• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Seafood

football forum

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

When I worked down in Southend-on-Sea, Essex, there was a local chippie that did the most beautiful battered rock eel, I would always buy rock eel as my favourite fish but I have not had that for years as I can't buy it here in Scotland, sigh.

importedImage298315_header.jpeg

I'm an absolute pussy when it comes to seafood, sorry.

Cod, Tuna, Prawns, that is about it.

I've tried a few other things like Lobster, Salmon but its not a bit of me at all. Even need to mix mayo in with my Tuna to be brutally honest.

I'm liking Prawns on a BBQ mind, especially with a little drizzle of sweet chilli sauce. That's decent.

And I absolutely used to love a Fishcake from the chippy as a kid, but I'm pretty sure there is littke in the way of fish in them.

• Subscriber
42 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I've tried a few other things like Lobster, Salmon but its not a bit of me at all. Even need to mix mayo in with my Tuna to be brutally honest.

How did you try the salmon? Personally, I'm not a massive fan of it fried or steamed, but give me the cold smoked salmon and I can eat it non stop 😅

As for tuna with mayo, I take it you mean canned stuff??? I'm not a big fan of tuna steaks, but I think they'd be perfect for those who don't like fish much as the texture and taste is extremely meat-like...

12 minutes ago, nudge said:

How did you try the salmon? Personally, I'm not a massive fan of it fried or steamed, but give me the cold smoked salmon and I can eat it non stop 😅

As for tuna with mayo, I take it you mean canned stuff??? I'm not a big fan of tuna steaks, but I think they'd be perfect for those who don't like fish much as the texture and taste is extremely meat-like...

Yes, tuna and swordfish (iirc) are very dense in texture and are more like a steak.  I like with salmon with something like a brown sugar glaze or some other sweet/spicy sauce, but otherwise I'm indifferent about it.

Used to get a Caribbean prepared salmon out a local restaurant regularly.  It was served with a spicy mango & tomato salsa, plantains, black beans and rice.  Then the place closed down 😪.

34 minutes ago, nudge said:

I have had the salmon cooked, well baked, in foil, and also tried it cold on a bagel with cream cheese but its not for me at all, just makes me heave thinking of it xD

Yeah you got it, tuna tins. I did try the tuna steak before actually but i think it was too tough the one i had. 

When I was in Australia, I did try Crocodile which was a bit of a weird combination, like a Chicken with a mild fishy flavour.

Prawns in garlic butter though are a different breed.

• Administrator

Don't mind fish/seafood but have my preferences for sure.

Love salmon - probably my favourite. Especially grilled or pan-fried with Indian spices to marinate in. 

Seabass, talapia, hake, haddock, cod also tasty. Seabass grilled in foil with lemon and spices is delicious. 

Shellfish not so much - crab, pil-pil prawns and scallops I don't mind. Never tried oysters or lobster (I know, I know...). I think I've been spoilt over the years when it comes to prawns and crab because I've had my parents cook it with succulent flavours and spice so anything else is hard to match it xD

When I was in Madrid we went to quite a posh restaurant and had turbot - absolutely smashing food but took a hit on the wallet too xD.

On honeymoon in Barbados/Jamiaca, red snapper is very common. Tried marlin there too - very meaty. Also had barbecue-grilled swordfish there. I literally felt like the below every single bite taken...

Mwah Delicious GIFs | Tenor 

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Spike said:

I’m allergic to shellfish, unfortunately learned the hard way… several times.

How bad is it? It's something I'm a bit scared of, as apparently it can develop at any point in life 😬

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

How bad is it? It's something I'm a bit scared of, as apparently it can develop at any point in life 😬

It is insufferable. Itchy mouth, throats, ears, eyes swell up red, tongue goes numb. It depends on the exposure but the more the worse, I think it could be lethal at a high dose. But I’ve never sat down and et that much seafood, most incidents have been accidental contact with other foods, or no one disclosing a dish has shellfish.

We are however, unsure on bivalves, as I don’t react to small amounts of oyster sauce but that is fermented, and the protein that causes the reaction may be broken down.

• Subscriber

Across here we all know the meaning of a fish supper with chips and brown sauce normally on a Friday night when the pub/clubs finish.

Now, when I was growing up in Aussie land I would love to go to the chippie, especially after watching my team playing, Carlton in Aussie Rules footy and order some potato cakes with flake, loved that with salt and vinegar.

Flake is a small Australian shark and I would have it in batter with the potato cakes, it was a big thing then when I was out there in the  '60s and early '70s, but like rock eel and I can't get flake up here in Scotland and have been told you can get it around Cornwell.

download.png

11 hours ago, nudge said:

Good on you! Do you enjoy fish now? Have you tried anything else outside of fish and didn't like it, or do you just have a general aversion to it all? Texture, appearance?

My family love seafood, as does my partner and her family. So I’ve tried stuff over time, and I’m not sure you know this but I lived in Japan for three years. 

I think crab and lobster are possibly the ones I may enjoy one day… there’s potential there. Octopus, squid and prawns forget about it. Don’t know what it is about prawns but have never enjoyed them much to the horror of almost everyone I know. 

Tbh I don’t recall trying oysters. 

Let me check back in here in a year or two. I may surprise you. Haha 

Archived