talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

Just now, Blue said:

What do you mean by work remote?

I am thinking about the job. I'd have to cover football and husky sledding. Its one of the biggest papers in Yukon too, so it would really be kicking off my career. My only concern is it would be a big sacrifice as I don't know anyone in Yukon. I'm also worried about my anxiety. I have improved hugely on that and am not as anxious as I used to be, but given there are only 25,000 people there, it worries me a bit.

At the same time, I know its the right place to go if I want to move forward. Its just a risk in terms of backup from others.

What do you think 'work remote' means? xD It means working remotely from an occupations main office. 
You aren't going to live in the Yukon forever, don't think of it like that. It doesn't matter if you don't know anyone, because you will know people in time. It doesn't matter how many people live there, 25,000 just means it's a closer knit community. Why would you prefer living around 12,000,000 people you don't know as opposed to 25,000?

Just now, Spike said:

What do you think 'work remote' means? xD It means working remotely from an occupations main office. 
You aren't going to live in the Yukon forever, don't think of it like that. It doesn't matter if you don't know anyone, because you will know people in time. It doesn't matter how many people live there, 25,000 just means it's a closer knit community. Why would you prefer living around 12,000,000 people you don't know as opposed to 25,000?

Oh, I have worked in one office before. It was a low key job for a well known page/press in Peru, and I think I do well.

Yeah, I wouldn't live there forever, I agree. I have Canadian citizenship so going there is a piece of cake. You are right though that I shouldn't be worried, just because I am 20 its a bit of a new concept to me but if I do decide to go for it, it would be a fantastic decision if things go right.

@Blue YOU ARE A JOURNALIST! You are mean to MEET PEOPLE! Don't be anxious and don't be afraid. Imagine another company seeing how far you'd commit to your career. They see you'd move from Peru to the Yukon! There isn't any other way to cut that but impressive. That is worldly experience, that is a culture far removed from the rest of Canada and Peru.

Just now, Spike said:

@Blue YOU ARE A JOURNALIST! You are mean to MEET PEOPLE! Don't be anxious and don't be afraid. Imagine another company seeing how far you'd commit to your career. They see you'd move from Peru to the Yukon! There isn't any other way to cut that but impressive. That is worldly experience, that is a culture far removed from the rest of Canada and Peru.

I think you missed my point slightly as I moved to Canada at 6 years old and already knew people in Peru when I moved back, but again thanks for the compliment and tip. My only REAL concern is how its a new concept to me. Its scary at first, but it should go away in time. I love meeting people, I'm very outgoing - its just since I know no one there now it can be scary at first. I'm very intrugued in the job though, I really want it. Its a matter of if I can.

Just now, Blue said:

I think you missed my point slightly as I moved to Canada at 6 years old and already knew people in Peru when I moved back, but again thanks for the compliment and tip. My only REAL concern is how its a new concept to me. Its scary at first, but it should go away in time. I love meeting people, I'm very outgoing - its just since I know no one there now it can be scary at first. I'm very intrugued in the job though, I really want it. Its a matter of if I can.

I didn't miss your point at all, I'm saying that the Yukon is different to Canada and Peru. You can't say with a straight face that Toronto is the same as living in the arctic.

I've had opportunities like this pass by me. It happens, but opportunities aren't going to throw themselves at you. Life doesn't wait for you. Look at me! I took a punt on a new country, and a new life. It may not be perfect but I wouldn't have met many wonderful people, I wouldn't have married my wife, and I wouldn't be who I am right now. Maybe it was the wrong choice, maybe it wasn't, it doesn't matter. 

Just now, Spike said:

I didn't miss your point at all, I'm saying that the Yukon is different to Canada and Peru. You can't say with a straight face that Toronto is the same as living in the arctic.

I've had opportunities like this pass by me. It happens, but opportunities aren't going to throw themselves at you. Life doesn't wait for you. Look at me! I took a punt on a new country, and a new life. It may not be perfect but I wouldn't have met many wonderful people, I wouldn't have married my wife, and I wouldn't be who I am right now. Maybe it was the wrong choice, maybe it wasn't, it doesn't matter. 

