talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Racism in Football

football forum

20 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The fucker posted a picture of himself in blackface - the guy's a total dickhead.

It doesn't make it okay but I'm not sure if it has the same connotations in France. It doesn't really in Australia and I didn't know it was a racist thing for a long time.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

It doesn't make it okay but I'm not sure if it has the same connotations in France. It doesn't really in Australia and I didn't know it was a racist thing for a long time.

I don't know if it has the same connotations in France... but I do think most black faced instances in most cultures are racist.

Just as one example of an instance of blackface I thought wasn't racist... but turns out it's super racist comes from Persian New Year - there's a Santa-like "character" called Haji Firooz who's in black face. There've been lots of explanations out there on how his depiction of blackface isn't racist (the most common one I've seen is "he's a Zoroastrian holy fire-lighter, so it's not blackface... he's just covered in soot" - which is I think what the Dutch say about Black Pieter too). But if you look into the history of this character, he's actually a fairly modern Persian invention... and he comes from a time where discrimination against Black Persians from the South of Iran was at it's highest and when mistral shows were popular in high society there.

I don't want to say all depictions of blackface are racist - but I'd venture to guess the origins of most blackface are incredibly racist. And either way, the man in question doing it was doing it in modern times and while claiming to be a fan of American culture/American basketball... I feel like he should have known better.

In any case, I think it's pretty hypocritical of these two players to be making the comments about the hotel staff's race and ethnicity as he's performing a service for them. Makes all of their "knee taking" look like a farce.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't know if it has the same connotations in France... but I do think most black faced instances in most cultures are racist.

Just as one example of an instance of blackface I thought wasn't racist... but turns out it's super racist comes from Persian New Year - there's a Santa-like "character" called Haji Firooz who's in black face. There've been lots of explanations out there on how his depiction of blackface isn't racist (the most common one I've seen is "he's a Zoroastrian holy fire-lighter, so it's not blackface... he's just covered in soot" - which is I think what the Dutch say about Black Pieter too). But if you look into the history of this character, he's actually a fairly modern Persian invention... and he comes from a time where discrimination against Black Persians from the South of Iran was at it's highest and when mistral shows were popular in high society there.

I don't want to say all depictions of blackface are racist - but I'd venture to guess the origins of most blackface are incredibly racist. And either way, the man in question doing it was doing it in modern times and while claiming to be a fan of American culture/American basketball... I feel like he should have known better.

In any case, I think it's pretty hypocritical of these two players to be making the comments about the hotel staff's race and ethnicity as he's performing a service for them. Makes all of their "knee taking" look like a farce.

The way I think of it in the context of France is that he obviously has a bunch of black friends and if none of them called him out on it before he posted the pic, it must have a different reception in the culture. But I'm not French so I wouldn't know, I just know that people see things differently in different cultures so you can't just frame everything with the same context. Americans lose their shit over the word 'cunt' but Australians don't is one example.

Just now, Spike said:

The way I think of it in the context of France is that he obviously has a bunch of black friends and if none of them called him out on it before he posted the pic, it must have a different reception in the culture. But I'm not French so I wouldn't know, I just know that people see things differently in different cultures so you can't just frame everything with the same context. Americans lose their shit over the word 'cunt' but Australians don't is one example.

In France people also say "fuck your race" and it's a socially acceptable insult xD

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

In France people also say "fuck your race" and it's a socially acceptable insult xD

And calling someone 'negrito' is friendly in some South-American cultures. People are different and we can't police it to the same ideals all the time. And on the subject of the persian holiday, does it really matter? How many black people are in Persia, and how many are being offended by it? It's like a tree falling in the woods with no one around.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

And calling someone 'negrito' is friendly in some South-American cultures. People are different and we can't police it to the same ideals all the time. And on the subject of the persian holiday, does it really matter? How many black people are in Persia, and how many are being offended by it? It's like a tree falling in the woods with no one around.

There's a pretty large population of black Iranians in the South of Iran and they've been vocal on Instagram & Twitter this year about how Haji Firooz is offensive to them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58263422

Joe Willock says he gets racist abuse on social media every day.

One of the reasons I don't use social media like Twitter. 95% it's people from impoverished nations being super racist for no reason at all. For some reason the third-world goat farmer usually has a lot to say on someone's skin colour.  Some of the worst I saw were Egyptians on Sergio Ramos' twitter saying how they would do things like 'rape his wife' and 'kill his dog children' after he injured Salah. What is wrong with people? Do they learn English only to say the worst thing in the language!?

Damn you think us westerners are bad then you spend any amount of time on facebook/twitter/whatever with a huge third world presence and it becomes a racist and sexual harassment hell hole. I once saw an Indian tell a Pakistani that 'nuke is coming' ffs xD

2 hours ago, Spike said:

One of the reasons I don't use social media like Twitter. 95% it's people from impoverished nations being super racist for no reason at all. For some reason the third-world goat farmer usually has a lot to say on someone's skin colour.  Some of the worst I saw were Egyptians on Sergio Ramos' twitter saying how they would do things like 'rape his wife' and 'kill his dog children' after he injured Salah. What is wrong with people? Do they learn English only to say the worst thing in the language!?

Damn you think us westerners are bad then you spend any amount of time on facebook/twitter/whatever with a huge third world presence and it becomes a racist and sexual harassment hell hole. I once saw an Indian tell a Pakistani that 'nuke is coming' ffs xD

I guarantee you most people on Twitter are definitely from the first world & mostly from the “Anglosphere” - and the racism is proportional, I’m sure.

I don’t disagree that Twitter is a cesspool, but let’s not try to pin all the bad behavior on foreigners because that’s definitely not the case xD

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I guarantee you most people on Twitter are definitely from the first world & mostly from the “Anglosphere” - and the racism is proportional, I’m sure.

I don’t disagree that Twitter is a cesspool, but let’s not try to pin all the bad behavior on foreigners because that’s definitely not the case xD

Twitter says the United Kingdom was "by far" the main origin of racist posts aimed at England players after the Euro 2020 final.

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It just depends where you look. Don't discount how many people have internet access these days, most of the world isn't first world, that's a very narrow selection. In my experience some cultures are much more open to expressing how they feel about race as it isn't stigmatised. This is a good article about it

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/

7 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Twitter says the United Kingdom was "by far" the main origin of racist posts aimed at England players after the Euro 2020 final.

I'm talking in general though, across the whole spectrum. Not just one incident. No one outside of England gave a shit that they lost.

Edited by Spike
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/09/2021 at 09:38, JoshBRFC said:

Get this signed 

Already signed it. I do genuinely believe that trump getting in power and  Brexit is making things worse. It's like people feel its acceptable for them to be racist now.  I'm not saying all brexiteers and trump voters are racist but I think it sent that message when both happened 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59169405

West Ham fans at it again. 

West Ham have condemned fans shown on social media singing an anti-Semitic song at a Jewish passenger on a plane.

The incident took place on a flight to Belgium, where West Ham were playing Genk in the Europa League.

West Ham drew the game 2-2 on Thursday and have qualified for the knockout stage of the competition.

"West Ham are appalled by the contents of the video circulating on social media and condemn the behaviour of the individuals involved," the club said.

They added they are "liaising with the airline and relevant authorities to identify the individuals".

The club continued: "We continue to be unequivocal in our stance - we have a zero-tolerance approach to any form of discrimination.

"Any individuals identified will be issued with an indefinite ban from the club.

"Equality, diversity and inclusion are at the heart of the football club and we do not welcome any individuals who do not share those values."

• Subscriber

One of the fans himself is recording what they were chanting from the video I have seen. How stupid do you have to be to think you're going to get away with this kind of behavior these days. I hope they get identified and banned for life. 

• Upvote 1