talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

6 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Nah, 2nd floor flat, talking to some neighbors this morning they said the same, it was very quiet last night.

There were loads of them round our way... more than last year, some people round here do a lot of stuff on the houses though so it's not surprising.. One bloke had a full sized Frankenstein Monster outside his gaff... others cover all the gardens and houses with webs etc.. good fun for the kids

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

There were loads of them round our way... more than last year, some people round here do a lot of stuff on the houses though so it's not surprising.. One bloke had a full sized Frankenstein Monster outside his gaff... others cover all the gardens and houses with webs etc.. good fun for the kids

Our youngest grandson, wee Kaiden, the tank as we call him went to a school Halloween party and a lot of other kids around this area did the same, Guy Fawkes next and even that's not the same as it was when I was a wee nipper, build a bonfire in our back garden and watch our old man letting off the fireworks, even roasting some chestnuts in the bonfire, those were the days.

44888648_10156813066367855_8403511364718

4 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Our youngest grandson, wee Kaiden, the tank as we call him went to a school Halloween party and a lot of other kids around this area did the same, Guy Fawkes next and even that's not the same as it was when I was a wee nipper, build a bonfire in our back garden and watch our old man letting off the fireworks, even roasting some chestnuts in the bonfire, those were the days.

44888648_10156813066367855_8403511364718

We used to make our own Guy and pushed it around in a pram.. Penny for the Guy outside the shops.. made a bit of extra pocket money from it and like you say used to build your own bonfire in the back garden and let off a few cheap fireworks... You could by bangers from the shops back then as well.. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

We used to make our own Guy and pushed it around in a pram.. Penny for the Guy outside the shops.. made a bit of extra pocket money from it and like you say used to build your own bonfire in the back garden and let off a few cheap fireworks... You could by bangers from the shops back then as well.. 

Aye, same here, make a guy up and push it around in a pram, I was born in Tilbury, Essex, the dock area, it was rough and ready but we would hold our own a push the pram up to the docks yelling out "PENNY FOR THE GUY..." lol, as I said, those were the days, buy penny or threepenny bangers from the local shop or our big sisters use too.

Two weeks before Guy Fawkes we would head up to the local woods and start bringing back branches of trees and what not to build our bonfire, our house looked onto a big playing park we called 'The Daisy Field' with houses all around and on bonfire night the whole field would be lit up with bonfires everywhere, rocket flying up, the noise of crackers and the smell of smoke, nostalgic memories for an old man like me.

original.jpg

JS27673318.jpg

I always remember on an estate I grew up on as a kid and teenager and every year there would be a bonfire built on the field, no security, no barriers or fencing around it, just all the adults would organise it and we'd just have one ourselves, plenty of people from the surrounding areas would come as well. Nowadays, there is none of that due to "health and safety" and whatever else. It's quite ridiculous really, it's fucking tradition. All these professionally organised bonfires are awful in comparison, although the fireworks are usually brilliant.

Edited by The Rebel CRS
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I always remember on an estate I grew up on as a kid and teenager and every year there would be a bonfire built on the field, no security, no barriers or fencing around it, just all the adults would organise it and we'd just have one ourselves, plenty of people from the surrounding areas would come as well. Nowadays, there is none of that due to "health and safety" and whatever else. It's quite ridiculous really, it's fucking tradition.

Health & Safety rules nowadays I am afraid, I can remember doing a tour of duty in Northern Ireland in my army days, Belfast, 1973, we were doing a mobile patrol around a district and people had built a bonfire against the side of a house and was going to light it, we had to stop them and it got a bit scary as they wanted to know what they were doing wrong, our patrol NCO then called in the local Irish Constabulary (police) and let them sort it out, British troops in Northern Ireland in them days were not liked. 

1 hour ago, CaaC - John said:

Health & Safety rules nowadays I am afraid, I can remember doing a tour of duty in Northern Ireland in my army days, Belfast, 1973, we were doing a mobile patrol around a district and people had built a bonfire against the side of a house and was going to light it, we had to stop them and it got a bit scary as they wanted to know what they were doing wrong, our patrol NCO then called in the local Irish Constabulary (police) and let them sort it out, British troops in Northern Ireland in them days were not liked. 

It's way over the top though as nobody was ever killed or injured.

I'm actually surprised though in saying that as we used to throw fireworks onto the fire and whatever else was flammable such as deodorant cans :ph34r:. Obviously that is one part I wouldn't recommend of course, but the rest is fine.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

It's way over the top though as nobody was ever killed or injured.

I'm actually surprised though in saying that as we used to throw fireworks onto the fire and whatever else was flammable such as deodorant cans :ph34r:. Obviously that is one part I wouldn't recommend of course, but the rest is fine.

You get a lot of this nearing Guy Fawkes night every year I am afraid across here in the UK, some people use Guy Fawkes as an excuse to cause mayhem.

Five men given curfews over Edinburgh Bonfire Night crimes

2 November 2018

45231250_10156831800812855_5456098132376

Five men responsible for Bonfire Night crimes in the north east of Edinburgh last year have been banned from leaving their homes overnight for six months.

Lewis Park, 20, Dylan Martins, 18, Dylan McArdle, 19, Connor Murray, 18, and Liam Willis, 19, all pleaded guilty to being involved in the incidents in Craigentinny on 5 November 2017.

Damage worth more than £40,000 was caused after a gang of 50 youths threw fireworks and burned out cars.

One of the cars was put onto a bonfire.

Edinburgh Sheriff Court heard how over three hours on 5 November last year fireworks were thrown between the youths, members of the public, property and cars.

Frightening experience

When the police and fire service were called in, fireworks and rocks were thrown at them and they had to withdraw for safety reasons. Residents were afraid to leave their homes.

Defense solicitors appearing for the five men, told sheriff Frank Crowe their clients now appreciated the events must have been a frightening experience for those living there.

They said the men accepted that their conduct had shocked the community and was a serious matter. None, however, had been in trouble since then.

Sheriff Crowe, who gave the men restriction of liberty orders, told them that what happened on that night had attracted a lot of comment at the time and, more recently, in view of the forthcoming Guy Fawkes' Night celebrations.

He added that their actions bore no relation to Guy Fawkes' Night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-46071843

• Subscriber
On 03/11/2018 at 13:28, The Rebel CRS said:

30cGYIa.jpg

Not bad for a simple hours trip to the scrap yard. One of the perks to working on a building site and pretty much having first dabs on everything.

Haha i remember us doing that when i did a bit of work like that as a teenager.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Just when I think life can't possibly get any worse I find out the Spice Girls are getting back together.. 

You won't like reading this then  xD

Entertainment & Arts

Spice Girls reunion tour: Will it be the same without Victoria Beckham?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46101213

Edited by CaaC - John

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah tomorrow is the new year's day. 

When I was working as a teaching assistant in a college in the US, a gujju student wished me happy new year the day after Diwali and I gave him a blank face because I never had any gujju friends before. Thats when I knew that its the mark of new year for you guys xD

• Haha 1

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Thanks Stan and Happy New Year to you in advance. I spent the night bursting and inhaling so much firecracker smoke but man it was a lot of fun.

:)

I've seen a news article on BBC that Delhi is covered by thick smoke and that's before all the fireworks. Where in India are you?