talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

14 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Cicero do you think they should sack sarri? I do admirer in some ways his determination to stick to his guns. Weather right or wrong I don't think managers can be swayed by what the media says. I think they have to do what they think is right

If you'd ask me a month ago, I'd say a definite no. 

However, in recent events Sarri has shown far too much stubbornness. From his in game management to his continuous use of under performing players. 

Still, in the grand scheme of things and long term vision of the club, I would still say we need him. This was never going to be an easy season with all things considered.

Last season after a title win we signed:

Willy Caballero - Free

Antonio Rüdiger - 29.000.000,00

Tiémoué Bakayoko - 40.000.000,00

Álvaro Morata - 58.000.000,00

Davide Zappacosta - 23.000.000,00

Danny Drinkwater - 35.000.000,00

Ross Barkley - 15.000.000,00

Emerson - 17.500.000,00

Olivier Giroud - 18.000.000,00

Total of 235 mill spent.

Rudiger is good, Emerson and Zappa decent for cover, Ross squad player at best so is Giroud the rest are piss.

If i spent 235mill at my job in vain with no end product i would be sacked. Not sure what is Marina still doing in her job?

The Drinkwater signing alone should of been enough to warrant a sack. 

But the real travesty there, is that going into that season, we knew we had to strengthen our wingbacks (Alonso & Moses).

Manchester City got Walker, Mendy, and Danilo done before August. We signed fucking Zappacosta on deadline day and got Emerson who was still recovering from ACL surgery that following January. 

Such incompetence. 

I've read there are comments that Azpilicueta said that Kepa not going of is not his problem. Can someone please post the link/interview where that happened? Also as much as i love Azpilicueta and think he is a model pro he is too kind to be the captain. We need someone who will demand authority and bring order into this team. To be honest no warriors in this team, perhaps Rudiger could be that man? Usually the one to step up and apologize for a defeat and seem's to genuinely care about the results.

1 hour ago, True Blue said:

I've read there are comments that Azpilicueta said that Kepa not going of is not his problem. Can someone please post the link/interview where that happened? Also as much as i love Azpilicueta and think he is a model pro he is too kind to be the captain. We need someone who will demand authority and bring order into this team. To be honest no warriors in this team, perhaps Rudiger could be that man? Usually the one to step up and apologize for a defeat and seem's to genuinely care about the results.

Interesting comment.

No warriors. Need someone to stand up.

And yet when the goalie does that, stands up, and says he will fight, stands up and refuses to be subsituted, especially when its penalty shootout, and being subsituted is the easy option, he stays and fights, and people are up in arms. I mean nobody would have blamed him. People would have said, what a great keeper, kept a clean sheet, had an unfortunate cramp, maybe would have won the shootout if he stayed.

He would have lost noting by being subsituted. NOTHING. But he stood, stayed and fought.

Great character exhibited by the keeper. And a great performance by Chelsea, to face a team that smashed them for six about a month ago, and keep a clean sheet.

Sarri is a joke of a manager, and one that Chelsea should actually sack, and not the stopper.

So the story we've been sold is that Keppa was injured, Sarri went to sub him off before knowing the full extent of the injury. Keppa refuses because he can play. Sarri fumes. Then Sarri fumes again. Keppa plays the shootout, mixed bag for him. Sarri then declares that it's all G.

Either Sarri is incompetent for trying to pull out his no 1 keeper before knowing the extent of the injury or it's bullshit. I don't buy the 'tactical change' angle 

As an aside, why are there no FA laws preventing this? If your number goes up in red that should be an official substitution and the player should have to comply under FA rules. If he doesn't walk off security and or the refs should grab him.

Edited by Devil-Dick Willie

13 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

So the story we've been sold is that Keppa was injured, Sarri went to sub him off before knowing the full extent of the injury. Keppa refuses because he can play. Sarri fumes. Then Sarri fumes again. Keppa plays the shootout, mixed bag for him. Sarri then declares that it's all G.

Either Sarri is incompetent for trying to pull out his no 1 keeper before knowing the extent of the injury or it's bullshit.

As an aside, why are there no FA laws preventing this? If your number goes up in red that should be an official substitution and the player should have to comply under FA rules. If he doesn't walk off security and or the refs should grab him.

Probably because of the footballer's associations and the likes.

