talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Schalke 2-3 Manchester City (1st Leg) - Wednesday 20th February, 2019

football forum

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

This is where city maybe get it a bit wrong. Sometimes you need to keep it tight at the back away from home in Europe I think

Amateur

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Stan said:

Schalke WTF. 2-1 up against 10-men. Bottled it.

Wouldn't say they bottled it. They were up against a team much better than them

1 minute ago, shut up said:

well Dortmund are top and they got tanned too :D

Well, they're in a bit of a "crisis" at the moment. 

So what about the 1st of the Premier League being unable to score at home against the 2nd of the Bundesliga? Even Fortuna Düsseldorf scored 3 in Munich :35_thinking:

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Well, they're in a bit of a "crisis" at the moment. 

So what about the 1st of the Premier League being unable to score at home against the 2nd of the Bundesliga? Even Fortuna Düsseldorf scored 3 in Munich :35_thinking:

Liverpool are not 1st, we are :readthemessage:

Realistically we had two shots on goal - both penalty kicks. Eleven players doing their best - which, apart from not being good enough reflected the Tedesco approach which simply is don't talk to each other, forget you are a team man and just do your own thing - no ideas, no system, no brains.  At one point I was fearing City were going to do him a favour - now a defeat on Saturday at Mainz, a draw against Fortuna and another loss in Bremen before City really show what they can do and the idiot should be out of a job and we can start to smile again.  Those watching tonight for the first time this season will think it's not too bad - this was as bad as it has been all season an we could have played another 90 minutes and only hoped for more penalties - bringing Burgstaller on just about summed the rubbish up!

32 minutes ago, Harry said:

Wow. Great character from city. Huge boost to the morale for the journey ahead. 

This is most unfortunate. ¬¬

I want them to go far in the competition and then get knocked out in the semis. More high pressure fixtures for them and the fact that City's owners want the CL more than anything might make them not focus on the league a bit.

The question is is it a good result for Everton? This could give city momentum which mean they stop Liverpool winning the league or they could have less energy and pick up more injuries and then Liverpool win the league :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Oh, makes it even worse that Prem Leagues 1st conceeded two against Bundesliga 14th :ph34r: 

City also conceded 2 against Newcastle

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I want them to go far in the competition and then get knocked out in the semis. More high pressure fixtures for them and the fact that City's owners want the CL more than anything might make them not focus on the league a bit.

I generally like most English clubs  to do well in Europe apart from man utd,spurs and Chelsea. I have a hard job wanting city to win because they are an oil club but they play such good football I do sometime like to see them do well.  I would definitely rather see them win than utd, spurs or Chelsea but I would favour any other English team against them

8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I wouldn't begrudge them winning the champions league in all honesty. I'd wish them well against any team other than us.

Other than the obscene levels of funding  they have and its unsavory origin in oil they've been at all times a likeable team that is well led, with likable players, and have done things in the right way. I haven't disliked any of their players since Robinho.

I think their owners and Pep would have more desire on the champions league this year so long may they remain in the competition.

But I'd wish them the hardest possible draw and that every single CL game they play is grueling, draining and nerve wracking with the aim of taking the maximum toll on their energy levels and focus from their league campaign.

A 2-1 loss that left them concerned for the return leg would have been a lot more ideal than a euphoric 3-2 against the odds away win. 

• Subscriber

I don't think we'll go very far with the way things are going for us but having said that neither will City. This isn't the kind of performance that breeds a sense that they'll win it all. There are teams on the other side of the bracket who would have taken what was given to Schalke and buried City when they were ten men down.

11 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I don't think we'll go very far with the way things are going for us but having said that neither will City. This isn't the kind of performance that breeds a sense that they'll win it all. There are teams on the other side of the bracket who would have taken what was given to Schalke and buried City when they were ten men down.

Let's be real. Both teams have the quality required to win it. Perhaps in such a grueling league campaign none will, or someone else will stand up to be counted but absolutely either one is good enough to beat one of Europe's top sides on their day. 

6 hours ago, Harry said:

I wouldn't begrudge them winning the champions league in all honesty. I'd wish them well against any team other than us.

Other than the obscene levels of funding  they have and its unsavory origin in oil they've been at all times a likeable team that is well led, with likable players, and have done things in the right way. I haven't disliked any of their players since Robinho.

Nah fuck ‘em, they’re owned by slavers basically. Can’t have them winning something their owners want

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47315415

Manchester City say one of their fans is in "a critical condition in hospital" after an alleged assault following their Champions League win over Schalke in Germany on Wednesday.

City won the first leg of the last-16 tie 3-2.

"The club are working with Greater Manchester Police and German Police to ascertain more information," said City.

"Club staff have remained in Germany to support the family of [the] injured City fan."

City have asked anyone with any information about the matter to contact police.

City took the lead in the game through Sergio Aguero before Schalke went 2-1 up after two Nabil Bentaleb penalties.

Nicolas Otamendi was sent off for the visitors but goals from Leroy Sane and Raheem Sterling secured victory.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived