talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 17 - 15-17th December, 2023

football forum

• Subscriber

United showed absolutely no ambition there but the plan worked to near perfection to be fair.

It's probably not the case but that Liverpool performance almost came across as if they themselves believed it was going to be a case of how many they'd win by. It was as if they turned up expecting Man Utd to crumble and then when they hadn't scored within the first 30 minutes they didn't actually know what to do.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, MUFC said:

If Dalot got a yellow, why didn't Nunez in the first half for screaming at the ref and then booting the ball away? 

There was still time for a talking point to develop when Nunez did that. There wasn't when Dalot did his. So he's had to use that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Calm down we made our big rivals turn up to Anfield with the courage of a league 2 side desperate to just not lose. It’s remarkable we’re in the title race after last season and so many massive changes.

Next week is more important.

Agree. You can't compare the two games. United were basically a lower of the table side coming to Anfield whereas they were more open against Bournemouth. One of them where we couldn't break them down

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Calm down we made our big rivals turn up to Anfield with the courage of a league 2 side desperate to just not lose. It’s remarkable we’re in the title race after last season and so many massive changes.

Next week is more important.

Can’t tell me to calm down after that performance against the worst Utd team that’s visited Anfield in the last decade. We were atrocious, no doubt about it. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Dan said:

It's the inconsistency. You could forgive that if they were clamping down on it but that just reeks of trying to create a talking point for the sake of it.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I understand the question to be fair. At what point does a single offence for dissent become bad enough to be worth two?

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

My thoughts as well. I think that’s an absurd red card, honestly. And I fucking hate Man Utd.

Come on lads. It's not an issue for the sake of it. It's quite obvious what's happened here.

Dalot was fuming and visibly showed it towards the ref. One yellow.

Referee shows a yellow for that dissent.

Dalot shows more of the same kind of dissent. Therefore, second yellow for the repeated offence.

If anything, it is consistent.

Not everything a referee does has to be a talking point. Referee is literally just doing his job.

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

United showed absolutely no ambition there but the plan worked to near perfection to be fair.

It's probably not the case but that Liverpool performance almost came across as if they themselves believed it was going to be a case of how many they'd win by. It was as if they turned up expecting Man Utd to crumble and then when they hadn't scored within the first 30 minutes they didn't actually know what to do.

I don't think that's the case but I think they thought if we get one then they'd crumble 

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Can’t tell me to calm down after that performance against the worst Utd team that’s visited Anfield in the last decade. We were atrocious, no doubt about it. 

Calm down. It's the worst United team but that's why they turned up played how they did. You need to stop being so over the top with a bad result, chill

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rick said:

We were shit but that’s not even close to the worst Liverpool performance I’ve seen this year.

A side in bad form, with a manager under pressure, and several injuries, is going to turn up to their rivals compact and to defend. Especially if the last time they came around they got humiliated.

But we’ve also not been in the best form in the past few weeks, imo that Palace match was a miserable performance. The Fulham match was inconsistent. That we struggled against a side set up to make it hard for us to score doesn’t surprise me.

Next week is more important because Arsenal will actually look to play.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Come on lads. It's not an issue for the sake of it. It's quite obvious what's happened here.

Dalot was fuming and visibly showed it towards the ref. One yellow.

Referee shows a yellow for that dissent.

Dalot shows more of the same kind of dissent. Therefore, second yellow for the repeated offence.

If anything, it is consistent.

Not everything a referee does has to be a talking point. Referee is literally just doing his job.

If he's told the referee to go and fuck himself then he should get a straight red. If he's just bitching and arguing at the referee then it's a yellow card. If he doesn't stop after the first booking then yeah it's another yellow card but you've got to give some sort of cool down time in between. He's given him about 5 seconds if that to calm down and then resorted to the second yellow. If it was consistent you'd see players paying the price for that every weekend and I can never recall seeing that before.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

If he's told the referee to go and fuck himself then he should get a straight red. If he's just bitching and arguing at the referee then it's a yellow card. If he doesn't stop after the first booking then yeah it's another yellow card but you've got to give some sort of cool down time in between. He's given him about 5 seconds if that to calm down and then resorted to the second yellow. If it was consistent you'd see players paying the price for that every weekend and I can never recall seeing that before.

Yeah I was gonna say, how do you give someone a few seconds to just calm down? He’s clearly pissed off, give him the yellow and let it register and let him cool off for a bit.

It’s an absurd to give a second yellow that quick after the first. They’re humans, not robots - just like refs.

2 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Not sure Liverpool can use the excuse of not being title caliber, only Mane has gone since the dominant team while Mac Allister, Gravenberch and Szoboszalai are all massive upgrades on Henderson, Fabinho and Thiago

It’s a whole new midfield and signings need time to settle. I think it’s remarkable we’ve gone off the back of last season which was shit, basically bring in a whole new midfield, and be legitimately in the title race.

I think just being better than last season was the ultimate goal here, it’s not realistic we win a title with an all new midfield.

1 minute ago, Rick said:

@LFCMike @Dr. Gonzo

Sorry lads, but we’ve all laughed at how awful Utd have been this season. They come to Anfield and play shit, yet walk away with a point. It was dreadful by Liverpool to not win that game. 

It’s understandable to be pissed off, I am too that was a bad performance and 2 points dropped.

But considering that’s a bad performance and we were hardly threatened by our biggest rivals, that also easily could have gone worse.

It’s still a long season left and at this point I think if you told us this is where we’d be on the league table today after the first match of the season… we’d all be taking that.

If the first half of the season is any indication this is a wide open title race. I still think City are favourites, they are the only team I can see going on an insane run that just pulls them way ahead. Just enjoy the ride and see what this team can do.

I suspect if we avoid too many bad injuries, we end up looking stronger late on in the season when the midfield is more settled.

6 minutes ago, Rick said:

@LFCMike @Dr. Gonzo

Sorry lads, but we’ve all laughed at how awful Utd have been this season. They come to Anfield and play shit, yet walk away with a point. It was dreadful by Liverpool to not win that game. 

Like I said, they've turned up like a bottom half of the table team so it's no different to a draw at home to one one of those sides. It feels worse because it's them. We weren't great but we did have 30-odd shots and should have won it

It feels much worse because everyone built it up that is was gonna be Liverpool thrashing United, even their own fans. Football doesn't always work out like that though. If Bournemouth had come here and played like that and got a 0-0 it wouldn't feel anywhere near as bad

• Upvote 1

This reaction from Villa is so fucking stupid. If somebody has said something criminal to Watkins then openly state that. No one is none the wiser, fans near the part of the ground where the individual he shushed sits don’t know what’s happened and now Villa have released the world’s vaguest statement asking for a fan to be investigated. For what??

https://x.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1736445331867328877?s=20