talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Sunday 1st July - Spain 1-1(p) Russia

football forum

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spain had no spark of creativity once, in this game. They started to look better once Andrés came in, but they had no ideas to get past the Russian wall.

Credit to Russia must be given. That was the only way they could have advanced this tie and they did it. 

For me, the next champion will come out of the harder side of the draw. Uruguay, France, Brazil and Belgium are better than all the teams in the other side.

My pick, at this moment, are Brazil.

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

In all seriousness, I think Brazil have this at a canter. They must be pissing themselves.

But you've now got a highly unexpected finalist.

I´m not that confident about Brazil. Last time we played good football in a World Cup was in 2002.

Since then, and this World Cup is no exception, we´ve been living of our tradition,. The football showed on the pitch by Brazil is poor.

Thankfully we don't need to hear those shit Spanish accents anymore. They are as bad as the Chilean accent.

:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I´m not that confident about Brazil. Last time we played good football in a World Cup was in 2002.

Since then, and this World Cup is no exception, we´ve been living of our tradition,. The football showed on the pitch by Brazil is poor.

Remember when 'jogo bonito' made people think that tricks are better than playing the team game? It is the doom of your people gaving such high standards in all aspects. 

3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

This is true.

However, you know how to do it historically. This will be a decisive factor, when the moment of decisions arrive.

Just now, Berserker said:

Fucking shit, this was the easiest WC to win in a long time, had we went through i think we would have won it.

nah ur too shit. essentially australia with Messi but even then Australia kept the ball better. Jedi>Masch

9 minutes ago, Spike said:

nah ur too shit. essentially australia with Messi but even then Australia kept the ball better. Jedi>Masch

Doesn't matter, you can win being shit by just being lucky or having a good match you koala-shagging cunt.

1 minute ago, Berserker said:

Doesn't matter, you can win being shit by just being lucky or having a good match you koala-shagging cunt.

Maybe with Sabella. 

Sampaoli's lineups were getting out of control. From his obsessiveness with Meza, his odd dislike for your best midfielder in Lo Celso. From starting two wing backs in a back three, to starting Messi at ST. 

If you would of beaten France, he'd probably put Rojo at striker. 

2 minutes ago, Berserker said:

best player in the world - only marginally better than the worst teams in the comp

oh am i laffin at fartgentina

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

No-one else has either though.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Remember when 'jogo bonito' made people think that tricks are better than playing the team game? It is the doom of your people gaving such high standards in all aspects. 

This is a good point, Spike. Yes, most people, myself included hold Brazil to higher standards. This is true. I guess my point is that many foreigners see in Brazil something that it isn´t. Even the 2002 side, that wasn´t as magnific as most think. They played 2 good matches in that World Cup, against England and Germany. But against Belgium we were almost eliminated and the referee aided us. There is a lot of nostalgia regarding that team, but most their games were terrible to watch. 

Brazil has fallen behind in terms of coaching. There´s no job security for coaches in brazilian club football, if a team loses 3 straight matches, a coach is fired. This built a cycle of conservatism and defensiv approach in our coaches. Experienced players and physical midfielders are prefered. This is why I´m so excited about Arthur, I hope this is the first step in changing the way brazilian midfields are built.

Spain is the opposite, I think they end up being hostages of their way of playing. Too comfortable with the ball and not enough risk taking. Other than Isco, they weren´t trying to dribble, shoot and give a risky pass in the final third. 

11 minutes ago, ASF said:

This is true.

However, you know how to do it historically. This will be a decisive factor, when the moment of decisions arrive.

Yes, the tradition counts. But I don´t think this will be a factor tomorrow. Mexico is used to play against us and generally, they don´t show any fear for us. 

• The title was changed to Round of 16 - Sunday 1st July - Spain 1-1(p) Russia
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived