• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

Cooking

Recommended Posts

Do you enjoy cooking? Over the past few years I have become a passionate cook. Today I've made a yummy Thai Curry that was to die for. 

 

What's your favourite thing to cook? Anything you specialize in? Anything you want to try in the future? Share recipes, experiences etc. here. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

Do you enjoy cooking? Over the past few years I have become a passionate cook. Today I've made a yummy Thai Curry that was to die for. 

 

What's your favourite thing to cook? Anything you specialize in? Anything you want to try in the future? Share recipes, experiences etc. here. 

Now I'm definitely sure you are in a relationship with Kloppische.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cooked a taco bowl with dry-rubbed chicken, rice with cilantro and lime, caramalised onions and green capsicum, and pico de gallo made with serrano, habanero, green capscicum, and onion. Wasn't spicy enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tsubasa said:

Do you enjoy cooking? Over the past few years I have become a passionate cook. Today I've made a yummy Thai Curry that was to die for. 

 

What's your favourite thing to cook? Anything you specialize in? Anything you want to try in the future? Share recipes, experiences etc. here. 

What kind of Thai curry?

I barely cook these days anymore, mostly because it's actually cheaper to dine out here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had friends over last night and so we did enchiladas with yellow rice.

Tonight I'll probably be cooking eggplant parm, I have a handful of good vegetarian recipes from my Vegan days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nudge said:

What kind of Thai curry?

 

Good question. It was with coconut milk, green curry paste, chicken and veggies. Probably as authentic as a Chinese rolex, but it was yummy either way :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on - that's not acceptable 'banter.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

 

Good question. It was with coconut milk, green curry paste, chicken and veggies. Probably as authentic as a Chinese rolex, but it was yummy either way :P

Hey, I cooked a lot of unauthentic Thai curries in the past, they still were great! Try adding some fish sauce and palm sugar as it helps to balance the taste and make it more authentic, hehe. Also, kaffir lime makes a big difference!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never really dived into Thai food. I guess I feel like it's got a bad rep for just messing up a lot of people's stomachs.

I may have to give it a go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ATL said:

I have never really dived into Thai food. I guess I feel like it's got a bad rep for just messing up a lot of people's stomachs.

I may have to give it a go

Messing up a lot of people's stomachs? Wow, never heard that one about Thai food!

Seriously, give it a go. For me, Thai cuisine is one of the best in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nudge said:

Messing up a lot of people's stomachs? Wow, never heard that one about Thai food!

Seriously, give it a go. For me, Thai cuisine is one of the best in the world.

Bunch of coconut and spices correct? I may be getting it confused with Indian food in terms of the stomach issues.

I eat a LOT of Cuban food. To me, nothing beats that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shanghai Noodles with XO sauce. There is a restaurant in Wollongong that will do you a large plate full for $11. My favorite lunch. Would kill a man for it.

But Jasmine Rice is the best Thai in my local area. Specials to die for, and their fish is so on point. More pricey though, but a great night out. Never tried making my own. I whip up a mean Blasian chicken and rice though. Coolios cookbook is the real deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ATL said:

Bunch of coconut and spices correct? I may be getting it confused with Indian food in terms of the stomach issues.

I eat a LOT of Cuban food. To me, nothing beats that.

Yes, a ot of Thai dishes uses coconut milk, especially curries. The key to Thai cuisine is balancing the five major tastes by combining various spices, herbs, sauces and pastes, so the flavour is very complex and rich. Lemongrass, kaffir lime, galangal, coriander, fish sauce, palm sugar, shrimp paste, chili peppers, garlic and basil are the essential ingredients.

 

What's Cuban food? Never had any!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

What's Cuban food? Never had any!

Oh man, we have some solid Cuban restaurants here.

Voca Frita is a Cuban dish consisting of fried and shredded skirt or flank steak. It is often topped with sauteed onions and served with rice and black beans

Platillo Moros y Cristianos is a famous Cuban dish served at virtually every Cuban restaurant. It is the Cuban version of rice and beans.

Arroz con gandules is a combination of rice, pigeon peas and pork, cooked in the same pot with Puerto Rican-style sofrito

Ox Tail Soup

Anything with Mojo sauce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since living on my own I have enjoyed cooking a lot more than I expected. I often just plough through cook books. At the moment I'm on the third Joe Wicks book. As I'm allergic to nuts I'm having to miss out on a lot of the interesting stuff (why does all the healthy crispy chicken recipes have to be made with almonds) but it's definitely been an interesting and enjoyable learning curve.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

Shanghai Noodles with XO sauce. There is a restaurant in Wollongong that will do you a large plate full for $11. My favorite lunch. Would kill a man for it.

But Jasmine Rice is the best Thai in my local area. Specials to die for, and their fish is so on point. More pricey though, but a great night out. Never tried making my own. I whip up a mean Blasian chicken and rice though. Coolios cookbook is the real deal

I'm extremely into seafood, so my favourite Thai is still Tom Yum Kung, it's a masterpiece...

Not that much into Chinese, but I love the local Chinese seafood restaurant, they offer brilliant crabs, fish, clams and mussels. Also Peking duck is always nice when prepared properly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Since living on my own I have enjoyed cooking a lot more than I expected. I often just plough through cook books. At the moment I'm on the third Joe Wicks book. As I'm allergic to nuts I'm having to miss out on a lot of the interesting stuff (why does all the healthy crispy chicken recipes have to be made with almonds) but it's definitely been an interesting and enjoyable learning curve.

Just substitute it with breadcrumbs :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

might sound a bit naff but i've experimented a lot with chicken and using different amounts of spices or sauces for the marinade. doesn't sound like anything special but this is coming from someone that would cook very little up until a couple of years ago. Much of that through laziness.

Recently made a very, very nice BBQ chicken and pasta dish. Think it was the best thing I've made apart from making a few pizzas for the family a few years ago xD 

I need to be a bit more adventurous in the kitchen, admittedly. If anyone knows of any simple recipes or simple dishes that can be cooked with some level of flexibility (i.e. nothing too strict, by the book etc) that'd be great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ATL said:

Oh man, we have some solid Cuban restaurants here.

Voca Frita is a Cuban dish consisting of fried and shredded skirt or flank steak. It is often topped with sauteed onions and served with rice and black beans

Platillo Moros y Cristianos is a famous Cuban dish served at virtually every Cuban restaurant. It is the Cuban version of rice and beans.

Arroz con gandules is a combination of rice, pigeon peas and pork, cooked in the same pot with Puerto Rican-style sofrito

Ox Tail Soup

Anything with Mojo sauce.

It's 'vaca frita' noob

Just fill me up with a solid Cuban hoagie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Spike said:

It's 'vaca frita' noob

Chris-Pratt-Middle-Finger.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be making Italian beef on the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SirBalon My wife is cooking spaghetti a la puttanesca and it always reminds me of you. Not because you're a whore (or maybe it is?) but because your wife is from Napoli.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Berserker

Doesn't Argentina have a sandwhich (is it a sanger?) with the odd name of 'milanesa a la napolitana'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Spike said:

@Berserker

Doesn't Argentina have a sandwhich (is it a sanger?) with the odd name of 'milanesa a la napolitana'?

We do have a food by that name, however Milanesa a la napolitana is not a sandwich, it's supposed to be eaten on a plate. Though there are Milanesa sandwiches typically with lettuce and tomato plus mayo, mostaza or whatever you like. Difference between normal Milanesas and the ones made " A la napolitana" is that the latter are somewhat cook like a pizza with mozzarella and tomato sauce.

Edited by Berserker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Berserker said:

We do have a food by that name, however Milanesa a la napolitana is not a sandwich, it's a food that you put on a plate. Though there are Milanesa sandwiches typically with lettuce and tomato plus mayo, mostaza or whatever you like. Difference between normal Milanesas and the ones made " A la napolitana" is that the the latter are somewhat cooked like a pizza with mozzarella and tomato sauce.

Ah, I see. I just remember the name being odd. 'Milan in the style of Napoli'. I'm sure a few Italians would give that an odd look. Your Milanese sounds like what we call 'Parmigiana' in the Anglosphere, which is just the typical 'Parmigiana' sometimes made with meat instead of aubergine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Spike said:

Ah, I see. I just remember the name being odd. 'Milan in the style of Napoli'. I'm sure a few Italians would give that an odd look. Your Milanese sounds like what we call 'Parmigiana' in the Anglosphere, which is just the typical 'Parmigiana' sometimes made with meat instead of aubergine.

Haha yeah. Your Parmigiana sounds in fact very similar, Milanesa can also be made with either meat, chicken or aubergine.

 

This kind of Parmigiana

 

chicken-parmigiana.jpg

 

Looks in fact like "Milanesa a la napolitana con fritas" a very popular and tasty local dish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Berserker said:

Haha yeah. Your Parmigiana sounds in fact very similar, Milanesa can also be made with either meat, chicken or aubergine.

 

This kind of Parmigiana

 

chicken-parmigiana.jpg

 

Looks in fact like "Milanesa a la napolitana con fritas" a very popular and tasty local dish.

You'd find something like that in just about every pub in Australia. I'd thanks to the Italians immigrants of the 50s. Even crazier is that Americans will put it on a toasted sandwhich, it's delicious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum

I'm cooking a lot lately, so I'll post anything unique that I cook up in here. Obviously not just rice and chicken, something "interesting" that way the thread isn't pointless.

Yesterday I cooked up some Com Tam as I mentioned, today is Brazilians finest. I'll have it up soon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement