talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Health and Fitness

football forum

20 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

How are those of you who exercise regularly getting on?

Great. 60-90 minutes cardio three times a week. 200 press-ups every other day. Sometimes some dumbbell training. Feeling good. 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Great. 60-90 minutes cardio three times a week. 200 press-ups every other day. Sometimes some dumbbell training. Feeling good. 

That’s good. I had a break over Christmas.

Just starting again with the basics, I’ve never gone to the gym in my life but I’m considering it this year. To maintain a health and balanced lifestyle you don’t need a gym anyway, but I just want to try it out.

I’ve always been naturally good with cardio and I’m back in the swing doing a few miles every few days. However I’ve started the more physical side now, only baby steps… and you’re right what you said in the other topic regarding push-ups. I started managing 20 the other day and I’ve never done them.. few days later into the 30s now. I know that’s nothing but when you’ve hardly ever done them in your life before.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoshBRFC said:

That’s good. I had a break over Christmas.

Just starting again with the basics, I’ve never gone to the gym in my life but I’m considering it this year. To maintain a health and balanced lifestyle you don’t need a gym anyway, but I just want to try it out.

I’ve always been naturally good with cardio and I’m back in the swing doing a few miles every few days. However I’ve started the more physical side now, only baby steps… and you’re right what you said in the other topic regarding push-ups. I started managing 20 the other day and I’ve never done them.. few days later into the 30s now. I know that’s nothing but when you’ve hardly ever done them in your life before.

Ever since I was a teenager I was a bit on the chubby side. Once in my mid 20's I weight almost 100kg. Then I started working out and lost a lot of weight, but was still a bit chubby-ish as you can see on the pictures of the forum meet-up we have somewhere around here. But when the first lockdown started and I started to gain weight again, I started working out seriously, and without breaking my workout routine. Now for the first time in my life I am quite athletic. Feels good and comes with so many benefits. Better mental health, more confidence etc. 

I could never do more than 20 push-ups as well. But if you stick with it your body improves and adapts so quickly. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Ever since I was a teenager I was a bit on the chubby side. Once in my mid 20's I weight almost 100kg. Then I started working out and lost a lot of weight, but was still a bit chubby-ish as you can see on the pictures of the forum meet-up we have somewhere around here. But when the first lockdown started and I started to gain weight again, I started working out seriously, and without breaking my workout routine. Now for the first time in my life I am quite athletic. Feels good and comes with so many benefits. Better mental health, more confidence etc. 

I could never do more than 20 push-ups as well. But if you stick with it your body improves and adapts so quickly. 

You had a forum meet up? Where was that? Did you get any feet pictures? Asking for a friend @MUFC.

I would never have thought you weighed 100kg more than you currently do, you look well in all the pics I’ve seen. 

• Wow 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

You had a forum meet up? Where was that? Did you get any feet pictures? Asking for a friend @MUFC.

Many years ago in Germany still from the "old" forum. SchalkeUK was there, liverbird, Relling, that polish guy Kloppische, Panflute, that unique Canadian we once had (Tonio or something). 

MUFC was not around back then, thankfully. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Many years ago in Germany still from the "old" forum. SchalkeUK was there, liverbird, Relling, that polish guy Kloppische, Panflute, that unique Canadian we once had (Tonio or something). 

MUFC was not around back then, thankfully. :ph34r:

Sounds good. Liverbird - what a woman she is. I see her pop up from time to time on Instagram, very nice and likeable person. Would love to get a new meet up planned. :D 

Edited by JoshBRFC

• 4 weeks later...

What would you say is the biggest perk of having good fitness levels? Got to a stage of Insanity where I'm really in my element and going hell for leather the whole workout. The biggest bonus of being really fit is the amount of semen you produce when ejaculating. When your fitness levels are high, you really do create a mini pond. 

• Haha 1

On 09/03/2022 at 06:35, MUFC said:

What would you say is the biggest perk of having good fitness levels? Got to a stage of Insanity where I'm really in my element and going hell for leather the whole workout. The biggest bonus of being really fit is the amount of semen you produce when ejaculating. When your fitness levels are high, you really do create a mini pond. 

I don't think making my GF choke is the biggest boon. 

I do think increased T levels and serotonin is great, in the short term. 

Long term, the extra T and bone density you build, which then diminishes more slowly from a greater store, thus keeping you healthy and mobile for longer into your old age is a wonderful and overlooked benefit. You'll have less osteo, and be capable of greater levels of activity into your old age. Exercise really is the fountain of youth, or as close as we've got. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a massive fat fuck and I need to get in better shape before I collapsed dead in my late 30’s. 

Any suggestions for exercises for a 22+ST man to start off with and slowly build to more. I don’t want to do too much too soon and lose motivation to do it everyday. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I’m a massive fat fuck and I need to get in better shape before I collapsed dead in my late 30’s. 
Any suggestions for exercises for a 22+ST man to start off with and slowly build to more. I don’t want to do too much too soon and lose motivation to do it everyday. 

Exercise is merely 30% of it. Your diet is 70%. 

What are your goals exactly? Fat loss or lowering your body fat whilst gaining muscle?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Exercise is merely 30% of it. Your diet is 70%. 

What are your goals exactly? Fat loss or lowering your body fat whilst gaining muscle?

Fat loss along with building muscle. I want to be able to fit into a large t shirt 

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Fat loss along with building muscle. I want to be able to fit into a large t shirt 

Find out your caloric intake. Aim to hit 300-500 calories below that for fat loss, whilst keeping your protein high for muscle building. (0.8 grams of protein per KG of body weight). Start weighing yourself every day for progress, and because your weight fluctuates throughout the week, find the average weight of that week. Then subtract that weeks average weight to the following week's average weight. You'll get an idea of how much true fat you are losing. (Have a cheat meal once every other week)

Find a weight lifting program that works for you, with the mindset of having your next workout better than the previous (IE using more weight or more reps). 

