talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

19 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Interesting article in the Guardian stating.....

Godin - In reality an intermediary had contacted United a few days earlier asking whether they would be interested in Godin. United said they were happy to be kept informed. The next and final conversation was the intermediary telling United that Godin has signed a new contract.

Boateng - By United’s calculations he had simply missed too much football through injury over the last three years – playing no more than 19 league games in each season. United are wary of buying from Munich since their expensive misadventure with Bastian Schweinsteiger. To a lesser extent they feel that Owen Hargreaves also came to them in 2007 with the basis of what would become effectively a career-ending injury.

Alderweireld - There was no offer made at any point for Toby Alderweireld at Tottenhenham Hotspur, another one whom United felt that in the long-term would not materially improve their five centre-back options

Maguire - Harry Maguire was a genuine target although no progress was ever made with Leicester, and while it has proved impossible to change minds the softening of the club’s stance over time with Riyad Mahrez has given United some encouragement that it could be a long-term project.

Godin - honestly, that sounds like the agent trying to be able to say "look, I've been talking to United - look, here's my call history on my... they said they were "happy to be kept informed' - are you interested in selling him to United, he'd be interested in United's wages...." and Atletico then offering Godin more money. Happens all the time.

Boateng - I think it's a bit silly to be "wary of buying from Munich" because of Schweinsteiger (or Hargreaves, but Hargreaves had major injury issues in 2006 and United chose to sign him; that's not really Bayern's fault) - it's not that players from Munich are all going to be well passed it, just because Schweinsteiger was. Having said that... I think Boateng is well passed it. And as noted... he's got major injury problems that have lasted for 3 seasons. It wouldn't have been a good use of the money and would have posed a similar risk to those two.

Alderweireld - Obviously a great player, but would have been pretty expensive and not really a long term solution. And while it's all well and good trying to win things right fucking now, because as fans, that's all what everybody wants to see their club do... I think United have serious issues with the quality at the back and if they're going to be spending serious money, I think they'd want someone they can get at least 3-4 seasons of top quality in the position. Great player, but I don't think he'd be worth it to United.

Maguire - I'm honestly glad he didn't go to United, because after the World Cup... I like Maguire, even though I thought he was a bit poo before the tournament started xD - although I'm biased because I saw Salah tear him a few new arseholes and thought "wow he's getting bullied by our little Egyptian wizard, despite being much bigger." He's the type of signing that ticks all the right boxes for what I think United need. Quality, with the potential to get even better with age and experience, no history of injury issues, will most likely play there for years and years. Ultimately a better investment.

It ultimately makes sense on paper for United to go after Maguire and I'm sure they will in the near future. But I can't blame Leicester for telling United to fuck off after the other cunty, yet significantly less cunty, Manchester side took another of their key players. Sure, you could probably offer Leicester a hell of a lot of money they'd be mental to turn down... but at the same time, it would be real shite for them to lose Mahrez and Maguire - and while they'd have lots of money to rebuild, it's never ideal to replace 2 key players at once.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

I'm not sure Leicester really ever softened their stance on Mahrez but if they left it long enough to sell knowing he won't renew his contract you reach a point where the players value is going down, they don't want to be there and you need to move on. 

I don't know what Maguires contract situation is, I don't think we'll see this move happen in January, maybe next summer. If Mourinho is a memory by then though like many of us predict then United's targets could have completely changed again by then anyway.

The market was volatile this summer (it continues to be but for the Premier League it's now ended) with extreme difficulty to sign genuine top quality.

Manchester United are no longer just part of a three or four dominating European brand name clique.  The potential to sign top names has expanded club wise and there's also the factor of spending wisely which on this particular detail I can see that Manchester United have been burned with severe scars in terms of losing a lot of money by acquiring either the wrong players or that United haven't had the right coach for what they've been searching to achieve since Sir Alex Ferguson stepped down.

On the difficulty of signing the top names and just leaning on your brand name to do the hard work while stomping up the cash, look at what happened to Barça with Antoine Griezmann!  The Griezmann deal had a verbal agreement since last year (note: LAST YEAR) and to prove this, Barça kept the number 7 shirt available since Arda Turan left the club even when Philippe Coutinho arrived and would've chosen that particular number... Coutinho had to settle for Cruyff's legendary 14 which is no small acquisition at Barça.... To cut a long story short, Griezmann chose to stay at Atlético Madrid which I can guarantee you would never have happened before if we'd turned the club back merely 3 or 4 years.

Look at Real Madrid and the difficulty of getting either or both of Neymar Jr and/or Kylian Mbappé!  It turned into an impossibility although FC Barcelona could've provided an extensive portfolio of 4 to 5 years worth of trying to bend PSG's hand without success in a case such as this.  But still, we're talking about a club created in the 1970s where Paris Saint-Germain is concerned and Ligue1 versus La Liga.

Also the power we have in the Premier League with clubs that haven't even been able to win silverware in the shape of Tottenham Hotspur... How difficult is it to lure their players away?  We're no longer just talking about flashing a perverse amount of cash but that we must also take note that brand names MUST be maintained to the highest possible measures without errors so as to create an aura of unequivocal appeal.

Finally... Real Madrid have won 3 Champions Leagues in a row and yet their insignia player decided enough was enough to depart to Serie 'A', with the coach that achieved this resigning, to another player (Kovačić) saying "up yours, staying at Real because it's Real just isn't enough" and their best player for five years Luka Modrić begging to leave to Internazionale.

Times have changed in a very short space of time and Manchester United have made TOO MANY MISTAKES!

According to Bristol Post, Willian is heading to Real Madrid and Jose wants Anthony Martial gone.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/uk-sport-news/chelsea-transfer-news-willian-madrid-1923594

And with Pogba clearly unhppy with where he is, the Man U squad is going to be one depleted unit, as you cant dd players, only sell them since the transfer window's closed.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-transfers-live-pogba-15057765

Can see Willian gone but I don't think to United at this point. Feel that ship has sailed. 

Willian just doesn't fit in Sarri's football. With his slow decision making and inability to actually perform on a consistent basis. Would very much like to see the back of him and Odoi get more game time. 

27 minutes ago, AMG said:

According to Bristol Post, Willian is heading to Real Madrid and Jose wants Anthony Martial gone.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/uk-sport-news/chelsea-transfer-news-willian-madrid-1923594

And with Pogba clearly unhppy with where he is, the Man U squad is going to be one depleted unit, as you cant dd players, only sell them since the transfer window's closed.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-transfers-live-pogba-15057765

I really dont expect to see either Martial or Pogba leave this month.   Like you say it would seriously deplete the squad,  plus there are stories today that Martial wants to stay and fight for his spot.  As for Pogba, United can't afford to let him leave, he is too important on and off the field.

3 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

I really dont expect to see either Martial or Pogba leave this month.   Like you say it would seriously deplete the squad,  plus there are stories today that Martial wants to stay and fight for his spot.  As for Pogba, United can't afford to let him leave, he is too important on and off the field.

Yeah, sure looked like it at the weekend  :ph34r: ~ How long left on his contract?

I very much doubt any top club in England will allow players to leave unless they have no future at the club.

Martial has one more year plus a club option for another year, which they have said they will activate.

Just pointing out that on any football related issue, the British press will claim both sides of the fence.  So how do you know which one to believe?  Might make for good reading I guess and sells papers, but I am old enough to remenber seeing them hanging in the outside loos.

40 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Martial has one more year plus a club option for another year, which they have said they will activate.

Just pointing out that on any football related issue, the British press will claim both sides of the fence.  So how do you know which one to believe?  Might make for good reading I guess and sells papers, but I am old enough to remenber seeing them hanging in the outside loos.

You have to evaluate the writer and his standing within the football club or Player he is reporting on.

Belgium reporter was way ahead of the news that De bruyne was out for months, so much so, his name was used as the source on SSN.

Then you have someone working for the Star Or Sun, and they write in riddles covering all stations like a poor weatherman.

Best source is the clubs website... They maybe late with a story, but you can be sure its true..... Mainly 9_9

@Teso dos Bichos mourinho has had more than enough money. Apart from man city or psg he won't get more backing than at utd. He's just making excuses so when he goes he doesn't look so bad. But everyone has figured him out now and knows he does this. 

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

"Martial has said he wants to stay and fight for his job" i.e. someone, probably Pogba, is guaranteeing Martial that the manager will be gone by this time next year so he'll have a fresh start with a new coach. 

Could be,  I imagine Martial who is under contract til 2020 if the club picks up its option, figures he can outlast Mourinho.

I know there's been a lot of criticism of Mourinho and rightly so in terms of style of play, throwing players under the bus etc etc.

But what's the view on Woodward? Surely he can't be with a job for too much longer either?

As someone who has overseen the transition from Alex Ferguson, the lack of continuity has been amazing. I know Ferguson probably had a large hand in getting Moyes the job, but they have gone from a manager best known for rapid wing play, an attacking mentality where players can play technically sound long balls and a short passing game as well...to a manager who'd never won anything, was known for his pretty boring but resilient Everton sides, to a manager who's philosophy was to pass the ball around the pitch but lacked direction and attacking intent, back to a manager who's known for resilient football, albeit with a lot more league titles to his name, and general defensive and direct/physical play. There has been an amazing lack of continuity at the club.

Youre meant to be appointing a DoF, is that Woodward instructed or part of a greater change including him? How has Ferguson influenced the previous managerial selections if at all?

There's no way you appoint a DoF to set up a defensive based, physical, attackingly restrictive football brand of football. Has a DoF actually been interviewed/set up or is it just rumour at the moment?

42 minutes ago, Danny said:

I know there's been a lot of criticism of Mourinho and rightly so in terms of style of play, throwing players under the bus etc etc.

But what's the view on Woodward? Surely he can't be with a job for too much longer either?

As someone who has overseen the transition from Alex Ferguson, the lack of continuity has been amazing. I know Ferguson probably had a large hand in getting Moyes the job, but they have gone from a manager best known for rapid wing play, an attacking mentality where players can play technically sound long balls and a short passing game as well...to a manager who'd never won anything, was known for his pretty boring but resilient Everton sides, to a manager who's philosophy was to pass the ball around the pitch but lacked direction and attacking intent, back to a manager who's known for resilient football, albeit with a lot more league titles to his name, and general defensive and direct/physical play. There has been an amazing lack of continuity at the club.

Youre meant to be appointing a DoF, is that Woodward instructed or part of a greater change including him? How has Ferguson influenced the previous managerial selections if at all?

There's no way you appoint a DoF to set up a defensive based, physical, attackingly restrictive football brand of football. Has a DoF actually been interviewed/set up or is it just rumour at the moment?

Woodward is very good at business end of the club, he has trippled the sponsorship for example. He is the Glazer's man, he makes them an incredible amount of money. It was Woodward who put together the leverage buy out of the club, there's no chance he will be let go. He maybe left to concentrate strictly on financial matters if they hire a Director of Football.

There was talk of hiring a Director of Football, somebody to handle all the football matters outside of the on the field responsibilities of the manager.  However, the club seems to have backtracked a bit and the talk now is of hiring a technical director. 

I imagine not hiring a DOF, would leave dealing with transfers in Woodward's hands and that's been one of the problems. It would also stop most of the top people from applying since they might be interested in being a DOF but not a technical director.

4 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

Woodward is very good at business end of the club, he has trippled the sponsorship for example. He is the Glazer's man, he makes them an incredible amount of money. It was Woodward who put together the leverage buy out of the club, there's no chance he will be let go. He maybe left to concentrate strictly on financial matters if they hire a Director of Football.

There was talk of hiring a Director of Football, somebody to handle all the football matters outside of the on the field responsibilities of the manager.  However, the club seems to have backtracked a bit and the talk now is of hiring a technical director. 

I imagine not hiring a DOF, would leave dealing with transfers in Woodward's hands and that's been one of the problems. It would also stop most of the top people from applying since they might be interested in being a DOF but not a technical director.

Do you think the United's fans reaction to Jose leaving the pitch saved his job and is that reaction with the majority of United fans?

Seems to me the ones who wouldnt have applauded him had already left the ground?

4 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

Do you think the United's fans reaction to Jose leaving the pitch saved his job and is that reaction with the majority of United fans?

Seems to me the ones who wouldnt have applauded him had already left the ground?

I don't think that would have stopped him from getting fired if the Board had already made their mind .

Not really sure how full the staduim was at the time,  but the South Stand that was applauding Mourinho looked pretty full.  

• Subscriber
52 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

I don't think that would have stopped him from getting fired if the Board had already made their mind .

Not really sure how full the staduim was at the time,  but the South Stand that was applauding Mourinho looked pretty full.  

I just think they understand Mourinho's frustrations? He's been let down by the club, whilst his main title challengers continue to strengthen.

20 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

I just think they understand Mourinho's frustrations? He's been let down by the club, whilst his main title challengers continue to strengthen.

Josh, from a neutrals point of view, how far along do you think Jose's current team is to being a Premier League contender?