talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What are you playing?

football forum

• Subscriber

Anyone ever try Necropolis? I was reading on some gaming forum that its making its way to consoles. I can only imagine the screaming when perma-death hits people. Awfully hard game but its nowhere close to that @#$@#$@ DarkSouls

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the Metro Redux bundle on the Xbox summer sale - I'm looking forward to playing through Metro 2033 & First Light for the first time ever. I've heard basically nothing but good things about the series, I've heard it's similar to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series (some of the development team for that left to form a new studio or something), and those games were fantastic.

9 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Metro is a fantastic game series, I enjoyed 2033 more than Last Light but they're still right up there for me. 

If you do enjoy them then the third is coming out this year as it was shown at the Xbox One X reveal.

Oh it's last light not first light lol oops. But yeah, I'm obviously not very far into it having bought it yesterday... with a few hours into 2033 I am very impressed. They've done an incredible job with the immersion and story telling. I've enjoyed it so far and am seeing why it's so highly praised. Pretty impressive from a developer of their size tbh.

18 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I just bought the Metro Redux bundle on the Xbox summer sale - I'm looking forward to playing through Metro 2033 & First Light for the first time ever. I've heard basically nothing but good things about the series, I've heard it's similar to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series (some of the development team for that left to form a new studio or something), and those games were fantastic.

Bought them a little while ago on PS4 but haven't got round to playing them. I remember @Panflute rating the Metro games very highly on 'that' forum.

1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Bought them a little while ago on PS4 but haven't got round to playing them. I remember @Panflute rating the Metro games very highly on 'that' forum.

I've only played Metro 2033 and it was quite good, but nowhere near as good as STALKER, which were among the best shooters of their generation.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Panflute said:

I've only played Metro 2033 and it was quite good, but nowhere near as good as STALKER, which were among the best shooters of their generation.

I'm pretty sure I played them because of your recommendations. They're definitely top tier games & amongst some of the best shooters I've ever played.

So far, I'm enjoying the fuck out of Metro 2033.

Apologies for continuing to harp on about this game... but Metro 2033 has some elements that are so well done. Particularly, the stealth sections (which I'm pretty sure are optional, but when ammo is pretty scarce in the game generally it makes sense for me to want to conserve it - plus I like stealth games) and the sound design of the game.

Simply put, the sound and stealth mechanics are incredibly close to the original Thief games. The way you manipulate darkness to sneak around, and have to be careful with what you're walking on to avoid giving yourself away to the enemies. The downside is... if you get caught then it seems like everyone around magically can immediately find you - which is fucking bullshit. But it's not a full fledged stealth game. I am finding myself enjoying sneaking around and throwing knives into peoples heads though. The original Thief games are among my favourites of all time though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Apologies for continuing to harp on about this game... but Metro 2033 has some elements that are so well done. Particularly, the stealth sections (which I'm pretty sure are optional, but when ammo is pretty scarce in the game generally it makes sense for me to want to conserve it - plus I like stealth games) and the sound design of the game.

Simply put, the sound and stealth mechanics are incredibly close to the original Thief games. The way you manipulate darkness to sneak around, and have to be careful with what you're walking on to avoid giving yourself away to the enemies. The downside is... if you get caught then it seems like everyone around magically can immediately find you - which is fucking bullshit. But it's not a full fledged stealth game. I am finding myself enjoying sneaking around and throwing knives into peoples heads though. The original Thief games are among my favourites of all time though.

I only started using stealth during my second playthrough and it really enhances the experience. Stealth was one of the things that were dog shit in STALKER, so I'm glad they got it right in this game.

My favourite weapon was that weird air pressure gun. When fully charged, you can kill most things instantly, and it's also silent.

19 hours ago, Panflute said:

I only started using stealth during my second playthrough and it really enhances the experience. Stealth was one of the things that were dog shit in STALKER, so I'm glad they got it right in this game.

My favourite weapon was that weird air pressure gun. When fully charged, you can kill most things instantly, and it's also silent.

The air pressure gun is very cool. There was a very good mission where I just stealthed my way through crawling on pipes and shit which made me feel I missed a lot of the level... but I also felt very sneaky. The one where you have to sneak past the Nazi lines... and I loved that mission. And it's literally followed by the worst mission in the game so far (imo), where you're a gunner in a trolley. Kind of a poor follow up to an excellent level.

