talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 7 - 30th Sept-3rd Oct, 2023

football forum

5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Looking around at the VAR stuff cos I didnt watch the game. Seen some Twitter accounts defending that Curtis Jones red. About a clear red card you will ever see, leg breaker.

Surely that Jota disallowed goal can’t be right? The stills I’ve seen he looks so onside…what happened at the time to allow it? A foul outside the goal?

Just a straight offside call. No fouls in the build up. They just said it was offside, even though it is so clearly onside. It’s not even a close call. That is absolutely a call made to benefit Spurs, it can’t be anything else. 

And now there is a statement coming from the refereeing wankers. No doubt it’ll be a “the VAR forgot to draw the lines, sorry about that one. He won’t be on duty next week.” And then that will be it. 

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Rick said:

But they didn’t? Let’s not gift Spurs credit for that victory, because they have been handed it. We had a legitimate goal chalked off and it took an own goal for them to win. I’m not having it that they deserved anything. 

Cry more 

3 minutes ago, Rick said:

Just a straight offside call. No fouls in the build up. They just said it was offside, even though it is so clearly onside. It’s not even a close call. That is absolutely a call made to benefit Spurs, it can’t be anything else. 

And now there is a statement coming from the refereeing wankers. No doubt it’ll be a “the VAR forgot to draw the lines, sorry about that one. He won’t be on duty next week.” And then that will be it. 

The drawing of the lines seems to be an issue, sometimes they draw them , sometimes they don't.  But can they actually draw the lines wrong?  I have seen different drawn lines that show the Garnacho goal against Arsenal to be onside.  

8 minutes ago, Rick said:

That statement is an absolute disgrace. This needs to be beginning of the end of VAR. 

On field mistakes are forgivable, VAR mistakes aren’t. It’s high time for sacking some of these officials, the ones that can’t get an offside decision correct with VAR are probably a good place to start. That’s below minimum competence for an official, so that’s a decent standard.

If they want refs to stop getting abuse, start giving officials consequences for being shite. They are so insulated from any sort of accountability and then they cry about getting too much abuse. It’s a fucking joke.

If you’re shit at your job, you should get sacked and if you’re not going to get sacked because it’s just a gang of your mates… take the fucking abuse that you deserve on the fucking chin.

• Like 1

PGMOL have now admitted they fucked up with the offside.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66973987

How long until we actually start to see some accountability, rather than 'they won't be on duty for next week' or some other bollocks excuse?

EDIT: Gonzo basically said it better.

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

If its a "significant human error" tell us the human or humans.

If I make a mistake in my job I get pulled front of a disciplinary tribunal. A girl I worked with got sacked last week for making mistakes. 

Why are refs so completely insulated from any consequences of their mistakes? Release their names, let's have their explanations of how the "mistakes" happened and let them suffer the consequences like men. 

Edited by Inverted
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick said:

But they didn’t? Let’s not gift Spurs credit for that victory, because they have been handed it. We had a legitimate goal chalked off and it took an own goal for them to win. I’m not having it that they deserved anything. 

Well said

2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

How long until we actually start to see some accountability, rather than 'they won't be on duty for next week' or some other bollocks excuse?

They aren’t even taking these officials off duty. Honestly I think Simon Hooper and whoever was on VAR need to be moved down to pub football or something like that. They should be nowhere near a pitch with pros playing on it ever again.

3 minutes ago, Inverted said:

If its a "significant human error" tell us the human or humans.

If I make a mistake in my job I get pulled front of a disciplinary tribunal. A girl I worked with got sacked last week for making mistakes. 

Why are refs so completely insulated from any consequences of their mistakes? Release their names, let's have their explanations of how the "mistakes" happens and let them suffer the consequences like men. 

But think of those poor referees, they might be embarrassed or have their feelings hurt if they had the same kind of accountability as… normal people.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They aren’t even taking these officials off duty. Honestly I think Simon Hooper and whoever was on VAR need to be moved down to pub football or something like that. They should be nowhere near a pitch with pros playing on it ever again.

I go and watch pub football on a Sunday and wouldn't want them reffing xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Cute. The very reason they wanted tech in the first place is the very reason the tech failed to give the right result. Do refs have some special union or something in their contracts that absolves them from these kinds of mistakes. Forget about this game alone, many other games get bad decisions that potentially could have been overturned and now teams lose a point here and there which eventually adds up over a season. Maybe the FA should finally admit that they are incompetent when following the global rules for VAR because they sure as hell apply them as "they" see fit. 

• Subscriber

They love a good apology don't they?

I was sat at my mate's chatting and not even paying full attention to the game. The Diaz goal looked close, but if I had to pick then I'd definitely have said it was onside. But it was close enough that I wouldn't have been baffled by some slightly iffy line drawing that said it was offside because we've seen that enough times.

What was absolutely baffling to me was how quickly they looked at it and shrugged it off without even broadcasting any of the lines they usually draw.

If I can sit there and think wait a minute this is going to be close from the still image they showed on the broadcast and the majority of viewers are saying the same then it absolutely perplexes me that the VAR officials gave it such a cursory look and just moved on. I don't buy into the corruption or conspiracy theories, the only logic I can apply to it is that maybe they didn't want to intervene again having already overturned one call in such a big match but that is no excuse whatsoever.

I don't know what they can really do other than get good at officiating and using VAR because if you take it away again you just go back to the same problem we had before where even more glaring errors get made. You can't expect perfection from the officials but you can expect them not to be making such horrifically bad mistakes in the 4th or 5th year of using this technology that it requires them to make a public apology after the game.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

I think a bit of reform is in order and it really should start with this. The VAR officials are never allowed to referee on the pitch and vice-versa. The fact that these are teams has never really ever sat well with me. They then run the risk of saying things like Rando eluded to. Have two separate groups doing the VAR + The Refereeing and that should solve about 60% of the issues. Now, it doesn't matter what the ref thinks or says, the VAR acts independently instead of with the ref. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Can someone check Ayew after the game? May need some form of CAT scan as he’s falling over a lot for apparently no reason.

He is brilliant at drawing in fouls and retaining the ball. Against Wolves when we were winning he had three players round him until he would draw in the foul. He won us several free kicks in the second half at Anfield last season too.

It's funny because if you offered Ayew or Schlupp to a newly promoted team for five million, they'd probably say no. They'd rather spend twenty million on a young creative winner with less experience. But in games like this experienced heads like Ayew and Schlupp that are good at ball carrying and dictating play in the final third are perfect.

• The topic was unpinned