talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Marcelo Bielsa Sacked By Leeds - Jesse Marsch in Line to Take Over

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very, very sad day for this football club and I for one am not only gutted, but pretty aggrieved and frustrated that he has been hung out to dry like this. He didn't deserve for it to end this way.

Everything that he's done for this football club, not just in terms of the team and the football we have played, but as a human, the wisdom, the honesty, the integrity, the modesty. A man with outstanding values. Leeds fell madly in love with him and he fell madly in love with us. Single handedly, the best thing in years to happen to us. He deserved the chance to finish what he started.

He's got us promoted with what was essentially an average championship team and took us as high as 9th with largely the same squad. He's turned Kalvin Phillips into one of the countries best players. Even Patrick Bamford has an England cap as a result of Bielsa's faith in him.

He's had it all against him this season and he's never once complained. Injuries, referee decisions, VAR, fixtures schedules or even COVID, he's just done all he could with the tools he's been provided and unfortunately, he's been made to carry the can for the position we are in.

He's not faultless, he's El Loco for a reason. I'd never agree with all his decisions, sometimes things have been baffling or nonscensical but his passion for this club is unrivalled and there has always been a method to the madness. I don't think unless you are Leeds, you'll ever truly understand it on the outside looking in.

For me, it makes no sense changing a manager now, new backroom staff etc and trying to suddenly change something the players aren't used to with so little precious time left. People will say you can't keep going on like you have been and yes, its been a horrible week, disastrous month etc. But we had winnable fixtures coming and hopefully we'll have the spine of our team back soon, with them back, the system would work so much better with those key personnel.

The board, and in particular Radrizzani, deserve to take more flack than Bielsa for two failed transfer windows. We stood still in the summer when we needed to strangthen and we wouldnt go the extra mile in January for someone we really wanted when we were badly in need of reinforcements. Why always strengthen the U23's when it was players who could step in now? Very quick to come out and ride the Bielsa wave when things go well, pretty slow to come out when things have turned sour. They have a lot to answer for.

I just want to say thank you to a man that completely rekindled my passion for my team after years of nothingness. I can hand on heart say I've never loved and respected a manager so much, I know I speak for the majority of the fanbase who will equally be gutted at this, and he will forever be remembered as a hero.

For me, without Bielsa, we are as good as down. With Bielsa, we had a fighting chance.

IMG_20200722_220726.jpg

The next appointment has to keep them up cos if he doesn’t, it would have been a stupid move sacking Bielsa who’d have no problems getting Leeds back up.

Overall I do think Bielsa’s been hard done by and Leeds long term future would have been well suited for him. But also you have to try and change things when they’re going badly and he’s not done that.

Overall I do think English football will be worse off without Bielsa, exciting games of football, some genuinely amazing moments and whilst he’s been overrated to certain degrees he’s improved the quality of the league with his Leeds side imo, even if this season is a shit show.

Genuinely don’t think they should have sacked him. Results are bad yes, but I don’t see why they can’t turn it around, especially once the injury crisis is over. Bielsa will be remembered at Leeds as one of their greatest ever managers even though the actual record won’t suggest that, but a lot of respect for the man who broke the cycle and got them promoted, changed the culture within the club and more importantly connected with the fans.

Ill be honest away from Bielsa I don’t particularly love Leeds, don’t dislike them either, but wouldn’t be the worst thing if they were to be relegated now.

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Leeds go down now? 

Not sure, Bielsa would just not stop his style of play which was Leed's downfall, they could score goals aplenty but let in a lot, they need someone who can steady the ship someone like Howe has done at Newcastle.

Just can't see any top club who will appoint Bielsa now with his dogmatic style of play and won't change it no matter what, he could have become a legend at Leeds if he had just listened to people who loved him as a manager, he could have made Leeds great again, I feel sorry for the likes of @Lucas who is a die-hard Leeds man if they go down.

• The title was changed to Marcelo Bielsa Sacked By Leeds - Jesse Marsch in Line to Take Over

I don’t see how they can be viewed are more likely to go down now he’s been sacked. For all his brilliance, the man is also pigheaded and stubborn. He just would not play more conservative football while he had the backbone of his first 11 out injured. I don’t have much sympathy for him in that regard, but I do have sympathy for the injuries he has had to contend with. But it’s up to him to do what’s best for the team, and that is not going out playing expansive football when your midfield and defence are ropey as fuck. 

Not sure Jesse Marsch is the man I would have chosen to replace him for a relegation battle mind. But with Steve Bruce already in a job, who else really is there to come in and save them? 

4 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Decent fixtures are never easy,  look how hard Everton made it for Man City a week after playing like a team that should be relegated against Southampton. 

Not saying he'd win them but why not have a shot when he is such an important figure in the clubs modern history.

In their last 11 games Leeds have played all of the top 7. I think 7 points from that 11 isn't necessarily the end of the world.

9 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Not saying he'd win them but why not have a shot when he is such an important figure in the clubs modern history.

In their last 11 games Leeds have played all of the top 7. I think 7 points from that 11 isn't necessarily the end of the world.

The problem for them is their trend,  20 goals against in 5 games is alarming and Leeds have shown no ability to improve defensively.   In a way I understand the sacking,  but yes Bielsa plays nice football but franking the gung ho era ended in the early 2000's. 

40 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

The problem for them is their trend,  20 goals against in 5 games is alarming and Leeds have shown no ability to improve defensively.   In a way I understand the sacking,  but yes Bielsa plays nice football but franking the gung ho era ended in the early 2000's. 

I agree there could be something in that. It's not like here's 2 more games because it will be fine, it's 2 more games precisely because things arent fine! But this is more about whether someone is entitled to those games. 

• Subscriber

It was a matter of time and I don't say that lightly as Leeds are my English club. Injuries aside, no manager can continue to setup in that all attack style when you're shipping 4, 5, 6 goals per game. A nearly 4-year run as manager is still unprecedented in modern football and he'll go down in Leeds as one of their best ever. 

You don't have to play like Burnley to stay in the league, but to continue on as they were was suicide.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

I'm just glad we haven't got to hear pundits and journalists talking about how great he is any more.

You're just jealous because no one talks about Palace, good or bad 😆.

3 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Leeds go down now? 

I think they could be less likely to go down. I think it was probably the right decision. It seemed like he was to blame  because of his style and not adapting. He would of almost certainly gone at the end of the season anyway so I can understand why leeds felt it was better to make the change now and just try to stay up 

4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Leeds go down now? 

I think the way the season was panning out for them, Bielsa or not, they were/are on a downward slide.

1 hour ago, Coma said:

It was a matter of time and I don't say that lightly as Leeds are my English club. Injuries aside, no manager can continue to setup in that all attack style when you're shipping 4, 5, 6 goals per game. A nearly 4-year run as manager is still unprecedented in modern football and he'll go down in Leeds as one of their best ever. 

You don't have to play like Burnley to stay in the league, but to continue on as they were was suicide.

I like Bielsa and have a lot of respect for him… but I agree with this.

He’s been hurt by the squad size and the number of injuries, but it’s hard for a manager to survive when their side looks like it’s in free fall.

• Subscriber

A lot of Leeds fans on Twitter are/were willing to get relegated with Bielsa. I just don't think that is realistic in this age of money football. Certainly you can be angry with the club for not shoring up the team in the winter window. I have a lot of time for that argument, personally. Radz and Orta put Bielsa in a difficult position by not providing him with enough options.

I think it would've been completely understandable for them to start thinking about sacking him but it's surprising that they've already done it. Bielsa won't be getting any criticism from football pundits or analysts though so good for him.

Archived