talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Relegation Battle 2022

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

my predictor has burnley on 36-38 points and everton on 31-33. No idea how you got them to 40? You think they just win every game from now? xD

It's generous to say the least

11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Didn't Leeds already prove that by overspending a shitload and then having a long time out in the wilderness?

Money buys trophies if you know what you're doing and you can keep yourself sustainable.

I don't think Leeds is in the same level as this.  Leeds did overspend and their plight was due to selling everything and everyone down to the sweeper.   Everton would be far worse as they have expensive players with no relegation clauses on top of being bot worth buying.

• Administrator

I still think Villa shouldn't really be in the question but only because they play Burnley twice which could drag them into it a little. Everton have some favourable games but realistically they need to win all of them. Watford and Norwich are just inevitable really.

Leeds probably only need 3-4 more points to be safe?

image.png

Next Games:
Aston Villa vs Norwich
Watford vs Burnley
Leeds vs Man City
Everton vs Chelsea

That Watford Burnley game is massive, more for the latter. Everton and Leeds with the more difficult games.

• Administrator

My predictor

image.png

Burnley & Leeds up by skin of their teeth, despite losing against Newcastle and Brentford on the last day respectively. 

Everton beating Brentford & Palace, drawing with Leicester and Watford away, losing against Chelsea and Arsenal. The Arsenal game being on the final day where they need to win. 

Norwich losing every game, Watford only picking up that point against Everton. 

• Subscriber

Think it's generous to assume we beat Watford, Brentford and Palace. A point at Leicester seems reasonable but we have to shake off the loss of about a million consecutive away games. That said, I think it's generous to Chelsea to assume they come to Goodison and win as well, they've been all over the place and our home form is actually reasonable. Don't want to go to Arsenal on the last day needing something but if we do, it's the last day and anything can happen. And if you want to play a team on the last day that you desperately need something against, Arsenal are third on the list of who you'd want to play behind Man Utd and Everton.

Impossible to deny now though that we need other teams to do us favours. I started making my peace with the possibility of relegation around the time of the Newcastle away and Wolves home defeats.

The state of the club is such that we're so miserably short of where we should expect to be, relegation has become this thing that isn't even that shocking. Obviously I'd still be really upset for us as fans but there's an element that Moshiri and those associated with him at board level deserve it. I have my beef with a lot of our players as well, but at the same time, you've got to give some allowance at some point for the fact that the conditions at Everton also don't exist for managers, coaches or players to flourish properly. I don't underestimate the difficulty of us getting out of the Championship but there is an argument that something really has to force us to rip up the way things are done at the club otherwise Moshiri is just going to take us down eventually anyway. I could just about live with it on a competitive level. My worry is what it means for us financially.

I could stomach the ignominy of seeing us become a Championship side and having to rebuild,, but I'd be utterly heartbroken to see us spiral into years of financial hardship and become another Sunderland or worse. Another good case for fans to have a bigger say in how their football clubs are run because the support this team gets home and away and the number of people who live and breathe it really don't deserve to be put through that (no fanbase does).

55 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I don't get why you think Everton are going to beat Chelsea? Do other people think this will happen? I'll put $100 on Chelsea right now fuck mexD 

You are tempting fate and I don't like it xD

• Administrator

@RandoEFCdon't worry mate, if you get relegated and go into a new stadium, you'll experience short term pain with a few miserable and totally forgettable seasons, perhaps some more penalty shootout heartbreak along the way, but 12 years later you'll win the Premier League for the first time ever. 

Think of the long term picture :ph34r:

• Administrator
57 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I don't get why you think Everton are going to beat Chelsea? Do other people think this will happen? I'll put $100 on Chelsea right now fuck mexD 

Who does? 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Stan said:

@RandoEFCdon't worry mate, if you get relegated and go into a new stadium, you'll experience short term pain with a few miserable and totally forgettable seasons, perhaps some more penalty shootout heartbreak along the way, but 12 years later you'll win the Premier League for the first time ever. 

Think of the long term picture :ph34r:

You joke but if you put the financial aspect to one side which comes with massive risks, I would actually give us a better chance of being back in that 7th-10th bracket in the Premier League seven to ten years from now if we get relegated this season than if we scrape 16th or 17th.

If it wasn't for the potential of the existential threat to the club I might well have emotionally checked out of this relegation battle already. Nobody can really argue that the people running the club don't deserve disastrous relegation and the likes of Leeds, Villa, Brentford, Palace have all earned the right to carry out a Premier League project. We offer nothing to the neutral beside flapping around like we have been and relegation would be a justified punchline to the joke of the Moshiri era. Kenwright can absolutely get fucked as well pretending that he sold to Moshiri because he thought he was the right person and not because he was the only one willing to buy the club and let him keep sitting in the Chairman's seat.

This sounds like a piss-take but I genuinely think it could help Everton that they already have quite a few championship-quality players who you think would be fairly easy to hold onto and slot into the team if worst comes to worst.

I don't think the likes of Davies, Holgate or Kenny for example will really cause much of a ruckus to get a move to a Premier League side. They can probably step up and perform at a good championship level and save the club needing to recruit more players.

There's even a whole bracket of slightly more high-profile players like Towsend, Gray and even Keane who aren't likely imo to have a whole host of clubs trying to snap them up. The only issue is whether they will see themselves as being too good for a season in the championship. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I don't think the likes of Davies, Holgate or Kenny for example will really cause much of a ruckus to get a move to a Premier League side. They can probably step up and perform at a good championship level and save the club needing to recruit more players.

There's even a whole bracket of slightly more high-profile players like Towsend, Gray and even Keane who aren't likely imo to have a whole host of clubs trying to snap them up. The only issue is whether they will see themselves as being too good for a season in the championship.

I've been thinking this for a lot of the season as well. Pickford goes, Mina probably goes back to Europe, Godfrey might go too, still leaves us with Coleman, Kenny, Keane, Holgate, Branthwaite, Mykolenko and Patterson at the back. Allan probably goes, not sure about Doucoure because he's had a poor season and it's his second relegation. Delph, Davies, Gbamin returning from loan certainly stay in midfield. Not sure about Alli, think he has no choice but to stay and prove himself. Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin would go but Townsend and Gordon stay. Gray and Iwobi probably wouldn't have that many suitors so we should at least get the first season out of them. Could say the same of Allan and Godfrey in those other parts of the squad. Rondon isn’t really adequate as a striking option so we'd be short there but I agree that we'd at least have some of core of players who should be of an upper Championship level and we wouldn't need to be throwing together 20 fresh signings who have never played together before.

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I've been thinking this for a lot of the season as well. Pickford goes, Mina probably goes back to Europe, Godfrey might go too, still leaves us with Coleman, Kenny, Keane, Holgate, Branthwaite, Mykolenko and Patterson at the back. Allan probably goes, not sure about Doucoure because he's had a poor season and it's his second relegation. Delph, Davies, Gbamin returning from loan certainly stay in midfield. Not sure about Alli, think he has no choice but to stay and prove himself. Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin would go but Townsend and Gordon stay. Gray and Iwobi probably wouldn't have that many suitors so we should at least get the first season out of them. Could say the same of Allan and Godfrey in those other parts of the squad. Rondon isn’t really adequate as a striking option so we'd be short there but I agree that we'd at least have some of core of players who should be of an upper Championship level and we wouldn't need to be throwing together 20 fresh signings who have never played together before.

You're off your head. BEST case scenario is you offload for pennies on the dollar. Much more likely he does a Rodwell and stays, never plays, and cashes out of football IMO

16 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Didn't Leeds already prove that by overspending a shitload and then having a long time out in the wilderness?

Money buys trophies if you know what you're doing and you can keep yourself sustainable.

4 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I don't think Leeds is in the same level as this.  Leeds did overspend and their plight was due to selling everything and everyone down to the sweeper.   Everton would be far worse as they have expensive players with no relegation clauses on top of being bot worth buying.

Just want to add that yes Leeds did overspend significantly and irresponsibly, but it was also in the era before parachute payments and mucho dinero TV deals.  Some might argue that it's even worse to spend like that when you don't have all the fallback income that the PL brings nowadays.  But you could also say that they didn't have the same bailout plan that big clubs do now either.  If they had overspent in this era, would they have been lost for 16 years?  I'm not so sure.  

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You're off your head. BEST case scenario is you offload for pennies on the dollar. Much more likely he does a Rodwell and stays, never plays, and cashes out of football IMO

Pennies on the dollar when we paid nothing for him. 

People need to stop deeming Sky Sports a reliable source for transfer fees. They announced we'd paid £30m for Alli when both Spurs and Everton published the details of the deal as being an initial free transfer potentially rising to something like £30m. The selling club always tries to twist the figures in a transfer to make it sound more like they got the better deal so when Sky Sports are out there sensationalising things and claiming that one side got a better deal than that side are claiming themselves, you know something is amiss. Romano and a number of other credible sources confirmed the details of the deal. The first significant payment was at 20 appearances and that isn't even close to being triggered. If he does leave Everton this summer then we will have paid next to nothing for him apart from his wages.

I know it's very exciting when someone chucks EVERTON SIGN DELE ALLI FOR 30 MILLION in all caps on your Twitter feed but it pays to actually get your facts straight before you go around telling other people they're off their head. You've been suckered in by a misleading headline. I know calling Alli out as washed and calling it a bad transfer is one of your more prominent opinions on here and we all have those, but let's deal in truth and facts if we're going to discuss it.

