talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

2 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Keep the silly GK transfers coming :ay:not that I believe Man Utd would let him go but if the market continues this way, a De Gea would most likely  break the record for the most expensive transfer.  Man utd managed to keep him away from what some consider the best club ever RM, keeping pogba away from Barcelona would be a cupcake. Especially after what far$e paid for the bust Dembele. Pogba is worth twice as much 😂 

You do realise if it wasn't for a certain fax machine, he'd be a Real Madrid player? 

• Haha 1

Serious question for @Redcanuck @Teso dos Bichos and any other United fans who frequent this board.

Years gone by, United would have a high percent success rate of getting the players they wanted.

I am sure you agree, since SAF has moved upstairs that percent rate has fallen by some way.

What do you put that down too? Cant be all down to Woodward taking over from Gill.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Is it a reliable report that Boateng would have been interested in going to United but he didn't want to play under Mourinho?

It seems Sky are saying the board want Maguire, Jose wants Boateng.

Some are saying Boateng is open to coming on loan and has spoken to Jose. others are saying as you question.

As Deadlinesman says, its a bit of a shocking state of affairs at Old Trafford these days, but a bit like how they report on Chelsea, the media have no real clue whats going on and tend to guess more than ever get anything 100% correct.

5 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

Serious question for @Redcanuck @Teso dos Bichos and any other United fans who frequent this board.

Years gone by, United would have a high percent success rate of getting the players they wanted.

I am sure you agree, since SAF has moved upstairs that percent rate has fallen by some way.

What do you put that down too? Cant be all down to Woodward taking over from Gill.

Many United fans blame Woodward, feeling that while he is great at the business end of the business, he is not a football man.  He has been either in charge or second behind Gill for 15 years, so if he is ever going to be a football man, he should have become one by now. They feel their is a need for D of F, which in this day and age with the size of the clubs isn't such a bad thing. The more capable people you have helping run the club, the better your chance of success. I am not sure the Glazer's see it that way, they seem to be content with Woodward in charge.

I honestly dont know what's up.  The money clubs are asking for average players is ridiculous. Other than Liverpool spending just over £150 million and Chelsea spending big on a keeper, nobody else spent big money.  Maybe United are curtailing their spending.

Though it could be something more sinister of course.  Perhaps the Glazer's feel Mourinho has spent enough money the last two years, around £350m, and want Mourinho and Woodward to justify United's previous spending before they trust the pair with more.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Many United fans blame Woodward, feeling that while he is great at the business end of the business, he is not a football man.  He has been either in charge or second behind Gill for 15 years, so if he is ever going to be a football man, he should have become one by now. They feel their is a need for D of F, which in this day and age with the size of the clubs isn't such a bad thing. The more capable people you have helping run the club, the better your chance of success. I am not sure the Glazer's see it that way, they seem to be content with Woodward in charge.

I honestly dont know what's up.  The money clubs are asking for average players is ridiculous. Other than Liverpool spending just over £150 million and Chelsea spending big on a keeper, nobody else spent big money.  Maybe United are curtailing their spending.

Though it could be something more sinister of course.  Perhaps the Glazer's feel Mourinho has spent enough money the last two years, around £350m, and want Mourinho and Woodward to justify United's previous spending before they trust the pair with more.

Chelsea spent more than just on a keeper. Jorginho was around £50m for a start. Arsenal have also added a fair few players and Utd spent a wedge on Fred. 

This myth that only Liverpool have spent is funny. 

Edited by LFCMadLad

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Chelsea spent more than just on a keeper. Jorginho was around £50m for a start. Arsenal have also added a fair few players and Utd spent a wedge on Fred. 

This myth that only Liverpool have spent is funny. 

Chelsea's net spending was £87m, take away the keeper and they spent about £16m. Arsenal's net spenting was around £60m, United's around £50m, Liverpool's was three times United's.  If you minus Chelsea's new keeper, the net spending of Liverpool pretty well equalled the total net spending of United, City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs combined.

It is not a shot at Liverpool, I have an admiration for their transfer window, it's the type of net spending they said that United were supposed to have and what I was expecting.   I am just trying to figure out why our net spending was about a third of what it was during Mourinho's first two years, and trying to answer the Liquidator's question.

Edited by Redcanuck
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Chelsea's net spending was £87m, take away the keeper and they spent about £16m. Arsenal's net spenting was around £60m, United's around £50m, Liverpool's was three times United's.  If you minus Chelsea's new keeper, the net spending of Liverpool pretty well equalled the total net spending of United, City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs combined.

It is not a shot at Liverpool, I have an admiration for their transfer window, it's the type of net spending they said that United were supposed to have and what I was expecting.   I am just trying to figure out why our net spending was about a third of what it was during Mourinho's first two years, and trying to answer the Liquidator's question.

Not being funny but if you are taking away what clubs have gained from sales against what they have spent, then we have basically spent absolutely nothing during the past 4 years.

If however you are just going on what clubs have spent this window then yes, we have spent a lot. Chelsea have as well though with their new keeper costing £71m and Jorginho costing around £50m. 

Arsenal have also brought in a fair few players and Fulham and Wolves especially have had the dodgiest transfer window ever. 

I'm not trying to say that Liverpool haven't gone all in this transfer window because obviously they have. But I think, along with most of our fans, think that Klopp deserves this splurge seeing as he's made a profit in every other window since he's been here, mainly from selling his best player along with Edwards being brilliant at selling our dead wood for extreme amounts of money. 

Interesting article in the Guardian stating.....

Godin - In reality an intermediary had contacted United a few days earlier asking whether they would be interested in Godin. United said they were happy to be kept informed. The next and final conversation was the intermediary telling United that Godin has signed a new contract.

Boateng - By United’s calculations he had simply missed too much football through injury over the last three years – playing no more than 19 league games in each season. United are wary of buying from Munich since their expensive misadventure with Bastian Schweinsteiger. To a lesser extent they feel that Owen Hargreaves also came to them in 2007 with the basis of what would become effectively a career-ending injury.

Alderweireld - There was no offer made at any point for Toby Alderweireld at Tottenhenham Hotspur, another one whom United felt that in the long-term would not materially improve their five centre-back options

Maguire - Harry Maguire was a genuine target although no progress was ever made with Leicester, and while it has proved impossible to change minds the softening of the club’s stance over time with Riyad Mahrez has given United some encouragement that it could be a long-term project.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

So the club discussed his value internally, asked a question and this translated into the player/club ‘snubbing’ United? As much as I’m disenchanted right now, I think it’s borderline becoming silly season with these none stories. I want to smash Michelle Keegan up the arse, but she can’t snub me if I don’t directly ask her.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

So the club discussed his value internally, asked a question and this translated into the player/club ‘snubbing’ United? As much as I’m disenchanted right now, I think it’s borderline becoming silly season with these none stories. I want to smash Michelle Keegan up the arse, but she can’t snub me if I don’t directly ask her.

to be fair, I didn't say there was an offer put in - just that they probably contacted Real Madrid to ask if he was available and they've said not for sale.