talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Champions League Round of 16 - 5-13th March, 2024 (2nd Legs)

• Administrator

225px-UEFA_Champions_League.svg.png

all kick-offs 20.00 (GMT)

(first leg scores in brackets)

Tuesday 5th March, 2024
Bayern Munich (0) vs (1) Lazio
Real Sociedad (0) vs (2) PSG

Wednesday 6th March, 2024
Man City (3) vs (1) Copenhagen
Real Madrid (1) vs (0) RB Leipzig

Tuesday 12th March, 2024
Barcelona (1) vs (1) Napoli
Arsenal (0) vs (1) Porto

Wednesday 13th March, 2024
Atletico Madrid (0) vs (1) Inter Milan
Borussia Dortmund (1) vs (1) PSV Eindhoven

• The title was changed to Champions League Round of 16 - 5-13th March, 2024 (2nd Legs)
45 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Dier starting over Kim is a fucking travesty but the rest looks fine. Off I got to avoid spoilers and watch it later...

I was thinking the exact same thing. You have to play your best possible starting 11 in these kind of Champions League matches. Hopefully Bayern secure the win and advance. But I think this will be a tricky match today for Bayern, even though they are the better side on paper. The Italians are generally excellent at defending 1st leg leads.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Mel81x said:

What a goal by De Ligt. Goal of the tournament contender for sure.

NVM Mueller turned it in. 

Yeah that looked like a worldie from De Ligt on first play... which hes done a few of. Just typical Müller though in the end :)

Solid performance overall anyways not much to complain about but lets see if we can get some momentum from this.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Yeah that looked like a worldie from De Ligt on first play... which hes done a few of. Just typical Müller though in the end :)

Solid performance overall anyways not much to complain about but lets see if we can get some momentum from this.

You'll have returning players and its certainly going to help. However, you have to also take into account that once Lazio got undone, they really didn't change or try anything tactically different except just being direct and when that failed, they kept on repeating the same thing over and over again. It's a bit weird because you'd imagine being 2 goals down, you'd kick into gear and at least push harder but they just couldn't. I don't remember you'll being bothered too much in the game either.

It really could have been a much higher score but once the third goal went in Bayern didn't care too much and tried to play it all around Lazio instead of at the goal. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Mel81x said:

You'll have returning players and its certainly going to help. However, you have to also take into account that once Lazio got undone, they really didn't change or try anything tactically different except just being direct and when that failed, they kept on repeating the same thing over and over again. It's a bit weird because you'd imagine being 2 goals down, you'd kick into gear and at least push harder but they just couldn't. I don't remember you'll being bothered too much in the game either.

It really could have been a much higher score but once the third goal went in Bayern didn't care too much and tried to play it all around Lazio instead of at the goal. 

Agreed. I dont remember Neuer having to make a save. There was the one header Immobile had that was a pretty decent half chance he put wide off a De Ligt header I think? Even still these are the kind of matches we havent looked interested in for a few weeks now so Ill take it. 

As much as I've loved the revelation of Pavlovic its a different task to have him go up against City or Madrid let alone some of the other teams. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Agreed. I dont remember Neuer having to make a save. There was the one header Immobile had that was a pretty decent half chance he put wide off a De Ligt header I think? Even still these are the kind of matches we havent looked interested in for a few weeks now so Ill take it. 

As much as I've loved the revelation of Pavlovic its a different task to have him go up against City or Madrid let alone some of the other teams. 

I wouldn't worry too much about Madrid even though they are strong. With the attacking players you'll have there is a high chance you can upset them. 

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I wouldn't worry too much about Madrid even though they are strong. With the attacking players you'll have there is a high chance you can upset them. 

Funny enough I watched the RB Madrid match last night and I kinda feel better xD 

• Like 1

Fairplay to Porto. Made it difficult for us to really get going in both legs. Impressive performances from players I didn't know much about. Wendell, Varela, João Mario, & Otavio look like solid young players that will only get better. And the bastard himself, Pepe, was great in both legs. The other Pepe looked decent as well.

Great goal from us to level the tie. And while the whole tie was even, the shootout really went our way thanks to good penalties from us but especially thanks to Raya saving 2.

On to the next round!

I know Porto will get plaudits for being so defensively sound tonight, as they were in the 1st leg, and they gave themselves the best shot to get through.

But thank fuck they are out.

You don't really want to be watching defensive games in the latter stages of an elite competition. 

Got a really funny feeling Arsenal will draw Man City.

• Subscriber

I don't think Porto played badly at all. If anything they probably edged it over 210 minutes. They did a lot better than I thought they would anyway.

They limited Arsenal to very little. I didn't perceive that as park the bus and hope for the best.

How is Pepe still doing that at his age? I couldn't believe it when they said he was 41. I thought he was about 37.

Obviously, I want Arsenal to crash and burn at the final stages, but need them to stay in this competition for as long as possible so that it can hopefully affect their league performance. 

Glad to see Porto out. As a neutral they are a shit watch. Like Lucas said, it’s no fun having defensive sides at this stage in the competition. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Obviously, I want Arsenal to crash and burn at the final stages, but need them to stay in this competition for as long as possible so that it can hopefully affect their league performance. 

Glad to see Porto out. As a neutral they are a shit watch. Like Lucas said, it’s no fun having defensive sides at this stage in the competition. 

Hopefully Arsenal and City draw each other in the quarters

Posted in the wrong topic, but great to see Raya proving why he is night and day ahead of Ramsdale and #3 in the league.

Personally I like Porto’s style. I thought they were aggressive, made life difficult for Arsenal and created a great spectacle. Just like boxing styles make fights, I want to see sides like Porto and Atleti go up against your Arsenal’s, City’s etc.

Arsenal done well to go through but I think they’ll struggle against City, Inter or Real.

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, Danny said:

Posted in the wrong topic, but great to see Raya proving why he is night and day ahead of Ramsdale and #3 in the league.

Personally I like Porto’s style. I thought they were aggressive, made life difficult for Arsenal and created a great spectacle. Just like boxing styles make fights, I want to see sides like Porto and Atleti go up against your Arsenal’s, City’s etc.

Arsenal done well to go through but I think they’ll struggle against City, Inter or Real.

And Bayern. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Danny said:

Bit hit and miss no? They have an easily more talented team but their season hasn't been great.

Hmm, I think they're still pretty strong overall. Think they'd beat Arsenal over 2 legs. 

58 minutes ago, Stan said:

Hmm, I think they're still pretty strong overall. Think they'd beat Arsenal over 2 legs. 

Yeah I don't think Bayern are that much worse off where they normally would be in terms of points in the league this season are they? Only a ridiculous run of from from Leverkusen sees them well off the pace at the top

• The topic was unpinned