Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

Truth or Myth - Stereotypes about your country/city

3 hours ago, nudge said:

Drowning pizza in ketchup is aesthetically similar to Americans putting ridiculous amount of "cheese" on any food. Always see those videos on my social media feed; looks awful and nearly makes me sick.

I know these videos. Starts with cheese and bacon, then some other stuff happens, in the middle it's more cheese and bacon, then more other stuff, and they end it with cheese and bacon. 

6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I know these videos. Starts with cheese and bacon, then some other stuff happens, in the middle it's more cheese and bacon, then more other stuff, and they end it with cheese and bacon. 

The worst one for me was watching a lovely huge steak being grilled perfectly only to be buried under a ton of horrid hot yellow melted mass they call cheese. Atrocious xD 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, nudge said:

The worst one for me was watching a lovely huge steak being grilled perfectly only to be buried under a ton of horrid hot yellow melted mass they call cheese. Atrocious xD 

Holy shit there's people that put cheese on steaks?

Monsters.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Philly cheese steaks are the bollocks 

Yeah but that's a sandwich with sliced steak?... not the actual whole steak drowned in cheese for whatever reason. And it was not even raclette-like; just the horrid yellow gooey mass haha. I can't find the video anymore.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Yeah but that's a sandwich with sliced steak?... not the actual whole steak drowned in cheese for whatever reason. And it was not even raclette-like; just the horrid yellow gooey mass haha. I can't find the video anymore.

Yeah I hate those videos. 20 seconds of staring at melting cheese being poured on to food. It's not appetising at all! I don't eat steak (beef, religious reasons, don't hate) but even so I can appreciate when it looks like something that would make you do this without the cheese addition:

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Spike said:

An isolated colonial civilisation with a homogenous population. Every country is racist, we just have a reputation for some reason.

Agreed

6 hours ago, Spike said:

There is a racist element in every nation. Nowhere is truly and fully accepting.

The funny thing is that Arab nations tend to be far worse with racism than any Western nation. The notion that Europeans/white people are uniquely racist becomes laughable once you interact enough with people who aren't white.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Panflute said:

The funny thing is that Arab nations tend to be far worse with racism than any Western nation. The notion that Europeans/white people are uniquely racist becomes laughable once you interact enough with people who aren't white.

Well of course, there has to be an element of superiority when a nation imports labour from other countries, steals their passports; promptly working them to death. 

6 minutes ago, Panflute said:

The Middle East is one of the most hateful places in the world. Arabs, Persians, Jews, Kurds, Yazidis, Bahias, etc… they all fucking hate each other (for the most part) - and that's before you even introduce people who are actually culturally different to the mix.

I found China to be really fucking racist as well tbh. Everyone fucking staring at me wherever I went - I bet it's worse going there if you're black. I think they're more xenophobic than anything else though.

6 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Southeast Asian nations as well. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The Middle East is one of the most hateful places in the world. Arabs, Persians, Jews, Kurds, Yazidis, Bahias, etc… they all fucking hate each other (for the most part) - and that's before you even introduce people who are actually culturally different to the mix.

I found China to be really fucking racist as well tbh. Everyone fucking staring at me wherever I went - I bet it's worse going there if you're black. I think they're more xenophobic than anything else though.

A friend of mine lived in China and his stories were enough to dispell any oriental myths about a noble and spiritual people. Humans are scumbags the world around. 

Just now, Panflute said:

A friend of mine lived in China and his stories were enough to dispell any oriental myths about a noble and spiritual people. Humans are scumbags the world around. 

You remember Sihanoukville? Well after the Chinese took over most of the businesses they made it very clear that others aren't welcome (both Khmer and non-Chinese expats). I know people who went to a restaurant there and were simply ignored lol; I had a not-very-nice experience in a shop too but at least they sold me stuff I needed and didn't straightout ignored me haha. And I won't even mention how they see the Cambodian locals as inferior. 

Your last sentence is spot on although I'd say that there are both good people and scumbags everywhere in the world and in every nation.

• Upvote 1

Alright well I can do a few.

We say "Eh" alot - we do but not nearly as much as people say, I do find myself usuing it on occasion and notice afterwards xD

We use "boot" as in no doot aboot it - Fuck me dead, no. Ive never heard anyone use this ever.

We love bacon - fuck yes.

We apologize alot - Definitely. Generally very polite people; although the latest generation might change that.

Poutine - Ive never been to Montreal or eastern Canada (where its famous) but our poutine here is awesome.

All of Canada lives in Igloos - Its not really that cold. I live on the west coast and the temperatures are quite mild. Winter doesnt really drop below 0 Celsius and summer doesnt really crest 30 for long. The East and up north is a different story but thats why noone important lives there.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, nudge said:

You remember Sihanoukville? Well after the Chinese took over most of the businesses they made it very clear that others aren't welcome (both Khmer and non-Chinese expats). I know people who went to a restaurant there and were simply ignored lol; I had a not-very-nice experience in a shop too but at least they sold me stuff I needed and didn't straightout ignored me haha. And I won't even mention how they see the Cambodian locals as inferior. 

