talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

On 2/20/2018 at 15:46, Danny said:

Are you teaching through Uni or did you do one of those teach a foreign child English courses on the tinternet?

Looking into seeing if I could do one, you can do them and teach in Asia/South America but looking at living in Spain/south of France at some point 

I did a TEFL mate, a teaching qualification which in reality was a weekend course (two days in Paddington) and the other part was 30 hours of English grammar online which you can take as seriously as you want, you can whiz through it if need be. That's it and I'm teacher. xD Cost me 100 quid something. It's true though people often do more extensive training, over a month like the CELTA for example or there are longer TEFL courses as well. I know people in Spain though who have got English teaching jobs with nothing, no qualification or experience just they were a native speaker. Spain is really desperate for English teachers at the moment as everyone needs to learn English, there's been a big shift with that in Spain over the last 20 years. I reckon in 20-30 years there's going to be many Spaniards competent in English, similar to other countries in Europe where the English levels are high which is strange as this hasn't really been the case for Spain in the past.

In France it's more difficult to find work as an English teacher but of course it can be done.

44 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

I did a TEFL mate, a teaching qualification which in reality was a weekend course (two days in Paddington) and the other part was 30 hours of English grammar online which you can take as seriously as you want, you can whiz through it if need be. That's it and I'm teacher. xD Cost me 100 quid something. It's true though people often do more extensive training, over a month like the CELTA for example or there are longer TEFL courses as well. I know people in Spain though who have got English teaching jobs with nothing, no qualification or experience just they were a native speaker. Spain is really desperate for English teachers at the moment as everyone needs to learn English, there's been a big shift with that in Spain over the last 20 years. I reckon in 20-30 years there's going to be many Spaniards competent in English, similar to other countries in Europe where the English levels are high which is strange as this hasn't really been the case for Spain in the past.

In France it's more difficult to find work as an English teacher but of course it can be done.

Guess the term teacher can be applied quite broadly. Most people in Japan who complete TEFL or CELTA are assistant language teachers at schools. You can go into the after school system too, though. 

Where and who do you teach? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Spike said:

So since we didn't have health insurance for a bit and the insurance companies are fucking us royally we will probably be fined in the range of $3000. My wife thought she'd just hyphenate her last name with mine, I didn't really care at the time but it is coming back to haunt us as most websites won't accept characters outside of letters ergo making it impossible to verify identity.

Fuck you Obama and you're bullshit fucking catch at the end of the ACA. Yeah, just fine the people that can't afford health insurance, fucking cocksucker.

My good mate is moving back to the states (backwards Indiana) after 6 years living abroad, and he is seriously questioning his decision. Guns and insurance. Two fucked issues.

Just now, Toinho said:

My good mate is moving back to the states (backwards Indiana) after 6 years living abroad, and he is seriously questioning his decision. Guns and insurance. Two fucked issues.

I don't give two turds about guns because it doesn't affect me and it's scenario with no solution. Insurance on the other hand may have a solution...

49 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

I did the weekend, but my online course is 100 hours. :( I'm just about to start my first (of three) lesson planning assignments, I'm at unit 5 (of 11).

6 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

So do you act as a teaching assistant or actually teach classes? What ages do you teach? What's the hours/money situation with it like?

Sorry about the inquest 😂 Just contemplating it after going to New Zealand, just hope Brexit don't fuck it up

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Toinho said:

Guess the term teacher can be applied quite broadly. Most people in Japan who complete TEFL or CELTA are assistant language teachers at schools. You can go into the after school system too, though. 

Where and who do you teach? 

The ESL scene is completely fucked up here. They hire both native and non-native speakers, with degree and/or teaching qualifications, or none whatsoever - in fact, many schools are quite happy to hire someone who simply fits the description of being white and able to string two sentences together as that means they can get away with paying lower wages... So you basically have a bunch of completely unqualified backpackers with zero skills and no teaching experience posing as English teachers under a long-term contract in order to finance their booze-and-drugs-fueled trips and then fuck off after a few months, leaving the kids at school without a teacher in the middle of the school year, and then is replaced with another equally unqualified backpacker who has no intentions to commit to teaching either and just treats the job as "easy money" before fucking off to their two week yoga and meditation retreat or whatever, and still think they are god's gift to the locals. /rant over.

