talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Lionel Messi - To Leave Barcelona

football forum

I don't see how Messi gets out on a free if the details are right. I doubt that the contract says 'end of the season', it will surely have a date? Now you could argue that date should have been moved given how the season has panned out but I doubt it will stand in a court of law, just like loads of players could leave at the end of June, that was the end and the clubs couldn't just say 'you're staying till the 'end of the season'.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding Messi's opt-out clause, if I were his lawyer what I'd argue is that the date of May 31st shouldn't be interpreted as May 31st itself, but instead as the last day of the month when the season ends. That's the true spirit of the contract. 

Therefore, since this season ended in August, Messi would have until August 31st to exercise this clause. 

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Regarding Messi's opt-out clause, if I were his lawyer what I'd argue is that the date of May 31st shouldn't be interpreted as May 31st itself, but instead as the last day of the month when the season ends. That's the true spirit of the contract. 

Therefore, since this season ended in August, Messi would have until August 31st to exercise this clause. 

That's what we are working with ;)  ..we haven't lost a court battle yet :ph34r:

• Administrator

Contract law is fairly unequivocal with fixed date clauses; If the contract states date parameters that is binding. Regardless of Coronavirus, which at best would be considered a force majeure which I have little doubt would also be accounted for rendering it dismissible as a reason to ignore the contractual dates. 

20 minutes ago, Batard said:

Contract law is fairly unequivocal with fixed date clauses; If the contract states date parameters that is binding. Regardless of Coronavirus, which at best would be considered a force majeure which I have little doubt would also be accounted for rendering it dismissible as a reason to ignore the contractual dates. 

What bearing on the case  would 30million cash dropped on the table have? :ph34r:

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

What bearing on the case  would 30million cash dropped on the table have? :ph34r:

May as well add the other 670m to the cash. If the contract has a date, the date holds power. The only other way out of it would be for Messi to argue Barcelona acted in such a way to constitute a breach of contract.  

1 minute ago, Batard said:

May as well add the other 670m to the cash. If the contract has a date, the date holds power. The only other way out of it would be for Messi to argue Barcelona acted in such a way to constitute a breach of contract.  

Id rather wait till next summer and get him free tbh if that's the fee  ..he could well play till he's 38 so no rush!

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Happy Blue said:

Id rather wait till next summer and get him free tbh if that's the fee  ..he could well play till he's 38 so no rush!

700m release clause bit steep for you guys? xD

• Subscriber

I wish he would hurry up and leave Barca or stay. xD

Quote.thumb.png.317a29480e48c6260d43d8d6cd92840e.png

What Pep Guardiola told Lionel Messi about Man City transfer during a phone conversation. (Metro) Arrow.png.10fa0d1b3a01f4f7234679e7de70cd9a.png

Manchester City would be willing to use Spanish defenders Eric Garcia, 19, and Angelino, 23, as makeweights in a deal for Messi, if they cannot sign him on a free transfer. (Manchester Evening News)Arrow.png.10fa0d1b3a01f4f7234679e7de70cd9a.png

Manchester City are prepared to offer Barcelona £89.5m plus Garcia, Portugal midfielder Bernardo Silva, 26, and Brazil forward Gabriel Jesus, 23, for Messi(Sport - in Spanish)Arrow.png.10fa0d1b3a01f4f7234679e7de70cd9a.png

1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

I wish he would hurry up and leave Barca or stay. xD

Quote.thumb.png.317a29480e48c6260d43d8d6cd92840e.png

What Pep Guardiola told Lionel Messi about Man City transfer during a phone conversation. (Metro) Arrow.png.10fa0d1b3a01f4f7234679e7de70cd9a.png

Manchester City would be willing to use Spanish defenders Eric Garcia, 19, and Angelino, 23, as makeweights in a deal for Messi, if they cannot sign him on a free transfer. (Manchester Evening News)Arrow.png.10fa0d1b3a01f4f7234679e7de70cd9a.png

Manchester City are prepared to offer Barcelona £89.5m plus Garcia, Portugal midfielder Bernardo Silva, 26, and Brazil forward Gabriel Jesus, 23, for Messi(Sport - in Spanish)Arrow.png.10fa0d1b3a01f4f7234679e7de70cd9a.png

You crackers if you think we would part with Bernardo or Jesus xD

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived