talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England 0-0 Slovenia - Tuesday 25th June, 2024

8 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

That is natural, like parents get frustrated at their kids all the time but can't stand if someone else does it

I don't think that's actually what's been said. Me and thepalacefan have just pointed out the clear biased against England from Tommy. I don't care who criticises England they have been shit 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

A bias is supposed to be a prejudice that is unfair or untrue. There's nothing untrue or unfair about calling England's performances shitty :ph34r:

No of course not. But wanting a team to loose is one. Anyway I don't want to talk about @Tommywhen he isn't interested in the conversation it seems abit rude to me. So last I'm gonna say on it. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

No of course not. But wanting a team to loose is one. Anyway I don't want to talk about @Tommywhen he isn't interested in the conversation it seems abit rude to me. So last I'm gonna say on it. 

That was supposed to be a joke, lol

I've no interest in the national side so see myself as neutral here. I don't rate Southgate as a manager at all but I don't get the point in the abuse towards him or the booing of the team at the end of the last two games from those England fans out there either. Not many of the other top nations have impressed in the group stages and at the end of the day they've ended up winning the group anyway.

Just judge at the end of the tournament (not saying people can't be critical, I completely get why there's criticism given the way Southgate has handled previous games in tournaments) and support the team as they did for that period in the second half and the players would probably feel in a much better place than having to worry about what's going to come at the end of a game if they don't get the win. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gunnersaurus said:

He's made loads of comments over the years. It's clear he's biased against England 

He lived in England for a while, hangs around on a forum and discord talking to mostly people from England, and he finds me only to be just slightly a cunt. I think he likes us more than you think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, 6666 said:

It's Netherlands unless Georgia beat Portugal or Czechia beat Türkiye. Then it'll be Slovakia.

The simplicity of the old format is missed.

Also if Czech Republic win by more than 2 goals and Portugal beat Georgia it will be netherlands. Basically if 3 teams get through group f we play Slovakia if two get through we play netherlands.

Very confusing 

Thought I'd let the dust settle on last night before giving my view. First we are through to the last 16 and whoever we face we will have the stronger squad, that includes the Dutch. The problem we have is we're badly disjointed and low on confidence. We're also hamstrung by a manager unwilling to take off the handbrake and for the good of the side.

Firstly Mainoo must start the next match, why he didn't start the tournament is a joke really, he decided to play Trent as he felt he'd be more defensive in his work. I'd also start Cole Palmer as he's clearly playing with a point to prove, he feels he should be starting and he knows he has the ability to make a difference. Me personally I'd switch Walker to the left and start Trent at right back next game as well, Walker offers little going forward and so does Trippier on the left, we're struggling getting the ball into the box, let Trent have a go at turning provider from right back with Palmer.

The final change is the biggest talking point Bellingham or Foden at 10. He needs to pick one or the other for the good of the tournament, forget about upsetting someone, if you want to win this tournament we need the balance of a winger on the left. Gordon showed in 5 minutes the directness we need.

I'm still at a loss why he used Eze and Bowen in them early games ahead of Palmer and Gordon, it has me questioning his sanity. Eze is a great player but so untested at this level he needed to be brought into games if we were comfortable and for me Bowen shouldn't have been on the plane, he's West Ham level and has limitations to his game that make him out of his depth for these tournaments.

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I've no interest in the national side so see myself as neutral here. I don't rate Southgate as a manager at all but I don't get the point in the abuse towards him or the booing of the team at the end of the last two games from those England fans out there either. Not many of the other top nations have impressed in the group stages and at the end of the day they've ended up winning the group anyway.

Just judge at the end of the tournament (not saying people can't be critical, I completely get why there's criticism given the way Southgate has handled previous games in tournaments) and support the team as they did for that period in the second half and the players would probably feel in a much better place than having to worry about what's going to come at the end of a game if they don't get the win. 

Southgate is in danger of becoming a victim of his own success. Or staying around long enough to be seen as the problem.

Back in 2018, every England fan, bar-non, were cartwheeling at losing to Belgium in the group, because it meant an easier looking path in the knock out rounds. Including Gary Neville & Lee Dixon. Just 2 short years after Iceland had knocked them out at Euro 2016. We did better in 2018. But we still got beat by Croatia in the semi. And for a 2nd time by Belgium in the 3rd place match.

But it was massive progress.

At the last Euro's, if the England side had a little bit more about them, Italy were very beatable. There had been more progress. 

The last World Cup, we lost out to France. Acceptable. But certainly having a different feeling than when a bunch of apparent no hopers lost twice to Belgium in 2018.

I do think some need to get a bit of perspective. There maybe is a case that a tactical genius could turn England into world beaters. And if someone does in the years soon ahead, Southgate has laid the foundations for all the renewed expectations.

• Subscriber

Southgate's luck is just utterly astounding. You could run this tournament a thousand times and not get a better set of fixtures.

I'm still not fooled though. I think we go out to Italy or the Netherlands, after an extra time win over Slovakia.

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

It's mind boggling isn't it?

It's just funny at this point. You almost have to admire it.

Cannot help but think what an absolute waste though. Particularly this time around. This might be the kindest set of fixtures yet but it's the worst we've looked. I don't even think beating Slovakia is a given - which is pathetic.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Devil said:

Firstly Mainoo must start the next match, why he didn't start the tournament is a joke really

Eze is a great player but so untested at this level

Bowen shouldn't have been on the plane, he's West Ham level

Man United finished 8th.

West Ham finished 9th. 

Crystal Palace finished 10th.

Both teams also beat Manchester United last season. Crystal Palace did it twice, with a 4-0 victory without having to move to second gear.

Its not the 90's anymore. The gap between the three of them is not as big as you think.

4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Man United finished 8th.

West Ham finished 9th. 

Crystal Palace finished 10th.

Both teams also beat Manchester United last season. Crystal Palace did it twice, with a 4-0 victory without having to move to second gear.

Its not the 90's anymore. The gap between the three of them is not as big as you think.

Stop being so touchy it's an opinion. Mainoo is going to go and be a world star its clear as day. 

Eze and Bowen are excellent pros, but in my opinion Bowen especially isn't top level. I don't think he will make it to a Champions league club. Eze on the other hand has really impressed me when I've seen him play, he will likely get a move.

League positions are irrelevant in the conversation.

1 hour ago, Devil said:

Stop being so touchy it's an opinion. Mainoo is going to go and be a world star its clear as day. 

Eze and Bowen are excellent pros, but in my opinion Bowen especially isn't top level. I don't think he will make it to a Champions league club. Eze on the other hand has really impressed me when I've seen him play, he will likely get a move.

Wasn't being touchy. Just speaking the language of facts.

You think it's a joke that Mainoo doesn't start. At the same time you think Eze is too untested, even though he has similar experience to Mainoo at international level. You also think Bowen isn't at the level, even though he's played for a side that's finished higher than 8th on more than one occasion, unlike Mainoo.

If you can't understand those points, then, well, that's on you.

1 hour ago, Devil said:

@mufc

5 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Wasn't being touchy. Just speaking the language of facts.

You think it's a joke that Mainoo doesn't start. At the same time you think Eze is too untested, even though he has similar experience to Mainoo at international level. You also think Bowen isn't at the level, even though he's played for a side that's finished higher than 8th on more than one occasion, unlike Mainoo.

If you can't understand those points, then, well, that's on you.

I fully understanding what you are saying but I think it's very clear at 18 years of age Mainoo is going to be a world class talent. Eze and Bowen aren't going to anywhere near world class. Top players I will give you but nothing more than squad players internationally.

That's my opinion, I think players with the ability of Mainoo should be in the starting eleven. He can take the ball in area of the field and look comfortable.