talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Can Manchester United Win the Premier League?

• Subscriber

They're capable of it but I can't see it happening. Liverpool are bound to raise their game again soon and United will inevitably hit some bumps in the road too. Sheffield United could still win the league mathematically.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Yep, hands up I will admit that my hatred other than the obvious rivalry is all down to the successful team you had throughout most the 90's and early 00's.

It sickened me you always won. Even when you looked like dropping points you go and bastarding win the fucking game in time added on of the original time added on. 

And I couldn't stand old Bacon face. He was the master and you can't take that away from him, but he was a bloody wind up cunt xD The power he held over everyone was unbelievable. Obviously a testament to him and you though.

I don't ever want those times back. It was insufferable for me and I'd rather anyone win it than you, won't lie. 

If you do win it, I will take the rose tinted spectacles off and respect it because it shows you've done something right. You don't win a league without good reason.

However I agree with you, I think you are a bit short and I firmly believe if City and Liverpool were at their level, we wouldn't be having this discussion (much to @DeadLinesman frustration) but credit where it's due, they aren't and you keep chugging away. You are winning games you were easily dropping points in over the last 3-4 years and it's a sign of a winning mentality.

Dare I say it, but Bruno coming into that team feels a bit like the Cantona catalyst. I just hope to god it doesn't have the same outcome.

On the contrary I was always happy for United to win it growing up because it meant Arsenal didn’t 

Honestly bar the odd poster I’m struggling to see this anti-United rhetoric on here. You know when United are doing well because the world is suddenly against them. Personally I like to see a competitive United because who wants to watch a team under perform for years? (Except Liverpool and Leeds fans)

I don’t see why United can’t win the league this year, there is no big side like there has been the last 3 seasons. At this point in the competition last season Liverpool has accrued 13 extra points, there is no 90-95+ point team in the division this year and it opens everything up for anyone who can chuck 80 points on the board.

I don’t massively rate Ole as a top level manager and his game plan in general, but he’s done a good job of getting Rashford firing and identifying Fernandes. Those two really carry this team. The one good thing he has done is got United back to the point Mourinho had them when they finished second though it’s taken a couple of years, even though he took over essentially the exact same group of players.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

Honestly bar the odd poster I’m struggling to see this anti-United rhetoric on here. You know when United are doing well because the world is suddenly against them. Personally I like to see a competitive United because who wants to watch a team under perform for years? (Except Liverpool and Leeds fans)

From a football fan perspective, if it means we get to see the fiery, hotly-anticipated, tense, exciting derbies between Man Utd and Liverpool again then I don't mind them being competitive.

From a fan of a club that wants to break in to the 'top 6' and establish ourselves there regularly, then yes, I also want to see United (and any of the top 6) under-perform for years :) 

Just now, Stan said:

From a football fan perspective, if it means we get to see the fiery, hotly-anticipated, tense, exciting derbies between Man Utd and Liverpool again then I don't mind them being competitive.

From a fan of a club that wants to break in to the 'top 6' and establish ourselves there regularly, then yes, I also want to see United (and any of the top 6) under-perform for years :) 

Let’s be honest United Liverpool is one of the worst rivalries going for excitement, generally boring and tight affairs. The real rivalry I want to see is United v Arsenal in full swing.

But you make a valid point as a rival for the top 6...outside of it though just doesn’t really make sense

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Danny said:

Let’s be honest United Liverpool is one of the worst rivalries going for excitement, generally boring and tight affairs. The real rivalry I want to see is United v Arsenal in full swing.

But you make a valid point as a rival for the top 6...outside of it though just doesn’t really make sense

I know, that's why I said if it can go back to how it used to be then it's good :D 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

I know, that's why I said if it can go back to how it used to be then it's good :D 

It's rare for both sides to be involved in the title race at the same time. United were no where in terms of the league for much of the 70s and 80s, same with Liverpool in the 90s and 00s. The only one that most of us will remember where they've gone head to head for the title will be 08/09

13 minutes ago, Stan said:

It was shit back in the day tbh, neither side wanted to lose so didn’t try to win. Late 90s/early 00s United/Arsenal was peak Premier League

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It's rare for both sides to be involved in the title race at the same time. United were no where in terms of the league for much of the 70s and 80s, same with Liverpool in the 90s and 00s. The only one that most of us will remember where they've gone head to head for the title will be 08/09

42 minutes ago, Danny said:

It was shit back in the day tbh, neither side wanted to lose so didn’t try to win. Late 90s/early 00s United/Arsenal was peak Premier League

Not sure if we're crossing wires here. 

I'm just talking about the games from 90s/00s, not necessarily whether there was a title race or not between the 2. Looking back to that era I remember some good, feisty games between them. Torres tearing Vidic's arse on more than one occasion is a fond memory xD

And yes, United vs Arsenal was also one of the best in that era before they became God-awful 'rather watch paint dry then tear my eyes out' boring. 

The Manchester United v Arsenal games were good for a period, but it's not a proper rivalry, as shown by the fact by that the teams no longer care about each other. There was never any serious animosity underpinning the games. A rivalry without hatred is no such thing, I'd argue that there are no particuarly good rivalries in England. Certainly in comparison to wonderfully hateful Old Firm which is one of the truest and greatest rivalries in sport.

Manchester United can win the league for sure, they'll get no better chance either. 

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

The Manchester United v Arsenal games were good for a period, but it's not a proper rivalry, as shown by the fact by that the teams no longer care about each other. There was never any serious animosity underpinning the games. A rivalry without hatred is no such thing, I'd argue that there are no particuarly good rivalries in England. Certainly in comparison to wonderfully hateful Old Firm which is one of the truest and greatest rivalries in sport.

Manchester United can win the league for sure, they'll get no better chance either. 

I’d say it was a rivalry between players rather than the actual teams that kept it going.

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/01/2021 at 13:19, Danny said:

The real rivalry I want to see is United v Arsenal in full swing.

Since the 60's Liverpool v manu is one of the biggest rivalries in club football.

It's followed all over the world with hundreds of millions watching.

Arsenal v manu? meh:coffee:

1 hour ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Since the 60's Liverpool v manu is one of the biggest rivalries in club football.

It's followed all over the world with hundreds of millions watching.

Arsenal v manu? meh:coffee:

It being big doesn’t take away from the fact it is very boring, millions watch it because they’re the two biggest teams in the world, not because it’s particularly exciting.

34 minutes ago, Danny said:

It being big doesn’t take away from the fact it is very boring, millions watch it because they’re the two biggest teams in the world, not because it’s particularly exciting.

Take away what fact exactly?

What are you basing on your opinion that Liverpool v Manu games are any more "boring" than any other big game, including manu v arsenal?

6 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Take away what fact exactly?

What are you basing on your opinion that Liverpool v Manu games are any more "boring" than any other big game, including manu v arsenal?

Because it is very common knowledge that United vs Liverpool is generally not the most exciting affair, renowned under Ferguson for being a game neither tram tried to win cos they didn’t wanna lose.

Where as back in the early noughties Arsenal and Liverpool went blow for blow with eachother with the title on the line, that was United vs Arsenal in full swing.

10 minutes ago, Danny said:

Because it is very common knowledge that United vs Liverpool is generally not the most exciting affair, renowned under Ferguson for being a game neither tram tried to win cos they didn’t wanna lose.

Where as back in the early noughties Arsenal and Liverpool went blow for blow with eachother with the title on the line, that was United vs Arsenal in full swing.

Sorry but I don't agree about this common knowledge of yours?

I think you might be confusing personal opinion with fact Danny.:what:

7 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Sorry but I don't agree about this common knowledge of yours?

I think you might be confusing personal opinion with fact Danny.:what:

I think you might be confusing my response with actually caring :hh:

Archived