Then, its just consistency. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Find out your caloric intake. Aim to hit 300-500 calories below that for fat loss, whilst keeping your protein high for muscle building. (0.8 grams of protein per KG of body weight). Start weighing yourself every day for progress, and because your weight fluctuates throughout the week, find the average weight of that week. Then subtract that weeks average weight to the following week's average weight. You'll get an idea of how much true fat you are losing. (Have a cheat meal once every other week)

Find a weight lifting program that works for you, with the mindset of having your next workout better than the previous (IE using more weight or more reps). 

Then, its just consistency. 

Cheers mate, I’ll get to work on it. 

On 12/03/2022 at 01:45, Rick said:

Cheers mate, I’ll get to work on it. 

I think Cicero's advice is a little specific and involved at this stage of your journey. 

I'd recommend starting with walking more. Chose to walk every time that you have a choice between a 20-30 min walk or a 5 min drive. Try to walk for 20 minutes before or after dinner. 

As for food (which is the most important part) I always recommend starting with the following 3 tips. 

1. Stop drinking your calories. At all. Milk in your tea or coffee is it. No soda, no milkshakes, no juices. You can have up to 2 cans of zero sugar soda per day(to start). The rest of it should be water, sparkling water, tea, coffee, and no added sugar cordials. No energy drinks, sugar or no. 

2. Think about what you're eating before you eat it. Writing a food diary at dinner time is very helpful here, but if you can't do that, just think about what you ate. Did it bring you shame or guilt? Did it seem excessive? Consider that a normal person eats 200-2500 calories per day, where do you think your day was at in terms of calories? Thinking about food is way underrated and leads to long term changes. 

3. Don't eat after dinner. Nothing. Nada. No snacks, no fruit, no non water drinks. 

Do these 3 really simple things for a month, plus the walking. None of these steps involve any kind of real sacrifice, but combined they're worth noticeable weight. If you can't do these things, making proper lifestyle changes later on will be hard. Once you've done all this for a month or so, I'd recommend counting your calories on an app, for just 1 week. It's a bitch, but do it. It'll give you a great idea of where you're at at that time. From there, reduce your portion sizes, limit snacks, limit eating out to twice a week ect ect. And then go to the gym, whish is a whole new kettle of fish. 

A couple things to be wary off. 

Don't start running or jogging. You're 22st, you'll injure yourself, or at best, be in pain and uncomfortable as fuck. Rowing or stairmaster for you my friend. 

Lifting weight is an excellent idea long term, but i'd first focus your energy on losing weight. Working out is actually outrageously inefficient at burning calories compared to cardio. Once you're hitting the gym 3 times a week for cardio, you've lost some good weight and are eating healthier, THEN I'd recommend starting to hit the weights. 

• Upvote 1

I'm trying to cycle to work. It doesn't really take me any longer because of traffic and it is a good way to loose a few pounds and it's good for mental health 

23 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm trying to cycle to work. It doesn't really take me any longer because of traffic and it is a good way to loose a few pounds and it's good for mental health 

I think cycling to work is underrated when it comes to mental health, especially if you're cycling in traffic.

Not only do you get the benefits from the exercise but because you're cycling in traffic you legitimately don't have time to think about anything but your surroundings.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Rab said:

I think cycling to work is underrated when it comes to mental health, especially if you're cycling in traffic.

Not only do you get the benefits from the exercise but because you're cycling in traffic you legitimately don't have time to think about anything but your surroundings.

I'm not sure if its underrated I think alot of people do say it's a good way to help your mental health. We do cycle in britian more than any country in europe I think. At the moment I'm working as a temp but I've applied for a job which is local and you can't park so I would cycle. Which would be good. I'm hoping that if I cycle I start to swim again as well which I use to love

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

We do cycle in britian more than any country in europe I think.

You're not even close. Netherlands and Denmark are definitely on top, and there's at least a dozen of other European countries that cycle by far more than the UK.

17 hours ago, nudge said:

You're not even close. Netherlands and Denmark are definitely on top, and there's at least a dozen of other European countries that cycle by far more than the UK.

Netherlands are hardcore when it comes to cycling. I once cycled in Amsterdam, and when we were at a red light, at the milisecond it turned green I had someone literally bumping into me from behind (No, MUFC, not like that).

• Haha 2

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Tommy said:

Netherlands are hardcore when it comes to cycling. I once cycled in Amsterdam, and when we were at a red light, at the milisecond it turned green I had someone literally bumping into me from behind (No, MUFC, not like that).

Yeah it's mental. I'm pretty sure the Dutch are born with a bicycle xD I love it, though. Nowhere was getting around so easy as in the Netherlands. Granted, I lived in a much smaller city, so it was much more relaxed than Amsterdam xD

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Cycling is great and should be strongly encouraged as the default way of getting around large cities like London. Unfortunately the Great British weather doesn't lend itself to people being dead keen for it. Still a decent number of people get around London on their bikes. The rest of the UK aren't so good at doing so.

• 1 month later...

Back to training in the morning. Brought all my nutrion over the weekend. I love the fast pace and adrenaline when training. The heart pumping like subwoofer while fighting to carry on and never quitting. 

Which form of exercise do you enjoy? I only do intervals and HIT cardio now. I've always been hooked on exercises which are fast paced and full on with short breaks. Been this way since my teens.