Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

    Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

    Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

World Cup - Favourite Memories


Recommended Posts

Bit of a soft subject for the English given how shite we usually are but what have been your favourite World Cup memories in your life time?

After the way Argentina knocked out England in France '98, with the Campbell goal ruled out and the Batistuta/Simeone double act getting Beckham sent off, the genius goal from Dennis Bergkamp with the sun shining accompanied by Jonathan Pearce's commentary of: "And good bloody riddance!!" Is definitely up there. 

The 2006 World Cup served up some great memories too. The Italy/Germany semi final was absolute class. As was the way Zidane played up until the final.

From an English's perspective. Seeing Beckham get revenge against Argentina and us qualify from the 'group of death' ahead of them stands out as possibly the best achievement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So many! 

Mentioned a few in the other thread about first memories etc (coincidentally 3 things against Argentina). 

I remember some stunning goals mainly:

Edmilson overhead kick 

Maxi Rodriguez vs Mexico (?) 

Esteban Cambiasso vs Serbia team goal 

Fabio Grosso against Germany (the celebration included) 

Iniesta vs Holland 2010 (the timing, the occasion of Spain first World Cup win) 

Could name more goals but they're the ones that stand out of games that I've actually watched (anything before 1998 doesn't qualify for me!) 

Other things:

Brazil being thrashed by Germany 

The Brazil team at 2002 World Cup 

The joy and despair, the hope that kills you, of watching England at a major tournament. 

Seeing Emile Heskey in an England shirt (and score) at a World Cup is one of life's all time great moments. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Bit of a soft subject for the English given how shite we usually are but what have been your favourite World Cup memories in your life time?

After the way Argentina knocked out England in France '98, with the Campbell goal ruled out and the Batistuta/Simeone double act getting Beckham sent off, the genius goal from Dennis Bergkamp with the sun shining accompanied by Jonathan Pearce's commentary of: "And good bloody riddance!!" Is definitely up there. 

The 2006 World Cup served up some great memories too. The Italy/Germany semi final was absolute class. As was the way Zidane played up until the final.

From an English's perspective. Seeing Beckham get revenge against Argentina and us qualify from the 'group of death' ahead of them stands out as possibly the best achievement. 

Campbell's goal was rightly disallowed as Shearer elbowed Roa (our GK), and Beckham did kick Simeone when the ball was not moving so that's right too (no matter how weak the kick was, he should have known better). I'd say you were clearly more favoured than us in those 2 matches (98 and 02) with the two fabricated Owen penalties, and also in the overall picture since we were robbed in the 66 too, and only on the 86 were we clearly favoured with the famous (or infamous) hand of god.

Edited by Berserker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Stan one of my friends parents was giving it all game about how bad Heskey was as a footballer until he scored. It was like people were waiting for somebody to blame that World Cup and the players weren't giving in. Butt and Mills in particular, who were fortunate to get game time, didn't put a foot wrong. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

another memory that springs to mind is at the Japan/South Korea World where Ahn-Jung Hwan scored for South Korea against Italy to knock them out. 

Then he consequently got sacked from Perugia xD

 

Oh and also Lampard's goal against Germany that intensified the calls for video or goal-line technology to be introduced. Still can't believe that got disallowed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Campbell's goal was rightly disallowed as Shearer elbowed Roa (our GK), and Beckham did kick Simeone when the ball was not moving so that's right too (no matter how weak the kick was, he should have known better). I'd say you were clearly more favoured than us in those 2 matches (98 and 02) with the two fabricated Owen penalties, and also in the overall picture since we were robbed in the 66 too, and only on the 86 were we clearly favoured with the famous (or infamous) hand of god.

Dude, I was eight years old at the time, if Sol Campbell had thrown the ball in to the net I would have felt a sense of injustice. Everybody knew Beckham was wrong (hence the media backlash) but that still doesn't excuse the theatrical crap that was involved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stan said:

another memory that springs to mind is at the Japan/South Korea World where Ahn-Jung Hwan scored for South Korea against Italy to knock them out. 