1 hour ago, AMG said:

And yet when the goalie does that, stands up, and says he will fight, stands up and refuses to be subsituted, especially when its penalty shootout, and being subsituted is the easy option, he stays and fights, and people are up in arms.

There is a difference between someone being a fighter and someone who just thinks he can do what he likes and is simply defiant.. I understand that he would have wanted to stay on, most people would have but if your numbers up then you should be coming off.. If you are not going to respect the managers decision then what is that telling us?? 

There can be no excuses for it, none at all. When both Sarri and then Zola gestured for him to come off he was like a kid who didn't want to come from playtime.. just flatly refused to come off.. There could have been no confusion as far as I am concerned, the club have done a rush job to try and dumb down the utter embarrassment of the whole situation... They would have known after the first time when he went down if he was going to be fit enough to carry on and they left him on and took a chance but when he went down again Sarri was not going to risk it.. Sarri was so angry about the situation it was probably all he could do to not walk on the pitch and drag him off by the collar... that does not come from a simple misunderstanding.. 

There is too much player power in general in football but especially at Chelsea, players who quite frankly deem themselves better than they actually are and performances that are more likened to mid table standards... yesterday was one of those rare one off performances we all know they are capable of but they are too few and far between for the money being thrown in their direction and I do lay the blame at the upper management, when ever it goes tits up in a season the manager is always the one to suffer... We need a clear out and that includes Hazard and managers need to be backed for the long haul not the short term..

Just a bunch of individuals trying to play as a team rather than a team blessed with great individuals... 

Edited by Bluewolf

1 hour ago, AMG said:

Interesting comment.

And yet when the goalie does that, stands up, and says he will fight, stands up and refuses to be subsituted, especially when its penalty shootout, and being subsituted is the easy option, he stays and fights, and people are up in arms. I mean nobody would have blamed him. People would have said, what a great keeper, kept a clean sheet, had an unfortunate cramp, maybe would have won the shootout if he stayed.

He would have lost noting by being subsituted. NOTHING. But he stood, stayed and fought.

Great character exhibited by the keeper. And a great performance by Chelsea, to face a team that smashed them for six about a month ago, and keep a clean sheet.

Sarri is a joke of a manager, and one that Chelsea should actually sack, and not the stopper.

He is a warrior because he refused to come off when he was clearly subbed? No he is a tool for not coming off, and players of his character should not be welcome in any professional club.

Azpilicueta will always make sure his 'pals' are taken care of vs the best interest of the club. 

Just when it looked like we have taken a step forward, more bollocks takes us two steps back. 

Going to be an interesting end of the season and summer. 

Team played very well and was set up in a far more intelligent manner compared to the over open display at the new Maine Road a couple of weeks ago. I felt, and those around me in the ground, as the game progressed we became more and more confident they wouldnt score and we became a stronger unit moving forward. I guess the drawback to how he set up the side left us without someone to finish off the great work the rest of the team produced late in the game. Alas, all this has been destroyed by a mad moment of miss-understanding. 9_9

Our record signing goalkeeper behaved like a child who was looking forward to being the hero, only to have it taken away from him for cry-wolfing one too many times.

While he is at fault, those immediately below the manager do not come out of this well and this has fueled an outbreak of sorrow towards the manager from the important people talking about this, the Chelsea fans.

Even people like myself who never wanted him anywhere near my club, feel for him and how the pictures portrayed him & will be used time again in the future as an example of this kind of thing.

Its not the worst example I can remember in Sport. Back in the 90's Adrian Dantley refused to be substituted during a Detriot Pistons Basketball game by coach Chuck Daly. While blows were not exchanged at the time, its said they were in the locker room.

I doubt blows were exchanged at Wembley, but the aftermath of the game strengthens the belief their will be a caretaker manager soon after the Spurs game.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I think there is the rule that if the board goes up and number shown, player should leave.

Regarding the last point, can you imagine the uproar if referees man-handled and grab players xD?! They don't like being touched themselves (behave), so can you imagine if referees were able to give it back!

Well they can 'not like it' all they want, they are disobeying the rules of the game. If a player was dismissed then he can be removed by the officials, and or security, the same should happen here. I'd love to see some Premier League fanny declining the invitations of two 17stone, 6,6 doormen from Hackney's invitation to exit.

