talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 7 - 30th Sept-3rd Oct, 2023

football forum

14 hours ago, Rick said:

I’m absolutely gutted at that. Especially when City lose for fuck sake, we end up dropping points. No real fault of our own, but those opportunities aren’t going to come often. 

Might be the reason they didn't want you to win.

• Subscriber

People like to pretend when it happens to their club that this is the first time this has ever happened. I remember when Rodri got off with that blatant handball at Goodison a couple of seasons ago it was outrage. "If we get relegated by 1 point then we should sue PGMOL". In fact I'm pretty sure Liverpool fans were saying the same about if they went on to lose the title to City by 1 point after that.

Everyone needs to calm down. Yes it's gross incompetence but this is one of 1000s of incidents over the course of the season that will determine Liverpool's and Spurs finishing positions in the table and there will be absolutely no way anyone will be able to look back in May and make a credible claim that a decision made in one match was decisive in the outcome of the season.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

People like to pretend when it happens to their club that this is the first time this has ever happened. I remember when Rodri got off with that blatant handball at Goodison a couple of seasons ago it was outrage. "If we get relegated by 1 point then we should sue PGMOL". In fact I'm pretty sure Liverpool fans were saying the same about if they went on to lose the title to City by 1 point after that.

Everyone needs to calm down. Yes it's gross incompetence but this is one of 1000s of incidents over the course of the season that will determine Liverpool's and Spurs finishing positions in the table and there will be absolutely no way anyone will be able to look back in May and make a credible claim that a decision made in one match was decisive in the outcome of the season.

I’m not going with the idea of ‘this could cost our season’ but I won’t calm down either because if we do then that’s just us accepting this sort of bollocks. I remember being infuriated with that Rodri handball against you lot, and here we are a couple years later still having issues with referees who get away with constant bad performances. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Rick said:

I’m not going with the idea of ‘this could cost our season’ but I won’t calm down either because if we do then that’s just us accepting this sort of bollocks. I remember being infuriated with that Rodri handball against you lot, and here we are a couple years later still having issues with referees who get away with constant bad performances. 

I think you can be angry at the situation and also realise that it won't cost you your season with so much left of it. 

30 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think you can be angry at the situation and also realise that it won't cost you your season with so much left of it. 

I know, I just said that. Still think the anger and uproar needs to be kept up. I hope the club do something big, try and make an example of the situation as much as possible. This shouldn’t be swept under the carpet. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Stan said:

That's a bit far mate considering it wasn't even him making this error. 

Nah, he had a shambolic match as well and these people are given far too much respect.  I think they’re scum and I’m going to treat them the way I think they should be treated on the off chance they ever google their name and what I say pops up for them.

5 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Sacking Darren England does absolutely nothing to help the others. When a 'How does that happen?' scenario happens in other professions they look to change something that prevents a similar outcome happening again.

What they should do now, in my opinion, is come up with standard phraseology that the VAR officials use. So in this case of an offside, it shouldn't refer to the on field decision as it doesnt matter. 

They're in a stressful environment where they're trying to do things with an amount of time pressure that they know are going to be scrutinised worldwide, and people do strange things in times of stress. This can be minimised with standard communication procedures. The chaotic nature of the communication and background noise of players in refs ears is going to lead to more errors.

I’m pretty sure there is standard phraseology and Darren England’s just a stupid fucker. Keep him out of football for the good of the game.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nah, he had a shambolic match as well and these people are given far too much respect.  I think they’re scum and I’m going to treat them the way I think they should be treated on the off chance they ever google their name and what I say pops up for them.

I’m pretty sure there is standard phraseology and Darren England’s just a stupid fucker. Keep him out of football for the good of the game.

I get you think they're scum but saying they should have been aborted is mad. 

Michael Oliver, Daniel Cook and Darren England officiated an ADNOC Pro League match in Dubai, UAE on 28th September 2023.

https://www.uaeproleague.ae/en/fixtures/d5f295d8-0f45-11ee-afb1-d481d7b85086 - click lineups, then officials…

Should referees be allowed to take side gigs? Should referees be allowed to take side gigs from leagues owned by the same country that owns a team in the league where their main gig is?

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

If they know they have made a serious error then they should just award the goal and change the result to a draw... 

