talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(QF) England (p)1-1 Switzerland - Saturday 6th July, 2024

46 minutes ago, Spike said:

He thinks Simeone is a football terrorist so that’s a bad comparison 

Also I think if you win, you should in style otherwise what’s the point, especially with international footy, club I can see the reasoning 

When it comes to international football, in my opinion there are 2 clear paths:

1 - playing with style and leaving an aesthetic legacy in the minds of football fans even if you lose, like Hungary in 1954 and Brazil in 1982; 

2 - playing pragmatic football to win the competition, like Brazil in 1994.

Both are defensible and since the 1st path is much more difficult to achieve, I would gladly take the 2nd option for Brazil.

But to be fair, I don't think England play boring football by design like France does.

I am not sure Southgate has much of a clue of what he is doing. 😅

It feels like England is advancing more due to a lucky draw and to the individual talent of their players.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’ve watched bits and pieces of games, I’ve watched one full game in the whole tournament, and while the public opinion and media is going to be about Gareth Southgate and England, the entertainment value throughout the tournament has been virtually zero. Eighteen draws across the board, thirteen in the groups, seven 1-0’s and twenty-eight games with two or fewer goals scored. Football is very dull these days. 

It's been a rubbish tournament after a very bright start. Looks pretty clear to me it'll be a France England final - it'd be very fitting.

• Subscriber

You play to win. The problem for England is I think Deschamps, while horrid to watch, has them very well organised, and England really have been awful for the most part, bailed out by individual quality. We've not looked organised or robust, it's just been a load of nothing with moments of magic. Thinking rationally we don't win this tournament.

• Administrator

Thought yesterday was more improved. Pressing better and playing higher up the pitch. 

Just a shame that it resorts to going a goal down before actually playing even better on the ball and attacking the opposition. Kane as a lone forward in that system doesn't work. Not when he keeps dropping deep. 

Saka looked better, as did Foden centrally. 

We won't get away with that tactic though against Netherlands or whoever we play in the final if we beat the Dutch. 

15 hours ago, Spike said:

Mate you’re in more trouble than me when the UK goes down the loo next election when you vote in Farage, so careful going fishing with this bait.

Its just gone down the biggest shitter it could ever go down 😂

14 hours ago, Tommy said:

Are you singing SWEEEEEET CAROLIIINE? Why are the English so obsessed with that song? Every time I walk in the city where the English fans are, that's all you ever hear. xD

Anyway, congrats!

England are so weird this tournament. They obviously have the potential talent wise, but they only show it shortly before shit hits the fan. Why not show it before and secure an easier victory? 

I don't know why we sing sweet Caroline we just started singing it xD

To be honest that was probably our best performance. We were playing conservatively definitely. Once we went 1.0 we had to go all out attack 

17 hours ago, Spike said:

Imagine being proud of England. Some of the best footballers on the world and paid like it, only to play like this and fall upwards into wins. Pathetic, a stain on this tournament for neutrals. They should be smashing teams 3-0 easy, they are stocked with unbelievable talent at every position.

Mate we're not Germany, Brazil or Spain. We haven't won anything for 58 years. Sure neutrals won't like it but I feel sorry for any England fan who wouldn't be able to enjoy England doing well because they aren't playing great 

1 hour ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Mate we're not Germany, Brazil or Spain. We haven't won anything for 58 years. Sure neutrals won't like it but I feel sorry for any England fan who wouldn't be able to enjoy England doing well because they aren't playing great 

1 hour ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@Tommy  @El Profesor. @Machado @Rucksackfranzose. I think you should cheer on England in this tournament. Just because the @Spike  and @Devil-Dick Willie breakdown will be epic if we somehow win it 

You literally have a top four team in terms of talent but play like a bottom team afraid of relegation. It’s pathetic. Same with France.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

You literally have a top four team in terms of talent but play like a bottom team afraid of relegation. It’s pathetic. Same with France.

