talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wilfried Zaha - Chelsea & Spurs Linked

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Stan said:

The reasoning of valuing him at 80m is to put clubs off buying him so that they're either made to look like absolute mugs paying it or they back off and find other targets which means Palace keep their man. 

I completely understand why Palace are doing it, they're not in question here. They own the player's contract and he is worth a lot to them considering their status. My issue is with suitors and their reasoning.

let me go further to say how absolutely mental this would all be...

There is NO OTHER CLUB interested in signing him for real. So why the hell would we begin a transfer war with ourselves?

Nah... Just can't be true! Must be total typical speculation from the papers.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, True Blue said:

70 mill for a player they don't need? Do it Arsenal.

I would love if they do it.

Just means their fans become even more rattled with their supposed 'transfer policy' and further means they spend majority, if not all, of their transfer budget on a player they don't need. Their defence is still utterly shite. 

We have no wingers in our squad, its a massive priority this summer we bring at least one in and I think we need a second. Whether or not Zaha is worth it or is the player to improve us is an understandable criticism, but to say we don't need a player with his profile is nonsense. 

I understand the defence is a bigger issue, but we seriously lacked any sort of balance last season. At least with added width it should create a better balance across the pitch and in turn hopefully improve our defence. Not to mention we are looking for a new CB and LB. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

We have no wingers in our squad, its a massive priority this summer we bring at least one in and I think we need a second. Whether or not Zaha is worth it or is the player to improve us is an understandable criticism, but to say we don't need a player with his profile is nonsense. 

I understand the defence is a bigger issue, but we seriously lacked any sort of balance last season. At least with added width it should create a better balance across the pitch and in turn hopefully improve our defence. Not to mention we are looking for a new CB and LB. 

Do you even play with out and out wingers though? Or is it just that you've been putting square pegs in round holes? 

Even if you did need a winger as some kind of priority, Zaha isn't the answer and definitely not for the amounts quoted either. 

A winger isn't unneeded. We have decent young players there like Iwobi, who is great up until the final ball, and Reiss Nelson who is too inexperienced. In terms of someone who can be relied upon to make more of a difference in that position, Zaha would fit the bill. Now, is that a £70m problem? No.

Peronally I think we should concentrate on a replacement for Ramsey and a RB more before we talk about a winger.

38 minutes ago, Stan said:

Do you even play with out and out wingers though? Or is it just that you've been putting square pegs in round holes? 

Even if you did need a winger as some kind of priority, Zaha isn't the answer and definitely not for the amounts quoted either. 

No we don't play with out and out wingers because we don't have any. It was a massive issue for me last year, we were having to play Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan and Iwobi there and for me they are all central players. It meant we rarely could play four at the back consistently which lead to a lot of chop and changing at the back. This is why in the end we just stuck to three at the back, but even that eventually flaked out due to glaring holes evident as soon as Ramsey went down injured. 

I think we need to go back to a wide formation such as a 4-3-3 because we just don't have the capabilities especially defensively to play a 2 striker formation. Which is also why I'd be more than happy to sell Lacazette to get he players required. 

Zaha’s signing demands way too much out of our resources and he is NOT at that level. I’m not one of those fans that don’t care what the club spends considering who owns us and our contemporary history in this question.

It’s a fucking stupid move. One that smells of everything we’ve been about for a decade or so. It all seems so desperate once again.

Relying on the value anything playing in the Premier League is absolutely mental and totally incorrect. Look at what Man City have just signed and the price paid with Rodri from Atlético Madrid.

Ask yourself this question... Why haven’t  any of the giants of Europe shown any interest considering the sums they’re spending.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Zaha’s signing demands way too much out of our resources and he is NOT at that level. I’m not one of those fans that don’t care what the club spends considering who owns us and our contemporary history in this question.

It’s a fucking stupid move. One that smells of everything we’ve been about for a decade or so. It all seems so desperate once again.

Relying on the value anything playing in the Premier League is absolutely mental and totally incorrect. Look at what Man City have just signed and the price paid with Rodri from Atlético Madrid.

Ask yourself this question... Why haven’t  any of the giants of Europe shown any interest considering the sums they’re spending.

