talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

40 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Alonso gets his first call up with Spain. Fully deserved although I wonder if they will use him as a winger?

Alonso has been getting a lot of plaudits all over Europe in recent weeks and after his excellent performance in the Champions League against Barcelona he's earned its!

The thing is that he can only play in a 3 at the back which is why Conte went in for him.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well I guess just True Blue saying he's not consistent enough to be the team star or something along those lines.

He's been saying that for years. 

Literally no one has turned on him inspite of wednesday's performance. 

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

He's been saying that for years. 

Literally no one has turned on him inspite of wednesday's performance. 

In relation to this and your team selection further up, what coach do you hope for because those types of players (like Hazard also) need a corageous coach that believes in an attacking game using improvisation and not so much a rigid disciplinarian approach.

9 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

In relation to this and your team selection further up, what coach do you hope for because those types of players (like Hazard also) need a corageous coach that believes in an attacking game using improvisation and not so much a rigid disciplinarian approach.

Of those rumored, Sarri 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Of those rumored, Sarri 

I would be amazed if Sarri leaves Napoli but if he did and went there, he's another that hasn't got any issues with going public about what he wants if he feels he isn't getting it.  He definitely has what I see as the right approach to football.

I'll add another thing about Sarri and that is that he has never worked under the pressures of having to deliver trophies.  He's never worked at that level because at Napoli the pressure is the hope of a city and a particular culture, a people that see themselves as unique.  What I'm saying is that a job like Chelsea at this stage in his career could be one of two things, his road to ultimate glorification or ending up as just another coach that was overhyped.  The pressure at Chelsea is something he knows nothing about.

33 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I'll add another thing about Sarri and that is that he has never worked under the pressures of having to deliver trophies.  He's never worked at that level because at Napoli the pressure is the hope of a city and a particular culture, a people that see themselves as unique.  What I'm saying is that a job like Chelsea at this stage in his career could be one of two things, his road to ultimate glorification or ending up as just another coach that was overhyped.  The pressure at Chelsea is something he knows nothing about.

Conservative football is a dying style with the game continuing to evolve. Having technical players in every position really is the way football is moving towards, and those clubs that are financially better off, will be taking the most advantage.  Guardiola really revolutionsed the game in 2008-09. 

Give me a manager with balls and has a hard on for technical players vs tall/strong players. The football Sarri has produced with Napoli was incredible. Who ever the next manager may be, time and support won't be given to him unless there are changes in the board room. Otherwise it's a repetitive cycle. 

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Conservative football is a dying style with the game continuing to evolve. Having technical players in every position really is the way football is moving towards, and those clubs that are financially better off, will be taking the most advantage.  Guardiola really revolutionsed the game in 2008-09. 

Give me a manager with balls and has a hard on for technical players vs tall/strong players. The football Sarri has produced with Napoli was incredible. Who ever the next manager may be, time and support won't be given to him unless there are changes in the board room. Otherwise it's a repetitive cycle. 

Have you watched 16 of the teams in the Premier League this season? xD

I agree with what you're saying though to be fair and Chelsea really need to find another way beside this constant cycle of managers winning a title then having a huge slump. The winning shows there's clear potential to create a dynasty there but it keeps falling down every time they have a chance to build on it.

12 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Have you watched 16 of the teams in the Premier League this season? xD

I agree with what you're saying though to be fair and Chelsea really need to find another way beside this constant cycle of managers winning a title then having a huge slump. The winning shows there's clear potential to create a dynasty there but it keeps falling down every time they have a chance to build on it.

I'm saying for clubs to be successful. Don't think conservative football will reap rewards for a club in the future. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Cicero said:

I'm saying for clubs to be successful. Don't think conservative football will reap rewards for a club in the future. 

As with most things, I believe it will ebb and flow. In a couple of years someone will find a way of shutting down teams like City and everyone will try and copy that. Then someone else will find a way to break that model down and the cycle continues.

Of course it will. The 60s, 80s, and 00s all had teams playing conservative football succeed. Herrera, Sacchi, Mourinho, all coaches had their heyday when conservatism was at its peak

19 minutes ago, Spike said:

Of course it will. The 60s, 80s, and 00s all had teams playing conservative football succeed. Herrera, Sacchi, Mourinho, all coaches had their heyday when conservatism was at its peak

Yet football has evolved since then and continues to evolve. Technical players in every position seems to be the way football is moving forward, and I don't think conservative football in today's game will have any benefit other than the occasional odd trophy here and there. It's been 6 years since the last time a team managed to win the Champions League playing conservatively. 

Edited by Cicero

Yet football has evolved since then and continues to evolve. Technical players in every position seems to be the way football is moving forward, and I don't think conservative football in today's game will have any benefit other than the occasional odd trophy here and there. It's been 6 years since the last time a team managed to win the Champions League playing conservatively. 

And that team got hammered by Barce and Bayern, was just luck of the draw for it to finally come off for Chelsea after all those years of playing defensive football.

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

The last 2 copa americas and euros were won by teams playing conservatively to be fair. 

I think the more limited coaching time with intl football perhaps makes it more worthwhile to focus on a defensive system. 

I'm obviously not a coach but if I had to guess, training lots of attacking variations and positioning is probably a slower and more complicated process than training your defensive shape and marking scheme for whoever your next opponent is. So if you're trying to get the most out of a group of players with a limited familiarity in only a couple of weeks of training, you probably get more out of your time by focusing on defensive preparation, even if it means leaving your players largely to work it out themselves creatively.

This is probably why it's also a big advantage to have players who are used to playing with each other, and to have a kind of philosophy instilled and maintained in the national team like with Germany, Spain and Chile in their tournament wins. 

With club football there's just so much more time that at a certain point continual defensive coaching is going to bring you more and more limited returns. You can only drill a team into its shape so well. At a certain point you have to move on to working on how your team attacks, and developing a deeper kind of understanding than just picking the players and sending them out, and hoping your training gets a clean sheet and the players get a goal. 

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

You can’t blame Hazard for not reaching his potential though mate. It’s the six managers that he’s played under that have stifled him :ph34r:

Yeah because Salah didn't play under 5 managers in Chelsea, Roma, Fiorentina and now Liverpool.