talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Winter Break Agreed in Principle by FA, Premier League and EFL

3 hours ago, Marc said:

Such a massive change to the English game, yet zero consultation with supporters has taken place.

I think the current schedule is excessive but we could meet somewhere in the middle. The best thing about Christmas is the football.

The break should be after the New Year's day fixtures, maybe only one week. The first games back should be the 3rd round games, hopefully interest will be drummed up because there's been a gap without any football.

Surely by getting rid of the league cup we can free up enough space for just a 7 or 10 day break. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Batard said:

Winter breaks works fine across Europe. Wouldn’t be against it personally. It would very likely reduce the amount of hamstring injuries that occur over winter, what with the amount of games and the colder weather in tandem having claimed a fair few already this winter. I say try it; if it doesn’t work scrap it. No way to know unless it’s experimented. Speculation at best otherwise. 

That's what I've said. Germany has less teams so its not a good example but Spain has 20. Two weeks is only what 3 games max. Not that much of a struggle for me personally. Especially when you consider that players could have more energy.

Get rid of the League Cup (if Man City win it...) and FA Cup replays. That'd clear up fixture congestion without the need for a winter break. Or cut down the league to 18 teams. Or keep things the way they are because a lot of the clubs that are also competing in Europe have massive squads anyway.

For the last two years (this one included) La Liga has had 1 week off during Christmas (one weekend) if you can call that a winter break.  Italy played all the way through on weekends as per usual although they don’t do that psychotic thing of playing half the season in two weeks.  I think only the Bundesliga is left with their proper winter breaks.

For sure we have to get rid of the League Cup because it’s shit and getting rid of the FA Cup replays would also be wonderful.

It's all well and good getting rid of the League Cup for Premier League teams but getting rid of it altogether means EFL clubs will make less money throughout the season. Then you have the argument of if no Prem teams take part, what's the difference between the League Cup and the JPT? English football is unique, the League Cup allows lower tier teams to potentially compete at Wembley and if not, potentially compete with a bigger side in the build up. Look at Bristol City this season already beating United and coming close against Man City, that's a fantastic story.

Premier League centric thinking has already invaded the JPT.

A good compromise would be to scrap replays and second legs in both the League Cup and FA Cup, but maybe at least in the League Cup give home advantage to the lower league side.

Why do we need to get rid of the league cup for "rest" purposes when few are bothering to play full strength in the first place? 

The best revamp would be to boot out all of the european teams and have everyone else play the league cup at the same time as the champions league, with a place in the Europa League up for grabs. Teams like Leicester would surely go for it then.

1 hour ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Why do we need to get rid of the league cup for "rest" purposes when few are bothering to play full strength in the first place? 

The best revamp would be to boot out all of the european teams and have everyone else play the league cup at the same time as the champions league, with a place in the Europa League up for grabs. Teams like Leicester would surely go for it then.

What’s a good word to use in football jargon for a Brexit type situation? :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Curiously enough and seemingly totally disconnected, all of this also points toward more ammunition for the big clubs that want to set up that Super League.

Good :ph34r: 

I can't think of anything that the likes of Chelsea fans need more than to have their annual win ratio drop from 65% to 25%. It will make men out of them.

• 3 weeks later...

I’d rather it be in February than at christmas. February is a an awful month anyway, let’s just make it even shitter.

It’s just another example of the power that big clubs and their managers have over the entire game. 

Whilst I agree that FA cup replays do sometimes seem unneeded they are massive for football league clubs. Spurs v rochdale is a 5th round game, that replay at Wembley will cover Rochdales wage bill for about 2 years.

That idea is shit. If we go past January then you may as well carry on.

Personally if we're having a break then let's be real. Have the two week break after the new years fixtures and start the 3rd round of the cup later.

Happy to do away with the League Cup. That would mean more importance on the FA Cup. The teams in Europe dont care and why should it be doctored for average clubs to give them a chance. It's a weak competition that only comes alive at the semi final stage. Scrap it.

And you cannot get rid of FA Cup replays. Rochdale and Newport fans have had the experience of their lives this season thanks to getting a draw. It's what the competition is about and we shouldn't be looking to doctor it to suit other needs. Just get rid of what's weak.

30 minutes ago, Marc said:

I’d rather it be in February than at christmas. February is a an awful month anyway, let’s just make it even shitter.

It’s just another example of the power that big clubs and their managers have over the entire game. 

Whilst I agree that FA cup replays do sometimes seem unneeded they are massive for football league clubs. Spurs v rochdale is a 5th round game, that replay at Wembley will cover Rochdales wage bill for about 2 years.

Agree in a sense but on the flip side, who’s to say Rochdale wouldn’t have won the penalty shoot out and booked their place in the quarter finals? Much more chance than what they have going to Spurs and winning I’d say. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

That idea is shit. If we go past January then you may as well carry on.

Personally if we're having a break then let's be real. Have the two week break after the new years fixtures and start the 3rd round of the cup later.

Happy to do away with the League Cup. That would mean more importance on the FA Cup. The teams in Europe dont care and why should it be doctored for average clubs to give them a chance. It's a weak competition that only comes alive at the semi final stage. Scrap it.

And you cannot get rid of FA Cup replays. Rochdale and Newport fans have had the experience of their lives this season thanks to getting a draw. It's what the competition is about and we shouldn't be looking to doctor it to suit other needs. Just get rid of what's weak.

came in here to say exactly this.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Marc said:

My idea on replays is simply only play them if the two teams aren't in the same league.

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Agree in a sense but on the flip side, who’s to say Rochdale wouldn’t have won the penalty shoot out and booked their place in the quarter finals? Much more chance than what they have going to Spurs and winning I’d say. 

Financially a replay is better than them winning. They get half the gate receipts at Wembley and it’s on TV. If they win they could get Swansea at home, sell 10000 tickets at £20 each and not get on TV.

Any Winter Break enforced by The FA/Premier League would just see multiple teams embark on tours across Asia and the US, only to then moan a few weeks later that their players are fatigued, it’s just a money making exercise dressed up as “warm weather training”. 

How they’re going to fit 38 league fixtures alongside the two domestic cups, European competitions if you’re decent and enforced International breaks into a shorter period of time, whilst not extending the season, is going to be interesting. 

5 hours ago, Marc said:

Financially a replay is better than them winning. They get half the gate receipts at Wembley and it’s on TV. If they win they could get Swansea at home, sell 10000 tickets at £20 each and not get on TV.

Ifs and maybe’s mate. They could also get a quarter final draw against Manchester Utd at Old Toilet and double what they would get at White Hart Lane in a fifth round replay, as well as being on TV. 

Archived