I feel for Sarri but I cannot believe he backed down, the game should not have continued till the player came off. if Kepa refused he should have been sent off by the referee, obviously with the player technically not being an active player they could still bring Caballero on.

Edited by The Artful Dodger

Think the Chelsea players on the pitch at the time of the Kepa incident should all take some form of responsibility. Maybe I’m talking as a fan here and I’m showing more of an interest into the tangible side of Football over the financial side of the game but if there was an injured player on my team refusing to go off at a crucial stage of a Cup Final, regardless if it was only the Carabao Cup, I’d be dragging them off the pitch myself, whether I was the captain or not. 

That player, in a key position that at that point of the game looked as though he was about to play a key role in the game, could be the difference between me lifting a trophy and getting a Cup Final winning medal or not getting one and that’s what would matter to me at that stage, not whether I thought the manager was right or wrong, whether the Keeper was actually injured or it was tactical or whether I thought the manager was a miserable looking bore who stank of stale fags. 

2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Think the Chelsea players on the pitch at the time of the Kepa incident should all take some form of responsibility. Maybe I’m talking as a fan here and I’m showing more of an interest into the tangible side of Football over the financial side of the game but if there was an injured player on my team refusing to go off at a crucial stage of a Cup Final, regardless if it was only the Carabao Cup, I’d be dragging them off the pitch myself, whether I was the captain or not. 

That player, in a key position that at that point of the game looked as though he was about to play a key role in the game, could be the difference between me lifting a trophy and getting a Cup Final winning medal or not getting one and that’s what would matter to me at that stage, not whether I thought the manager was right or wrong, whether the Keeper was actually injured or it was tactical or whether I thought the manager was a miserable looking bore who stank of stale fags. 

It was an awkward situation. Don't think any of our players experienced anything like that before. Hence the confused looks all around. 

Azpilicueta, Rudiger, and Luiz are the only players on the pitch you can realistically put a 'leader' tag on them. But even then, they are still minuscule to our legendary spine character wise. 

Azpilicueta led by example, except it hasn't saved him this season performance wise. Luiz had Terry, Lamps, and Drogba looking out for him, and Rudiger is still fairly new to the team. 

Not one of them knew how to handle the situation. 

4 hours ago, Stan said:

I think there is the rule that if the board goes up and number shown, player should leave.

Regarding the last point, can you imagine the uproar if referees man-handled and grab players xD?! They don't like being touched themselves (behave), so can you imagine if referees were able to give it back!

That's why I said security. The refs go over and have a chat, and if the player won't fuck off, security nabs them

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

It was an awkward situation. Don't think any of our players experienced anything like that before. Hence the confused looks all around. 

Azpilicueta, Rudiger, and Luiz are the only players on the pitch you can realistically put a 'leader' tag on them. But even then, they are still minuscule to our legendary spine character wise. 

Azpilicueta led by example, except it hasn't saved him this season performance wise. Luiz had Terry, Lamps, and Drogba looking out for him, and Rudiger is still fairly new to the team. 

Not one of them knew how to handle the situation. 

Tbf, most players have never experienced anything like that. It was a truly bizarre moment. Azpilicueta's statement which was basically "well it's not really my problem, and I didn't even see it" was a shambolic statement from a captain.

I definitely agree with @Smiley Culture that the Chelsea players on the pitch share a degree of culpability here, and if not all Chelsea players on the pitch... then definitely the senior players. If it was my club, I'd want Kepa gone along with Azpilicueta and virtually everyone else.

2 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Kepa fined a week wages apologized to Sarri and his team mates. Sarri said all is well and merry now so this means Kepa starts on Wednesday.

The Chelsea way.

Disappointed with that. I was hoping Sarri would show a bit of backbone and also drop him from some games. Not unexpected though.

1 minute ago, Large said:

Disappointed with that. I was hoping Sarri would show a bit of backbone and also drop him from some games. Not unexpected though.

Expected exactly this to happen, if he dropped him for a month it would be a good punishment, this was he showed players can do what they like with no or very little consequences.

2 minutes ago, Large said:

I think we knew something like this would happen.... rush in with a statement from both manager and player with a quick cover story hoping all the drama will fade away .. If they fined him then there was no mis- understanding was there.. Trouble for Sarri is if he had wanted to drop him or stick him in the reserves for a bit I doubt that would sit well with those that forked out the best part of 70mill for him... Sarri is just on to a loser all round..