Edited by nudge
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I completed a CELTA (4 week course, costs about a grand) and then taught in Vietnam for over a year. If you complete a CELTA you will get a job with better pay and conditions and actually feel like a semi competent teaching (there is still so much to learn in 4 weeks, it’s a very intense course). Of course you can get jobs without any qualifications, to be frank, I wouldn’t bother with the weekend courses. They aren’t worth the paper they are written on, hence why they cost £100. In my experience, which is all from SE Asia if you are applying for a job that accepts a weekend course as a qualification, then they will also accept you with no TEFL qualifications. They will be accepting you on the basis that you are a native speaker and probably white. A white person looks a lot better to the parents etc. We had a very good teacher at my school who was English born, her dad was Singaporean and parents used to complain about her...

I strongly considered the weekend courses, obviously the cost being the biggest issue as I’m sure it is with everyone. If you can afford it and have the time the CELTA is certainly the way forward. It depends on your confidence and personality, but it’s not as easy as you might think standing in front of a class for two hours and keeping them occupied or entertained. You can’t possibly be prepared for that over a weekend course. I would argue a 4 week course doesn’t even prepare you adequately. Not only will you get better pay with a CELTA but you also will have the correct VISA and not have to do ‘border runs’ and all that kind of shit if you go to Asia. The cost of the course would pay itself back after about a years teaching i’d guess.

I think it’s slightly harder to get a job online in Asia with no qualifications, but if you’re on the ground you could just walk around schools for a day and get a job. Vietnam is by far best pay in SE Asia. Thailand is shit, Cambodia seems to be a developing ESL country but nudge would know better. There didn’t seem to be that many reputable jobs there when I briefly looked online.

Japan and Taiwan you can earn good money, South Korea is very good money. All of Europe seems to be pretty poor money from what I’ve seen, South America likewise. Or if you want to sell you soul for a year go to Saudi Arabia and you can earn silly money. I knew a bloke that worked there for 2 years. Said he saved 60k but he hated every single second of the two years there. He said when he told them he was leaving they offered to double his salary, but he couldn’t stay there another day. He said he got iPhones and shit given to him as present on teachers day lol.

I’ve rambled on

• Upvote 1

Im in my last year and applying for traineeships atm but the legal market is so fucked that im pretty sure I'm not getting anything this year. Meanwhile there's a 2-year 30k p.a. grad scheme with the Department for Intl Development open, and its in East Kilbride, which is about 10 minutes from my house.

I'm tempted to apply for it. It's going to be more money than a 2-year traineeship would be, even at a biggish law firm and probably for easier work. Plus the legal market would probably be more settled after 2 years and there will be more traineeships. The only thing is whether 2 years of non-legal work would fuck my chances of getting back into it - but then maybe they'd appreciate the practical experience.

Plus before you go into a traineeship you have to pay £8k to do your Diploma in Legal Practice for a year, so if I did the grad scheme I could save the money for it, rather than taking a loan.

Having to go into the real world is a pain in the arse.

Edited by Inverted

2 hours ago, Marc said:

I completed a CELTA (4 week course, costs about a grand) and then taught in Vietnam for over a year. If you complete a CELTA you will get a job with better pay and conditions and actually feel like a semi competent teaching (there is still so much to learn in 4 weeks, it’s a very intense course). Of course you can get jobs without any qualifications, to be frank, I wouldn’t bother with the weekend courses. They aren’t worth the paper they are written on, hence why they cost £100. In my experience, which is all from SE Asia if you are applying for a job that accepts a weekend course as a qualification, then they will also accept you with no TEFL qualifications. They will be accepting you on the basis that you are a native speaker and probably white. A white person looks a lot better to the parents etc. We had a very good teacher at my school who was English born, her dad was Singaporean and parents used to complain about her...

I strongly considered the weekend courses, obviously the cost being the biggest issue as I’m sure it is with everyone. If you can afford it and have the time the CELTA is certainly the way forward. It depends on your confidence and personality, but it’s not as easy as you might think standing in front of a class for two hours and keeping them occupied or entertained. You can’t possibly be prepared for that over a weekend course. I would argue a 4 week course doesn’t even prepare you adequately. Not only will you get better pay with a CELTA but you also will have the correct VISA and not have to do ‘border runs’ and all that kind of shit if you go to Asia. The cost of the course would pay itself back after about a years teaching i’d guess.

I think it’s slightly harder to get a job online in Asia with no qualifications, but if you’re on the ground you could just walk around schools for a day and get a job. Vietnam is by far best pay in SE Asia. Thailand is shit, Cambodia seems to be a developing ESL country but nudge would know better. There didn’t seem to be that many reputable jobs there when I briefly looked online.

