talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man City 2-1 Liverpool - Thursday 3rd January, 2019

football forum

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah I think while we made good chances, we were a bit sloppy. And while it was a tight and cagey match... I don't think you can say City were a bit sloppy. They just seemed sharper overall on the night while we seemed a bit sloppier.

Probably a fair result given how things panned out on the pitch. But fuck me I am gutted. Although as @LFCMike said, if you'd told me this is where we'd be on January 3rd a month ago, with us 4 points ahead and lamenting a loss to this ridiculously good City side, I'd have said "fucking doubt it, but I'll take it." So I'll take it. But I'm gutted, would have been a great moment to fuck over a title rival and really put ourselves in the drivers seat.

Now I'm going to have to clench all fucking season long, assuming we don't fuck things up early. But also we're Liverpool so in the back of my mind all I'm thinking is "we're probably going to fuck this up early"

I need alcohol, I'm basically just a bag of nerves right now. xD

Spot on yeah. 

Hard result to take Im sure but ultimately you’re still in the driving seat and far easier games to come. 

I’m still gutted about the Wolves defeat, even more so now though 

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Why did he? That's a ridiculous call. He was up against one of the best young wingers in Europe and held his own. He also was the reason we scored. You rip into players far to easily. 

He had an odd game. There were spells were he was consistently intercerpting the ball and starting counters with his running patterns but then he also had minutes where he would constantly disappear and just gift Sane the wing.

For me being 19/20 isn't an excuse - not always anyhow. Really depends on how mature you are, which in Rick's case he is correct.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Don't think Alexander-Arnold had a bad game. Not as bad as being made out. Clear to see how much potential he has so no wonder he's touted as 'wonderkid' or could go on to be one of the best in the world.

Exactly. Don't see why after a performance like that, in the back yard of the Champions, against a player like Sane,  @Rick decides to rip into 19 year old Trent?

Fucking weird. 

I'm not sure where all the Trent hates coming from. The two goals come down his side but he's not helped by Lovren who's without doubt more at fault for the two goals than him if we're analysing the goals properly. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Exactly. Don't see why after a performance like that, in the back yard of the Champions, against a player like Sane,  @Rick decides to rip into 19 year old Trent?

Fucking weird. 

Be careful mate, that’s a bit spiteful that, no need to personally attack another player. Don’t want you getting in trouble with the authorities 

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

There probably are better players in Japan or Korea at his age and position to be fair. I haven't followed in depth. He's in the PL though because he's good enough and for being English. He lives there - so is he gonna start in bloody Bosnia?

Just my opinion but I find his "wonderkid" status ridiculous. He'll become something, but not a world class player in my eyes.

19/20 years of age, plays regularly for a good side in one of the strongest leagues in the world, has put in good performances against top class opponents in the CL last year... but yeah there's probably loads of untested Japanese and Koreans who play in leagues that are championship level (or worse) that are waaay fucking better at his age xD

The reason he might be considered a hugely talented young player is because he's a young player that's performing consistently at a very high level. You don't usually see defenders that young excel.

• Administrator

Next few league games:

Man City:
Wolves (H)
Huddersfield (A)
Newcastle (A)
Arsenal (H)
Chelsea (H)
Everton (A)

Liverpool:
Brighton (A)
Palace (H)
Leicester (H)
West Ham (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Man Utd (A)

Hard to tell how it'll all go but Man City have the League Cup games to contend with. 

It's a small margin but still think 4 points will be difficult to close down. I think a lot may even depend on when each side plays as no doubt many, if not all, games in March onwards will get moved for TV - I remember in 15/16 that we usually would play before Spurs who were our closest contenders. It's always good to have points on the board as opposed to playing catch-up and having the pressure of knowing you have to win to keep the chase on...

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMike said:

I'm not sure where all the Trent hates coming from. The two goals come down his side but he's not helped by Lovren who's without doubt more at fault for the two goals than him if we're analysing the goals properly. 

I agree to an extent, It’s certainly not hate from me, I think he’s a very talented young full back. However the key word there is young. City targeted him. And by association Lovren. I’ve seen him have this sort of game quite a lot against better teams and he still has a lot of maturing to do as a defender. But he’s an obvious talent and you have to stick with him or it would be counter-productive for the future 

Just now, Stan said:

Next few league games:

Man City:
Wolves (H)
Huddersfield (A)
Newcastle (A)
Arsenal (H)
Chelsea (H)
Everton (A)

Liverpool:
Brighton (A)
Palace (H)
Liverpool (H)
West Ham (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Man Utd (A)

Hard to tell how it'll all go but Man City have the League Cup games to contend with. 

It's a small margin but still think 4 points will be difficult to close down. I think a lot may even depend on when each side plays as no doubt many, if not all, games in March onwards will get moved for TV - I remember in 15/16 that we usually would play before Spurs who were our closest contenders. It's always good to have points on the board as opposed to playing catch-up and having the pressure of knowing you have to win to keep the chase on...

