talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Euro 2024 - Your favourites to win?

Easy thread, who do you think will win the Euros? Who will be in with a shout?

Favourites:

France. Has to be France. This group of players have won a World Cup and made two major finals together, with players like Mbappe, Dembele, Griezmann, Tchouameni, Camavinga, Saliba, Konate, Kounde, Hernandez....honestly the list feels like it could go on, just a team stacked with talent but one that is topped off with arguably the best player in the world, certainly the most explosive and game changing when need be. Clear favourites imo.

Then I would say there are 4 nations who will all have genuine hopes of winning the competition.

Croatia. It just feels difficult to attempt to write them off. It's an ageing team, Modric isn't the star man at Madrid this season that he was last season, it could go understandably sideways for them. But this is a team that knows it's style, knows how to play against perceived better opposition. They strangle the ball, suffocate possession, break up teams momentum, work hard for each other and their defensive nature works well in a tournament format. It would be a serious achievement if they win this, and part of me hopes they do, but they certainly have a mix right now of experienced players that have been here for multiple tournaments and newer talented players who are entering the fray. I imagine after this tournament a lot of that old guard will slowly break up.

Portugal. I think a bit of a darkhorse here, they shouldn't be with the talent they have but not many people are talking about them. If they play to Ronaldo's strength there is a chance he can do for Portugal what Messi done for Argentina. But outside of Ronaldo you have Bernardo Silva who operates on a different stratosphere to most players, Diogo Jota who always turns up for Liverpool, Rafa Leao, Ramos, Vitinha, Nunes, Fernandes, Paulinha, Cancelo, Dias, Pepe. Such a strong team, their midfield isn't necesarily as strong as some others but their defence and forward line is pretty phenomenal and they still do have a lot of quality in midfield anyway. I don't feel comfortable going up against them as an England fan.

England. I'm always hesitant about making England a favourite, I don't see it with Southgate but also I think when we hype our own players (or atleast when the likes of Merson etc do), we can forget that other nations have serious talent too. But this is probably as good an England squad as I've seen in my life, not the best first eleven, but a great squad. Kane is in the form of his life carrying Bayern, Bellingham has stepped up for Madrid in Zidane's #5, Foden is finally City's star midfielder, Rice has been doing a great job at the donkey work West Ham and Arsenal have needed him to do which can free players pushing forward. Walker is still arguably the best right back in the world, Stones has been integral to a City treble winning team. There's a lot of talent in this team. I don't think we have to win the competition to view it as a success, but I do think we have to finally beat one of the more dominant nations otherwise it's hard to see how Southgate stays on after. To win you have to overachieve at times, win when it's difficult and not just when it's easy.

Netherlands. Their strength in defence is pretty scary, and tbh it plays into their hands at this type of tournament as strong defences generally win. To have Van Dijk, Ake, Van de Ven, De Ligt, De Vrij, Botman, Dumfries, Frimpong, De Jong is a pretty intense job. Then you have some talent like Simons, Gravenberch, Gakpo, Depay and Malen. I think they could really upset teams by defending well and hitting them on the counter. Plus with Van Dijk back to his best form, he could be the man who leads the Netherlands to victory.

For me the clear favourite is France. They just simply have the best player in the world, Mbappe & very, very good players in all positions. I think certain media & social people are getting a little carried away with Kane, Bellingham & Foden, in particular, meaning England must win. Its much more that England can win. They are probably 2nd favourites. Over the last 30 years or so, dominant sides have been Germany, Brazil & Spain. This France side could beat all those eras.

After France & England, I really think Germany at home will find a way to rise. Perhaps as England did in 2018, heading in with very low expectations. If it's not Germany, and France somehow get knocked out by a Switzerland on penalties & England do an England, it feels to me that it could be anyone. We could be looking at a Denmark 92 or Greece 2004 winning it.

But I think the smart money has to be on France cementing a truly great era, or England finally putting a trophy in a cabinet room.

Edited by Reluctant Striker

52 minutes ago, Danny said:

Easy thread, who do you think will win the Euros? Who will be in with a shout?

Favourites:

France. Has to be France. This group of players have won a World Cup and made two major finals together, with players like Mbappe, Dembele, Griezmann, Tchouameni, Camavinga, Saliba, Konate, Kounde, Hernandez....honestly the list feels like it could go on, just a team stacked with talent but one that is topped off with arguably the best player in the world, certainly the most explosive and game changing when need be. Clear favourites imo.

Then I would say there are 4 nations who will all have genuine hopes of winning the competition.

Croatia. It just feels difficult to attempt to write them off. It's an ageing team, Modric isn't the star man at Madrid this season that he was last season, it could go understandably sideways for them. But this is a team that knows it's style, knows how to play against perceived better opposition. They strangle the ball, suffocate possession, break up teams momentum, work hard for each other and their defensive nature works well in a tournament format. It would be a serious achievement if they win this, and part of me hopes they do, but they certainly have a mix right now of experienced players that have been here for multiple tournaments and newer talented players who are entering the fray. I imagine after this tournament a lot of that old guard will slowly break up.

Portugal. I think a bit of a darkhorse here, they shouldn't be with the talent they have but not many people are talking about them. If they play to Ronaldo's strength there is a chance he can do for Portugal what Messi done for Argentina. But outside of Ronaldo you have Bernardo Silva who operates on a different stratosphere to most players, Diogo Jota who always turns up for Liverpool, Rafa Leao, Ramos, Vitinha, Nunes, Fernandes, Paulinha, Cancelo, Dias, Pepe. Such a strong team, their midfield isn't necesarily as strong as some others but their defence and forward line is pretty phenomenal and they still do have a lot of quality in midfield anyway. I don't feel comfortable going up against them as an England fan.

England. I'm always hesitant about making England a favourite, I don't see it with Southgate but also I think when we hype our own players (or atleast when the likes of Merson etc do), we can forget that other nations have serious talent too. But this is probably as good an England squad as I've seen in my life, not the best first eleven, but a great squad. Kane is in the form of his life carrying Bayern, Bellingham has stepped up for Madrid in Zidane's #5, Foden is finally City's star midfielder, Rice has been doing a great job at the donkey work West Ham and Arsenal have needed him to do which can free players pushing forward. Walker is still arguably the best right back in the world, Stones has been integral to a City treble winning team. There's a lot of talent in this team. I don't think we have to win the competition to view it as a success, but I do think we have to finally beat one of the more dominant nations otherwise it's hard to see how Southgate stays on after. To win you have to overachieve at times, win when it's difficult and not just when it's easy.

Netherlands. Their strength in defence is pretty scary, and tbh it plays into their hands at this type of tournament as strong defences generally win. To have Van Dijk, Ake, Van de Ven, De Ligt, De Vrij, Botman, Dumfries, Frimpong, De Jong is a pretty intense job. Then you have some talent like Simons, Gravenberch, Gakpo, Depay and Malen. I think they could really upset teams by defending well and hitting them on the counter. Plus with Van Dijk back to his best form, he could be the man who leads the Netherlands to victory.

England and France have to be the obvious clear favourites, but after them, there are a whole host of countries that could potentially win it. You didn't list Spain, a team who have a great chance of winning it. You can also never rule Germany out, despite their very poor recent form. Talent wise, Germany have the players who could be a real threat at the tournament, if their manager actually finds the right formula and tactics, especially as they have home advantage. You didn't even mention Belgium, another team who arguably have a better chance of winning it than their neighbours the Netherlands who you listed. You also list Croatia(They lost to both Turkey and Wales in competitive matches recently), I'd say Ukraine's team is better than theirs now, player for player. Where is Italy or even Denmark? These are all teams in with a realistic shout of winning it, to varying degrees.

The rest of the teams will also be very tough to play against and many have some serious talent to really cause surprises. There are a lot of tough teams at these Euros, which will make watching this competition all the more enjoyable. I have to say though, with the quality that this England team has, this is the best chance we have of winning a major competition in years. Bellingham is now at his peak and with the rest of the talent around him, England could put in some really impressive displays at these Euros.

Edited by Michael

• Administrator

France favourites. 

Then England but I'm just never 100% sure they can go the whole hog. 

Portugal have decent talent as well but I wonder if Martinez is good enough to lead them all the way. 

• Subscriber

Germany getting ridiculously overlooked here for me. They have gone through a very bad spell but I think with tournaments that isn't always necessarily relevant and it's more about hitting your stride when it arrives, and that win at the weekend is a sign that they may be about to.

I'm gonna say Germany just because you can never rule them out of winning something. It's got to be them or France.

