talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics & Brexit Discussion

football forum

1 minute ago, Harvsky said:

A majority that size would be a monumental power. It would show that the decision of the opposition movements to turn this into a referendum was a tactical error so big that it makes Theresa May look good.

Let's see if the exit poll is wrong!

Tbh Labour has been trying to un-Brexify the election since day one. If anything, it's a sign that the Tory focus on Brexit has paid-off. 

• Subscriber
52 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Following this advice

Though will stay up to see who wins the race between Newcastle and Sunderland that happens every election :4_joy:

I love the Sunderland and Newcastle race too 

Edited by Pyfish

Just now, Harvsky said:

Bloody hell. If exit poll is right continuity Remain have absolutely fucked it.

Labour have collapsed up north. 

I’ve told all of you this was an echo chamber and the way the wind was blowing in the country. You make light because I form my opinions from the multitude of people I talk to, but I’m pretty much on the money with this and Brexit. 

Maybe a bit of diversification of opinions might do some of you some good. 

3 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Tbh Labour has been trying to un-Brexify the election since day one. If anything, it's a sign that the Tory focus on Brexit has paid-off. 

Tbf that was a stupid strategy in an election where the big issue is Brexit.

I've got as much contempt for the electorate as the Tories do (if not more), but I'm not rewarded for it like the Tories are. I already left the UK in search of better prospects for upward mobility - I'd suggest others do the same.

• Subscriber

The exit polls are never really accurate but can’t see it being THAT wrong. There will be a lot of talk tomorrow, regardless of result, about how the Tories cheated their way to victory or how Corbyn is a Jew-hater but at the end of the day, the UK public are shit at voting.

• Subscriber

Would Labour have done any better if they went full Leave or full Remain though?

Unfortunately, this looks like the end of Corbyn. At least it gives Labour the opportunity to return to the centre ground again, which the Conservatives have vacated.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Inverted said:

The weak leadership maybe. I'm afraid not the party as a whole, or people on here voting Corbyn. My local Labour candidate was stop Brexit and regularly retweeting the likes of James O'Brien calling Brexit stupid. I wonder if we might be about to see that kind of attitude expressed in association with Labour help the Tories over the top of the red wall.

Corbyn and contempt toward Brexit voters are two big players among those I speak to. If that's at scale it would explain a lot. 

I've never believed the "Brexit is a Tory plot to fuck the little guy" thing, primarily because they didn't take their chance to vote it through under May, and because they don't need to leave the EU to do that anyway.

But they've turned a general low-level Euroscepticism into 14 consecutive years of Conservative government, 7 with a majority. If that was the plan, then it's gone brilliantly for them. Blimey

2 hours ago, Spike said:

How much could pandering ethnic groups sway an election? I thought outside of the large cities that the UK was still largely a homogenous country.  For instance if I were to take a drive through the villages of Devonshire I'd largely see the typical Anglo-Saxon, correct?

Correct and in the villages of Cornwall you'd largely see the typical Celt, lol. 

These political parties will take advantage of anything and try and please as many different groups of people as possible, just to get elected. 

Edited by Michael

The fundamental issue was Labour miscaculated in trying to offer a future beyond Brexit. A milquetoast centrist leader might have meant a slightly easier time from the press, but it wouldn't have made a difference this huge. 

Even if they're a minority, determined Brexiters make up a majority-winning chunk of the electorate. The Tories being able to position themselves as the only credible pro-Brexit option was always going to happen when Farage bowed out, and then they had the win in their hands. 

Labour gambled that the only way to negate that advantage was to shift the narrative. Would the Remain electorate have likewise snapped behind Labour with a europhile leader on a platform of revoke? That would have been an equally huge gamble. 

Brexiteers tend to be politically unengaged on matters besides Brexit and are easier to rally behind one party. Remainders tend to be more diverse in their opinions - as shown by the Lib Dem attitude to Labour.

Edited by Inverted

13 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Would Labour have done any better if they went full Leave or full Remain though?

Unfortunately, this looks like the end of Corbyn. At least it gives Labour the opportunity to return to the centre ground again, which the Conservatives have vacated.

Their voter base was too divided for that. This was really the only option for them I think, but not good enough.

I don't know if Labour could've won with someone else, but Corbyn is too toxic. He's got too much ugly, exploitable history

I'd be curious to see if someone more PR-friendly and inoffensive could avoid a complete media ravaging, whilst also keeping the grassroots energy that Corbyn generates. 

Thats the combination that the party needs to find. Not sure if it's attainable. 

Rayner would be a good candidate but would be savaged for being a school dropout and single mum.

Starmer is extremely smooth and highly competent but is also a vocal Europhile and would tie the party's hands tactically. However if Brexit fatigue does eventually set-in that might not be an issue in future. 

Philips is a make-believe working class gal from a comfy background, and for those who hear her often enough, a very easily hateable person. The press could have her on toast if they saw her as enough of a threat. 

Edited by Inverted

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Like rats fleeing a ship 😂

what are you on about?

Brag all you want and be all 'told you so' like an absolute smug wanker but plenty have said for ages, probably since referendum, that if Corbyn put up stronger opposition we wouldn't be in this state of such a large majority for Tories.

The remainiacs in the party fucked it. Look at what Labour did on the back of campaigning to honour the result of the referendum. It should have been something to build on. Corbyn's 'staying neutral' was trying to make the best of a bad situation but even that came too late

• Upvote 1

• The title was changed to UK Politics & Brexit Discussion