talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FA Cup 2018/19 - Third Round Match Chat - 4-8th January, 2019

football forums

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Klopp won't be under any pressure for a long time, the fans love him and when a a manager is popular at Anfield it takes a lot for them to turn. 

Think he's fucked up here though. Not necessarily because they've gone out but the atmosphere has turned from one of positivity to doubt and worry after 2 consecutive losses. I think winning tonight would have been the perfect tonic for losing last week. Then he can throw the next game if it's so important. 

Think it takes more for them to have a real wobble. They rotated and got knocked out of the League Cup against Chelsea and lost three(?) group games in Europe already yet still took City away to actually see them lose in the league.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

This happens with literally every club in the country. The Mourinho witch hunt, while justified, has basically been going on from the day he took over at Old Trafford with Liverpool fans often at the heart of it, Wenger got battered all the time when he went through that phase of winning no trophies for 7 years or whatever it was, Poch despite clearly being a world class manager gets trolled because he's never won a trophy, Sarri doesn't seem to get it as much because most people are too ill-informed to know he's never won a major trophy but people who are aware of that also bring it up when discussing his suitability as Chelsea manager.

Even outside the top six, there's a widespread media obsession with managers being under pressure at any club. Basically all major betting companies have markets on which is the next manager gets sacked, we even have a thread on it which I believe is stickied and I'm amongst the worst for debating whether it will be Puel, Mourinho or Wagner to be the next to get the bullet, because we're all simpletons who thrive off of the theatre of which managers might come under pressure and who might get sacked next, and who might replace them so we can start hounding them too.

So yeah, it's not just Klopp.

I also criticised Marco Silva for fielding a rotated side in the League Cup game we got knocked out in earlier this season because Everton can't afford to go pissing away one of the two slightly less impossible chances of a trophy each season as we haven't won anything since 1995. Doesn't mean I thought it should mean he's instantly under pressure either. It really is just a discussion point and nothing more.

Yet :ph34r:.

That's bollocks, @LFCMadLad and I wanted Mourinho to get another contract extension not get sacked.

4 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Klopp won't be under any pressure for a long time, the fans love him and when a a manager is popular at Anfield it takes a lot for them to turn. 

Think he's fucked up here though. Not necessarily because they've gone out but the atmosphere has turned from one of positivity to doubt and worry after 2 consecutive losses. I think winning tonight would have been the perfect tonic for losing last week. Then he can throw the next game if it's so important. 

Agree with this. The psychological impact of losing two in a row is astronomically higher than that of losing one. That's my biggest concern. As much as I'd like to see us win the cup, I'm willing to sacrifice it this year if it helps our league campaign, but I don't think we have helped tonight.

Did you know Lovren has never started 7 consecutive games for us before today... his previous record is 6 games before he does something like get hurt or catch a cold or something.

But now he's hurt and we've only got 1 senior centreback now, so that's not great. Also we were knocked out of the FA Cup, which is also not great.

14 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Keita seems like a waste of money so far.

It's weird, he does something that makes you think 'that's class' then moments later he'll make a basic error and put us under pressure. Hopefully it's just a case of him still not finding his feet properly after his injuries. I'm confident he'll come good anyway

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Did you know Lovren has never started 7 consecutive games for us before today... his previous record is 6 games before he does something like get hurt or catch a cold or something.

But now he's hurt and we've only got 1 senior centreback now, so that's not great. Also we were knocked out of the FA Cup, which is also not great.

One plus from tonight for me was that Fabinho looked surprisingly good at CB. Think he will be ok there until Gomez returns.

It's modern football really that created these higher expectations, especially towards clubs that spent a significant amount. You can't really blame neutrals for criticsing your misfortune when you buy the most expensive CB and GK (at the time) in the world. 

Klopp may be untouchable at Liverpool given the great things he's doing there. However, neutrals will always question him if he continues to come up short. Liverpool win the league, no one will give a fuck about this. However, if he puts all his eggs in one basket and comes out empty handed, people will inevitably question him and his management. His past failures will also be brought into discussion again. 

He does deserve time but I do wonder when the notion 'as long as it takes' gets old for Liverpool fans. 

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

One plus from tonight for me was that Fabinho looked surprisingly good at CB. Think he will be ok there until Gomez returns.

Yeah, one of the only plusses. And the kids looked alright. But the senior players looked fucking awful and should feel ashamed of themselves.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

It's modern football really that created these higher expectations, especially towards clubs that spent a significant amount. You can't really blame neutrals for criticsing your misfortune when you buy the most expensive CB and GK (at the time) in the world. 

Klopp may be untouchable at Liverpool given the great things he's doing there. However, neutrals will always question him if he continues to come up short. Liverpool win the league, no one will give a fuck about this. However, if he puts all his eggs in one basket and comes out empty handed, people will inevitably question him and his management. His past failures will also be brought into discussion again. 

He does deserve time but I do wonder when the notion 'as long as it takes' gets old for Liverpool fans. 

I think as long as he stays cozy with the media, they'll probably not ramp up the pressure to get rid of him, which probably won't sway too many of our fans. It's a bit like when there was an outcry to sack Rafa after the first season where we regressed majorly under him and replace him with Hodgson, the media was never really fond of Rafa and he wasn't fond of them... but they ramped up the pressure on him hard and made everyone forget about the steady progress that was made the years prior and downplayed how bad our previous owners (that had us looking administration in the face) were. And once their man Hodgson was in, Hodgson was given so much fucking leeway by the media even after performances that would have had Rafa's Liverpool slaughtered by the press.

It's not fair and it's fucked up, but playing the media well is probably how he can prolong his career with us.

Anyone who wants us to sack Klopp now though after we seem to keep getting better and better each year though is just a dick who wants to see us get rid of a good manager and appoint someone else like that David Brent wannabe we had before.

• Subscriber

I still think people need to get that asking one question of one aspect of a manager's success does not automatically equate to asking whether his job is under pressure and whether they need to get rid of him.

I would just like to say that Moreno is a terrible football player. Never thought I'd look at a left back and think "Fuck, he's not even close to as good as Djimi Traore." But Moreno is an abysmal and every time he plays he just reminds me of how thankful I am that there was a whole season where instead of him playing as our only fit and healthy left back in the squad, we played James Milner there because James Milner is an actual football player.

I can't wait until Moreno is gone, I don't even know why Klopp bothers keeping him around or playing him. I know he's popular with the Brazilian lads, so maybe he's just around for morale. But he shouldn't play football for us because he's shite at football.

I would never expect Liverpool to field their strongest eleven tonight. No one in the Top 6 has done that this weekend. They are within their right to rest who they want and to be truthful, the players they had coming in tonight should have produced better than that. If I was Klopp, I'd be livid with them because there are a few players there that should have been chomping at the bit to start tonight and state a case for getting more minutes and they have failed miserably.

The only thing I would say about all this is it's a little blasé from fans who may be thinking they are above the FA Cup when they have lost the winning mentality in competitions. (This is a generalisation of Liverpool fans across all forms of social media)

If Liverpool finish the season with 10 more points than last season but still finish 2nd, could they honestly say they'd get more enjoyment from that over winning a final at Wembley to lift a trophy? 

Not buying it at all.

Let's not forget here that Wolves are no mugs!

3-1 over Tottenham

1-1 City

2-1 over Chelsea

1-1 at Arsenal

1-1 against United at Old Trafford

Our reserves and youth players losing    2 - 1 against them is no disgrace, even if the performance was poor. 

It's not like anyone is going to the Molineux getting easy wins, much less with a line up far from your best.

Wolves are very good against better sides than them as well. They have proven it enough times this season.

Klopp underestimated Wolves with that line up. It's got to be at least slightly annoying but it's probably not a major concern for him.

• Subscriber

While it was a poor display from us for most of the game you have to look at some of the players that actually turned the entire game into a lack of a contest for us and the only name that comes to the top of my mind is Moreno. I don't want to single the poor guy out considering he can be quite good, he has in the past, but if he never played football for the club again he'd be doing everyone a favor. I don't understand how a player can be so bad at the basics like being able to clear a ball or receive a ball and recover a losing position. If any club was even remotely thinking of taking Alberto Moreno I can guarantee they are doing this now.

please-stay-away-from-me.jpg

Archived