I expect England to be decent up until a knockout match against a very good side and then they'll look turgid and shite and get knocked out.

Oh yeah, all the Germany come lately’s saying theyre going to win it after spanking France in a friendly. Where were your predictions beforehand when they were rubbish?

Predictions not counted :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Oh yeah, all the Germany come lately’s saying theyre going to win it after spanking France in a friendly. Where were your predictions beforehand when they were rubbish?

Still expect Germany to go out in the round of 16 or the quarters. My outsider tip would be Croatia.

12 hours ago, Danny said:

I mentioned Germany as a team that can't be ruled out in terms of winning the actual tournament, before the friendly match with France. 😉

Although there are teams such as England and France who are the strong clear favourites to win these Euros, the likes of Germany and several other teams, have a decent chance of winning it themselves, given the abundance of talent a lot of these sides have.

Edited by Michael

• Subscriber

Croatia seem to be getting more love than usual going into a tournament. Often overlooked but very rarely have a bad tournament. So it feels like with this being acknowledged more this time around they will probably flunk it.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Croatia seem to be getting more love than usual going into a tournament. Often overlooked but very rarely have a bad tournament. So it feels like with this being acknowledged more this time around they will probably flunk it.

In fairness they went out to Spain in the first KO round at the last Euros and lost to England in the groups, so there is every chance they might do something similar again. Not to mention how much their team has aged too.

But I do think it'd be crazy to rule them out for what they've done at two successive World Cup's

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, Danny said:

In fairness they went out to Spain in the first KO round at the last Euros and lost to England in the groups, so there is every chance they might do something similar again. Not to mention how much their team has aged too.

But I do think it'd be crazy to rule them out for what they've done at two successive World Cup's

I put money on them about a year ago at 25/1 so I agree. They go too far in tournaments too often to not be in the discussion at this point.

xD now 40/1 on 365 so that wasn't as good as it sounded. I dispute them being a bigger price than someone like Denmark - who for me have become vastly overrated.

32 minutes ago, Danny said:

They are not an aged team, they only have 3 players of the regulars who are in their 30's namely Modric, Kramaric and Brozovic. The rest of the regulars are in their 20's, most in their mid-20's. They have some very good players and they will certainly be tough for most opposition, but there are many other teams at this tournament who are at a similar standard to Croatia. So I just think they are one of many teams who look good and have good players. 

It's just too obvious to say France although they clearly have every base covered. Let's be honest, if they play to their standard, they probably do win.

I know it's all about Mbappe but Griezmann in that little pocket behind the main forward is still unreal, he makes them tick if he's fit as it all goes through him.

But I do really feel like Portugal might do it.

They have a lovely group. Turkey, Czech's and then either Georgia or Greece. They should come through that fine. And their path to the semi's look pretty good too.

Crucially, they should avoid France/England till the final as long as nothibg silly happens.

They have a very well-rounded team with a great blend of youth and experience. They can be attacking when needed, but also able to shithouse when required. If you fall behind against them, last thing you want is to be chasing the game with Bernado, Bruno, Paulinha, Pepe, Cancelo etc

And of course, they have Ronaldo who if he gets a chance, you expect him to still be clinical.

Rafael Leao will be one to watch for me too. This summer feels like it could be his real breakout tournament.

At 8/1, that's where my money would go anyway. France are too short.

Germany will have a decent run purely as they are on home soil. Their team was quite weak in the 2006 World Cup and they weren't really predicted to go as far as they did, but they got to the semi's under Klinsmann and it was a new age for their up and coming players. Can see something similar happening but they won't win it for me.

We will naturally find a way to lose it. As good a team as it looks on paper, I just don't think Southgate has the nous to get us over the line. Psychologically, I don't know if we have ever developed that ruthless winning mentality you need and we still get rattled by gamesmanship from other sides who will 100% target us in that department.

I'm still a little worried about us defensively too. I don't fully trust Pickford, Maguire etc, I'm worried about the left back situation as it looks vulnerable but any alternatives just haven't established themselves yet have they. They do a job for us for sure but at a winning tournament level, I still think they fall short.

Edited by Lucas

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

If Portugal just shoe horn Ronaldo at ST for the sake of it they may as well kiss their chances goodbye. 

From what I’ve gathered from Portugal supporters is that Martinez has found a way to get the team working around him, whereas the previous coach never tried to