Yeah, I know a lot of people who took a similar route, and I think its a good one to take. Out of curiousity, how long ago did you move to the USA?

You are very right that opportunities aren't going to throw themselves at me, and the media here in Peru are all mafias. I've been looking for a job for a while and I should take one that's a very good choice in a very reliable country.

Just now, Blue said:

Yeah, I know a lot of people who took a similar route, and I think its a good one to take. Out of curiousity, how long ago did you move to the USA?

You are very right that opportunities aren't going to throw themselves at me, and the media here in Peru are all mafias. I've been looking for a job for a while and I should take one that's a very good choice in a very reliable country.

Four years ago at...20.

Just now, Spike said:

Four years ago at...20.

Wow, you are only 4 years older than I am. Fair play! That comforts me a bit more. Was work the motive?

Just now, Blue said:

Wow, you are only 4 years older than I am. Fair play! That comforts me a bit more. Was work the motive?

No, I wanted to travel and I knew a girl that lived there, and we ended up together!

Off for 12 days now.. hoping the weather stays semi decent so I can get the garden project out the way while I am off

Strange that I am taking 12 days off of work to come home and do 12 days worth of work in the garden... Normally when I am off I try to do the least amount possible

23 hours ago, Spike said:

Speaking of traveling, how is your crisis coming along?

Struggling due to having no holidays booked but in 2.5 weeks it's school holidays so that will help...

But, still thinking of the Americas next year for sure. 

10 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Off for 12 days now.. hoping the weather stays semi decent so I can get the garden project out the way while I am off

Strange that I am taking 12 days off of work to come home and do 12 days worth of work in the garden... Normally when I am off I try to do the least amount possible

Nice. I'm currently off until the 25th but had to do some fence painting in between, which was a slight pain in the ass.

What gardening work are you doing?

3 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Nice. I'm currently off until the 25th but had to do some fence painting in between, which was a slight pain in the ass.

What gardening work are you doing?

Well it started off as a simple outdoor Playhouse replacement for Leelah but since my daughter has gotten over involved I now have a bit of a major job on my hands... The whole thing is obviously designed to suck all the loose change right from the bottoms of the corners of my pockets, you know the ones with fluff on them issued in 1974..  I will try and get some pictures up as I go with it along with how much the whole thing sets me back.. I will be intrigued myself and will be able to use it as my baseball bat to smash that home run when she is on one of her "What have you ever done for me" emotional rants.. 

The Playhouse has already arrived this morning and had to help the driver with that because they only sent one and he did not look the fittest of people if I was being honest.. He was puffing and sweating when I answered the door to him and he only had to walk up 2 steps to get there.. lol

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Well it started off as a simple outdoor Playhouse replacement for Leelah but since my daughter has gotten over involved I now have a bit of a major job on my hands... The whole thing is obviously designed to suck all the loose change right from the bottoms of the corners of my pockets, you know the ones with fluff on them issued in 1974..  I will try and get some pictures up as I go with it along with how much the whole thing sets me back.. I will be intrigued myself and will be able to use it as my baseball bat to smash that home run when she is on one of her "What have you ever done for me" emotional rants.. 

The Playhouse has already arrived this morning and had to help the driver with that because they only sent one and he did not look the fittest of people if I was being honest.. He was puffing and sweating when I answered the door to him and he only had to walk up 2 steps to get there.. lol

Great stuff. xD

You should ask her to help out. Celebrate gender equality and not leaving a man to do all the work.

2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Great stuff. xD

You should ask her to help out. Celebrate gender equality and not leaving a man to do all the work.

Well I would, however to complicate matters here is the current situation I face... The other half with her bad neck and back is not an option ( although she will always volunteer herself ) which is a shame because we do some of our best stuff together on things like this, two heads are better than one when it comes to problems or inspiration/ideas etc, and that of course her head being better than my one if you listen to all the tosh she comes out to her mates down the pub.. 

My Daughter is expecting again ( due September ) and is currently cramming her Health & Beauty course at College so her time is well and truly tied up. My Son who lives at home is currently on some 6 month ( see if you are up to the next level of promotion ) thing so his time is also well taken up as well which basically leaves me and Leelah ( who always wants to help Grandad ) at every available opportunity.. 

And as much as I love my Grand Daughter there is only so much work I will be able to palm off onto a 2.5 foot midget... B|

At the end of the day it's just me... I don't know how I got suckered into this, maybe my old age is allowing people to take advantage but I have definitely been left holding the baby on this one... xD 

Edited by Bluewolf

8 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

My daughter is expecting again ( due September ) and is currently cramming her Health & Beauty course at College so her time is well and truly tied up. My Son who lives at home is currently on some 6 month ( see if you are up to the next level of promotion ) thing so his time is also well taken up as well.

Any old excuse. :ph34r:

• Administrator

just been told that a colleague of ours at work passed away this morning from terminal cancer :(. She was diagnosed a while back but made a recovery to come back to work a few months ago and things looked a bit more promising, however recently condition worsened.

Puts things in to perspective when you moan about some things in your job (I did today) and then receive news like that :( 

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Stan said:

just been told that a colleague of ours at work passed away this morning from terminal cancer :(. She was diagnosed a while back but made a recovery to come back to work a few months ago and things looked a bit more promising, however recently condition worsened.

Puts things in to perspective when you moan about some things in your job (I did today) and then receive news like that :( 

My wife and I just completed our living will, which basically gives exact details for how you want your end to happen if given the choice (life support, etc.). It's a humbling experience but I think it's a lot better to do that, instead of putting the decision on your family. 

Sorry for the loss Stan. Not sure you two were close, but regardless, it's a humbling experience. 

• Administrator
Just now, Eco said:

My wife and I just completed our living will, which basically gives exact details for how you want your end to happen if given the choice (life support, etc.). It's a humbling experience but I think it's a lot better to do that, instead of putting the decision on your family. 

Sorry for the loss Stan. Not sure you two were close, but regardless, it's a humbling experience. 

there were far more other staff members closer to her than I was but I agree. Just sad to hear as she'd been at the company for ages and was well-liked by anyone who knew her. 

17 hours ago, Stan said:

Sorry to hear that Stan... never nice when that happens 

We have a bloke that works up in the office, a decent bloke as well, bit of an old fashioned common sense down to earth type, We always stop and have a chat in the mornings but he was having some trouble with his back a few weeks ago and then he was off for a bit as he told me he was going to have a scan to find out what was wrong and he has not been back since.. I spoke to one of his team as I assumed it was because of his back but turns out they have found cancer and he is undergoing treatment currently.. It's being kept on the low key at the moment but I must get round to visiting him at some point.. bit gutting to hear 

Just booked a day off on the 25th which is a Monday so I can watch England vs Pananama at the pub at midnight. Don't trust myself to not get pissed and come home at 6am before going to work 😂 Coincidentally it's the day I do my stand up comedy gig at an actual comedy club on an actual stage in front of actual people, so I'll have the day to obsess and shit myself over it.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Just booked a day off on the 25th which is a Monday so I can watch England vs Pananama at the pub at midnight. Don't trust myself to not get pissed and come home at 6am before going to work 😂 Coincidentally it's the day I do my stand up comedy gig at an actual comedy club on an actual stage in front of actual people, so I'll have the day to obsess and shit myself over it.

Really... 

Video it and post it on here or it never happened... you know the rules

I want to see if you can make me laugh in a non sarcastic way for a change... B|

Seriously though good luck with that... bet your arse will shrink to the size a sultana when you step out there... No Racist or Homophobic stuff either... 

8 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Really... 

Video it and post it on here or it never happened... you know the rules

I want to see if you can make me laugh in a non sarcastic way for a change... B|

Seriously though good luck with that... bet your arse will shrink to the size a sultana when you step out there... No Racist or Homophobic stuff either... 

Ha no evidence will be left.

None of that stuff though, I'm not your age 😏