talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Philippe Coutinho

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

We've actually already made two bids for him. The first for £66m and the second for around £75m. That would more than double our record transfer paid and to me shows ambition. There's only so far you can go though but if they don't want to sell, they don't want to sell. 

I get why you feel that shows ambition because you're using a comparison on what you've previously spent.  But you know where the market has gone this summer and the Neymar move to PSG has made things even worse (as if hadn't gone mental already before that move).  But that isn't good enough considering where the market is and I'll tell you this...  If Walker goes to Man City for 50 odd million, then Keita is worth double that mate.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

I get why you feel that shows ambition because you're using a comparison on what you've previously spent.  But you know where the market has gone this summer and the Neymar move to PSG has made things even worse (as if hadn't gone mental already before that move).  But that isn't good enough considering where the market is and I'll tell you this...  If Walker goes to Man City for 50 odd million, then Keita is worth double that mate.

Agree, the man's a machine. If we lost Coutinho and got Kieta then I'd not be half as upset. Love to have both mind. 

This was our best time to get him as well because next summer his release clause of €58m comes into effect and I'm sure ALL the top clubs will be after him. 

I can see why selling Coutinho so late would be destructive to your season, but let's face it Liverpool aren't big enough to keep players from Barce, if he wants to leave he will leave be it this window or the next. The only club in the world big enough to do that is Real Madrid.

If you sold him and got the reported £80m+ and then brought in VVD and Keita, would you really have had a bad transfer window?

37 minutes ago, Danny said:

I can see why selling Coutinho so late would be destructive to your season, but let's face it Liverpool aren't big enough to keep players from Barce, if he wants to leave he will leave be it this window or the next. The only club in the world big enough to do that is Real Madrid.

If you sold him and got the reported £80m+ and then brought in VVD and Keita, would you really have had a bad transfer window?

I'd be happy enough with that! 

Agree with the rest of your post too. 

7 hours ago, Danny said:

Not bad but I still don't think we'd have built on what we had either. Like you say he'll leave eventually so tell him he's not going until next summer. 

13 hours ago, Danny said:

What's key is to drive a price that is so unreasonably high that even if successful nobody will bother trying again next time....

85m would be a pissweak fee for a player we massively do not want to sell add at such a key point in the window. I'd be asking for 100% of the Neymar money plus 1 pound to sell this late in the window. Why not? What have we ever gotten from being nice to Barca? You want to be a horrible unreasonable C in these things so people never come back to deal with you again.

• Subscriber

Liverpool appear to have an okay position here where if they block the transfer they won't necessarily have an unhappy player left at the club which isn't something Swansea have with Sigurdsson or Southampton with Van Dijk.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Liverpool appear to have an okay position here where if they block the transfer they won't necessarily have an unhappy player left at the club which isn't something Swansea have with Sigurdsson or Southampton with Van Dijk.

That's the case for now. I hope Coutinho knows it would be harsh to leave now and we'd be telling him he could go next year. 

Melissa Reddy, who's very good for Liverpool stuff despite working for goal.com (could be wrong, but I think she used to work for the club) has reiterated that we're not selling Coutinho and reports yesterday that the deal is done were untrue. Imagine my shock

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/liverpool-have-not-agreed-109m-move-for-philippe-coutinho-to/1n2136r7rjrrf1w9uvfro8iyka

13 hours ago, Danny said:

Leipzig rejected £72m for Keita and have repeatedly said he's not for sale, so there's no way £80m would be enough to get him. Accepting that fee from Barcelona for Coutinho would be a joke.

If you offered me van Dijk and Keita for Coutinho at the start of the window, I'd probably have reluctantly taken it, but it's far too late now. We kick off against Watford in three days.

• The title was changed to Barca Have 100m Euro Bid For Coutinho Rejected

This is where it should stop!  If Barça can't sign anyone this window due to these ridiculous prices that are overboard, then they should hold onto the money and wait for the next window or next summer.  That's way more money than he's worth as a player (not talking about what he's worth to Liverpool) and obviously Liverpool need him a hell of a lot more which they're showing.  This is where it should end!

9 hours ago, Harry said:

What's key is to drive a price that is so unreasonably high that even if successful nobody will bother trying again next time....

85m would be a pissweak fee for a player we massively do not want to sell add at such a key point in the window. I'd be asking for 100% of the Neymar money plus 1 pound to sell this late in the window. Why not? What have we ever gotten from being nice to Barca? You want to be a horrible unreasonable C in these things so people never come back to deal with you again.

As I've said before you should at least be after more than what Pogba went for.

• Subscriber

This one depends on how much Barcelona want to up the ante and push this through. I do get the feeling they can either pay way over the odds now, or do a reasonable deal in a year's time. 

The longer it goes on I think the more Coutinho gets itchy feet and starts thinking about how Liverpool have sort of stood still this summer and missed out on their two biggest targets.

If I were the club I'd probably cease with the "he'll leave over my dead body" stance because every player has his price and when Barcelona make an offer that's too good to refuse Liverpool either accept it and anger the fans because they've lied about it or turn it down knowing that deal might never be on the table again.

Sources can say all they want, for me it's 50/50 whether this happens. Are Barcelona linked with any alternatives in the same position?

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

This one depends on how much Barcelona want to up the ante and push this through. I do get the feeling they can either pay way over the odds now, or do a reasonable deal in a year's time. 

The longer it goes on I think the more Coutinho gets itchy feet and starts thinking about how Liverpool have sort of stood still this summer and missed out on their two biggest targets.

If I were the club I'd probably cease with the "he'll leave over my dead body" stance because every player has his price and when Barcelona make an offer that's too good to refuse Liverpool either accept it and anger the fans because they've lied about it or turn it down knowing that deal might never be on the table again.

Sources can say all they want, for me it's 50/50 whether this happens. Are Barcelona linked with any alternatives in the same position?

Dembele of Dortmund. 

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Not that I'm aware mate? Think Dortmund are holding out for about £130m last I heard. 

Yeah heard they bumped the price and I was under the impression this was a done deal already.

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Does Messis new contact have a buyout clause? It would probably need to be a couple billion based on this summer's spike in valuations...

It does...  €450m

But Messi would never do a Neymar for obvious reasons and if he ever were to leave to try something else, Barça wouldn't stop him and an agreement would be sorted out as he's given everything to the club and has been loyal forever.

• The title was changed to Philippe Coutinho Officially Signs for FC Barcelona
  • The topic was locked

Archived