• Subscriber
46 minutes ago, Panflute said:

DOOM is really good. Just got past the level where you beat the Cyberdemon, so I imagine I'm about 2/3rds through. Can't wait to see what the final bossfight is like.

Its a super edgy game and I liked how the action just kept going. You're going to like the final boss fight. 

• Upvote 1

Completed Doom 4 and as @Mel81x said, the final bossfight was really good. Possibly the highlight of the game. I'll go back eventually to get all the secrets, as I found the exploration really enjoyable but there's much I haven't found.

Because I've never beaten Doom 3, I got the BFG edition on Steam (so I can actually use a damn flashlight and weapon at the same time). 5 hours in, it's amazing to see how different this game is from 4. Doom 3 is more of a horror game that often makes you feel weak and vulnerable, whereas Doom 4 is an over-the-top violence generator that is amazing but not scary in the least.

• Subscriber

One of the things we discussed, either here or the 'other' board, was the fact that Doom wasn't just a run through guns blazing game but that music just made you want to hack and bust a hole in every NPC you found. I don't think I have ever played a game where I have actively gone around looking for fuel to use the chainsaw more than the actual assault weaponry at my disposal.

The only gripe I had with it was that it was too short and lacked any real story plus I think it really didn't do itself any justice in terms of difficulty until you pushed the level up much higher and then the hording became much more challenging to engage. After reading your comments I am actually tempted to go back and give it a run through again. I always envisioned Prey to kind of have a similar mechanic but that game is nowhere close to the amount of fun Doom gave me. 

12 hours ago, Mel81x said:

One of the things we discussed, either here or the 'other' board, was the fact that Doom wasn't just a run through guns blazing game but that music just made you want to hack and bust a hole in every NPC you found. I don't think I have ever played a game where I have actively gone around looking for fuel to use the chainsaw more than the actual assault weaponry at my disposal.

The only gripe I had with it was that it was too short and lacked any real story plus I think it really didn't do itself any justice in terms of difficulty until you pushed the level up much higher and then the hording became much more challenging to engage. After reading your comments I am actually tempted to go back and give it a run through again. I always envisioned Prey to kind of have a similar mechanic but that game is nowhere close to the amount of fun Doom gave me. 

I disagree on both accounts. 11 hours (at least that's how long it took me) is very decent for a modern shooter, especially with there being plenty of secrets in every level. I also liked the fact that storytelling was minimal and didn't get in the way of gameplay. Too much tryhard bullshit in the industry nowadays, so I'm glad the basic premise here is "kill demons".

Anyway, after finishing Doom 2016 or Doom 4 or however you want to call it, I got the Doom 3: BFG edition. I think I started Doom 3 about 2-3 times but I never got past the first couple of levels because the ammo hunting and whole flashlight ordeal ("no ductape on Mars") started to annoy me pretty quick. Luckily, BFG Edition addresses both of these issues by adding the flashlight to the body (so you can actually fight and see what you're shooting at simultaneously...) and adding way more ammo.

Some would say these changes make Doom 3 less challenging or scary, which I guess is true, but it makes the game more appealing as a shooter, which is why I had bought it in the first place.

It was very interesting to play Doom 3 right after Doom 4, because of the radically different approach. Doom 4 is really a steroid, overpowered, ridiculous experience (in all the right ways) to the point where it's almost a horde shooter, while Doom 3 is much slower in building up tension, but therefore also way more atmospheric. Tight corridors, actually frightening demons (those fucking baby insects man), and a very dim, almost depressing atmosphere. After playing through the main game, the Resurrection of Evil expansion and the new Lost Mission episode, I might just like this game better than the new one. 

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Panflute said:

I disagree on both accounts. 11 hours (at least that's how long it took me) is very decent for a modern shooter, especially with there being plenty of secrets in every level. I also liked the fact that storytelling was minimal and didn't get in the way of gameplay. Too much tryhard bullshit in the industry nowadays, so I'm glad the basic premise here is "kill demons".

I don't know why but I felt it was too short and maybe that has to do with the fact that I was having too much fun I wished it had gone a bit longer. I didn't mind the storytelling but if you're going to do such a hack job of it I say have less of it that might have been my only big gripe with the story-telling or "game progressing" piece of it. But as I said before it checked all the boxes for what a space action adventure should be and I wish more development houses took this adrenaline injected style and used it more.