To an extent, this is the best bunch of players England have had for a long time. But we also are missing any genuine left wing players. If Shaw is now fit we have a left footed left back. There is a very good case to say Southgate could have come up with something better to make the left side work. And that TAA & Gallagher should have been behind Mainoo from the start. We don't have too much choice in midfield. Or too many options behind Pickford. We have the same patchy squad issues many others have. Or star players just tend to be main stars for clubs in various leagues.

Just now, Reluctant Striker said:

To an extent, this is the best bunch of players England have had for a long time. But we also are missing any genuine left wing players. If Shaw is now fit we have a left footed left back. There is a very good case to say Southgate could have come up with something better to make the left side work. And that TAA & Gallagher should have been behind Mainoo from the start. We don't have too much choice in midfield. Or too many options behind Pickford. We have the same patchy squad issues many others have. Or star players just tend to be main stars for clubs in various leagues.

Literally any Tom, Dick, or Harry on this website could coach England to a higher standard of football than the current clown. He plays to minimise risk, that’s weak.

14 minutes ago, Spike said:

It's international football. You play a maximum of 7 games in final tournaments. Who cares if its pretty. 

53 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Kane has to be dropped for Watkins and drop Foden for Cole Palmer.

I do think Watkins would add far more energy. And could still be replaced by Kane or Toney if penalties seem possible. To an extent I'd stick with Foden, as Palmer seems like a really effective impact sub. And takes penalties. I wouldn't back Foden on penalties.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Spike said:

Literally any Tom, Dick, or Harry on this website could coach England to a higher standard of football than the current clown. He plays to minimise risk, that’s weak.

You wouldn't have a clue where to start mate. I know someone who coaches a girls football team. Miles away from England senior men's team but the principles are the same. Anyone can pick a team but to get those players and that formation to work is work is where the coaching comes in. If you managed the England team you wouldn't even qualify for a tournament 

Edited by Gunnersaurus

2 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I do think Watkins would add far more energy. And could still be replaced by Kane or Toney if penalties seem possible. To an extent I'd stick with Foden, as Palmer seems like a really effective impact sub. And takes penalties. I wouldn't back Foden on penalties.

Palmer has been good when starting for Chelsea. I feel like Palmer seems more suited to international football due to his ball retention skills. Am a big Foden fan but for some reason he can't play a 5 yard pass at these Euros.

6 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

It's international football. You play a maximum of 7 games in final tournaments. Who cares if its pretty. 

People that respect the sport, Johan Cruyff.

6 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

You wouldn't have a clue where to start mate. I know someone who coaches a girls football team. Miles away from England senior men's team but the principles are the same. Anyone can pick a team but to get those players and that formation to work is work is where the coaches come in. If you managed the England team you wouldn't even qualify for a tournament 

Are you serious? First it’s ’only seven games’ and now it’s a labyrinthine tactical Masterclass? 

Of course it’s easy, these players are professional idiots, all you have to do is disseminate your tactical plan in a language they understand. ‘See M’Bappe, how that cunt runs? He is proper explosive he’ll slow right down so you’ll match him in pace, then burn on the pedal. Kick him before that’

Bam, England has a WC 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Spike said:

Are you serious? First it’s ’only seven games’ and now it’s a labyrinthine tactical Masterclass? 

Of course it’s easy, these players are professional idiots, all you have to do is disseminate your tactical plan in a language they understand. ‘See M’Bappe, how that cunt runs? He is proper explosive he’ll slow right down so you’ll match him in pace, then burn on the pedal. Kick him before that’

Bam, England has a WC 

OK well I'm gonna believe my friend who knows what she talks about over someone on the internet I've never met who has never coached before. 

I don't expect you to change your mind as I've not really given you enough reasons to. But you haven't given me any reasons to change mine either 

Edited by Gunnersaurus

13 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

OK well I'm gonna believe my friend who knows what she talks about over someone on the internet I've never met who has never coached before. 

Your friend has a more difficult job coaching than the fucken England job. I don’t even know your friend but I know she is better than Southgate.

Also you don’t know that I’ve never coached, you just said you don’t know me.