talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group G Matchday 1 - 18th June - Belgium 3-0 Panama, Tunisia 1-2 England

football forum

Wasn't much creativity in the team especially in the second half. It all turned into "cross it into the box". Set pieces saved us. Dele Alli, Lingard & Sterling were shit. Kane did what he needed to do and got a couple of nice tap ins, Trippier was good as well. Other than those 2 it was either meh or crap.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

That was a mixture of the new likeable England and the old classic tournament England for sure, but hardly anyone has been convincing in this first set of fixtures and the three points are what matters so I'll take it.

29 minutes ago, Danny said:

Loftus-Cheek needs to start, Alli and Lingard are too similar. Only player who can really beat a man and create from midfield.

Second half was dull, Southgate needs to address that drop in quality. But overall, we should have had two penalties and could have scored a couple in the first half so it was a deserved win and on another day could have been a 2-3 goal win.

This, lingard is the opposite of Clinical he should have had 3-4 in the first half. I’d start Loftus-cheek against Panama as that’s the gimmie fixture in this group. 

Overall im pleased with the result & performance you have to build in tournament football. Some teams peak to soon I can definitely see us making the quarters based on that

Good to get the winner, after a decent display. Alleviates the pressure that would have undoubtedly come if they had not have won. Barring a horrshow v Panama, England should be through now. If Belgium beat Tunisia then I can see the last game being a bit of an anticlimax, personally I'd really want to avoid Colombia but Poland and Senegal are decent too.

Very impressed with Henderson tonight, was really composed and created a lot. Kane brilliant with the two goals but was largely not involved which was a bit concerning, he's a lot more than just tap in striker and hopefully can become more integrated in the attack as a whole. Maguire settled down in the second half, so perhaps dropping him would be harsh, but I'd be inclined to give Sterling the boot.

• Subscriber
Just now, DeadLinesman said:

Quelle surprise. Lingard getting hammered for missed chances and no issues with Sterling not turning up.....

From who?

Think it’s been widely recognised that a sterling had a shocker

Also fair to say Lingard nearly cost us this game with his shocking finishing - got to do better at this level. 

Both have a lot to work on

2 minutes ago, Storts said:

Harry Kane quite possibly the greatest footballer of all time.

Every time I think I can’t love him any more he does something special like that 

Fuck club rivalry. One harry kane there's only one Harry Kane 

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

Quelle surprise. Lingard getting hammered for missed chances and no issues with Sterling not turning up.....

You must not have been looking at the topic at half time 😂

4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Fuck club rivalry. One harry kane there's only one Harry Kane 

Club colours are now part and parcel of international football.

What if I were to tell you that there were a considerable minority in Spain (including some in the media) that wanted Spain to lose during the three international tournament victories in a row!  Could you believe that?

Its true!

Just now, SirBalon said:

Club colours are now part and parcel of international football.

What if I were to tell you that there were a considerable minority in Spain (including some in the media) that wanted Spain to lose during the three international tournament victories in a row?  Could you believe that?

Its true!

Not for everyone. I don't care who scores. The world cup is the pinical 

12 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Dele Alli mainly getting a free pass. We have attacking midfielders in the squad who have never played well for England. xD

I don't know how any England supporter can be anything other than positive after that. Any other day it's 4-0, no easy games in a WC as England have found out before (Algeria, USA etc) and this WC has also proven that multiple times after not even one round of matches!

Surprised at the amount of people that think the Walker incident was a penalty, never for me and Kane should have had two. I've hated VAR since day 1 and still don't see the point in it. It'll never work in football, it's so different to every other sport where it works successfully.

Sterling poor and getting the flack, but Ali, Lingard and Rashford just as wasteful. Kane just knows where the back of the net is, ice cold finisher, which is invaluable. 

I thought Henderson was good too, but Trippier my MOTM.

• The title was changed to Group G Matchday 1 - 18th June - Belgium 3-0 Panama, Tunisia 1-2 England
1 minute ago, 6666 said:

Dele Alli mainly getting a free pass. We have attacking midfielders in the squad who have never played well for England. xD

Good shout as well. Wasn’t on about here necessarily, I’ve seen FOYM and another post hammer Sterling, but that was about it. At least Lingards movement was decent, although agreed he was poor in front of goal. Sterling was just absolute shite all over the shop.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Think he was pretty good for 30 mins when England were on top, obviously struggled after injury - so think he will get a pass for that as it was obviously hampering him, but I do agree he needs to perform better on the whole for England 

• Subscriber

I thought Sterling, Alli, Lingard all linked up well early on, good pressing to start with as well. Alli set up the missed sitters for Lingard and Sterling. Alli picked up a knock, Lingard had an off day in front of goal, Sterling had a poor game in general for me but it happens. I think the bigger issue with the attack is that fresh legs were needed sooner, especially if Alli wasn't at 100%. Loftus-Cheek for Alli at half-time perhaps then Rashford on for either Sterling or Lingard if that didn't have the required impact.

2 minutes ago, Storts said:

Think he was pretty good for 30 mins when England were on top, obviously struggled after injury - so think he will get a pass for that as it was obviously hampering him, but I do agree he needs to perform better on the whole for England 

If he was that badly injured, why keep him on?

10 minutes ago, Marc said:

I don't know how any England supporter can be anything other than positive after that. Any other day it's 4-0, no easy games in a WC as England have found out before (Algeria, USA etc) and this WC has also proven that multiple times after not even one round of matches!

Surprised at the amount of people that think the Walker incident was a penalty, never for me and Kane should have had two. I've hated VAR since day 1 and still don't see the point in it. It'll never work in football, it's so different to every other sport where it works successfully.

Sterling poor and getting the flack, but Ali, Lingard and Rashford just as wasteful. Kane just knows where the back of the net is, ice cold finisher, which is invaluable. 

We won that's  all that matters. We'e already done better than  the set world cup. We'r not gonna win it but have some decent players coming through

9 minutes ago, Marc said:

We won that's  all that matters. We'e already done better than  the set world cup

• The topic was unpinned

Archived