If he does do a Rodwell then fine. I'm not ruling that out. I've been disappointed that he hasn't forced his way into the team and even though he set up the equaliser against Leicester last week I thought he looked unfit coming off the bench. Everton have done a lot of stupid bullshit over the past five years but in this case the deal was structured in a way that mitigated against the potential for him to flop. Just because we were stupid enough to pay silly fees and give out silly contracts in the past doesn't mean that that's what we've automatically done every time we sign a player.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Pennies on the dollar when we paid nothing for him. 

People need to stop deeming Sky Sports a reliable source for transfer fees. They announced we'd paid £30m for Alli when both Spurs and Everton published the details of the deal as being an initial free transfer potentially rising to something like £30m. The selling club always tries to twist the figures in a transfer to make it sound more like they got the better deal so when Sky Sports are out there sensationalising things and claiming that one side got a better deal than that side are claiming themselves, you know something is amiss. Romano and a number of other credible sources confirmed the details of the deal. The first significant payment was at 20 appearances and that isn't even close to being triggered. If he does leave Everton this summer then we will have paid next to nothing for him apart from his wages.

I know it's very exciting when someone chucks EVERTON SIGN DELE ALLI FOR 30 MILLION in all caps on your Twitter feed but it pays to actually get your facts straight before you go around telling other people they're off their head. You've been suckered in by a misleading headline. I know calling Alli out as washed and calling it a bad transfer is one of your more prominent opinions on here and we all have those, but let's deal in truth and facts if we're going to discuss it.

If he does do a Rodwell then fine. I'm not ruling that out. I've been disappointed that he hasn't forced his way into the team and even though he set up the equaliser against Leicester last week I thought he looked unfit coming off the bench. Everton have done a lot of stupid bullshit over the past five years but in this case the deal was structured in a way that mitigated against the potential for him to flop. Just because we were stupid enough to pay silly fees and give out silly contracts in the past doesn't mean that that's what we've automatically done every time we sign a player.

I was understanding you paid about 8 up front, however, I never mentioned the figure, just that you'll need to take a loss to get rid. Give your head a wobble. 

who goes where

pickford - Steven Spielberg for Jurassic world

Coleman - stays

Keane - west ham rumoured

Godfrey - Chelsea, Newcastle, West Ham, Manure

Allen - Brighton, Southampton, Palace

Dacoure - Villa or France

Alli - Stays

Richarlison - Somewhere

Gray - Brighton, West Ham, Burnley 

iwobi - sounds like a David moyes reclaimation project

DCL - Spurs? if Kane leaves, Newcastle like Toney his attitude concerns me. Villa, West Ham

Gordon - Stays

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I was understanding you paid about 8 up front, however, I never mentioned the figure, just that you'll need to take a loss to get rid. Give your head a wobble. 

Can we drop this "give your head a wobble" and "you're off your head" stuff? Can't we just discuss stuff like grown-ups without constantly trying to act like any person who disagrees with us is being absolutely mental?

I didn't even say that he IS going to succeed or go on to prove himself. I was only saying that I think that's the only real option available to him. 

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Can we drop this "give your head a wobble" and "you're off your head" stuff? Can't we just discuss stuff like grown-ups without constantly trying to act like any person who disagrees with us is being absolutely mental?

I didn't even say that he IS going to succeed or go on to prove himself. I was only saying that I think that's the only real option available to him. 

Okay. I never mentioned a figure, and the entirety of my implication was that you'd take a cash loss to move him on. And that I think that would be best for your club. Your entire point was fabricated out of a defensive reaction to the idea that you over paid for the shite little rat, however it's an idea I didn't present presently. 

Happy? 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Okay. I never mentioned a figure, and the entirety of my implication was that you'd take a cash loss to move him on. And that I think that would be best for your club. Your entire point was fabricated out of a defensive reaction to the idea that you over paid for the shite little rat, however it's an idea I didn't present presently. 

Happy? 

You made the point perfectly well. Pennies on the dollar, I know what this means. The problem isn't how you made your point, the problem is that it's based on incorrect information. Here is the tweet from a reliable operator on the details of the transfer fee:

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 12.05.02.png

Initial free transfer, £10m or whatever it is in English money after 20 games. I don't believe it's physically possible for him to hit that number now before the end of the season. So if he leaves this summer, we pay no or very little money for him. 

If you're claim is that we'd make a "cash loss" in moving him on, I've now proven that that's incorrect. There's nothing more to see here so like I said, perhaps next time someone calls you out on saying something that's just not correct, you should probably double check your facts before resorting to the "give your head a wobble" shite. We're grown-ups and we all have plenty of other places we could be talking about football if we want to engage in that sort of patter.

Archived