talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ajax (3) 2-3a (3) Tottenham - Wednesday 8th May, 2019 (SF 2nd Leg)

2 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

For every decent fan there’s 20 cunts it’s an affliction both fanbases sufffer from, Arsenal aren’t far behind 

Cause all Villa fans are saints, obviously. 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Don't even know how to react. Was looking forward to an Ajax Liverpool final. An all English final feels pretty bland unless it's Man City and Liverpool.

Gutted for Ajax but you've got to show more composure in defence. Conceding off chances created by Llorente and his physicality won't get you in the Champions League final. More gutted for them than I would be for a likeable Barcelona or Spurs team just because you know that team's getting dismantled over the next few transfer windows and it'll be 5 years before the next wave of young lads are ready to even think about another run at the final.

Ridiculous tournament this has been though.

How is everyone not excited for a final that most English fans that aren't fans of these two teams label bottlers constantly. Is it because we both can't bottle it?

I, for one, am excited for what the Game of Thrones writers would call "Battle of the Bottlers"

However, I think by virtue of both us and Spurs actually being in the final, neither of us are bottlers. Hard fought paths to get to the final and as this CL campaign has shown anything can happen. And both teams know they'll have to fight until the final whistle... and they'll both be believing they can because of how their respective semi-finals went.

It should be a cracking final.

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Incredible from Spurs.

I don't care about my opinion of them and where my alliances lie.

Football is incredible and one of my biggest passions and it has truly won the last two days.

I've got to go with this in the end. I've just witnessed two of the most exceptional, extraordinary games I can remember.

• Administrator

Can understand all the emotion of it all. Hard not to be emotional at these times when you've just reached a Champions League final in those circumstances when your backs are against the wall. When they've been underestimated for a lot of the time (including myself), too, it's understandable. 

Saw it with players like Milner last night and several Spurs players/Pochettino today. Don't blame them for the outpouring of emotion tonight, for sure. It's a momentous occasion and perhaps out of relief more than anything else after all the tension and stress they've just experienced. 

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

How is everyone not excited for a final that most English fans that aren't fans of these two teams label bottlers constantly. Is it because we both can't bottle it?

I, for one, am excited for what the Game of Thrones writers would call "Battle of the Bottlers"

However, I think by virtue of both us and Spurs actually being in the final, neither of us are bottlers. Hard fought paths to get to the final and as this CL campaign has shown anything can happen. And both teams know they'll have to fight until the final whistle... and they'll both be believing they can because of how their respective semi-finals went.

They are all just jealous they didn't made the final in this historic season 

10 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

For every decent fan there’s 20 cunts it’s an affliction both fanbases sufffer from, Arsenal aren’t far behind 

I have no idea what point you are making

Just now, Cicero said:

Think @Grizzly21 had a point when he mentioned that its far more dangerous to sit back on a 2/3 goal lead vs a 1 goal lead. Received quite a bit of stick for it too. 

This CL season justifies his claim. 

I was going to say something about that yesterday, but forgot about it.

Sometimes big leads can be dangerous and we don't even realize it.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Unfortunately that's probably true of most fanbases of all clubs. There's a pretty high cunt to non-cunt ratio, sadly.

I have had the miss fortune of being on the continent when Liverpool have been in the last 4 finals, some cunts just shouted to me now on the balcony to talk about Liverpool, “6 times” I shit you not, all clubs have cunts Villa included but Liverpool have more cunts than good fans. Spurs are just universal cunts regardless 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

These same people are the ones who scream "football won tonight" when Ajax went through in the last round. Yet, they twine and stomp their feet when it doesn't go their way. Gobshites, mate.

There's two teams in the final that have fought tooth and nail for their clubs, and people still can't show a little bit of respect and humility. 

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Batard said:

Spurs look shagged and lacking bottle, cannot see how they're going to roll over Ajax on their own turf after the drivel they served up against Bournemouth. Granted they were the better side for the first half of the first half, but they were wasteful and Son losing his head says all about the pressure being too great. 

That aged well 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Think @Grizzly21 had a point when he mentioned that its far more dangerous to sit back on a 2/3 goal lead vs a 1 goal lead. Received quite a bit of stick for it too. 

This CL season justifies his claim. 

Even the extra programmatic Rafa Benitez believes you need to always go for the win over both legs - he just also believes if you don't get it but get a "good result" away from home that's okay too - I think that's the right approach in Europe. I think it always has been, but sometimes playing very cautiously has worked really well too. There's probably validity in both approaches, but in the CL when every side is desperate to win it I think you've always got to try to kill off the other side's chances off as early as possible. Otherwise you get sides like Liverpool and Tottenham coming back to punish that because they're desperate to make the final.

It's certainly more entertaining for everybody you've got sides fighting to the end and giving it everything to progress.

10 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Not a fan of all this crying malarkey. Cry, maybe, if you win it. What happened to stoicism? 

Who cares people can do what they want that is a personal choice. In the modern world we are encouraged to express our emotions because it is much more emotionally healthy. 

7 minutes ago, José said:

Hella busy. Barely has time to even reply to my FB messages :60_sweat:. I know one thing, if spurs win it, ima fly straight to England and suck him dry. :112_lips:

If you do then walk up to Brentford for me lad.

So I'm going to be the villain in this thread. I said it on Twitter and now it's time to say it here. I'm glad Tottenham won. I preferred them over Ajax. It's a guilty pleasure. Don't get me wrong, Ajax would have been a great fairytale and if they had won, I'd have picked them as my choice of who I'd rather see win the final. However, in this matchup particularly I wanted Spurs

Ajax did very well to create this story given their financial limitations as opposed to better leagues. They deserve credit for that. However, Ajax has already won the Champions League before a couple of times and are already solidified as a great institution. I want to see a new team win it. That wasn't enough for me though. I think the whole backstory of Tottenham is what makes this a real tale. Harry Kane being able to prove why he should stay put at the club he loves, Pochettino silencing critics and finally reaching a final of something, and of course after years of mockery, Tottenham fans can finally get one over Arsenal if they win it, and Gunner fans will finally have competition instead of always being top of the pack.

Ajax had a great story, but my guilty pleasure is admitting that I preferred Tottenham's tale over Ajax's.

• The title was changed to Ajax (3) 2-3a (3) Tottenham - Wednesday 8th May, 2019 (SF 2nd Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived