talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2020/21 Matches - 28-30th December, 2020

football forums

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arsenal got lucky tonight if Brighton actually had a striker who could finish.   I thought Elneny and Holding were awful, they gave away position so much away in dangerous areas in the first half, Mari is looking like a great defender, looks solid and just keeps things simple.  I wonder if he would be able to play with Gabriel as they are both left footed so moving one on the right side might make things awkward but worth a go.  Auba was very poor as well, he should be benched now for Lacazette who seems to have found some kind of form.   

Arsenal still desperately need a creative midfielder I hope they will bring one in the January transfer window, also need to offload Ozil, Pepe, Elneny, Mustafi, Luiz and Willian who has been dreadful.

I’ve a fear we are going to see a very frustrating game tonight where we drop points. Newcastle are hardly doing well, but they have the ability to hold off for a shithouse result just like West Brom did. 

Really need to see ruthlessness tonight from the players when we get chances, just like the Palace game. 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Rick said:

I’ve a fear we are going to see a very frustrating game tonight where we drop points. Newcastle are hardly doing well, but they have the ability to hold off for a shithouse result just like West Brom did. 

Really need to see ruthlessness tonight from the players when we get chances, just like the Palace game. 

Surely not?! 

3-0 win for you lot. Comfortable. You'll see a reaction from the West Brom draw no doubt. 

25 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I think Leeds United, Klich and Ben White (there's a surprise) are coming across as pretty small time here getting triggered by this comment. A long break will benefit those that have covered the most distance. Its hardly rocket science.

It’s very poor from an official club account, who’ll no doubt tweet about mental health, yet they’ve hung someone out to dry and invited people to have a pop. 

In fairness, the comment from Carney was a bit silly. Leeds United had had a wobble in February and then recovered, think they'd won their past 4 games before lockdown. They then lost their first game after lockdown. To suggest they went up because of COVID is very hard to justify.

It's one of them, I think Leeds are fine to have a bit of a joke about it, which I think is what was intended. The problem is with social media you'll get the usual misogynistic, hateful mob sending her all kinds of bollocks because of it.

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I think Leeds United, Klich and Ben White (there's a surprise) are coming across as pretty small time here getting triggered by this comment. A long break will benefit those that have covered the most distance. Its hardly rocket science.

Think it's a bit disingenuous to say they won because of COVID though. 

Don't see the issue in Leeds making light of it with a tweet. 

What it allows is the mongrels going for her and her comments as a result. 

In fairness, we’re seeing a very brief part of a broader discussion.

Brentford lost three on the spin post-restart, they hadn’t done that since November 2018 and West Brom limped over the line and won just three games post-restart. Leeds kicked on and won their games, to say they went up as a result of Covid may be incorrect, there’s definitely some merit to saying it effected their rivals and played a part in Leeds winning the league by so many points, which is kind of relevant when you’re discussing West Brom v Leeds United. I have no idea who this woman is to be honest, I can’t say I recognise her from Sky, BBC or elsewhere and I’d say it was a poor choice of wording her point rather than her genuinely thinking Leeds got promoted because of Covid. 

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Whilst Leeds of course have a right to reply, they should - and I suspect will - have known full well what the reaction would be. Football clubs enjoy a hell of a lot of influence and power on social media and by doing this, they have facilitated the utter vermin on Twitter who hide their bigotry and irrational hatreds behind anonymous usernames. Women who hold any sort of position above and beyond a fan in the Men's game tend to face enough as it is - certainly at the level of exposure Carney, Smith etc. are.

Leeds could have made their point well enough without throwing Carney under the bus. Yes it wasn't the best point to make and in general I don't find her all that as a pundit, but indirectly encouraging a pile on? Nah. Poor form.

Of course the irony in all of this is that if she or anyone else had said something, you'd just have freaks going on about 'Rent free'. Football Twitter really is awful these days.

• Subscriber

Honestly, I'm not sure about this talk of Man Utd competing for the league. Still think they've got too many flaws and Liverpool will be too strong.

Liverpool and Man Utd both being in contention for the title is unpalatable to me. Most Man Utd fans of my generation are completely entitled because they won everything growing up. My cousins are the worst for it, when they've been bang average for 5 years it's "oh I didn't see the game" and "oh I've gone off football these days to be honest, too much diving and VAR". Suddenly this Christmas they were all back onto it again and talking as if they've watched every Premier League game this season. One of them is an amateur referee and tried to claim that Cavani squeezing Mina's throat last week was six of one and half a dozen of the other because Mina had a handful of his shirt.

Genuinely rather Liverpool ran away with the league again than have them and Man Utd as the two elite clubs in the country. Can't believe I'm saying it but it's true. And I'll get accused of being an "anyone but United" moron by the genuinely decent Man Utd fans on here but you have to realise that people feel that way about your club because so many of your fans are entitled, arrogant cunts.

