talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Seen this stat: 

Getafe, who currently sit 3rd in La Liga, have a pass accuracy of 61.7% in the league. 6.9% worse than the second worst passing team in Europe's top 5 leagues

that’s worse than Burnley. Are they shithousing their way into the CL?

Yeah, they play the most negative football in the world, although when you have as little money as them you can't really hold it against them, especially since it's working! They are only a small club and have 2 massive clubs in their city to contend with in Real and Atletico.

I've got to say though that Sevilla, Atletico, Valencia & Real Sociedad shouldn't have any excuses in being below them as they are all significantly better sides who need to be more consistent! Sevilla seem to seriously fight for the title but then fade in january and have for a couple of years now. It makes you wonder if, in the next few years, they can go further and actually challenge for a full season.

Edited by Carnivore Chris
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Terrible season all-round, even worse than last season(which is saying slot), the talent just isn't there anymore. 95% of the clubs just sell everything good they have and the ones who don't sell their best, waste money on absolute garbage. The level of football quality is also horrendously bad and it's gone from a league full of attacking talent and excitement to one full of teams playing defensive football as they don't have the quality.

I suppose most leagues are now in this position though as the Bundesliga and the Serie A are both awful aswell(the Bundesliga has alot of young talents, but they are just being warmed up, nothing more) and the less said about the French league, the better.

Hopefully La Liga regains its former glory, although I can just see it getting worse and worse from here on in.

Edited by Carnivore Chris

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Terrible season all-round, even worse than last season(which is saying slot), the talent just isn't there anymore. 95% of the clubs just sell everything good they have and the ones who don't sell their best, waste money on absolute garbage. The level of football quality is also horrendously bad and it's gone from a league full of attacking talent and excitement to one full of teams playing defensive football as they don't have the quality.

I suppose most leagues are now in this position though as the Bundesliga and the Serie A are both awful aswell(the Bundesliga has alot of young talents, but they are just being warmed up, nothing more) and the less said about the French league, the better.

Hopefully La Liga regains its former glory, although I can just see it getting worse and worse from here on in.

It's a general cycle, no. Spain were in the peak of their golden period around 10 years ago. 

I don't think Bundesliga is that awful either. Think it needs a bit more credit than to be lumped in with Serie A which has been below-par for several years now. With Atalanta, Inter & Lazio pushing Juve much closer this year hopefully that's a sign of things to come.

15 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

La Liga’s decade long domination coincided with 3 key moments though, the crop of Spaniards that helped contribute to some of the greatest club and international sides ever to exist, and then Messi and Ronaldo.

I think the only way England dominates again is with a fit and firing Man Utd, cos Liverpool’s finances aren’t guaranteed and for what they’ve spent Chelsea and City have both under achieved in Europe. With United in the mix it means Chelsea or City can have a shit season and there’s still 2-3 top English sides

Edited by Danny

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

It's a general cycle, no. Spain were in the peak of their golden period around 10 years ago. 

I don't think Bundesliga is that awful either. Think it needs a bit more credit than to be lumped in with Serie A which has been below-par for several years now. With Atalanta, Inter & Lazio pushing Juve much closer this year hopefully that's a sign of things to come.

Yeah but Juve are nothing special either. Full of old players. That's why teams are catching them up for me.

It's not just a cycle either as these leagues are dying because the Premier League has become pretty much a Super League. The sport will never be the same again and it's not a cycle. We've never seen this before and unless half of the teams in these leagues sell their clubs to rich Russians, Americans, Arabs, Chinese, etc then they will never compete again as they just have all their players taken off them every year, while Premier league clubs(and a handful of clubs from these other leagues) price everyone out, while picking up steals from every other league because of clauses.

Covid will also ruin some clubs, including some big ones.

But honestly the quality in La Liga over the past few years has been dreadful and it will only get worse as you could see it coming for several years. VAR has killed it aswell. Introducing that nonsense was well and truly the final nail in the coffin and I was personally never in favour of it ever coming into play. It doesn't suit football and never will however it is or isn't implemented. 

The Bundesliga has alot of top young talent but they aren't the future of German football, unless they go to Bayern, if we are honest. Besides alot of young players look much better there than when they leave. 

35 minutes ago, Danny said:

La Liga’s decade long domination coincided with 3 key moments though, the crop of Spaniards that helped contribute to some of the greatest club and international sides ever to exist, and then Messi and Ronaldo.

I think the only way England dominates again is with a fit and firing Man Utd, cos Liverpool’s finances aren’t guaranteed and for what they’ve spent Chelsea and City have both under achieved in Europe. With United in the mix it means Chelsea or City can have a shit season and there’s still 2-3 top English sides

Personally I don't think football is that great as whole right now. It's too much about money to ever be great again.

Obviously money has played a part for years, in fact decades, but it's become silly now. 

I'd also say it was going through a transition period aswell.

Also as I mentioned, unless they get rid of VAR, the sport will never be the same again unfortunately. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Fixtures released yesterday for season beginning on 12th Sept.

El Clasico's are on 25th October and 11th April.

Madrid Derby is on 13th Dec and 7th March.

Valencia vs Levante is a derby as well to kick-off the season. Atletico Madrid vs Sevilla is probably the other highlight for the opening weekend!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

For the fans in the US, ESPN has just announced broadcasting rights for La Liga Primera and Segunda for the next several years.  Every Primera league match will be shown on ESPN+.  Great news for those of us who could give a fuck less about watching Barcelona and the Madrids every week.  Starts in August 2021.

• 2 months later...

ESPN+ broadcasting schedule was announced for La Liga.  All matches shown live and on-demand.  Probably going to follow Valencia this season.  Love that area of the country and would love to see that club back amongst the elite.  

• 2 months later...

Can anyone tell me why the El Clasico tickets at Camp Nou for 24/10/21 are much cheaper

than those for 20/03/22 at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium.

Apologies if that's an ignorant question, trying to get tickets for my son who's the football fan in the family.

Thanks very much.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Watching Valencia regularly this season and they have become a total hoofball team under Bordalas.  No surprise I guess considering his tactics at Getafe, but wow.  There is some real talent in that squad and it's being wasted.  They had a 6-match unbeaten run snapped this past weekend but that's not saying much... I think it was 2 wins and 4 draws.  Their tactics are reduced to getting the ball to Guedes or Soler and hoping for a penalty.  There are no center forwards of any consequence to even hoof it to.  I doubt Guedes will be there next season... to much class to play in that style.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
19 hours ago, Spike said:

How the absolute fuck did PSG buy Carlos Soler for so cheap?

Because the management at Valencia is so bad and they were desperate for cash to balance the books.  

Some of this is on Soler as well.  He was angling for the move once he found out PSG were interested.  He didn't play this past weekend, unused sub.  I hope he enjoys rotting on the bench at PSG.

Speaking of Valencia, hopefully a revival on the pitch for them after that utter destruction of Getafe on Sunday.  Last season they'd have gone up 1-0 and then conceded a late equalizer under Bordalas.  I'm not convinced by Gattuso but at least he has them playing attractive football again and the squad seems to be trimmed down to players that a) want to be there, and b) give a damn.  Toni Lato scoring that worldie and then pointing to the badge and making a signature motion (just signed an extension) got the crowd going.  Musah put in a hell of a shift as well.  That's the loudest I've heard the home crowd in a long time.