Japan and Taiwan you can earn good money, South Korea is very good money. All of Europe seems to be pretty poor money from what I’ve seen, South America likewise. Or if you want to sell you soul for a year go to Saudi Arabia and you can earn silly money. I knew a bloke that worked there for 2 years. Said he saved 60k but he hated every single second of the two years there. He said when he told them he was leaving they offered to double his salary, but he couldn’t stay there another day. He said he got iPhones and shit given to him as present on teachers day lol.

I’ve rambled on

Teaching in the Middle East with a CELTA? I've seen some crazy teaching jobs out that way and met a lecturer who teaches in Qatar. Fucking hates it but is loaded. I'd rather enjoy my life. Never know what is going to happen next. 

I was on better money than most CELTA/TEFL jobs in Japan but I could've earned more if I really wanted to but valued my social life. 

4 week course sounds mad - considering an education bachelors is 4 years in Australia. Did you teach from a textbook? 

Edited by Toinho

34 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Teaching in the Middle East with a CELTA? I've seen some crazy teaching jobs out that way and met a lecturer who teaches in Qatar. Fucking hates it but is loaded. I'd rather enjoy my life. Never know what is going to happen next. 

I was on better money than most CELTA/TEFL jobs in Japan but I could've earned more if I really wanted to but valued my social life. 

4 week course sounds mad - considering an education bachelors is 4 years in Australia. Did you teach from a textbook? 

Yeah,. I wouldn't give up my life for the money in the middle east. Fuck that. I've never been but even Dubai sounds fucking awful to me, i really don't see the appeal in that place.

What qualifications did you have a proper teaching qualification from Oz? If so of course you would be on better money than someone that has just done a CELTA/TEFL.

In the ESL world I'd say someone with 4 weeks training is pretty qualified! There are the 'real' teachers that generally teach in international schools, then the CELTA teachers and then the weekend course teachers. From my experience the real teachers would work in international schools, then the rest would work in language centres or state schools.

I used the textbook as a basis and then taught around it, but yes I agree a 4 week course is nowhere near long enough to be a competent teacher, but it's a damn sight better than a 2 day weekend course. I'd say it took me till the 6 month mark till I felt like I was a competent teacher and doing a good job, before that I felt like a bit of a fraud. 

25 minutes ago, nudge said:

I know quite a few people who work as ESL teachers online, mostly for Chinese companies. There's apparently a huge demand, and the pay's quite good at 20-25$/hour.

I've heard lots of people talk about this but not many people actually doing it. It's always seemed like a bit of a myth to me. If it works though and it's a reputable company then it sounds like alright money.

China has a bad rep with teaching though, i've been told first hand horror stories of Visa issues and people spending night in cells because they didn't have the correct visa but the school told them they did xD 

11 minutes ago, Marc said:

Yeah,. I wouldn't give up my life for the money in the middle east. Fuck that. I've never been but even Dubai sounds fucking awful to me, i really don't see the appeal in that place.

What qualifications did you have a proper teaching qualification from Oz? If so of course you would be on better money than someone that has just done a CELTA/TEFL.

In the ESL world I'd say someone with 4 weeks training is pretty qualified! There are the 'real' teachers that generally teach in international schools, then the CELTA teachers and then the weekend course teachers. From my experience the real teachers would work in international schools, then the rest would work in language centres or state schools.

I used the textbook as a basis and then taught around it, but yes I agree a 4 week course is nowhere near long enough to be a competent teacher, but it's a damn sight better than a 2 day weekend course. I'd say it took me till the 6 month mark till I felt like I was a competent teacher and doing a good job, before that I felt like a bit of a fraud. 

Pretty much agree with all of that. 

I didn't do a 4 year education degree, I did a 3 year undergrad then went back to uni to do an intense 12 month Graduate Diploma of Education. I felt behind for a long time. 

As for the online tutoring/teaching thing, met a bloke in Cambodia who has been doing that for years and has just floated around the world whilst doing so. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Marc said:

I've heard lots of people talk about this but not many people actually doing it. It's always seemed like a bit of a myth to me. If it works though and it's a reputable company then it sounds like alright money.

China has a bad rep with teaching though, i've been told first hand horror stories of Visa issues and people spending night in cells because they didn't have the correct visa but the school told them they did xD 

I think it's a bit hit and miss; there are certainly a lot of dodgy ones, many of the legit ones have complicated hiring process and a lot of applicants get rejected, while at some others you get accepted easier but then struggle with getting students sign up to your classes... Seems to work for some people though, although it might take quite some time from applying to actually starting earning money. 

