talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Enzo Maresca Leaving Leicester for Chelsea

Posted (edited)

Madness from Chelsea. Don't really understand how they come to the conclusion replacing Pochettino with Maresca is the move.

I know Maresca won the league first time of asking but it was heavily expected with a team that were everyone's favourite and he very nearly bodged it but for the inadequacies of others. I don't know if he demonstrated enough variety tactically and if the slow build up possession play is what Chelsea will want but we shall see. Maybe it does work?

I'm not 100% sure the pressure cooker at Chelsea is the best place for someone that is still learning the game, and I wonder if he get's the time he'd deserve to give it a fair crack but then, when has anything ever made sense there?

What will be interesting is where Leicester go now? Immediate thoughts are maybe Potter but could do worse and get Moyes, especially if your main aim initially is just to stay in the league.

Edited by Lucas

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Rick said:

Makes sense for him, makes no sense for Chelsea. 

Pretty much this.

Foolish for him to reject it given the copious extra resources and circumstance at each club. 

Bizarre from Chelsea considering the previous managers they've gone for and that they rarely give managers an actual chance. Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work out for him but Enzo's stock not being impacted. 

Shame he's leaving us as I think he was building something decent here and deserved a shot to see how he does with us in the PL, but I just hope we get our next appointment right. Plenty of options out there. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Wha?

This is as weird an appointment as Rooney going to Plymouth. 

Maresca won the Championship, but Leicester were more or less favourites to win it regardless. Pretty much @Stan and @Dan questioned his tactics a few times during the season as well.

Yep, he's very stubborn. Basically played the whole season in the same base tactic and significantly suffered when teams chose to opt a low-block tactic.

Seems like Chelsea fans aren't too enamoured about it, either.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Yep, he's very stubborn. Basically played the whole season in the same base tactic and significantly suffered when teams chose to opt a low-block tactic.

Seems like Chelsea fans aren't too enamoured about it, either.

Seems all the ex Pep coaching staff that have gone on to manage are all pretty rigid to his system.

No plan B, or a refusal to go to a plan B.

• Subscriber

It's strange how you can have a season in charge and still have very little idea on how he will actually do. The jury is still very much out for me. He got the job done and for that he deserves our blessing. But Leicester's ceiling for a Championship side really was as high as you're likely to get at that level given the squad we went down with and I think after such an impressive opening two thirds of the season there was a bit of a feeling of underwhelming at the end of it. What I'm trying to say is I think we very much had the scope to break the 106 points record and ended up quite a way short, losing 7 of our last 14 games.

He's still a rookie in management which is worth remembering, but I really don't think this was the move to sack Pochettino for given he had finally started to show something even despite how dreadful most of the season had been. This seems an unnecessary gamble for me.

Put it this way, he's won the Championship here and he does deserve our respect, but I don't think there's major upset in our fanbase. Some are but I think a lot are quite 'meh' about it. I don't think many had a great deal of faith going into next season.

I hold no ill towards him. There was a time when this would've hurt, but I can't be this vocal about the running of the club and then get funny when somebody deserts it for a job like Chelsea. They have their own issues, but our case really isn't strong either. We've a likely points deduction incoming, have to sell players before we buy, as a newly promoted team. I mean the bookies think Ipswich are likelier to survive than us. You don't turn down Chelsea to stick with that.

The thing I'm most disappointed about is that Maresca did seem to be trying to put pressure on the owner to make necessary changes at board level. These are the real fixes at the club and fair play to Maresca on how quickly he sussed this was an issue. But now that pressure has gone, so they will do what they always do - nothing. Status quo protected. Unaccountability wins again.

• Subscriber

My gut instinct is it doesn't go well. I think the bad games annoyed me more than the good games impressed me. But maybe I've just watched too much football.

It doesnt make any sense to me, I could understand a manager with a track record and reputation but I am going to agree that Clearlake are looking for a yes man manager to fit how they want the team setup.

22 hours ago, Danny said:

Can’t help but think this is a silly move, but with Leicester’s potential deductions it might actually make sense for him

It’s easy money, if he does well or doesn’t do well.

Posted (edited)

Don't really know what to make of this if it goes ahead... Unless he can get almost instant results and keep us in the hunt for a top 4 place I doubt he will last more than a season before they are looking for someone else.. Looking at what happened to City in their last 14 games it doesn't bode well for a strong finish to the season even if he gets everything else right beforehand.. Interesting stat I was reading about those losses at the end for Leicester was that he was unable to turn it around after going behind in most of his games.. They nearly all ended up as losses.. 

Not sure who is getting the final say on these decisions but would love to be a fly on the wall to find out how they pick future managers and what criteria they are using?? Trying to sell it as a 'long term project' seems to be wearing a bit thin.. 

Vulture and visionary Todd Boehly is circling his next Chelsea bag-carrier (msn.com)

Edited by Bluewolf

• Subscriber

We did lose too many games given our squads relative ability. We finished with a record of 31 wins, 4 draws and 11 losses for 97 points. Strangely though I think if we had a record of 28 wins, 13 draws and 5 losses, which would also net us 97 points, I'd probably have a bit more confidence in a weird way.

• Subscriber

Massive flavour of the month appointment in my opinion. Just as Chelsea looked like they might have a bit of a future under Poch, Boehly goes back to being a meme football owner.

56 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Massive flavour of the month appointment in my opinion.

You get that impression.. They clearly don't have a long term project because they can't stick with anyone long enough to find out if real progress is being made.. Sacking Poch made no sense given the strong end to the season. Giving him one more to see if he can build on that good finish might have made more sense but if he had us languishing in 10th or 11th for most of the next season then fair enough. I also get the feeling that the managers they are bringing in are not involved in recruitment at all and get what they are given, total lack of experience in the team is fairly evident and it will take a couple of seasons to build that confidence and maturity.. 

I just think they are trying anyone that has had some reasonable success and hoping they can bring that to us regardless of their experience.. 

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Massive flavour of the month appointment in my opinion. Just as Chelsea looked like they might have a bit of a future under Poch, Boehly goes back to being a meme football owner.

It sounds like this has been driven by Winstanley and Stewart. Whose jobs should really be bought in to question if it doesn't work.

16 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

It sounds like this has been driven by Winstanley and Stewart. Whose jobs should really be bought in to question if it doesn't work.

More importantly, Joe Shields. A unanimous backing which wasn't the case for Poch. 

Good to have an Italian manager back at the club.