talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Royal Family

football forum

How do you feel about the monarchy?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the monarchy?

• Fine as it is.
    • Should be kept but needs significant alterations.
    • We should start to look into abolishing it.

• Subscriber

Piers Morgan is actually reasonably intelligent and liberal once you take the massive audience away. I've watched hour-long interviews/debates between him with both James O'Brien and Owen Jones. There are two pretty glaring problems he has:

1) His demeanour on GMB is the television equivalent of clickbait, whether that be shouting at government ministers, shouting at Meghan Markle or shouting about gender issues. I'm not a fan of it at all even if it did have the benefit of putting some pressure on government ministers at the height of their pandemic mishandling in a way that most other mainstream news channels failed to do.

2) When he realises that he hits a spot where he gets a pretty high proportion of support from middle England like being anti-Meghan Markle or being scared of discussing transgender issues, it becomes an absolute obsession for him. Someone pointed out that he tweeted about Meghan Markle 57 times in the week leading up to the interview. For a man that has actually demonstrated an ability to change his mind, with justification, in the past, he really backed himself into a corner on this one because whatever he actually thought of the interview, he's committed to his position beforehand and he's so stubborn that it basically becomes a part of his personality.

It's a shame really. He has some characteristics which would make him one of the few journalists with the platform and inclination to actually bring some impartiality to the news in the UK but he spoils it with his man-baby behaviour like he did this morning.

We should also focus on how well the weather man Alex was able to put his point into such eloquent words. The broadcast and print media in this country really are in desperate need for more people who can put a point of view across in a calm and thoughtful manner.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

It's a shame really. He has some characteristics which would make him one of the few journalists with the platform and inclination to actually bring some impartiality to the news in the UK but he spoils it with his man-baby behaviour like he did this morning.

We should also focus on how well the weather man Alex was able to put his point into such eloquent words. The broadcast and print media in this country really are in desperate need for more people who can put a point of view across in a calm and thoughtful manner.

Someone dug up some footage of his treatment of Beresford. Listen to Piers' comments and compare them with his actions today. 

Basically Piers loves to dish it out, can't hack it (hehe) when he is given it back. 

Beresford was spot on. Didn't say a word out of turn or out of context. Piers hates the truth because it's not something he aligns himself with to get the clicks he craves. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

Was that banter including walking off though? Or did he actually walk off in a huff like Piers did.

Didn't seem like any of it was banter when Beresford walked off :what:?

Sometimes piers morgan days things I agree with but other times he talks shite. He doesn't understand transsexuals but he is always saying how they should act,he doesn't understand veganism but is always saying noncence about it. 

He has actually said some very anti racism stuff before but I think he has some old fashioned ideas and doesn't understand how some things can be seen as racist. Someone who has never received racist abuse doesn't get to decide what is racist.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

Was that banter including walking off though? Or did he actually walk off in a huff like Piers did.

I thought this too to be honest. At least it wasn't a full blown angry huff like this morning's one was.

What started the medias dislike of megan then? There is no doubt they took a disliking to her but the question is whether it was racist or not?

21 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

What started the medias dislike of megan then? There is no doubt they took a disliking to her but the question is whether it was racist or not?

I think a lot of the criticism of shite she did that was the exact same of the other prince's wife is most likely racist. I do think that she brought a lot of criticism on herself by saying shite like "I want to keep away from the media" while constantly being in the fucking media, though.

Imo, there's no "good" sides to anyone in this story. The royal family come out looking like racists, Meghan & Harry come out looking like spoiled and out of touch arseholes.

Honestly, this is all just a distraction from actual important issues. The royal family isn't important and certainly not worth this much news coverage.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think a lot of the criticism of shite she did that was the exact same of the other prince's wife is most likely racist. I do think that she brought a lot of criticism on herself by saying shite like "I want to keep away from the media" while constantly being in the fucking media, though.

Imo, there's no "good" sides to anyone in this story. The royal family come out looking like racists, Meghan & Harry come out looking like spoiled and out of touch arseholes.

Honestly, this is all just a distraction from actual important issues. The royal family isn't important and certainly not worth this much news coverage.

Or being in the media because they need a story, whether she likes it or not? 

When you say 'constantly being in the media' has she gone out of her way to be in the media (aside from this planned interview, of course). 

• Subscriber

791667649_ScreenShot2021-03-09at18_37_59.png.203cd8ce5731eaf67b521a5836c60299.png

That's the Buckingham Palace statement. They aren't admitting publicly any fault on their part but it's also hardly a declaration of war. At worst, they're disputing the recollection of the comment about the colour of the baby's skin. Leaves the door open for bridges to be built I think. The media are still clearly a bigger problem. Hopefully this accelerates the pace at which this story finds its way back out of the mainstream news cycle.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Piers Morgan has stepped down as presenter of ITV's Good Morning Britain following a row over comments he made about the Duchess of Sussex.

Christ alive, someone mentioned it already but he'll probably be at that new GB News by the end of the week if not the end of the day. xD

50 minutes ago, Stan said:

Or being in the media because they need a story, whether she likes it or not? 

