talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

2 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

Conte to extend stay by 3 years?

The guy has spun around like the old Battling Tops game from the 70's in the last week ~ I have to say, I quite admire what he has done, however, while he has openly put the ball in the owners side of the court, it's unlikely he would change their mind on him. I am still of the mind he should be moved on. I am not sure who he would talk to at the club on a extension, I am told he has spoken to Marina since before Christmas.

Anyone agree with his claim we would just need 3 world class signings to compete for the title next season?

I said this a while back that we are three class signings away from competing on all fronts. A RWB, A CM, and another attacking player. 

Really irritates me when I see this, next Chelsea manager odds, blasted on every website and news article. Enrique, Emery, Allegri, whoever it is, the inevitable is always the same thing. It's a cycle to which our owner and board are too daft to see what the underlying problem is. For me, our board have a 5 step process.  1. Appoint new manager. 2. Do relatively better the previous season. 3. Make overpriced lackluster signings, ignoring managers requests and implementing an awful transfer strategy. 4. Do relatively worse the previous season and wonder why. 5. Sack manager as he is the only one to blame as we are awesome. Repeat step 1. 

We should be doing everything we can to keep Conte, as from a coaching perspective, he is the best we've had in a long time.

Willy and Luiz should be back for today. Still no striker fit on our hands as we sold our only fit striker. Another 3-4-3 with three wingers these games give me so much joy. Mostly because no one can bring the ball down, can't hold the ball for longer than five seconds. Our only chance is to bang a few early like against Huddersfield and hope they can't fight back. We really need either Morata or Giroud to play tonight. Still i think Giroud will just get a bench spot at best. 

13 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Finally watched the game back.

Have to say full credit to Bournemouth, a long with Man City earlier this season, the best team I've seen tactically here in a long time. They used their extra rest well and took full of advantage of the energy, man on man high press, one forward for each of our centre backs, two men for Kante and Bakayoko. Pressing traps were constant, the images below are in and around the period where they score their second and third goals but they did it for the whole game until the last twenty minutes where they sat off and saw out the game and interestingly that is when we also had our best spell. We like the comfort of being able to transition into midfield, we like to be comfortable in that regard, Conte builds his teams from this basis and all Bournemouth did was kill us at source. Out of the back five I'd say only Christensen has the ability to play under pressure, Rudiger and Azpi are OK but short of the top players in that department. We were forced to kick long on many occasion and who to? Hazard? Pedro? Only a matter of time before we conceded. I was very impressed with Bournemouth when they came here to last season. As early as a few weeks after the famous formation change last season I always feared what would happen if team's high pressed us and conducted it in such a way like Bournemouth did on Wednesday, what would be our answer? Our we good enough to play out of it? No. Do we have other alternatives? At the moment no.

Bournemouth's high pressing game.

sF0R0MG.jpg

cDVfQLr.jpg

880t2HS.jpg

naGr4ec.jpg

Been saying it for ages, crowd the midfield press the back three and you get a win against Chelsea. It has happened plenty times this season. We look a bit more stable with 3-5-2 but attack wise we have no width and we attack with two players and defend with the rest.

On 2/1/2018 at 06:51, Cicero said:

Domino effect best to describe our current situation.  

Whole bunch of mistakes have been made by the board and Conte, but more so the former as day one into the season, we were not prepared. Buying Injured players, buying average players, and not having the squad ready on match days are just a few of the numerous bad decisions we have made this season. Not having the funds is no longer an excuses. 

The board's handling of transfers have blatantly effected Conte. Just look at him. Tired and disinterested due to his lack of power. Whereas that mentality is reflecting on our players. 

This seems to happen a lot with Chelsea, probably because of the really high managierial turnover they can sense when Abramovic might be losing patience with the manager... and they just play within themselves and not give a fuck. Which in turn basically condemns Conte/whoever the manager is at the time to shit performances and results... leading to a sacking.

45 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I said this a while back that we are three class signings away from competing on all fronts. A RWB, A CM, and another attacking player. 

Really irritates me when I see this, next Chelsea manager odds, blasted on every website and news article. Enrique, Emery, Allegri, whoever it is, the inevitable is always the same thing. It's a cycle to which our owner and board are too daft to see what the underlying problem is. For me, our board have a 5 step process.  1. Appoint new manager. 2. Do relatively better the previous season. 3. Make overpriced lackluster signings, ignoring managers requests and implementing an awful transfer strategy. 4. Do relatively worse the previous season and wonder why. 5. Sack manager as he is the only one to blame as we are awesome. Repeat step 1. 

We should be doing everything we can to keep Conte, as from a coaching perspective, he is the best we've had in a long time.

I think there is truth to what you say on Conte's time at the club, but the steps you tap out can hardly be pointed at Jose 2nd time around who asked for two players after his first year and got them both. The player decisions he made on letting go were from what we are told were against the advice of those in other high positions at the club.

For me, the board\whoever were responsible for bringing players who now frequent other top English clubs after being let go by Jose cant have blame pointed towards them after they saw all the wonderful work they did taking in young talent being turned away before flowering to fruition elsewhere. For years I heard Chelsea fans asking for young players to be brought to the club\brought through,  instead of the expensive finished articles. Following Jose we have another manager who wants finished articles, someone who, from what his history shows at almost every club he has managed turns blame to anyone else he can throw crap at hoping it sticks. Do you know I think Juventus have played him like a poorly tuned Banjo with their left back. They have toyed with us knowing full well Conte will be driven insane by his choice not gained by the club. They know his weakness and have exposed it for all to see.

I have seen you write in the past you put more blame on the board than the manager for not being prepared. Well it wasnt them who failed to control who has turned out to be our most important player, forcing the club to sell him and replace with the managers choice who the last 3 months has fallen short of what is needed to lead the line in the PL. I feel, its the manager who has caused the major problem of this season, nobody else.

You see, I no longer believe in a manager needs to around a good length of time to be successful. You complain of all these sites media outlets ect leading with prices on Chelsea's new manager, which filters down to the weak minded on football boards like this and elsewhere to fuel up and believe they can beat us over the head with another change. Me? just makes me think new manager means, another trophy is on its way, which I might add come to Stamford Bridge more frequently than the managers.

Edited by The Liquidator
Spelling

8 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

I think there is truth to what you say on Conte's time at the club, but the steps you tap out can hardly be pointed at Jose 2nd time around who asked for two players after his first year and got them both. The player decisions he made on letting go were from what we are told were against the advice of those in other high positions at the club.

For me, the board\whoever were responsible for bringing players who now frequent other top English clubs after being let go by Jose cant have blame pointed towards them after they saw all the wonderful work they did taking in young talent being turned away before flowering to fruition elsewhere. For years I heard Chelsea fans asking for young players to be brought to the club\brought through,  instead of the expensive finished articles. Following Jose we have another manager who wants finished articles, someone who, from what his history shows at almost every club he has managed turns blame to anyone else he can throw crap at hoping it sticks. Do you know I think Juventus have played him like a poorly tuned Banjo with their left back. They have toyed with us knowing full well Conte will be driven insane by his choice not gained by the club. They know his weakness and have exposed it for all to see.

You see, I no longer believe in a manager needs to around a good length of time to be successful. You complain of all these sites media outlets ect leading with prices on Chelsea's new manager, which filters down to the weak minded on football boards like this and elsewhere to fuel up and believe they can beat us over the head with another change. Me? just makes me think new manager means, another trophy is on its way, which I might add come to Stamford Bridge more frequently than the managers.

Your first paragraph just emphasises the importance of Ron Gourlay. For me, there is no surprise that as soon as he left, our transfer activity has gone to the shitter. 

And with regards to Mourinho, It's true he suffered the same mistreatment, but unlike Conte, the latter's inevitable sacking will be less down to the manager and more the club. 

And given how appalling our transfer activity has been since Gourlay has left, just out of curiosity what gives you the sense that we will continue to be successful sacking manager after manager if our recent transfer habits continue? We sack Conte I can honestly see us turning into 2012 Liverpool. 

Edited by Cicero

39 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Your first paragraph just emphasises the importance of Ron Gourlay. For me, there is no surprise that as soon as he left, our transfer activity has gone to the shitter. 

And with regards to Mourinho, It's true he suffered the same mistreatment, but unlike Conte, the latter's inevitable sacking will be less down to the manager and more the club. 

And given how appalling our transfer activity has been since Gourlay has left, just out of curiosity what gives you the sense that we will continue to be successful sacking manager after manager if our recent transfer habits continue? We sack Conte I can honestly see us turning into 2012 Liverpool. 

Wow, I have 100's of Chelsea friends and I am involved in a private Chelsea board with over 2000 members and never have I heard anybody, infact, I am struggling to think of any media pundit-outlet to praise anything Gourlay did once he stepped up. Very original Cicero. I dont agree, but appreciate your point of view.

Your latter question is answered like this. Our Roman history is littered with new coaches concentrating the players minds to silverware, including the Interim one completing our set of European trophies. While we reached a new low losing out to Arsenal a week or so ago, a club we have played with like a Cat toying with a Mouse for over a decade, I believe, and it seems Conte is in agreement, we are further along than any other club other than City. New signings or for me, once these current signings get a season under their belts we should be fine. Without Conte dragging the club down each time he gets near a microphone, we will do as we always do.

Against that, it must be said I believe the owners eyes are fixed on payment of the new stadium, plus I was told he is set on getting residency in Switzerland. Obviously undertaking a project like a new stadium shows he is still 100% into the club, but how we are paying for it, his none writing off money at the end of each season of late and his surprise choice of a new central Europe home are all factors that may paint our silverware future a little slower than we are used too. However, I stand by a change of manager will again have us repeat recent history.

9 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Wow, I have 100's of Chelsea friends and I am involved in a private Chelsea board with over 2000 members and never have I heard anybody, infact, I am struggling to think of any media pundit-outlet to praise anything Gourlay did once he stepped up. Very original Cicero. I dont agree, but appreciate your point of view.

