talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Philippe Coutinho

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I take it Barca plan to play Coutinho deeper in midfield then? 

From what's been spoken Coutinho would have two functions...  One to rotate with Iniesta (Coutinho is in effect an interior-left player as is Iniesta and there aren't that many in the world of football) and as you said, slightly deeper and more central when needed.  Iniesta has his games hand picked these days and they want a natural player in that sense to play when he is rested.  André Gomes was used there last season and he doesn't come close to providing what's needed there.

37 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

From what's been spoken Coutinho would have two functions...  One to rotate with Iniesta (Coutinho is in effect an interior-left player as is Iniesta and there aren't that many in the world of football) and as you said, slightly deeper and more central when needed.  Iniesta has his games hand picked these days and they want a natural player in that sense to play when he is rested.  André Gomes was used there last season and he doesn't come close to providing what's needed there.

Bit of a risk paying over £100m for someone to play midfield when Coutinho has played about 98% of his career on the left of a front 3. 

Dont get me wrong he'll probably adapt superbly because he's a fantastic player but you'd think Barca would like proof he can adapt before spending that amount. 

14 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Bit of a risk paying over £100m for someone to play midfield when Coutinho has played about 98% of his career on the left of a front 3. 

Dont get me wrong he'll probably adapt superbly because he's a fantastic player but you'd think Barca would like proof he can adapt before spending that amount. 

As far as I'm aware Coutinho has played in deeper roles for Liverpool on certain occasions and performed very well.  He's also played in that interior-left position for Liverpool behind the front man/men.  His style of play is actually one that does fit Barça's form of attacking which is why he's been connected as a possible signing for Barcelona for a number of years now.  The misconception here due to Neymar's departure is that somehow that has something to do with Barcelona's interest in the player and that isn't the case because like I said several times, they've been interested in him for over two years now and even this summer before the Neymar rumours came to the public scene Barça were already looking into signing him.  Neymar's replacement would be Dembélé or one or two others of a similar type and it would be a case of signing both types of players, one (Coutinho) because the interest was always there and the other to replace the Neymar vacancy.

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

As far as I'm aware Coutinho has played in deeper roles for Liverpool on certain occasions and performed very well.  He's also played in that interior-left position for Liverpool behind the front man/men.  His style of play is actually one that does fit Barça's form of attacking which is why he's been connected as a possible signing for Barcelona for a number of years now.  The misconception here due to Neymar's departure is that somehow that has something to do with Barcelona's interest in the player and that isn't the case because like I said several times, they've been interested in him for over two years now and even this summer before the Neymar rumours came to the public scene Barça were already looking into signing him.  Neymar's replacement would be Dembélé or one or two others of a similar type and it would be a case of signing both types of players, one (Coutinho) because the interest was always there and the other to replace the Neymar vacancy.

Coutinho played about 4 games at the back end of last season in a deeper role. The rest of time ,under both Rodgers and Klopp, he's been deployed on the left of a front 3 and occasionally in the number 10 position. He has very little experience in the Iniesta role and even less deeper than that. 

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Coutinho played about 4 games at the back end of last season in a deeper role. The rest of time ,under both Rodgers and Klopp, he's been deployed on the left of a front 3 and occasionally in the number 10 position. He has very little experience in the Iniesta role and even less deeper than that. 

Barça have an experienced technical team that look at these things, follow players and asses circumstances surrounding their own team and player's they are following.  Barça don't have a manager, they have a coach mate.  These people look at the credentials of the player, how he plays, performs and what he provides for a team.  All of those details are then looked into and from there on an interest is either applied as serious or put into a secondary state of affairs where they just keep tabs on the player.  Coutinho was a secondary case for a while but after last season he became a primary interest which is why we now have the serious interest in the player from FC Barcelona and the intent to contract him.  Nothing is ever concrete in football as you well know even when looking at a player that directly plays in a position you're looking for...  Many factors come into play which is why a technical team is much more important than a manager in today's football.

I personally don't feel that Coutinho is required right now and that two other situations in the team need to be looked at, but they seem to see diversity in Coutinho's football (that's the info that's being leaked from within) and why they're pushing quite hard for him.  What I will say is that the way Barça are doing business with Liverpool for Coutinho's services isn't the usual method which to me smells of not full on certainty and that's why I think that spending stupid money on Coutinho may be an error from Barça's standpoint.  They already made this expensive error with André Gomes and I would've hoped they'd have learned their lesson.

19 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Barça have an experienced technical team that look at these things, follow players and asses circumstances surrounding their own team and player's they are following.  Barça don't have a manager, they have a coach mate.  These people look at the credentials of the player, how he plays, performs and what he provides for a team.  All of those details are then looked into and from there on an interest is either applied as serious or put into a secondary state of affairs where they just keep tabs on the player.  Coutinho was a secondary case for a while but after last season he became a primary interest which is why we now have the serious interest in the player from FC Barcelona and the intent to contract him.  Nothing is ever concrete in football as you well know even when looking at a player that directly plays in a position you're looking for...  Many factors come into play which is why a technical team is much more important than a manager in today's football.