No idea how we're gonna get win against Liverpool at home. Difficult game that:ph34r:

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Next few league games:

Man City:
Wolves (H)
Huddersfield (A)
Newcastle (A)
Arsenal (H)
Chelsea (H)
Everton (A)

Liverpool:
Brighton (A)
Palace (H)
Liverpool (H)
West Ham (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Man Utd (A)

Think you forgot someone. You’re as bad as Sky. #disrespectful 

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

19/20 years of age, plays regularly for a good side in one of the strongest leagues in the world, has put in good performances against top class opponents in the CL last year... but yeah there's probably loads of untested Japanese and Koreans who play in leagues that are championship level (or worse) that are waaay fucking better at his age xD

The reason he might be considered a hugely talented young player is because he's a young player that's performing consistently at a very high level. You don't usually see defenders that young excel.

You would know better than me in this case as you're a Liverpool fan, but you are wrong about one thing: that TAA is automatically better than Japanese and Koreans playing in their league just because he plays in one of the strongest leagues in the world. Would you have said the same if TAA was Korean? He would have had to start in South Korea or wherever country he came from. He's English, he's not going to start in bloody Bosnia or Ukraine. He lives there and he cuts the bill at Liverpool but to me he's not a "wonderkid" and there are so many better Brazilian full backs at his age. I don't know about Japan and Korea but being "untested" doesn't make them worse.

Just now, MUFC said:

Heard that Klopp might be looking into putting him into CM in the future. Not sure if this is true or not.

I think that's just an assumption because he came through the ranks in midfield. He certainly has the attributes but we'll see

Course Trent is a talent. I'm not one to doubt that but when you put him up against Sane with that Muppet Lovren next to him is not gonna be an easy night is it?

My point is that he needs help, and as Storts said it's not the first time we've seen a performance like that where he's getting caught out of position against the big teams. 

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Fucking weird. 

Not only that, but apparently he doesn't understand why Trent gets a lot of praise for being a very good young fullback at the age of 19. xD

Just now, LFCMike said:

Yeah I was also thinking the same thing, up until that bullshit about those players in wank leagues being better. But Lovren's definitely more at fault for both those goals.

Kinda weird actually, because normally Lovren puts in these kinds of performances after running his mouth to the press about some shite (usually about how good he is). Haven't seen him do that recently, so I guess I wasn't expecting a Lovren horror show. It's frustrating because he wasn't that bad on the whole (he never really is tbh) - but a couple of mental moments and he's the clear weak link in the side.

The biggest concern for me today was how shite Milner was in the first half. That's not normal for him, he's usually a beast, and I hope this isn't a sign of age finally catching up with Milner.

I actually think TAA is better off as a fullback. I think he has potential to be something, but his technique is something that I can't see improving a ton and I think he's better suited to be a defender. Whether its CB or FB. Technique is absolutely key to be a central midfielder and he doesn't have it. He is however, good defensively and once he matures his positioning will become a whole lot better.

• The title was changed to Man City 2-1 Liverpool - Thursday 3rd January, 2019
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Not only that, but apparently he doesn't understand why Trent gets a lot of praise for being a very good young fullback at the age of 19. xD

Yeah I was also thinking the same thing, up until that bullshit about those players in wank leagues being better. But Lovren's definitely more at fault for both those goals.

Kinda weird actually, because normally Lovren puts in these kinds of performances after running his mouth to the press about some shite (usually about how good he is). Haven't seen him do that recently, so I guess I wasn't expecting a Lovren horror show. It's frustrating because he wasn't that bad on the whole (he never really is tbh) - but a couple of mental moments and he's the clear weak link in the side.

The biggest concern for me today was how shite Milner was in the first half. That's not normal for him, he's usually a beast, and I hope this isn't a sign of age finally catching up with Milner.

Lovren did talk about going unbeaten the other day, not in a particularly bad way but he has a habit of playing poorly after he says anything. To be fair I think it's harsh to blame him too much but he is going to be exposed against the very best from time to time. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Blue said:

You would know better than me in this case as you're a Liverpool fan, but you are wrong about one thing: that TAA is automatically better than Japanese and Koreans playing in their league just because he plays in one of the strongest leagues in the world. Would you have said the same if TAA was Korean? He would have had to start in South Korea or wherever country he came from. He's English, he's not going to start in bloody Bosnia or Ukraine. He lives there and he cuts the bill at Liverpool but to me he's not a "wonderkid" and there are so many better Brazilian full backs at his age. I don't know about Japan and Korea but being "untested" doesn't make them worse.

Oh come on behave, to be playing at this level for the team leading the Premier League and in the CL final last year has nothing to do with whether he’s English. It’s just that he’s supremely talented enough to be doing so.

And 95% these hypothetical Koreans or Japanese players would have been snapped up by European clubs long before they were 19/20 if they were that good 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Next few league games:

Man City:
Wolves (H)
Huddersfield (A)
Newcastle (A)
Arsenal (H)
Chelsea (H)
Everton (A)

Liverpool:
Brighton (A)
Palace (H)
Liverpool (H)
West Ham (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Man Utd (A)

We are playing ourselves? 

Nailed on 3 points then xD

• The topic was unpinned

Archived