If any other big team were interested we would have no chance of getting him. I will say anything over £45-50m would be far too much, especially with the wages he would command but I actually think he is one of our better targets in recent years. 

I will say one market we have failed to attack is the Premier league market, although it can be a lot more expensive it really pays to have Premier league ready players in your team. Pretty much every player from other leagues tends to take a year or two to adjust apart from a few outliers. Although someone like Malcolm or Sarr would be cheaper options, there would be even lesser guarenteed with them for me. 

Tbf I think Zaha is great and if he made a move to a top club I think he’d be a big success. He’s a better player than he was when he came and left United.

I do think he’s very expensive (but he’s worth more to Palace than anyone else I think, so that’s why they want a lot for him), and there are cheaper options out there on the continent. 

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

O.o

If anything, this is the opposite to what we've done over the last 10 years or ever. £70m for a player who doesn't have much international recognition and plays for a team that battles relegation.

This is us entering into the new and insane Premier League era.

On 03/07/2019 at 17:38, RandoEFC said:

*Apparently* they've enquired about Ademola Lookman contingent on Arsenal completing a deal for Zaha so it might not be out of the question.

We tried to sign Ademola Lookman the transfer window before he joined you guys. Charlton wanted twelve million for a player who had made ten appearances so we buckled. I always thought he would do well here.

If I was Arsenal, I'd go sign Nathan Ake from Bournemouth.

He'll be coming into his prime years soon, experienced in the Premier League, very athletic for a centre back, comfortable on the ball which seems a necessity for the modern day centre back now, and they could bag him for around £25 to £30m. 

Then they have filled a vital position with half their money for the next player in their back pocket.

It really is that simple.

Wilfried Zaha when directly asked to comment on the Arsenal interest and whether he will be making the move from South to North London;

"We'll see"

Not much there but it's enough for to take various things into consideration and come to conclusions that shouldn't be far off the mark,

Arsenal Football Club have definitely spoken to the player personally, there is force being executed from the interested parties being the club that wants to sign and the player that with that simple two word statement tells us he wants to leave.

A Decoy

Another thing that comes to mind for is that approach from Arsenal on Lucas Vázquez of Real Madrid. Sources in Spain (journalists that know their Real Madrid stuff) have guaranteed that Arsenal have 100% enquired about the availability of the player and the first public release on that interest came from the British media which means Arsenal leaked it and is a decoy to add further pressure and more importantly see how Crystal Palace react by testing the waters on various levels.

All typical games played on the continent when looking to try to sign a footballer that is very tied up at his present club.

I for one don't get it... Either I've been on a different planet for a while and see Zaha as a typical overrated Premier League player that's decent but nothing special or if I'm right, then it just goes along with everything that's been occurring at Arsenal for many years now. Desperation, a headless run at experiments that turn out to be expensive and very destructive due to our wage and contract situation. The fact Aaron Ramsey departed in the manner he did with the contract renewal fiasco (add to that the saga the previous summer with the renwals of Alexis and Özil) adds more weight to my argument.

Ask yourself why absolutely no club on the continent has shown interest in Wilfried Zaha.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.97e4039bbdb3205a49943f90251ac01b.png

Arsenal is prepared to add defenders Calum Chambers, 24, Carl Jenkinson, 27, or midfielder Mohamed Elneny, 26, into any potential deal for Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha. The Gunners have already had a £40m offer for the 26-year-old rejected. (Mirror)

9 hours ago, 6666 said:

I'd rather keep Chambers and have Elneny as a backup and just move on from Zaha.

I'd happily let both go, especially Elneny he is absolutely fucking horrendous. Not sure why Palace would take either of them though, maybe Chambers but not sure they'd match his wages. 

• Subscriber

Arsenal should go for Ismaila Sarr from Rennes, should've gone for Raphael Guerreiro who has gone to PSG relatively cheaply, should've gotten Hector Herrera in to replace Ramsey, and as for sorting the defence, well that's beyond me, I can only go so far but I'm not a rocket scientest.

• The title was changed to Wilfried Zaha - Chelsea & Spurs Linked
  • The topic was locked

Archived