talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Cup 2022/23 - Quarter-Final Matches

football forum

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Dan said:

Honestly don't know what to do about him. He's our only decent winger and yet he's playing so badly he deserves dropping. I think I'd go back to a diamond. We have got to stop this system - what aspect of our game does it enhance?

I think the collective lack of aggression is a real problem. That tonight was an absolute embarrassment from start to finish.

I'd go back to the back 3. We created more with 2 strikers. Be more organised in defence and allow the midfield a mixture of defensive mindedness and freedom to create and it may work. Playing a 4-3-3 of sorts with players off form or out of position doesn't work, let alone an isolated striker with barely any scraps to feed on. 

Those 2 Vardy chances came when we changed shape. He's another that looks like all confidence has been sucked out of him. How's he spurned those easy chances?! 

The state we're in is just disgusting. 4 games since the return after Xmas and we've scored 2 goals, which was against the side that's bottom of the football league, conceding 8. It's rubbish. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'd go back to the back 3. We created more with 2 strikers. Be more organised in defence and allow the midfield a mixture of defensive mindedness and freedom to create and it may work. Playing a 4-3-3 of sorts with players off form or out of position doesn't work, let alone an isolated striker with barely any scraps to feed on. 

Those 2 Vardy chances came when we changed shape. He's another that looks like all confidence has been sucked out of him. How's he spurned those easy chances?! 

The state we're in is just disgusting. 4 games since the return after Xmas and we've scored 2 goals, which was against the side that's bottom of the football league, conceding 8. It's rubbish. 

Which direction do you go in? New manager? Are the players to blame? Do you have money for new signings?

One tell for me was that shot of Brendan Rodgers telling a Leicester player off. You could only see Rodgers. It was still 0-0 at this point. It looked toxic, a nasty aggression. Don't see how anyone would want to play for someone like that.

Defenders getting skinned easy at this level is often a sign of manager rot.

I never saw any of the Football last night, however, it is good to see a club like Newcastle reach the latter stages of a Cup for once.

Been a long time coming, and it will happen a lot more frequently now. You wouldn't begrudge them winning a trophy. 

I think the same goes for us. We haven't been to a major cup final since '96 and we have had reached one Quarter Final (League Cup 2016) in over 20 years. Can't see that changing this season.

The competition needs Newcastle to draw the winner of the Forest Wolves tie really so there is a high chance they can play one of the Manchester clubs in the final. Anything can happen then.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, MUFC said:

Which direction do you go in? New manager? Are the players to blame? Do you have money for new signings?

New manager. It has to be. The form we were in pre-WC seemed to just be some kind of false dawn. 

I don't think the players are fully to blame. They've been hung out to dry pretty much because Rodgers allows it to happen. He protects himself but not his players. Money seems to be limited. 

2 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

One tell for me was that shot of Brendan Rodgers telling a Leicester player off. You could only see Rodgers. It was still 0-0 at this point. It looked toxic, a nasty aggression. Don't see how anyone would want to play for someone like that.

He's regularly been like that. Seems pissed off and it filters out to the players. Just constant moaning which can't help for team morale or confidence. And it shows. 

• Administrator

Credit to Southampton for tonight. Fucked the league form off and focused solely on tonight. Been far better than Man City, no matter how much Man City may not prioritise this competition. 

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

He's normally the opposite to be honest, it's rarely something I'd accuse Rodgers of. Something supposedly did kick off prior to that game though. I think we need some real changes and he's the first, cannot believe we're just putting our fingers in our ears, blah blahing and assuming it'll be OK.

2 hours ago, Rick said:

I hope Southampton can kick on in the league now. I know City were awful, but Saints still put in their best performance of the season. They are a likeable club, so hope they stay up. 

I'd find them likeable too if they gave us Mane, Lovren, Lallana, Lambert, Clyne, Crouch and Van Dijk xD

7 hours ago, Rick said:

I hope Southampton can kick on in the league now. I know City were awful, but Saints still put in their best performance of the season. They are a likeable club, so hope they stay up. 

swap the saints with Everton, nobody will miss them

• The topic was unpinned

Archived