talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cooking

football forum

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, MUFC said:

Do you still buy meat from the butchers or superstores?

Superstores, always. Unless it’s a BBQ or special occasion. 

Aldi are the best for steaks, I’ve tried all the main supermarkets and they do the best ones.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MUFC said:

Both. If it's supposed to be fancy, I definitely prefer the butcher. And if I buy meat in a store, I make sure they are from good or at least decent livestock farming. We actually have a rating on the packages. 1 is the worst, and 4 is the best. I make sure I always buy meat from Grade 4 livestock farming. 

• Thanks 1

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Both. If it's supposed to be fancy, I definitely prefer the butcher. And if I buy meat in a store, I make sure they are from good or at least decent livestock farming. We actually have a rating on the packages. 1 is the worst, and 4 is the best. I make sure I always buy meat from Grade 4 livestock farming. 

I also try to buy free range eggs and meat, but personally, I also find it hard to believe and trust these kinds of ratings. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MUFC said:

Both. I think what superstores are good for is the "common" cuts of meat and convenience. I used to think it was cheaper... but really, the price can depend on various things so... it's not always cheaper from superstores, I've found.

But it's cheaper most of the time for the common cuts - so I definitely will buy meat from there. I still think there are lots of good reasons to go to your local butchers:

• Selection....not just the different types of meat you're more likely to find at a butchers... you'll also get better cuts
  • Fresher & higher quality meat
  • Putting money back into your local economy - superstores are either big national chains or international chains; your local butcher is most likely.... well local & part of your community. When you support local business, that's you putting your money back into your community. And chances are your local butcher gives a fuck about you eating good meat more than some rich dickhead running a giant grocer does

I've also generally found myself shopping at superstores less and less for food (more for general things I need around the house, like bog rolls and shit like that) because aside from my fucking excellent local butcher... there's a few good local grocers around me. And some of them are significantly cheaper than the superstores around me for higher quality fruits and veg... so I'm glad I've learned about them.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I also try to buy free range eggs and meat, but personally, I also find it hard to believe and trust these kinds of ratings. 

Yeah especially with eggs I've noticed recently (at least here) - I feel like they're trying to confuse people between cage-free and free-range.

And tbf, I don't know the fucking difference xD, I assume free-range means the animals have space to roam around freely, and I assume cage-free means they're just not in cages (but they could still be tightly packed into a space... so idk if it means much)

15 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yea, unfortunately. Also there's also almost always like some feather on these free range eggs. Like they glue it on there for show. 🤨xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah especially with eggs I've noticed recently (at least here) - I feel like they're trying to confuse people between cage-free and free-range.

And tbf, I don't know the fucking difference xD, I assume free-range means the animals have space to roam around freely, and I assume cage-free means they're just not in cages (but they could still be tightly packed into a space... so idk if it means much)

Yeah, free-range animals have outdoor access while cage-free ones doesn't. But then again, it's still pretty vague and doesn't tell much about other factors of their well-being...

how-to-read-egg-label-full.jpg?itok=CxqY

Or like the ratings in German stores - even if they are true, the differences between 1 and 4 are still too low, in my opinion. Look at the size of animal enclosure:

oc3d2v5motq21.png?width=768&auto=webp&s=

4 is surely better than 1, but still - a 100kg animal in a 1.5 square meter space doesn't exactly scream of well-being. And number 3, Außenklima, suggests that the animals have "outdoor climate", but after a quick research, it appears that having a window open in the enclosure is enough to get that ranking... So yeah.. 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Coma said:

Below freezing outside, so a bowl of chili is on the menu.

20220204_182309.jpg

And no cat in sight! But the underground looks the same. So the cat was in fact on the dining table? :ph34r:

Chili looks good though! :P

• Haha 1

On 05/02/2022 at 04:19, Stan said:

Buy meat from butchers. It's less fatty and you can tell the butcher exactly how you want it cut. Tastes better too. 

Must be raining cash where you live. Butcher prices are outrageous here in the US.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Coma said:

Must be raining cash where you live. Butcher prices are outrageous here in the US.

Not particularly. Not from the Asian butchers anyway. The British butchers prices are extortionate. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Coma said:

Look into some of the immigrant community shops. I went to a Persian grocer around me once because I wanted to make some food like my mum... and I've kept going back because aside from the Persian stuff they have, the butcher shop inside their store is just remarkable. Also, weirdly, the produce there is outrageously cheap and yet still very high quality. And really anything (or just about anything) you can also get at an "ordinary" grocer seems to be much cheaper.

The butcher shop (not one that's affiliated with any grocer) by me has possibly the most diverse selection of meats and cuts I've ever seen in my life... but some of the prices are absolutely outrageous. I still go to them quite a bit - they've got the best flank steak cuts I've ever seen in my life. But yeah, expensive.

But I'm sure you've got some meat loving immigrant communities around you that want a butcher shop with prices that aren't insane that they'd find back home. And chances are... you'll have found yourself a great little grocer that sells more than just the exotic/ethnic stuff at good prices. Plus these places seem to love when people from outside their community shop there.

But obviously this will depend on if you've got such a grocer around you. If you don't... you'll be stuck with an expensive butcher.

12 hours ago, Stan said:

Not particularly. Not from the Asian butchers anyway. The British butchers prices are extortionate. 

As far as I know, there were none of these around me growing up :( 

• Subscriber
Just now, CaaC (John) said:

@JoshBRFC, off-topic but you are a boxing man, that young lad in the pic was our eldest grandson when he was 10 years old, he is now 15 and in a junior boxing tournament in Motherwell, Scotland, he fought in the quarter-finals tonight and won and is in the final tomorrow, happy old man I am. 

He fought this guy last week who was taller than him and won, he has a great pair of hands and the future looks good and his trainer/coach said he has potential. :D

download.png.00a528e057bc3afa52158a1361d034c3.png

download.png.d4fc82befff0f7242664e3e76175233b.png

Amazing pal, you should be very proud. Good luck I wish you both all the best for tomorrow :) . The sweet science is great for kids and is a fantastic way to teach them about respect.

• Upvote 1