• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Do You Rate Raheem Sterling?

How Good is Raheem Sterling?  

16 members have voted

  1. 1. Raheem Sterling; What do you think

    • He's Bang Average!
    • He's a decent player!
    • Meh. No opinion either way!


Recommended Posts

Enjoyed that debate to be fair, but it's the wrong thread. I'd like to see this argument continue in the Everton thread if you're still game. First person to say 'Cunt' loses the debate and has to change his username to King Raheem for a week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Madlad is spot on though - Sterling would walk into the Everton, who's better than him exactly?

He had a good season for City and although he's still got some weaknesses in his game, he's a very good player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think to call a 22 year old, who has hit double figures in each of his last four seasons, 'wank' or 'average' is madness. It's easy to forget that he's still young with plenty of time to improve. Maybe he hasn't progressed as much as he should have and is still inconsistent but he's still a very useful player for Man City and would be for any side in this league

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than Chelsea I can't see a side in the league Sterling wouldn't walk into and even then he'd get a lot of game time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On his day he is very good. For some reason 'his day' hasn't been nearly enough for city. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's a top 6 team player, but he needs a strong manager to kick him up the arse. I actually think someone like Koeman would be a good man manager for him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think 10 goals and 21 assists in 47 games is exactly the type of numbers you'd want from a winger. It also suggests his end product is improving which was something he was criticised for when he first broke through. 

I don't want to say much more for fear of letting myself down :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I do actually believe he'd be a good addition to any club with the exception of Tottenham, Arsenal and United. I do believe with a strong manager like Koeman you'd see more from consistency from him. To that end. I could see him being a more than effective player at Everton.

Come at me bro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing special, which can be said for a lot of wingers in this league. There's only really one top class one and that's Hazard. I wouldn't even say he's better than Sane, Mane, Pedro, Mahrez (he still playing wide?). He's in that next bracket down. 

Got plenty of time to progress though and he's under a good manager for him to do that, if he can get games next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Danny said:

Other than Chelsea I can't see a side in the league Sterling wouldn't walk into and even then he'd get a lot of game time.

Well he wouldn't get in our side...but he'd be a great squad option would play a lot of games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I think 10 goals and 21 assists in 47 games is exactly the type of numbers you'd want from a winger. It also suggests his end product is improving which was something he was criticised for when he first broke through. 

I don't want to say much more for fear of letting myself down :ph34r:

Watch yourself or you're going to get a smacked bottom 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Storts said:

Watch yourself or you're going to get a smacked bottom 

I hope you're saving a smack for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Batard said:

I hope you're saving a smack for me

I've got something else lined up for you 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Storts said:

I've got something else lined up for you 

You're going to dress as Raheem Sterling in an Everton kit?

Props to myself here for subverting my own thread. You may administer TWO smacks for me ... and the kinky stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any hype player runs the risk of polarizing people's views based on a reaction to the hype more than the player himself. Its a huge factor with English players in particular. 

Sterling is a very good player with great potential. A good man manager that could help him to build his game further will be great for him and for England. Not sure if Pep is ideal in that as gut feel he's the type of manager to work his hardest with players that fit his traditional mould.

 

Edited by Harry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rate him. There's 2 unlikeable things about him though.

One being his decision-making can be a bit questionable at times. Like how Jesus Navas can be but Sterling is obviously a better option than him. And the good thing for Sterling is that this can be rectified and improved upon. Gotta remember he is only 22 so has plenty of time to become even better than he is.

The other thing is his running style which is like something out of the Flintstones xD. Don't think that'll change as he gets older though. 

Like others have said, he'd get in to the majority of sides in the Premier League, including Everton. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's definitely improved under Guardiola. He seems to do well when he doesn't get a lot of time to think about things. At Liverpool there was sometimes the feeling that he was being looked to all the time do make something happen. 

He makes clever runs in behind and can beat a man quickly, and playing as a more kind of traditional winger under Guardiola has allowed to him to focus on those qualities. Rather than overthinking every time the ball comes to him, he can just put in a quick cross or cut-back, or arrive in the box for a tap-in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

I think 10 goals and 21 assists in 47 games is exactly the type of numbers you'd want from a winger. It also suggests his end product is improving which was something he was criticised for when he first broke through. 

I don't want to say much more for fear of letting myself down :ph34r:

Wow, I had no idea that was his stat-line this season. You won't find to many wingers with production levels like that, you couldn't really ask for more. To contribute to 31 goals across a season is very impressive.

I think Raheem is a very good player already and will push on even more. He has been very good this season and I'm sure he will continue to progress under Pep. It's ridiculous to claim he is shite, you don't consistently play for two of the best teams in the league at his age if you're bang average. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically he's quite poor - finishing, dribbling, crossing - but he gets away with a lot because of his pace. There's no problem with that, but it does mean that he'll never be the main man in a top team, because if you defend deep against, him he's fucked.

Also what is this nonsense that he'd walk into any team in the league bar Chelsea? He won't walk into City's team now (hence this discussion) and he wouldn't get in the first XI for Tottenham or Liverpool. That's all of the top 4, which I believe was the point of the comment that started all of this.

