• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tap Water

football forum

Water - Tap/Other  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What is your choice?

• Subscriber

I don't drink tap water or rarely do and prefer boiling my water first (kettle) then bottling it or drink mineral water instead, it's just that I don't trust the way they filter whatever you drink. :coffee:

I will do a Tommy saying...

Discuss.

Edit: Just realised I ticked tap water as my choice but I meant mineral water :dam:

• Subscriber

UK tap water

If the kitchen sink tends to be your regular watering hole, you’re in safe hands. British tap water is said to be one of the best water supplies in the world, with a quality rating of 99.96% according to Discover Water. This quality is regularly monitored by the Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI) to ensure our water is both clean and safe to drink. During these regulations, the DWI search for things such as E.coli and other bacteria across reservoirs in the UK, access the full report here.

Best UK regions for tap water

While tap water across the UK is safe to drink, quality may differ by region. For example, a 2020 taste test from a survey by Tapp Water. Its findings revealed that the top 5 UK regions for water, based on participant's opinions, were:

• Scotland
  • South West (Bristol)
  • Yorkshire and the Humber (Leeds)
  • Northern Ireland (Belfast)
  • Wales (Cardiff)

It also revealed the 5 worst places across the UK for tap water taste. Which all happened to be areas with ‘hard’ water, these were:

• East of England (Norwich)
  • East Midlands (Leicester)
  • South East (Southampton)
  • Greater London (London)
  • West Midlands (Birmingham)

https://www.brita.co.uk/news-stories/dispenser/is-tap-water-safe-to-drink-uk

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

it's just that I don't trust the way they filter whatever you drink.

What do you think they do to it?

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Stan said:

What do you think they do to it?

Wouldn't have a clue? I have never really touched tap water either here in the UK or anywhere else and always buy bottled water, our son & daughter use tap water up here and say there is nothing wrong with it but everybody have their own choices.

I have heard people say "I would never touch tap water..." and when I asked them why they did not give me an answer, just that they wouldn't.

Do you drink tap water or other ? :D

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Sparkling mineral water. 

Yeah, that's what I prefer too, in all seriousness.

I used to drink tap water when I lived in some places where it's safe to do it, in some other places it is safe but tastes bad, in some places it is not safe at all, etc. So basically it depends on the location, but these days, I mostly stick to sparkling water. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

Wouldn't have a clue? I have never really touched tap water either here in the UK or anywhere else and always buy bottled water, our son & daughter use tap water up here and say there is nothing wrong with it but everybody have their own choices.

I have heard people say "I would never touch tap water..." and when I asked them why they did not give me an answer, just that they wouldn't.

Do you drink tap water or other ? :D

Yeah but what makes you not trust it?

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Yeah but what makes you not trust it?

There are a lot of things nowadays that the government deem as safe but a lot of the time they are just talking a load of shite, the best tap water I have ever tasted was when we were living with the wifes big sis here in Scotland, Gorebridge, way in the country, a farm.

The  water came straight from a spring and it was cold and just tasted beautiful as if you were drinking cold mineral water straight from the fridge, nowadays the tap water here in Edinburgh isn't to bad but I just don't like tap water.

We live near the Seafield Waste Water Treatment Works and there has been a load of complaints about the smell coming from that direction depending on which way the wind blows and that kind of puts me off drinking tap water, if they can't get rid of a smell then they might not be able to get rid of any bugs that enter the water, I worked there too and there were gulls, crows, pigeons everywhere scavenging for whatever.

Leith residents complain about stench from Edinburgh's Seafield Waste Water Treatment

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Have been London a couple of times but was a day thing, each visit. People who've gone there from Manchester said the tap water in London is disgusting.

Water tastes do differ from each region.

We have very hard water in Bedford. Each time I go to Leicester it tastes totally different, think it's softer there.

• Upvote 1

I've always drunk bottled mineral water as an adult. Although as a child we drunk filtered tap water or even tap water which we didn't filter. Most of my friends and family drink tap water, but I always buy mineral water, again because I don't fully trust the cleanliness of the tap water as it can get contaminated at times. Although the water is treated, on occasion rust can mix with the water or particles can be found in the water when works are being done on the water supplies. Moreover, our water is treated with Chlorine to kill the harmful bacteria and Limescale can also be found in our tap water. Potential substances in our tap water could also include lead, microplastics, drugs, synthetic hormones and harmful bacteria.

For these reasons, I prefer to play safe and drink bottled mineral water. Although bottled mineral water does contain microplastics. So it's almost impossible to get extremely pure and clean water unless you drink your water from a natural spring every day. In my opinion, the best solution is to filter your bottled mineral water. That will at least make the water you drink quite pure and clean. Filtering the water will at the very least get rid of most of the microplastics in the bottled mineral water.

• Subscriber

The wife likes drinking soda water too, lately it's been Schweppes but she still drinks more of the Elm Spring water.

26 minutes ago, Michael said:

So it's almost impossible to get extremely pure and clean water unless you drink your water from a natural spring every day.

As mentioned in my opening post, when we stayed with wifes sister on a farm the tap water came straight from an underground spring and it was always cold and tasted lovely.

45 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

The wife likes drinking soda water too, lately it's been Schweppes but she still drinks more of the Elm Spring water.

As mentioned in my opening post, when we stayed with wifes sister on a farm the tap water came straight from an underground spring and it was always cold and tasted lovely.

Yeah, nothing beats fresh spring water. 

Europeans have their drinking water held at ransom by Perrier and Pellegrino. They can't get safe water to their people but those companies can ship natural spring water world wide.

I guess I was lucky to grow up with water tapped from the world's largest underground reservoir.