And yeah, I heard a lot of horror stories about teaching in China too, it's apparently a scam minefield xD 

@Toinho

I teach in Sevilla, kids and adults.

6 hours ago, Danny said:

So do you act as a teaching assistant or actually teach classes? What ages do you teach? What's the hours/money situation with it like?

Sorry about the inquest 😂 Just contemplating it after going to New Zealand, just hope Brexit don't fuck it up

I'm the sole teacher mate, a group of kids twice a week, the rest adults. I teach mainly in the afternoons/evenings from 16:00 to 21:30 but the schedule is different every day, sometimes I don't start until 18:00. It's Monday to Thursday but some academies are Monday to Friday, just depends. The academy where I work finishes later on average compared to others, most finish around 20:00 / 20:30.

Money isn't great in teaching English but standard of living in Spain for example is a lot cheaper, typical type of contracts tend to be around 20 hours and earning between 1000-1400 per month here in Spain. Obviously it just depends on the place, some offer more hours, some less etc. You can go to some parts of the world and earn a lot more though.

In Spain you can work in high schools but the majority of work is in academies, where students will come after school / work. Groups are small, on average no bigger than 8-10 students. An example, in my kids class there's 5 kids and the other academy where I work it's a maximum of four students per class but that's what that particular academy is marketed on, the classes being small and personalized. I've also picked up another class recently where I teach 15 adults most of them over 45 but this is not in an academy but through a different organisation.

I did little training to be a teacher but have a lot of experience with language learning which I think has helped me a lot also. I did Spanish and French at uni for example but also attempted beginners stuff in Mandarin, Portuguese and Italian. So this experience has helped me more than I probably realised at the start, through the years of language classes I picked up a lot of things and ideas and also became familiar with grammar terms. Being an English teacher means learning your own language!

I do take teaching seriously and really enjoy it to be honest and I've always loved the language learning environment. Never saw myself as teacher, it's nothing I would do at home but wanted to go back to Spain ever since I left in 2014 and teaching seemed the best option as there's tons of opportunities here for that. 

3 hours ago, Marc said:

I’ve rambled on

@Danny

Marc is right here about the CELTA being a lot better, it's really good training but very intense. It looks ten times better on your CV as well. The biggest question is whether you can afford to fork out over a grand though for the course. You are a lot more employable with a CELTA in Spain.

Edited by carefreeluke

I've just snapped two fingers. I was using a pick axe to rip up floor boards and must have hit steel, the shock went right through my hand and literally snapped two fingers, they are bent as fuck. Problem is, what do I do now for money? I will be out of work for atleast a month and I work through agencies, which means no sick pay, as far as I know. Also if I am eligible for a claim, that will take too long to come through.

I'm supposed to have gone straight to the infirmary, but fuck that, I need a nice spliff first(if I can even roll it), luckily its the 2 middle ones, so I can just about type.

Edited by The Rebel CRS
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

@Toinho

I teach in Sevilla, kids and adults.

I'm the sole teacher mate, a group of kids twice a week, the rest adults. I teach mainly in the afternoons/evenings from 16:00 to 21:30 but the schedule is different every day, sometimes I don't start until 18:00. It's Monday to Thursday but some academies are Monday to Friday, just depends. The academy where I work finishes later on average compared to others, most finish around 20:00 / 20:30.

Money isn't great in teaching English but standard of living in Spain for example is a lot cheaper, typical type of contracts tend to be around 20 hours and earning between 1000-1400 per month here in Spain. Obviously it just depends on the place, some offer more hours, some less etc. You can go to some parts of the world and earn a lot more though.

In Spain you can work in high schools but the majority of work is in academies, where students will come after school / work. Groups are small, on average no bigger than 8-10 students. An example, in my kids class there's 5 kids and the other academy where I work it's a maximum of four students per class but that's what that particular academy is marketed on, the classes being small and personalized. I've also picked up another class recently where I teach 15 adults most of them over 45 but this is not in an academy but through a different organisation.

I did little training to be a teacher but have a lot of experience with language learning which I think has helped me a lot also. I did Spanish and French at uni for example but also attempted beginners stuff in Mandarin, Portuguese and Italian. So this experience has helped me more than I probably realised at the start, through the years of language classes I picked up a lot of things and ideas and also became familiar with grammar terms. Being an English teacher means learning your own language!

I do take teaching seriously and really enjoy it to be honest and I've always loved the language learning environment. Never saw myself as teacher, it's nothing I would do at home but wanted to go back to Spain ever since I left in 2014 and teaching seemed the best option as there's tons of opportunities here for that. 