14 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Wow, I had no idea that was his stat-line this season. You won't find to many wingers with production levels like that, you couldn't really ask for more. To contribute to 31 goals across a season is very impressive.

I think Raheem is a very good player already and will push on even more. He has been very good this season and I'm sure he will continue to progress under Pep. It's ridiculous to claim he is shite, you don't consistently play for two of the best teams in the league at his age if you're bang average. 

It's not. I don't know where MadLad's got that from but he scored 10 and assisted 9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Technically he's quite poor - finishing, dribbling, crossing - but he gets away with a lot because of his pace. There's no problem with that, but it does mean that he'll never be the main man in a top team, because if you defend deep against, him he's fucked.

Also what is this nonsense that he'd walk into any team in the league bar Chelsea? He won't walk into City's team now (hence this discussion) and he wouldn't get in the first XI for Tottenham or Liverpool. That's all of the top 4, which I believe was the point of the comment that started all of this.

It's not. I don't know where MadLad's got that from but he scored 10 and assisted 9.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/raheem-sterling/profil/spieler/134425

Pretty clear it's right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raheem is still clearly a very talented boy. However with the way football is going I hope he's not naive enough to keep focusing on what he's good at and considers learning another position, whether it's full back or just behind two forwards, as pacey wingers are slowly not being used as much as they were a couple of years ago.

At the moment I wouldn't have him in the England squad because as a system I think Kane and Alli up top with Lallana behind would work best. That's why it seems important that he becomes versatile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Stan said:

I rate him. There's 2 unlikeable things about him though.

One being his decision-making can be a bit questionable at times. Like how Jesus Navas can be but Sterling is obviously a better option than him. And the good thing for Sterling is that this can be rectified and improved upon. Gotta remember he is only 22 so has plenty of time to become even better than he is.

The other thing is his running style which is like something out of the Flintstones xD. Don't think that'll change as he gets older though. 

Like others have said, he'd get in to the majority of sides in the Premier League, including Everton. 

Hmmmm, I'm still of the mind the question here is, how good is Sterling is perceived rather than how people rate him ... As an extension, how good could Sterling be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7.5/10.

Would bang. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Batard said:

Hmmmm, I'm still of the mind the question here is, how good is Sterling is perceived rather than how people rate him ... 

but by getting people's ideas on how they rate him, you'd find out how he's perceived overall?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

but by getting people's ideas on how they rate him, you'd find out how he's perceived overall?

Perception is subjective, data is objective. I'm curious as to people's thoughts, however I must admit having seen Raheem's stats, I realised my own perception was skewed, I didn't think he was as effective as he's actually been. 

I've added a poll. Let's put this to bed. I'd be curious to see what fans don't rate him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Batard said:

Perception is subjective, data is objective. I'm curious as to people's thoughts, however I must admit having seen Raheem's stats, I realised my own perception was skewed, I didn't think he was as effective as he's actually been. 

I've added a poll. Let's put this to bed. I'd be curious to see what fans don't rate him. 

fair enough.

I opted for decent player. 

If he was being graded, I'd give him a B. Good season, good stats. Room for improvement to get him in to the next bracket of 'star' players. Perhaps more consistency needed.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

fair enough.

I opted for decent player. 

If he was being graded, I'd give him a B. Good season, good stats. Room for improvement to get him in to the next bracket of 'star' players. Perhaps more consistency needed.

I would concur with assessment, I'd be intrigued to see his stats in games against the top teams, likewise with Sane who I feel is very very similar to him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Batard said:

I would concur with assessment, I'd be intrigued to see his stats in games against the top teams, likewise with Sane who I feel is very very similar to him 

Raheem Sterling:
2-1 win vs Man Utd (A) - 59mins, no goals or assists
2-0 defeat vs Spurs (A) -  86mins
2-1 win vs Arsenal (H) - 90mins, 1 goal
1-0 defeat vs Liverpool (A), 90mins
2-2 draw vs Spurs (H) - 81mins, 1 assist
1-1 draw vs Liverpool (H) - 90mins
2-2 draw vs Arsenal (A) - 45mins
2-1 defeat vs Chelsea (A) - 12mins
0-0 draw vs Man Utd (H) - 85mins

638 minutes, 1 goal, 1 assist
 

Leroy Sane:
2-1 win vs Man Utd (A) - 31mins
2-0 defeat vs Spurs (A) - 4mins
3-1 defeat vs Chelsea (H) - 68mins
2-1 win vs Arsenal (H) - 75mins, 1 goal
2-2 draw vs Spurs (H) - 90mins, 1 goal
1-1 draw vs Liverpool (H) - 82mins 
2-2 draw vs Arsenal (A) - 90mins, 1 goal
2-1 defeat vs Chelsea (A) - 84mins
0-0 draw vs Man Utd (H) - 79mins

603 minutes, 3 goals.

Not too dissimilar in the big games that they had some part in. Sane didn't play much for the first half of the season, however, in any games. Made many more appearances in the 2nd half of the season so had more of a run of games. 

As a comparison, Sterling didn't play at all in 5 games overall. Sane didn't play at all in 12 games in the season. However, from Match 22 (so start of January I think), he played at least 60 minutes in all but one game. 

(stats taken from Fantasy League site)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement