talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Next 'New' Premier League Winners

• Administrator

Which team do you think will be the next 'original' Premier League winners? A side that has never won it before.

Last original winners were Liverpool in 2019/20, previous to this was Leicester (2015/16) and Man City (2011/12) then have to go all the way back to 2004/05 season for Chelsea's 1st title. 

Who's next on the list? Tottenham? Newcastle? Villa? 

It is most likely to be one of those. If someone ever got a Leeds reboot right, they could be another very realistic contender at some stage.

The current FFP stuff seems designed to keep Newcastle from doing a straightforward Man City. But, who knows what loopholes & lucrative sponsorship they may find.

This time last year I would have said Newcastle. But Big Ange has suddenly made Spurs seem more realistic than I've ever known them. And Emery is looking like a tactical genius & excellent man manager. Both of the qualities needed. And not many seem to have both.

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Going to have to say Newcastle too. They are a few signings away from getting there. Have to ditch the manager too while they are at it. 

I'd say certain players need replacing an positions filled with better quality before ditching how for some rockstar manager, there aren't exactly good options available.

GK, LB, CB, DM and RW need improvement, GK is the lowest priority.  

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I'd say certain players need replacing an positions filled with better quality before ditching how for some rockstar manager, there aren't exactly good options available.

GK, LB, CB, DM and RW need improvement, GK is the lowest priority.  

To me the two aren't really exclusive to each other (player replacements + manager upgrade). Having a better manager can sometimes bring you the players you need better than having an existing one who is slowly running his course. That said, you're right, there isn't one out there right now so player replacements/position strengthening is the way to go.

18 hours ago, Mel81x said:

To me the two aren't really exclusive to each other (player replacements + manager upgrade). Having a better manager can sometimes bring you the players you need better than having an existing one who is slowly running his course. That said, you're right, there isn't one out there right now so player replacements/position strengthening is the way to go.

it may be one of those Rogers to Klopp things but we first need to get the playing staff to that level that should we need to replace Howe the coach has a much higher floor to work with.

we won't attract massive names now

• Administrator
On 13/12/2023 at 16:09, Stan said:

Who's next on the list? Tottenham? Newcastle? Villa? 

8 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

If Villa can keep hold of Unai Emery then I think they have a good chance, I see no one (yet) has mentioned Spurs?

• Administrator

I think it probably will be Newcastle as they'll continue to get bankrolled with whatever they need, whenever they need it.

Don't actually think it'll be Spurs. They seem to perennially lack the depth needed to mount a serious title challenge. And it's probably too early to tell if they can sustain anything given how short a time Postecoglou has been there. 

• Upvote 1

Man United - 10 years since last title, next would be 21st

Arsenal - 20 years since last title, next would be 14th

Liverpool - 1 title in last 30 years or so, next would be 20th

Villa - 40 years since last title, next would be 8th

Spurs - 60 years since last title, next would 3rd

Newcastle - near 100 years since last title, next would be 5th

Spurs have magnificent PR & Newcastle have sexy Saudi Arabia.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Man United - 10 years since last title, next would be 21st

Arsenal - 20 years since last title, next would be 14th

Liverpool - 1 title in last 30 years or so, next would be 20th

Villa - 40 years since last title, next would be 8th

Spurs - 60 years since last title, next would 3rd

Newcastle - near 100 years since last title, next would be 5th

Spurs have magnificent PR & Newcastle have sexy Saudi Arabia.

Leicester - 7 years since last title. Next would be 2nd.

• Subscriber

I can't see Spurs winning it anytime soon. They lack the consistency and depth which are required in the modern game to actually mount a title challenge. Plus they're competing (like everyone else) with clubs funded a lot better than they are.