talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Paris Olympics 2024

football forums

I always find that there are sports which I wouldn't normally enjoy that I like when it's the Olympics. Something about it being the Olympics makes it enjoyable.

Another great thing is you get to see sports that you normally don't see like handball 

2 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I always find that there are sports which I wouldn't normally enjoy that I like when it's the Olympics. Something about it being the Olympics makes it enjoyable.

Another great thing is you get to see sports that you normally don't see like handball 

If you want to watch it more often, just use a VPN. Weekly on TV in Germany.

My favorite sport to follow during the Olympics is volleyball. I really recommend it.

There is a lot of parity, both in the men´s and women´s competitions. At least half of the 12 teams can reasonably expect to win a medal and the games are brilliant, the margins are really small.

Apart from rooting for Brazil, I would love to see Japan surprising the world and winning a medal at both men´s and women´s volleyball. I also like the turkish team.

Edited by El Profesor

46 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

My favorite sport to follow during the Olympics is volleyball. I really recommend it.

There is a lot of parity, both in the men´s and women´s competitions. At least half of the 12 teams can reasonably expect to win a medal and the games are brilliant, the margins are really small.

Apart from rooting for Brazil, I would love to see Japan surprising the world and winning a medal at both men´s and women´s volleyball. I also like the turkish team.

Isn't volleyball the second most popular sport in Brazil? 

2 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Isn't volleyball the second most popular sport in Brazil? 

Traditionally, it is.

But unfortunately it´s losing its popularity. It´s fastly becoming a niche sport.

It wouldn´t surprise me if the numbers showed that the NFL has already surpassed volleyball in Brazil in TV audience.

Edited by El Profesor

7 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

If you want to watch it more often, just use a VPN. Weekly on TV in Germany.

I don't think it's something I'd be prepared to pay for. Plus not understanding the language would drive me mad xD

14 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Traditionally, it is.

But unfortunately it´s losing its popularity. It´s fastly becoming a niche sport.

It wouldn´t surprise me if the numbers showed that the NFL has already surpassed volleyball in Brazil in TV audience.

I think sometimes you find that the popularity of a sport depends on how many similar sports there are competing with it in that country . What I mean is in England football is the most popular sport. Its a fast sport. Then you have rugby which is slightly slower and more tactical sport. Then you have cricket which is a sport with a bat and much slower. So there are different sports depending on what you like. And I think a lot of countries are the same. You have a popular sport which is fast, a popular sport which is slower but more tactical and then a popular sport which is much slower. I don't think it's that common that you get a country where baseball and cricket are both popular.

I could be talking absolute nonsense but it seems like there is some truth to it. 

Edited by Gunnersaurus

• Subscriber

I love the Olympics. I was annoyed when it was in Japan that it started at midnight our time and finished at breakfast because it meant I didn't catch much of it live. Looking forward to watching a lot more random sports this year.

Olympics are wank. Countries like US China have made it into a dick measuring contest between them inserting sports that increase their chance of winning medals i.e skateboarding ffs and India is also pushing for cricket to be included in it. 

Also becoming a burden to host these things. Only two cities Paris and Los Angeles applied for 2024, IOC for first time announced two hosts at once awarded 24 to Paris and LA 2028 fearing no one might apply for the next one. 

That said some sports are interesting to watch and only get prime time attention during Olympics like El Professor mentioned volleyball, hockey 

25 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Olympics are wank. Countries like US China have made it into a dick measuring contest between them inserting sports that increase their chance of winning medals i.e skateboarding ffs and India is also pushing for cricket to be included in it. 

Also becoming a burden to host these things. Only two cities Paris and Los Angeles applied for 2024, IOC for first time announced two hosts at once awarded 24 to Paris and LA 2028 fearing no one might apply for the next one. 

That said some sports are interesting to watch and only get prime time attention during Olympics like El Professor mentioned volleyball, hockey 

USA v Russia did that long before. Also why does India want another trophy to lose!?

• Subscriber
On 19/07/2024 at 13:26, Gunnersaurus said:

Played that in my army days in Germany, great sport and can be very rough and ready, I dislocated a guy's shoulder in a game

35 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Pretty sure it's always been a dick measuring contest tbh

Yeah it was the Soviets before wasn't it? You get it other sports. The rivalry between countries can be a way of one country wanting to feel that they are better 

Just now, Gunnersaurus said:

Yeah it was the Soviets before wasn't it? You get it other sports. The rivalry between countries can be a way of one country wanting to feel that they are better 

Pretty sure even before the Soviets too? Didn't Hitler want to use the Olympics to show that Germany had a big dick as well?