That seems mad that you just get sent into a class to teach straight off the bat, as has been mentioned I guess you have a book to go from. Obviously you speaking Spanish would make it easier for them, but do they already have a good English knowledge or is it beginners stuff?

And a grand or so a month doesn't sound bad, but how do you get that if the hours are so little?

Edited by Danny

40 minutes ago, Danny said:

That seems mad that you just get sent into a class to teach straight off the bat, as has been mentioned I guess you have a book to go from. Obviously you speaking Spanish would make it easier for them, but do they already have a good English knowledge or is it beginners stuff?

And a grand or so a month doesn't sound bad, but how do you get that if the hours are so little?

Depends what training you do mate, CELTA for example you'll do a lot of practice lessons and you can also do more extensive training courses. I did nothing like that, except for 10-15 minutes in front of my TEFL group where everyone had to teach something as practice. xD I started teaching in March 2017 which was a teaching internship in Seville which helped ease me into it nicely, got to see how everything works etc and I was only given one to one lessons or small classes of adults. One of the classes I taught in this internship for example was optional for the students, it came free with the classes they payed for and it was mainly conversation based. I was very nervous the first class I taught (as I hadn't done any teaching practice previously like on the CELTA for example) but like anything you get into the swing of things after a while.

In most cases mate, unless you're learning at school, language classes are taught in the target language from the very beginning. If you want to learn Italian for example and you start having Italian classes, in most cases, the classes will all be in Italian from the very beginning. It's to get students accustomed to the language early on. This isn't always the case, for example it may depend on where the teacher is from and what languages they know but in the majority of cases language lessons are conducted in the language you're learning. You'll teach a variety of levels and everything works in the European framework of language, A1 to C2, with A1-A2 being beginners, B1-B2 more intermediate, C1-C2 a high level. In London over the summer for example, I sometimes taught an A1 class of around 15 Chinese students, they had a very low level of English but do I know Mandarin? No. It's not a problem. You just have to slow down you're speaking and a lot can be done with body language and through visual learning as well. You also have a lot of books designed for the different levels. Knowing Spanish for example in my case helps especially with the younger kids but it isn't essential, many come here with no knowledge of Spanish and many go around the world teaching with little or no knowledge of the language of the country in which they're teaching.

And hours vary, 20-30 is about the average of a full time contract here in Spain but it depends on where and what type of teaching you're doing. You also need a lot of time to prepare lessons especially early on, lesson prep is the big downside of teaching but you get quicker and better at it as time goes by. Having a degree is also one of the requirements employers look for but I'm not sure how essential this is.

Edited by carefreeluke
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

And hours vary, 20-30 is about the average of a full time contract here in Spain but it depends on where and what type of teaching you're doing. You also need a lot of time to prepare lessons especially early on, lesson prep is the big downside of teaching but you get quicker and better at it as time goes by. Having a degree is also one of the requirements employers look for but I'm not sure how essential this is.

Most of them I've seen when looking for jobs in France say that they prefer people with a degree, but it's not necessarily essential. Also the pay is usually around €18 an hour...d'you think a new teacher would start on that or is that for experienced teachers?

It was weird sensation when I fucked my fingers, it was like a vibration through my bones as if they just shattered inside and then I looked at them and they look like that UFC fighter's leg when he snapped it. It knocked me sick. I still haven't been to the infirmary but i'm going to head there in the next hour or so. Codeine and cannabis have done the trick in the meantime :ph34r:

Edited by The Rebel CRS

• Administrator
1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I've just snapped two fingers. I was using a pick axe to rip up floor boards and must have hit steel, the shock went right through my hand and literally snapped two fingers, they are bent as fuck. Problem is, what do I do now for money? I will be out of work for atleast a month and I work through agencies, which means no sick pay, as far as I know. Also if I am eligible for a claim, that will take too long to come through.

I'm supposed to have gone straight to the infirmary, but fuck that, I need a nice spliff first(if I can even roll it), luckily its the 2 middle ones, so I can just about type.

i love the fact you care about this place to tell us this more than going to the infirmary as well. Top class commitment :D 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

It was weird sensation when I fucked my fingers, it was like a vibration through my bones as if they just shattered inside and then I looked at them and they look like that UFC fighter's leg when he snapped it. It knocked me sick. I still haven't been to the infirmary but i'm going to head there in the next hour or so. Codeine and cannabis have done the trick in the meantime :ph34r:

Just go to the doctor!!! :/