talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 37 - 11-15th May, 2024

Any Spurs supporter who wants their team to roll over for City when the top four is still to play for is a fucking idiot. 

Tonight is either an absolute arse beating for Spurs, or they nick a jammy win.

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, Rick said:

If you beat City you’re a point off 4th going into the last game. Don’t roll over just yet. 

Villa have palace away on the last day, they could have fucked this if Spurs do something big tomorrow night. 

We don’t care about fourth. We aren’t good enough for CL anyway, we’ve been there done that. City are far too good for us regardless

Hope they smash us 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

City till July? :4_joy: funny as fuck if all your fans start singing that tonight lol

I’m there tonight and I’ll be cheering you on. Loving my annual spell as City fan in the spring. 

That 1 point for Villa, from 1-3, with nightmare defending, right now has been taken as a massive point gained. Spurs now have to beat Man City to keep 4th possible. Even if Spurs take 6 points from 6, things will still be in Villa's hands. To just avoid defeat. But would be great if Palace (a) had no requirements on it.

Duran Duran just had to happen on a Monday night..

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

City till July? :4_joy: funny as fuck if all your fans start singing that tonight lol

Do you think your team is going to drop a game till the end now? I don't think so unless someone goes and rehashes that voodoo thread and then its anyones guess who will win the league.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

That 1 point for Villa, from 1-3, with nightmare defending, right now has been taken as a massive point gained. Spurs now have to beat Man City to keep 4th possible. Even if Spurs take 6 points from 6, things will still be in Villa's hands. To just avoid defeat. But would be great if Palace (a) had no requirements on it.

I honestly thought you'll started out shaky and got super resilient towards the end. I'd even argue that you'll could have been in the driver seat much earlier in the match with the way things were going. 

26 minutes ago, Storts said:

We don’t care about fourth. We aren’t good enough for CL anyway, we’ve been there done that. City are far too good for us regardless

Hope they smash us 

Bizarre. I think this is a common mentality amongst fans of clubs whose rivals are much bigger and more successful than them though

31 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I have a feeling Duran Duran was what everyone was waiting for.    

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Bizarre. I think this is a common mentality amongst fans of clubs whose rivals are much bigger and more successful than them though

It’s not bizarre in the slightest and you of all people should get it. If you winning a pretty meaningless end of season game meant Everton or Man United won the league there’s not a chance you’d want that to happen. 

Tribalism is one of the best things about football, without it it’s incredibly dull. 

8 minutes ago, Storts said:

It’s not bizarre in the slightest and you of all people should get it. If you winning a pretty meaningless end of season game meant Everton or Man United won the league there’s not a chance you’d want that to happen. 

Tribalism is one of the best things about football, without it it’s incredibly dull. 

But there is something to play for. Would you bet on Villa to beat a revived Palace? That’s a close bet, and you have Sheffield. 

Your team is about as good as Dortmund and look where they are. Plus, we know the CL makes you more attractive to better players. 

Fully agree on wanting to lose if it’s a dead rubber, but there’s a lot for spurs to play for here. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Rick said:

But there is something to play for. Would you bet on Villa to beat a revived Palace? That’s a close bet, and you have Sheffield. 

Your team is about as good as Dortmund and look where they are. Plus, we know the CL makes you more attractive to better players. 

Fully agree on wanting to lose if it’s a dead rubber, but there’s a lot for spurs to play for here. 

There really truly isn’t mate. Champions league does very little for us. I’d rather be in the europa and have a chance of winning it than struggle through a CL campaign.

I get it for Villa, they’ve never been there since it was the CL. But we have many times. It means I know our transfer strategy doesn’t change regardless of what competition we are in. We don’t need the cash as we have zero FFP concerns and ultimately we aren’t good enough to beat city anyway. If we’d cared that much they should have been up for the Newcastle and Chelsea games, not this one.

There is so little benefit to winning tonight, and the vast majority of our fan base would much rather lose it and have city win the league than put up with the most insufferable fan base in the world lauding over us with a title victory we helped achieve. It’s so simple 

37 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Do you think your team is going to drop a game till the end now? I don't think so unless someone goes and rehashes that voodoo thread and then its anyones guess who will win the league.

Anything can happen at Spurs away, Son always scores against us and we have never scored a premier league goal at the new stadium. this will be the title decider ...WHU will get slapped on the final day but means nothing if we don't win tonight

2 hours ago, Rick said:

Any Spurs supporter who wants their team to roll over for City when the top four is still to play for is a fucking idiot. 

Tonight is either an absolute arse beating for Spurs, or they nick a jammy win.

• Subscriber

I'd never actively support against Everton but City are so unpalatable, almost as much as Liverpool from my perspective, that if Spurs pull off a miracle tonight and Arsenal can win the league by beating us at the weekend, then sound. It makes no difference to our season and I'd much rather see someone else win the league other than City (except for the kopites).

Spurs do have something to play for. I'd personally take Liverpool winning the league if it was needed for us to get into the Champions League but Spurs don't need that as much as us. I am surprised that their fans seem so unanimous about it but I won't judge them for it. Perhaps they'd feel differently if the odds of them getting 4th weren't still quite tricky even if they won tonight.

If the roles were reversed than Arsenal fans would absolutely take a meaningless defeat to stop Spurs winning the league. Liverpool fans would as well if it stopped Man Utd or Everton winning the league. Anyone denying that is just an absolute liar I'm afraid. People going OMG I can't believe you care more about another team failing than your team succeeding is either doing so safe in the knowledge they'll never be put in that position themselves or just don't get rivalry in football. Spurs having a first knockout round run in the Champions League next season isn't worth it for their fans having to deal with Arsenal's boasting over winning the title.

Even if Spurs fans aren't supporting Spurs tonight, I certainly will be.

4 hours ago, Storts said:

I get this but...

4 hours ago, Storts said:

There really truly isn’t mate. Champions league does very little for us. I’d rather be in the europa and have a chance of winning it than struggle through a CL campaign.

1.) It's a cup tie and honestly you don't have to be anywhere near the best side in Europe (granted, being very good at football is helpful) to go on a good cup run, or even make the final. And if you make the final, anything can happen.

2.) CL European nights > Europa League European nights

3.) CL attracts better players, gives more money to participants... and more money also attracts better players. So being in the CL, and being able to get there with some degree of consistency, does set up a better platform for actually growing a team into something competitive.

In the long run, you're better off with a season in the CL imo. But I understand in the short term wanting to fuck over your biggest rivals.

Either way, I fucking hate Man City and everything they represent in football, so I am very much hoping Arsenal win the title and if that means Spurs sneak a win here that would be great. Honestly though, I don't think you've got a chance against City though.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, LFCMike said:

If Liverpool were playing Luton last night instead of Aston Villa and they could catch and relegate Everton by beating you then you'd have supported them 100%. This isn't even a matter of opinion. Going off the way you post about Everton on here you'd push your own Nan into the Mersey to see us get relegated xD. God forbid we were ever in the hunt for a league title, your head would explode mate.

Don't act like this is a one way street.

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

If the roles were reversed than Arsenal fans would absolutely take a meaningless defeat to stop Spurs winning the league. Liverpool fans would as well if it stopped Man Utd or Everton winning the league. 

Pretty sure we've been in positions before in my lifetime lol. I'd blame the other sides that just roll over for the Manchester clubs and part their arse cheeks more than I'd blame us.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

If Liverpool were playing Luton last night instead of Aston Villa and they could catch and relegate Everton by beating you then you'd have supported them 100%. This isn't even a matter of opinion. Going off the way you post about Everton on here you'd push your own Nan into the Mersey to see us get relegated xD. God forbid we were ever in the hunt for a league title, your head would explode mate.

Don't act like this is a one way street.

Most Liverpool fans I know don't want Everton relegated because they don't want to have seasons without the Merseyside derby & because Everton not being in the top flight is generally just bad for the city?

Tottenham XI: Vicario; Porro, Romero, Dragusin, Van de Ven; Bentancur, Hojberg, Sarr; Johnson, Son, Maddison.

Subs: Austin, Skipp, Gil, Royal, Lo Celso, Kulusevski, Scarlett, Moore, Hall.

Man City XI: Ederson; Walker, Akanji, Dias, Gvardiol; Kovacic, Rodri; Silva, De Bruyne, Foden; Haaland.

Subs: Ortega, Stones, Ake, Grealish, Doku, Alvarez, Nunes, Bobb, Lewis.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Pretty sure we've been in positions before in my lifetime lol. I'd blame the other sides that just roll over for the Manchester clubs and part their arse cheeks more than I'd blame us.

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Most Liverpool fans I know don't want Everton relegated because they don't want to have seasons without the Merseyside derby & because Everton not being in the top flight is generally just bad for the city?

I'm not talking about all Liverpool fans. Anyone vaguely familiar with Mike's posting on here knows that he's been desperate to see Everton relegated or worse for the last three years, and that's fine, but I'm not having him then getting on his high horse about Spurs being bothered about the potential fortunes of their rivals.

If he can convince me that he'd actually support Liverpool in the last week of the season, with nothing to play for, against a team who could deny Everton a league title or, more realistically, relegate us, then I'll take it back, but there's not a chance that he can xD.

And that's fine if he hates Everton that much, we are rivals, but I'm not having that in the next breath he has such a hard time believing that Spurs fans would want to lose to stop Arsenal from winning the title. I can see both sides because Spurs could still get top four but it's not bizarre.

All this business about "letting" another team win is usually academic anyway. Spurs, sadly, don't need to "let" City win tonight in order for it to happen. 

Spurs have played well so far and their defence has looked solid. It would be great if they could just even get a point from today's game, as that would really boost Arsenal's chance of winning the title.