Your latter question is answered like this. Our Roman history is littered with new coaches concentrating the players minds to silverware, including the Interim one completing our set of European trophies. While we reached a new low losing out to Arsenal a week or so ago, a club we have played with like a Cat toying with a Mouse for over a decade, I believe, and it seems Conte is in agreement, we are further along than any other club other than City. New signings or for me, once these current signings get a season under their belts we should be fine. Without Conte dragging the club down each time he gets near a microphone, we will do as we always do.

Against that, it must be said I believe the owners eyes are fixed on payment of the new stadium, plus I was told he is set on getting residency in Switzerland. Obviously undertaking a project like a new stadium shows he is still 100% into the club, but how we are paying for it, his none writing off money at the end of each season of late and his surprise choice of a new central Europe home are all factors that may paint our silverware future a little slower than we are used too. However, I stand by a change of manager will again have us repeat recent history.

It's strange and gives some thought of a correlation. He was involved in the day to day operations of the club and I just find it bizarre how as soon as he leaves, Marina Granovskai is then given more influence and power. That was when we started signing the Rahmans, Papy's, Hectors, Pato's, etc. 

Can't agree with the concept we are on a 'fixed payment', as we are spending money, just not appropriately which is my main gripe. For example, selling Chalobah for absolute peanuts and then buying Drinkwater for 30 million. 

8 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Not even close. Its was obvious lcfc players quit trying! The Chelsea players are trying, but its an average team with no Costa and matic.....

I knew Kante was going to be exposed this season, but never imagined it was going to be this bad!

Kante isn't exposed. He is playing next to a donkey, flanked by two donkeys at the wing-backs, and is covering several donkeys at the centre-half. If anything he has been a decent donkey shepherd. Matic would just be another donkey to add to the misery.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Not even close. Its was obvious lcfc players quit trying! The Chelsea players are trying, but its an average team with no Costa and matic.....

I knew Kante was going to be exposed this season, but never imagined it was going to be this bad!

i'll take that as a compliment that you think our squad was better than average ;)

9 hours ago, True Blue said:

Been saying it for ages, crowd the midfield press the back three and you get a win against Chelsea. It has happened plenty times this season. We look a bit more stable with 3-5-2 but attack wise we have no width and we attack with two players and defend with the rest.

It happened a fair few times last season as well and it was something I was worried about even in the early days of when we changed the formation. 

Teams have done it in the past but I haven’t seen teams do it with the effectiveness and consistency City, Bournemouth and even Arsenal have done it. There’s been teams that have done it in short periods but eventually retreated and others who just sit back and in that case the majority of the time we win the game.

It isn’t as simple as press high and you’ll beat us. The opposition have to play well, avoid stupid mistakes and have something about them. Newcastle in the league earlier in the season for example score first as a result of a period of high pressing (surprise, surprise) but go on to sit back and commit some very poor defensive mistakes and we go on to win the game.

The problem is our system is machine like, it relies on certain movements and passing patterns. It use to have fluidity but now teams are clogging the system at source.

Edited by carefreeluke

Two of the worst performances I can say I have seen for a long time.. total collapse defensively in both games and all since we lost Christensen, such a poor couple of games it's hard to know where to start.. 

Ever notice that as soon as the media start banging on about how the Manager is just a few steps away from the exit that performances on the pitch start taking a serious nosedive swiftly followed by another Manager sacking then starting all over again... 

On-loan Chelsea defender Matt Miazga has been fined by his club Vitesse Arnhem for grabbing the groin area of an opponent.

Miazga was playing for the Dutch side in an Eredivise match against Heerenveen on January 20 when he clashed with Denzel Dumfries.

The incident went unpunished at the time, but Miazga's club have now issued the 22-year-old with an unspecified fine.

xDxD

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Bakayoko posting pictures of his fancy cars on his social media. Seriously not making his situation any better, especially towards the ones that continue to bash him. 

One of the worst players I've ever seen at Chelsea

Conte was fiery post-match after the Watford game, obviously slightly rattled by everything. He's also gone from saying last season that he doesn't sleep after dropping points, to this season where he said he has 'no problems sleeping', 'I sleep well'.  I also think he's brought a lot of negativity onto himself with his comments throughout this season and I don't completely buy the story that the board have failed to back him.

One of the softest red cards I've seen in a long time for Bakayoko against Watford but the reality was he was dreadful, like really bad in that first half. Would be interesting to see the difference if he joined the previous season where he'd have joined a team that was full of confidence, I wonder what difference that would have made. I'm still quietly confident about him though.

Courtois has also been dreadful the last two games.

Thibo has been shit forever, good keeper but not as good as people suggest. He had our tight defense to thank last season, when our defense isn't up for it he is lost. 

As for Conte think he "lost" the dressing room, no one can actually tell me that a month ago last year we were undefeated in 10-11 games won most of them and all the sudden we concede 7 in two games while we conceded 16 in 24 games.