When you say 'constantly being in the media' has she gone out of her way to be in the media (aside from this planned interview, of course). 

She was an actress who married a prince - you don’t do either of those things without media attention.

Do I think the press are a bunch of cunts? Absolutely. Were they/are they unfair to her? 100%. Should our media culture change? Yes, especially considering how the paparazzi hounding his mum is why she died.

But even so, I find it very hard to be sympathetic to Meghan Markle here. I’m not surprised the Daily Mail, a tabloid that’s geared to racists, was racist. I’m not surprised the media built her a bit up to attack her - that’s what our media does to anyone they build up. I seem to remember her being keen to continue “Harry’s royal duties” (whatever those are lol) while her being an actress.

In any case, I’ve just spent way more time thinking about this than any reasonable person possibly should. This meme sums up my views pretty well:

• Subscriber

I wonder how many rich and famous people have to talk about their mental health problems, admit to suicidal thoughts or actually take their own lives for us all to realise that your mental health doesn't give two shits about your bank account. Gascoigne, Speed, Cobain... Okay if you're bankrupt and you have 3 kids to feed and you don't know where the next meal is coming from, that's going to affect your mental health, but you can be sympathetic to those people whilst also being sympathetic to people that are suffering and also happen to have more money.

I keep hearing "she knew what she was getting herself into". Why don't we all think of any of the real life people we know who have suffered from mental health problems and we've been sympathetic towards. I bet the majority of them ended up there because of choices they made in their lives based on what they thought and felt at the time, Meghan Markle is no different and that stuff doesn't just go away because she's loaded. And while we're touching on it, she's just about the only one of them who became rich and famous because of her work and perceived talent (personally I never really liked her character on Suits) rather than who her parents are.

And before I end up offending anyone again, I want to be clear that this isn't in response to anyone specific, note that i haven't quoted anyone and I'm not trying for a 1 on 1 with anyone. But this issue of money somehow changing things when it comes to mental health is just something I disagree with, it's been mentioned by multiple people in this thread and that commentary is rife across many of the reaction pieces and social media in response to this interview.

That said, I'm personally a lot more likely to lose sleep over about 1000 other things than the feelings of two people I've never met who, despite my defence of her here, do come across at points in the interview as a bit whiny, attention-seeky and out of touch to me as well. I'm merely calling it how I see it on the mental health/suicidal thoughts side of things because I think the money thing needs addressing.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Contradicting yourself isnt a good reason to get the abuse she has though. She was definitely treated differently to Kate Middleton. You can literally compare some of the headlines she got for similar things.

Whether that is because they just took a disliking to her or whether at least some of it is racist is hard to say. Either way it was still horrible and reasonable that she wanted to get away from it.

I dont see how megan and harry look spoiled though didn't they give up their royal privileges?

5 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I dont see how megan and harry look spoiled though didn't they give up their royal privileges?

I believe Harry was still given 26 million or something of the sort. 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I believe Harry was still given 26 million or something of the sort. 

Ha ha ok. Should last him for a few weeks 

15 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I wonder how many rich and famous people have to talk about their mental health problems, admit to suicidal thoughts or actually take their own lives for us all to realise that your mental health doesn't give two shits about your bank account. Gascoigne, Speed, Cobain... Okay if you're bankrupt and you have 3 kids to feed and you don't know where the next meal is coming from, that's going to affect your mental health, but you can be sympathetic to those people whilst also being sympathetic to people that are suffering and also happen to have more money.

I keep hearing "she knew what she was getting herself into". Why don't we all think of any of the real life people we know who have suffered from mental health problems and we've been sympathetic towards. I bet the majority of them ended up there because of choices they made in their lives based on what they thought and felt at the time, Meghan Markle is no different and that stuff doesn't just go away because she's loaded. And while we're touching on it, she's just about the only one of them who became rich and famous because of her work and perceived talent (personally I never really liked her character on Suits) rather than who her parents are.

And before I end up offending anyone again, I want to be clear that this isn't in response to anyone specific, note that i haven't quoted anyone and I'm not trying for a 1 on 1 with anyone. But this issue of money somehow changing things when it comes to mental health is just something I disagree with, it's been mentioned by multiple people in this thread and that commentary is rife across many of the reaction pieces and social media in response to this interview.

That said, I'm personally a lot more likely to lose sleep over about 1000 other things than the feelings of two people I've never met who, despite my defence of her here, do come across at points in the interview as a bit whiny, attention-seeky and out of touch to me as well. I'm merely calling it how I see it on the mental health/suicidal thoughts side of things because I think the money thing needs addressing.

I don't think having money means you're free from mental health problems. But having millions does give you a lot more opportunity to get high quality treatment for mental health.

Rightly or wrongly, I've never really been all that sympathetic to the rich and famous... other than for musicians I like - so it's probably a bit of a personality flaw of mine. But I'll stick with my opinion on it whether it's right or wrong.

Archived