Your last sentence is spot on although I'd say that there are both good people and scumbags everywhere in the world and in every nation.

I could notice even back then that they behaved like a separate caste. On the plane there I was asked if I wanted to switch seats with a Chinese guy because he was sitting next to a woman with a small child and he kept staring at her tits. All anecdotal and there are bound to be bunch of great people in that country, but they didn't make a great case for their nation abroad.

1 minute ago, Panflute said:

I could notice even back then that they behaved like a separate caste. On the plane there I was asked if I wanted to switch seats with a Chinese guy because he was sitting next to a woman with a small child and he kept staring at her tits. All anecdotal and there are bound to be bunch of great people in that country, but they didn't make a great case for their nation abroad.

I met a lot of great Chinese people at uni; a lot of it definitely comes with upbringing and education. I also had Chinese neighbours in SHV before I moved and they were lovely and well-mannered people too - but then they were also engineers/architects brought there to oversee a project and not a bunch of crooks. The problem is that those abroad are usually the ones with shitload of money from questionable activities and a bad attitude.

I'll do some San Diego stereotypes too, just for the fuck of it. Turns out most of the ones I could think of are... actually true.

• Everyone's in great shape. Mostly true, I'd say. The fact there's good weather and good beaches, means a lot of people spend time at the beach and do their best to make sure they've got their best "beach bods" - if you come here expecting to see the stereotypical "fat Americans" - avoid the beaches, because that's not where they keep the San Diego fatties
  • Every fucker loves craft beer & especially IPAs. Yep.
  • Everyone loves Mexican food. Yep.
  • San Diegans are scared of the rain. 100% true - people actually call in sick when it rains xD
  • San Diegans are shite drivers. Yeah, although tbh that's more of a Southern California thing generally - because the drivers are much worse in LA

Imo my own personal stereotype, I think most people who live in San Diego are pretty unprofessional - because the whole city sort of has a "we live in a holiday paradise" so everyone's pretty laid back. Don't ever count on people to be on time for anything, ever... including showing up to their fucking jobs on time.

6 hours ago, Toinho said:

Why is Pakistan a shit hole? @Azeem

Every country has some element of shit holeness in them we just have a reputation of it for some reason  :coffee::what:

Edited by Azeem

10 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

You need some lessons to understand them better mate... 

I was taking a dig at them xD infact i find Australians to be very brittle from the inside maybe that's why they pretend to be tough from the outside. Their Cricket players being an example, love to sledge but most of them can't handle it back. 

When there was that Australian shooter in Christchurch. When him being Australian was brought up in the discussion here, Spike and Toinho were being so touchy about it, things like these don't bother me at all cause I'm used to it :ph34r:xD so it was nice seeing them having that feel. 

17 minutes ago, Azeem said:

I was taking a dig at them xD infact i find Australians to be very brittle from the inside maybe that's why they pretend to be tough from the outside. Their Cricket players being an example, love to sledge but most of them can't handle it back. 

When there was that Australian shooter in Christchurch. When him being Australian was brought up in the discussion here, Spike and Toinho were being so touchy about it, things like these don't bother me at all cause I'm used to it :ph34r:xD so it was nice seeing them having that feel. 

Well it is a stereotype that is very believable and hard to disprove. I was touchy about it because (typically) some British users deferred to their condescending ‘colonial’ attitude. Less the accusation, more the haughty attitude surrounding it.

14 hours ago, Azeem said:

Not really, some are considerably more than others.

I feel pretty strongly that Australia is considerably less racist than many if not a majority of other countries.

Every living thing in Australia can kill you.... True in rural areas but overall false in the context of most people's Daily lives. I'm scared to type this for want of jynxing myself but I've never sighted in the wild any poisonous snake, Spider, jellyfish, octopus or crocodile.... 

9 hours ago, nudge said:

That's made me hungry, I love steak and ANY CHEESE!!  :P

• Sad 1

There's a stereotype of people from Bristol preferring rugby. Although football is far more popular. There is also a cider drinker steriotype. Although I don't think it is anymore popular than lager or beer.

16 hours ago, Harry said:

I feel pretty strongly that Australia is considerably less racist than many if not a majority of other countries.

Every living thing in Australia can kill you.... True in rural areas but overall false in the context of most people's Daily lives. I'm scared to type this for want of jynxing myself but I've never sighted in the wild any poisonous snake, Spider, jellyfish, octopus or crocodile.... 

Not really. I only ever saw a few snakes and spiders in my time. By the way they aren't 'poisonous' they are venomous. I think jellyfish are the most common offender.