What a precedent to set though. Next thing they'll decide Curtis Jones shouldn't have been sent off and they'll have to be working out what the result would have been then. You could say yeah an incorrect red card so we'll award them an extra goal but it completely changed the flow of the game. How do we know Spurs wouldn't have won 4-1 if Liverpool didn't go down to 9 men and have to park the bus? You can see from the Newcastle Liverpool game just a few weeks ago where Liverpool were getting battered for the first 30 minutes, 1-0 down, got a red card, you'd have expected Newcastle to go and win 2 or 3 nil but actually Liverpool won.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

What a precedent to set though. Next thing they'll decide Curtis Jones shouldn't have been sent off and they'll have to be working out what the result would have been then. You could say yeah an incorrect red card so we'll award them an extra goal but it completely changed the flow of the game. How do we know Spurs wouldn't have won 4-1 if Liverpool didn't go down to 9 men and have to park the bus? You can see from the Newcastle Liverpool game just a few weeks ago where Liverpool were getting battered for the first 30 minutes, 1-0 down, got a red card, you'd have expected Newcastle to go and win 2 or 3 nil but actually Liverpool won.

I get what you are saying but you can't make a decision based on what if's... It was a fact that the goal that was scored should have stood so they could justify that.. How a sending off might or might not influence a game is pure speculation, Sometimes it favours the team with the extra man sometimes not, If any Red cards are found to have been given incorrectly then at least they can be appealed and reversed so that a player does not serve a ban unjustly.. As it stands there are zero options to appeal a perfectly legitimate goal and as long as there are no real repercussions for the officials then it will continue.. Taking someone off that duty for a period of time does not solve the problem as we already know.. 

24 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Wish the media would pick this up more and ask some tough questions to Howard Webb. Even if it’s somehow not the UAE funneling money to their pockets (and imo that’s a big “somehow”), it’s definitely a conflict of interest.

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Danny said:

Stonewall pen not given lol. Get Steve Cooper out of the division please, dreadful football. At least Dyche and Pulis provided entertainment, tried to score goals.

Amazed there wasn't more uproar about that. Didn't even see that many appeals by Brentford players.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

I get what you are saying but you can't make a decision based on what if's... It was a fact that the goal that was scored should have stood so they could justify that.. How a sending off might or might not influence a game is pure speculation, Sometimes it favours the team with the extra man sometimes not, If any Red cards are found to have been given incorrectly then at least they can be appealed and reversed so that a player does not serve a ban unjustly.. As it stands there are zero options to appeal a perfectly legitimate goal and as long as there are no real repercussions for the officials then it will continue.. Taking someone off that duty for a period of time does not solve the problem as we already know.. 

Yeah but that was in the first half. You never know how things might affect games. That Diaz goal standing could have spurred Liverpool on to win comfortably or it could have got the home crowd and Spurs could have roared back and won 5-1. You just don't know so you can't go retrospectively re-giving goals.

Imagine someone like Luton went to Man City, parked the bus and got a 0-0 draw but Man City had a goal disallowed in the 15th minute. After the game the referee admits it should have stood and they award Man City a 1-0 win. Luton are then well within their rights to say what the fuck, we could have spent 75 minutes getting back into the game there, we've just parked the bus for 75 minutes thinking we had a point to defend when we should have been trying to get an equaliser. 

It just doesn't work. Maybe if the goal in question is in like the 95th minute and there's no time for the other team to respond but then who decides where to draw the line?

I think it would be insane to change the result. That’s not fair on Spurs. Who knows how they would have reacted to going down a goal - it’s almost as unfair as the refs being incompetent and/or bent was. It’s also not fair to have the match replayed - it’s not either of the players fault the refs are incompetent and/or bent. Players are already playing to the point of exhaustion, why add another match - that’s also ridiculous.

That’s why the situation is so shit. There’s no real way of granting equity & PMGOL will just pull the official for a week. They’ll just pop off to the UAE on the side gig in the mean time, then come back to fuck things up again in the future because there’s no repercussions.

So nothing really changes.

edit - I forgot to quote @Bluewolfwhoopsy

Feel for Liverpool and it will sting but they got to suck it up. Someone's made an honest mistake, they have fucked up, and that's all there is to it. The officials in question should be relegated to the Championship (Ah, fuck...) as a result of such high level incompetance.

Sadly, the only way forward from instances like these now really are to just go all in with the technology.

The sooner they use some kind of automated system that eradicates the use for as little human interpretation as possible, the better.

It's a bit shit it's got to come to that but the organisations fought to make the game as perfect as possible so they may as well go the whole hog with it now.

Let's be honest, we've all been stung by it over the past 3/4 years and we've all benefited from it too. The inconsistancies are annoying but whilst you have that human involvement, it is what it is.

Edited by Lucas

• Subscriber
On 30/09/2023 at 18:08, Inverted said:

The integrity of the PL as a sporting competition is quite possibly compromised.

I really do think it's rigged at this point. It's impossible that they're this incompetent.

It's just gotten too big for its own good. It baffles me how people are so sure this league is squeaky clean.

• Upvote 1

It’s the fact that they realised their error as soon as the ref awarded Spurs a free kick for offside, and still didn’t interfere to tell the ref that it was onside. There is no excuse for that, that’s not a mistake. They’ve purposely made the wrong decision. 

• The topic was unpinned