I personally don't feel that Coutinho is required right now and that two other situations in the team need to be looked at, but they seem to see diversity in Coutinho's football (that's the info that's being leaked from within) and why they're pushing quite hard for him.  What I will say is that the way Barça are doing business with Liverpool for Coutinho's services isn't the usual method which to me smells of not full on certainty and that's why I think that spending stupid money on Coutinho may be an error from Barça's standpoint.  They already made this expensive error with André Gomes and I would've hoped they'd have learned their lesson.

Oh no doubt they have looked at his attributes and decided that he'd fit into those positions you mention seamlessly. 

Im just saying he hasn't played in them very often at all. 

I actually think he'll excell playing deeper as he'll be more involved. That's only a good thing because he's an exceptional talent who is only going to get better. 

Gutted he's going to be honest but hey ho, that's football. Sure we'll be fine. 

26 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Didn't he play on the left of the diamond during 13/14?

11 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

More as the number 10 behind the strikers I think. Although him and Sterling had license to drift pretty much where they liked. 

I was going to say that my memory of it was that Sterling played behind the strikers with Coutinho deeper

9 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

This one depends on how much Barcelona want to up the ante and push this through. I do get the feeling they can either pay way over the odds now, or do a reasonable deal in a year's time. 

The longer it goes on I think the more Coutinho gets itchy feet and starts thinking about how Liverpool have sort of stood still this summer and missed out on their two biggest targets.

If I were the club I'd probably cease with the "he'll leave over my dead body" stance because every player has his price and when Barcelona make an offer that's too good to refuse Liverpool either accept it and anger the fans because they've lied about it or turn it down knowing that deal might never be on the table again.

Sources can say all they want, for me it's 50/50 whether this happens. Are Barcelona linked with any alternatives in the same position?

That's what we want though?

12 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Didn't he play on the left of the diamond during 13/14?

Yes, and he was excellent (see the home game against Arsenal that season for more details). Many, myself included, believe that to be his best position.

14 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I was going to say that my memory of it was that Sterling played behind the strikers with Coutinho deeper

Gerrard and Henderson played deeper whilst Coutinho and Sterling basically floated behind Suarez & Sturridge. 

Coutinho has never really played deep untill the last few games of last season, where he was exceptional to be fair. 

Klopp said before pre-season that that is where he planned on playing him more often this season with Salah, Firmino & Mane ahead of him but looks like that plan has gone down the shitter xD

Some interesting quotes in here from Klopp answering questions from Sky Sports Germany..

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10982010/jurgen-klopp-insists-philippe-coutinho-is-priceless-to-liverpool

Some quotes indicate that Coutinho isn't going anywhere whilst others hint of him conceding defeat?!?! 

Fuck knows, either sell him or tell them to fuck off. Can't be arsed with all this media postering. 

Doesn't concede defeat at all. Pretty much says that although every player has a price tag, we are are not in a position where we have to sell players and that we will not sell a player if we don't have "time to react". 

After our immediate rejection of their last offer I'm starting to think the owners are possiblt serious about keeping him, though im not naive enough to believe they aren't just doing it to raise the price either.

9 minutes ago, FOYM said:

Doesn't concede defeat at all. Pretty much says that although every player has a price tag, we are are not in a position where we have to sell players and that we will not sell a player if we don't have "time to react". 

After our immediate rejection of their last offer I'm starting to think the owners are possiblt serious about keeping him, though im not naive enough to believe they aren't just doing it to raise the price either.

Yeah, can't be arsed to read it again but I remember a part of that article where Klopp says something like "whatever they end up paying", which sounded like 'they will end up getting him'. Dunno, maybe I'm reading too much into it?

Then there's the perfectly timed mysterious back injury that will 'apparently' keep Coutinho out for a week or two... or untill this is all sorted maybe?

i just think this all stinks of a move going through. It's now all about how much we can get for him. 

If he goes he goes and we'll recover and move on like we always do when top players leave but what's imperative is that we throw the money straight back for our top targets (VVD & Kieta) because if we don't then this window will have been an absolute disaster. 

Even if we keep Coutinho, If we don't get at least VVD this window then it'll have been a shit show. 

This back injury bullshit has pissed me off an all. If he is staying, PLAY THE FUCKER. If not, at least have the balls to tell us your flogging him.

1 minute ago, FOYM said:

Even if we keep Coutinho, If we don't get at least VVD this window then it'll have been a shit show. 

This back injury bullshit has pissed me off an all. If he is staying, PLAY THE FUCKER. If not, at least have the balls to tell us your flogging him.

That's what I'm saying... the injury is all too convenient for me and suggests that he's going. Hope I'm wrong. 

Play him in a meaningless friendly even though he's injured? Jesus Christ, people.

And MadLad, you're definitely reading too much into it. It's one word from a non-native speaker in an interview where he's saying money isn't the issue, it's time and availability of replacements.

8 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Play him in a meaningless friendly even though he's injured? Jesus Christ, people.

And MadLad, you're definitely reading too much into it. It's one word from a non-native speaker in an interview where he's saying money isn't the issue, it's time and availability of replacements.

What you mean "play him in a meaningless friendly"?

Hes been ruled out of our first two games of the season...Conveniently.

And Klopp wasn't a non native speaker. He was talking to Sky Sports Germany so nothing lost in translation there. Klopps English is very good so even then, nothing lost in translation. 

And im not reading too much into anything mate, I'm one of the more positive people on here when it comes to Liverpool but the signs are all there that this deal will go through. 

Hope he stays, don't think he will, not going to lose my shit either way. That's me. 

16 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

What you mean "play him in a meaningless friendly"?

Hes been ruled out of our first two games of the season...Conveniently. 

And im not reading too much into anything mate, I'm one of the more positive people on here when it comes to Liverpool but the signs are all there that this deal will go through. 

He hasn't been ruled out though! The only game he's missed so far is Athletic last week, a meaningless friendly.

I know you're usually optimistic, which is why I'm so surprised you're losing your mind over an injury. What other signs are there? Us rejecting two offers within minutes of receiving them and every journalist with serious connections to the club, and the manager, unequivocally stating he's not going anywhere?

9 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

He hasn't been ruled out though! The only game he's missed so far is Athletic last week, a meaningless friendly.

I know you're usually optimistic, which is why I'm so surprised you're losing your mind over an injury. What other signs are there? Us rejecting two offers within minutes of receiving them and every journalist with serious connections to the club, and the manager, unequivocally stating he's not going anywhere?

I'm not losing my mind mate, I'm simply saying that it could go through. 

You want to see 'losing my mind'?

just wait and see the reaction of some if it actually does go through!

Omg it will be "FSG are the devil", "Klopp should walk", "Im going to kill myself" etc etc xD

Would do well to keep him for another season. Think Liverpool should just accept their current place in the game and let him go. There's no shame in selling a player to Barcelona, especially one you will make a profit of about £100 million on.

4 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Would do well to keep him for another season. Think Liverpool should just accept their current place in the game and let him go. There's no shame in selling a player to Barcelona, especially one you will make a profit of about £100 million on.

This is why it's so hard today for clubs on the verge of going from good to great  is so hard. 

We have a really good team but what comes with that is developing really good players. When that happens though the powerhouse clubs come sniffing and it knocks you back again. 

Weve had it for years, Spurs are about to see it happen, Arsenal have had it for years and Everton will experience the same thing soon enough. 

Its shit but it's modern day football. 

Yeah, fuck that bullshit entirely lol. If Coutinho goes this close to the season starting, FSG have chosen money over glory. That's not how you grow as a football club.

Especially not when we're flush with fucking cash. Sell him, just because "that's our place" when we don't need the money? Jesus fucking wept, what kind of melts are you? The ONLY way it's justifiable to sell him is if we get Suarez back (obviously not happening) or if we get a fee upwards of £150m AND we sign a replacement first (which would require a lot of competence from our recruitment team... so that's not going to happen).

34 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah, fuck that bullshit entirely lol. If Coutinho goes this close to the season starting, FSG have chosen money over glory. That's not how you grow as a football club.

Especially not when we're flush with fucking cash. Sell him, just because "that's our place" when we don't need the money? Jesus fucking wept, what kind of melts are you? The ONLY way it's justifiable to sell him is if we get Suarez back (obviously not happening) or if we get a fee upwards of £150m AND we sign a replacement first (which would require a lot of competence from our recruitment team... so that's not going to happen).

See this is where I have the issue with people claiming it's FSG that are ruining us. 

In this particular scenario both club and Klopp have said Coutinho is not for sale. 

Klopp has also said that no player will be sold without him sanctioning it and we have already rejected over £90m. 

Klopp (on numerous occasions) has said that he will NEVER keep a player that wants to leave, he also said he would never sign a player that wasn't 100% committed to joining the club (Draxler etc).

Its very easy without knowing the ins and outs of the story to assume that FSG are delighted that Coutinho is on his way, but is that the true picture?

Its been well documented that Coutinho is 'open' to the move so how do we know that behind the scenes Coutinho hasn't told Klopp that he wants off? 

If that's the case then Klopp himself has said he wouldn't stand in a players way, proven by him spending 7 years at Dortmund who constantly sold their best players. 

Fuck me I really am sick of hearing this "FSG are cunts" bollocks. There's more to big player/money transfers than "oh, we've sold him, it's the owners fault".  

Before it gets to the owners there are things like :Does the player want the move? :Does the manager want a player who wants to move? :Does the manager think he can improve the team with the insane money on offer?

Surely you lot don't think it's as simple as the owners saying "yeahhhh gimme gimme gimme"?

Fuck sake xD

Now, if Coutinho is sold and Klopp walks out on the club stating that he's been undermined then I'll gladly hold my hands up and say "yeah, FSG are cunts".

But if Coutinho is sold and Klopp comes out all smiles and hugs as he usually does then I'll continue to assume that some of you lot are bedwetting bastards :D

• The title was changed to Philippe Coutinho Officially Signs for FC Barcelona
  • The topic was locked

Archived