talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Turkey & Syria Earthquake

football forum

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like Christian Atsu who used to play for us and Chelsea is amongst the people stuck in the rubble.

It's just awful, as above seen a few videos on Twitter of the buildings just crumbling. God knows what the death tally will end up at but it's just sickening news.

• Subscriber
41 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Watching some of those buildings coming down was not very pleasant... hope people managed to get clear before that happened

As of now, there have been 87 (!) earthquakes + aftershocks in Central Turkey in the last 18 hours. It's hard to think of the damage and loss of life this is causing. 

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Such a fucked up world we live in when a needless war is being fought and there are billions being pumped into it instead of everyone coming together for disasters like this...  

Fortunately, the world is mobilizing for help... The White Helmets started rescue operations in Syria immediately, while the Netherlands, Romania, Taiwan, UK, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czechia, France, Greece, Poland, France, Germany, India, Israel, Bosnia, Pakistan, Lebanon, Malta, Russia, Libya, Japan and others have already sent or are preparing to send rescue and medical teams to Turkey as well. 

22 minutes ago, nudge said:

As of now, there have been 87 (!) earthquakes + aftershocks in Central Turkey in the last 18 hours. It's hard to think of the damage and loss of life this is causing. 

I don't understand how they didn't see this coming??? with all the modern quake monitoring equipment they have these days there must have been some signs of it's arrival?? I appreciate that they can do little about it once it hits but surely there was some activity prior to that?? 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I don't understand how they didn't see this coming??? with all the modern quake monitoring equipment they have these days there must have been some signs of it's arrival?? I appreciate that they can do little about it once it hits but surely there was some activity prior to that?? 

7 Methods to Predict Earthquake

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

It's extremely hard/impossible to predict a major earthquake accurately, even with modern technology. Apparently, in this case, there were no prior abnormal readings either...

12 hours ago, nudge said:

It's extremely hard/impossible to predict a major earthquake accurately, even with modern technology. Apparently, in this case, there were no prior abnormal readings either...

The guy who made that tweet about the earthquake relates it to the planetary movements and effects of moon. I do believe some pseudosciences that don't fit in the scientific method have some merits about them. 

• Administrator
14 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

The birds knew. 

Weirdly, I'm willing to believe that animals/nature has a way of 'feeling' these earth-moving events way before they happen.

I had a relative (since passed) who was in Sri Lanka in 2004 at Christmas time. He had a dog, and went for a walk early morning as he usually would with it down the beach. On Christmas Day and Boxing Day, his dog would go nowhere near the water. No matter what. It kept shying away from it and would have none of it. After what happened in Banda Aceh on Boxing Day, He honestly believed it was because it could 'feel' that something was happening underground and was scared. 

I've also heard stories that larger animals would flee to higher ground and go up to the hills before the event, too. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Beelzebub said:

The guy who made that tweet about the earthquake relates it to the planetary movements and effects of moon. I do believe some pseudosciences that don't fit in the scientific method have some merits about them. 

Yeah, I saw it yesterday when you posted it and then read the methodology of his alleged forecasts. I generally try to keep an open mind when it comes to things like that, especially considering that groundbreaking ideas and discoveries in science have often been ridiculed in the past before they became well established and universally accepted. However, there are few things that irks me in this case. Firstly, the wording of his prediction - "sooner or later" is hardly a forecast, and definitely not an accurate or scientific one, even if the timing of his tweet this time kind of coincided with the actual earthquake a few days later. In other words, you could say that sooner or later there will be a major earthquake in any seismically active area along any major fault lines, and your prediction will be true, too. It's not much different from actual seismologists saying that there's an x% chance of a major earthquake happening in a certain region within the next x years; his original prediction of "sooner or later" was even more vague than that. Secondly, when I first read that his forecasts are based on planetary positions and movement, I expected gravitational force of celestial bodies on Earth to be the reasoning behind it, which could at least be plausible, even if the calculations do not support the idea either (which he himself admits, too, so he says gravitational force plays no role). Instead though, it appears to be based solely on the planetary geometry - according to him, a certain alignment/conjunctions of the planets releases some electromagnetic charge especially when Mercury and 90 degree angles are involved, which, in regards of plausibility, is about at the level of astrology for me... So I will remain highly skeptical (to put it mildly), unless he can use his model to accurately forecast earthquakes on a regular basis and until it can be reproduced by other scientists using the same methodology.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

The birds knew. 

Weirdly, I'm willing to believe that animals/nature has a way of 'feeling' these earth-moving events way before they happen.

I had a relative (since passed) who was in Sri Lanka in 2004 at Christmas time. He had a dog, and went for a walk early morning as he usually would with it down the beach. On Christmas Day and Boxing Day, his dog would go nowhere near the water. No matter what. It kept shying away from it and would have none of it. After what happened in Banda Aceh on Boxing Day, He honestly believed it was because it could 'feel' that something was happening underground and was scared. 

I've also heard stories that larger animals would flee to higher ground and go up to the hills before the event, too. 

It's really not weird to believe that at all... It might not have been proven scientifically yet, but cases of animals behaving weirdly before natural disasters have been well-documented all throughout the history of the mankind, and even from the top of my head, there are quite a few plausible potential explanations to that. Different animals have different senses, and might be able to pick up smaller vibrations/tremors and low frequency sound waves way before we do. Also some animals, birds in particular, might be be able to sense the electromagnetic changes and anomalies underground that happen before the earthquakes. Insects living in the ground at the fault lines may sense the small gas pockets, etc.

I know one thing - if I saw animals behaving weirdly and fleeing, I would definitely flee with them, too! 

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, Tommy said:

So 5 days after the Earthquakes, they are still pulling people out of the rubble alive. Astounding. 

a 10-day old baby at that, too! Miraculous. 

Archived