Then he consequently got sacked from Perugia xD.

I didn't realise the blatant cheating involved to get them as far as possible in the tournament until I watched the videos on YouTube when I was older. Literally casts a shadow over the whole tournament in my eyes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I didn't realise the blatant cheating involved to get them as far as possible in the tournament until I watched the videos on YouTube when I was older. Literally casts a shadow over the whole tournament in my eyes. 

yeah same. as an innocent 11 year old it just seemed like lots of drama and shouting and furore. Only when you look in to it a little deeper you realise how much corruption there is xD 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My memories go back to the 1978 World Cup in Argentina where Mario Kempes was the man, but what struck me at this level was Diego Maradona in 1986 which was a World Cup all about him and for me the last time one player owned the entire tournament. We have (like Berserker already pointed out) the infamous”Hand of God Goal” but in that game we also have probably the greatest goal scored of all time which for me is and always will be a defining moment in football.

This with the famous commentator Victor Hugo Morales which in itself has become an iconic piece of commentary;

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember anyone who wanted it was given the morning off school to watch England v Brazil in the 2002 world cup. The England v Denmark game in the round before that we were made to watch in the classroom. TV's were small back then xD

I have blacked out every world cup since, thanks, bye.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember my first day at the place I currently work was when England played Slovenia and Defoe scored.

I was expecting on that day to be really busy, learning who's who in the company and doing a lot of training and induction etc. Comes to kick-off time which was in the afternoon, and everyone bolts up to the third floor of the office where the only TV was. I get invited along and end up watching that for a couple of hours. Don't think the match was that good but I don't think many people would have a first day like that at their jobs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2002 - Beating Portugal in 2002 and fighting to the final whistle against a much better Germany side.

2006 - The most memorable World Cup I'll ever see. I was so into that Italian team, especially with my favorite Nerazzurri on the team, Materazzi. The Semi-Final game against Germany was just unreal with intensity. The Final was provided with one of the most memorable moments in World Cup history. Italy winning the World Cup because Juve's own Trezeguet missing a PK was serious icing on the cake.

2014 - Dempsey scoring in the first minutes of our first match against Ghana, and then Brooks having to score at the very end to seal the deal. Then the match against Belgium where Howard had to stand on his head to stop the match from being 32-0. Somehow we took that match into Extra Time only to lose it to a goal by De Bruyne, and then Lukaku.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Iniesta's goal in 2010.

Zidane's headbutt in 2006.

The Brazil 2002 team.

France 98 as a tournament. So many quality players involved. Ronaldo, Zidane, Rivaldo, Bergkamp, Barthez, de Boer, Laudrup, Davids, Roberto Carlos, Desailly, Thuram, Batistuta, Suker, Klinsmann, Shearer...

Romario carrying Brazil in 1994.

The Argentina team goal vs Serbia in 2006 which was finished off by Cambiasso.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/1/2018 at 08:02, Berserker said:

In my school they let us watch all the (few) 2002 WC matches in the assembly hall all together, i remember they painted our faces white and blue and made us listen to this song

 

It was class to be fair.

Diego Torres is my favourite singer. I can sing any one of his songs. Absolutely beautiful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bergkamp's 90th minute winner v Argentina in '98 is my all time favourite.

If you were English, you were Holland. It could have been any team as long as those Argentines were knocked out. 

The wounds were still raw from losing to the Argies. To lose in the way we did to Germany at Euro 96 and then Argentina in '98 so close to eachother  is so hard to take, it really is. And as Argentina won it so controversially and in the fashion they did, the knives were out for them.

They tried to bring Holland down to their level and got one player sent off, and I remember Ortega being a right sly bastard that game until he was sent off for headbutting Van Der Saar.

The jubilation when Bergkamp brought that ball down, made a mug of one Argie defender and buried it in the too corner, 90th minute, Barry Davies going bananas covering the game on the BBC, it was fucking fantastic.

Such a bittersweet moment but a great one. Justice had been served.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That Sol Campbell goal was not a foul in the slightest, just another example of how goalkeepers are protected to levels of negligence and extreme professionalism. At some point referees need to be challenged over their protection that goalkeepers are only allowed (not just that game but every game since).

World Cup memories for me start in 2002, I was aware of the 98 World Cup and France winning it but really I was too young to comprehend. 2002 was the start, David Beckham's penalty against Argentina was one of my favourite memories. That Ronaldinho goal was just destructive to watch, I had the day off school (might have pulled a sicky) to watch it and that was my first proper England moment xD

Favourite memory was watching Joe Cole score probably the greatest non-World Cup winning goal in English history and potentially World Cup history:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

@Danny

 

 

 

 

 

That Michael Owen goal was class as well. Especially when you consider his age at the time.

He could have been much more than he was Owen.

 

Funnily enough, when you hear him actually talking about football nowadays as a pundit, you would never think he had played the sport before, nevermind one who possessed such ability xD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

there's one thing that really annoys me about Owen (aside from his boring punditry which is well documented) and that's the clip of he and Neville Southall with a teenage kid in goal. Only on a training pitch and Owen scores and celebrates like he's just won a cup final. Southall then says 'alright Michael, he's only 13' xD 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Lucas said:

Bergkamp's 90th minute winner v Argentina in '98 is my all time favourite.

If you were English, you were Holland. It could have been any team as long as those Argentines were knocked out. 

The wounds were still raw from losing to the Argies. To lose in the way we did to Germany at Euro 96 and then Argentina in '98 so close to eachother  is so hard to take, it really is. And as Argentina won it so controversially and in the fashion they did, the knives were out for them.

They tried to bring Holland down to their level and got one player sent off, and I remember Ortega being a right sly bastard that game until he was sent off for headbutting Van Der Saar.

The jubilation when Bergkamp brought that ball down, made a mug of one Argie defender and buried it in the too corner, 90th minute, Barry Davies going bananas covering the game on the BBC, it was fucking fantastic.

Such a bittersweet moment but a great one. Justice had been served.

 

Controversy, fashion, justice? Yeah, Simeone exaggerated Beckham's kick but he was still kicked on purpose with the ball not in play, that's a red according to the rules. What did you expect Simeone to do, try to talk the referee into not punishing Beckham since they were such good friends?, what do you think one of your players would have done if Simeone kicked them like Beckham did to him?, you know that's bullshit. Also you got a fabricated penalty thanks to Owen's diving, did you forget about that?  if you lost it's not because of Simeone or because of the ref who clearly favoured you rather than us, it's because of your own fault. Maybe you were expecting Simeone to be sent off instead of Beckham and anything but all the calls going your way is injustice in our eyes, wouldn't surprise me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Controversy, fashion, justice? Yeah, Simeone exaggerated Beckham's kick but he was still kicked on purpose with the ball not in play, that's a red according to the rules. What did you expect Simeone to do, try to talk the referee into not punishing Beckham since they were such good friends?, what do you think one of your players would have done if Simeone kicked them like Beckham did to him?, you know that's bullshit. Also you got a fabricated penalty thanks to Owen's diving, did you forget about that?  if you lost it's not because of Simeone or because of the ref who clearly favoured you rather than us, it's because of your own fault. Maybe you were expecting Simeone to be sent off instead of Beckham and anything but all the calls going your way is injustice in our eyes, wouldn't surprise me.

The general consensus in England from the football media (excepting the sensationalist stuff) was that Beckham was stupid for doing what he did and that there’s too much at play in a World Cup knock-out game. You can only blame yourself for breaking the rules and if someone else uses the fact you’ve actually broken those rules to accentuate to make the official recognise the fact, then there can be no complaint.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stan said:

there's one thing that really annoys me about Owen (aside from his boring punditry which is well documented) and that's the clip of he and Neville Southall with a teenage kid in goal. Only on a training pitch and Owen scores and celebrates like he's just won a cup final. Southall then says 'alright Michael, he's only 13' xD 

He's just openly mocking him the absolute dickhead.

Best talent England have produced for a long time before or since in my opinion, but my god what an absolute cock.

My favourite World Cup memory is the entire 2002 competition. Getting up at something like 7 in the morning and going straight downstairs to watch footy for a couple of hours or watching them in the hall at school. I'd hate it now (the getting up early part) but at the time it was brilliant. That Brazil team was fantastic, as was Oliver Kahn, and I liked seeing teams like Turkey (had a Turkish friend at school) and South Korea (unfancied host nation) doing well. I wasn't even that disappointed by England, which I haven't been able to say since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

The general consensus in England from the football media (excepting the sensationalist stuff) was that Beckham was stupid for doing what he did and that there’s too much at play in a World Cup knock-out game. You can only blame yourself for breaking the rules and if someone else uses the fact you’ve actually broken those rules to accentuate to make the official recognise the fact, then there can be no complaint.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Wah wah wah, Falklands this, Falklands that.

Fuck off Marty you twatic cunt! xD

Edited by Berserker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brazil 1-7 Germany as well. Brazil progressively wound me up throughout that tournament and every win of theirs pissed me off that bit more than the last one. Whether it was the usual host rimming / bias I'm unsure but I thought they were a really bland, boring Brazil side and if they'd gone all the way it'd have been a total travesty.

But what actually happened to them was incredible. I've never got my head around how well Germany kept their heads in such a scenario. Just absolutely ruthless. We were going mad when they went 3 up, but for them to get a 4th and 5th so soon after, I've never seen a load of people react like it for a game Germany were winning xD it was a mixture of shock and laughter.

I'm pretty sure I put money on that game ending 0-0 as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dan said:

Brazil 1-7 Germany as well. Brazil progressively wound me up throughout that tournament and every win of theirs pissed me off that bit more than the last one. Whether it was the usual host rimming / bias I'm unsure but I thought they were a really bland, boring Brazil side and if they'd gone all the way it'd have been a total travesty.

But what actually happened to them was incredible. I've never got my head around how well Germany kept their heads in such a scenario. Just absolutely ruthless. We were going mad when they went 3 up, but for them to get a 4th and 5th so soon after, I've never seen a load of people react like it for a game Germany were winning xD it was a mixture of shock and laughter.

I'm pretty sure I put money on that game ending 0-0 as well.

Brazil had a consistently dislikeable team from Alves to Marcelo to Luis to Neymar, so much diving from them, Neymar especially it was good to see Germany knock them out like that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Danny said:

Brazil had a consistently dislikeable team from Alves to Marcelo to Luis to Neymar, so much diving from them, Neymar especially it was good to see Germany knock them out like that

Dislikeable team in just about every way and I always have an automatic disliking of any side the media rims the hell out of.

As for Germany, there was nothing dislikeable about them in that tournament. Just a class side in every way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Dislikeable team in just about every way and I always have an automatic disliking of any side the media rims the hell out of.

As for Germany, there was nothing dislikeable about them in that tournament. Just a class side in every way.

Other than Neuer's flying knee that almost killed Higuain and was not sanctioned in any way i'd say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me, nothing beats the Battle of Nurnberg in 2006, vs Holland. Beating a very talented Dutch side, amidst a shocking performance by the referee, was superb.

Other great memories include:

- France 98 as a whole (best WC I've seen);

- Baggio miss in 1994;

- The 2002 Brazilian team;

- Italy vs Germany in 2006;

- Brazil 1-7 Germany;

- Zidane's headbutt.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

football forum
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...