Leeds' Twitter account has been getting accusations of misogyny for obvious reasons, which I don't think is fair as they do this to anyone they see fit. But it's worth thinking about the repercussions before you fire off a Tweet like that. Are you inciting a pile-on, etc.

To be honest, though, I'd want my club's Twitter to be above that sort of thing anyway, male or female. I guess I'm not the target market, but just give me official news, pictures and highlights, and do the talking on the pitch. Leeds are usually relatively harmless with it, but official accounts "bantering" on Twitter is generally so cringe

I also think pundits should be held to a certain standard, but it's obviously inappropriate for football clubs to be the ones to do that. Besides, that's far from the most egregiously stupid thing one's ever said, probably not even this week

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I can't say I'm too arsed about the Social Media accounts be it ours or anybody elses, they all seem to pander to the masses to generate likes or attention. The tit for tat point scoring isn't really for me.

Sometimes they might make you chuckle, but in the main they should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I do think pundits in general need to remember though that when you've heard the same lines over and over again it get's a bit tedious. All we ever hear is we'll tire out. But in the two season's we've had under Bielsa, tiredness hasn't been an issue.

And in this case, when you hear it's to do with Covid, well we had 5 straight wins before that, we were actually on fire and it initially disrupted our rhythm so to suggest that as a reason is a tad ignorant of the situation. 

If the punditry remains lazy, expect to get some criticism is all I'd say.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Honestly, I'm not sure about this talk of Man Utd competing for the league. Still think they've got too many flaws and Liverpool will be too strong.

Liverpool and Man Utd both being in contention for the title is unpalatable to me. Most Man Utd fans of my generation are completely entitled because they won everything growing up. My cousins are the worst for it, when they've been bang average for 5 years it's "oh I didn't see the game" and "oh I've gone off football these days to be honest, too much diving and VAR". Suddenly this Christmas they were all back onto it again and talking as if they've watched every Premier League game this season. One of them is an amateur referee and tried to claim that Cavani squeezing Mina's throat last week was six of one and half a dozen of the other because Mina had a handful of his shirt.

Genuinely rather Liverpool ran away with the league again than have them and Man Utd as the two elite clubs in the country. Can't believe I'm saying it but it's true. And I'll get accused of being an "anyone but United" moron by the genuinely decent Man Utd fans on here but you have to realise that people feel that way about your club because so many of your fans are entitled, arrogant cunts.

I’ll get you a top with Salah on the back 

As for Utd winning the league, I really can’t see it. The win yesterday was a completely fluke, a game which was very 50/50, which is a difference to how in some games we are knocking on the door and finally break through late on in the match. Still really waiting on City to wake up because they are the biggest threat in my opinion, Chelsea and Spurs are far too inconsistent for it. I know Everton & Leicester are up there too but again I don’t see them being strong through all the season. 

I still believe we will win it, but how comfortably depends on just how fast we can get Matip back or if we end up bringing a defenders the club in January. The prospect of Henderson being taken out of the midfield or playing Williams/ Phillips back there for the foreseeable is far from ideal. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Rick said:

I’ll get you a top with Salah on the back 

As for Utd winning the league, I really can’t see it. The win yesterday was a completely fluke, which is a difference to us knocking on the door all game and getting a left break through in some games. Still really waiting on City to wake up because they are the biggest threat in my opinion. 

I'm not sure it was fluke, as such. The goal itself was fluky but they got in to the right position to at the right time to force the game in the end. The fact they're up there and still in touch of yourselves means they must be doing something right. It's gone past the point now where Ole gets a good result every 3 or 4 games to stop the calls by the media for him to be sacked. Think I heard yesterday they're now unbeaten in 9 league games? Similar to yourselves?

What will be the test, and I think it's valid to think this, is the demands of the 2nd half of the season and the pressure on the players to deliver. Liverpool have a very positive recent record of it given the CL runs and then a couple of seasons of going right to the end of the league season and smashing it in one of them. Being honest, I can't see them winning the league either, but that's not to say they won't continue to push. If Fernandes stays fit they have a chance. He's an absolute cunt (and every team has them) but he's delivering every single game, be it assists or goals. 

4 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It also helps when your striker can post racist language on Instagram and not get a ban at all. Would any other club get away with it?

Just like when Schemichael racially abused Wright in the 90s, nothing is done when it's Manchester United involved

Just 18 months ago Bernardo Silva done something similar and got a one match ban and a fine. Granted, one match is still a joke, but for Cavani to get away completely is fucked. 

8 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'm not sure it was fluke, as such. The goal itself was fluky but they got in to the right position to at the right time to force the game in the end. The fact they're up there and still in touch of yourselves means they must be doing something right. It's gone past the point now where Ole gets a good result every 3 or 4 games to stop the calls by the media for him to be sacked. Think I heard yesterday they're now unbeaten in 9 league games? Similar to yourselves?

What will be the test, and I think it's valid to think this, is the demands of the 2nd half of the season and the pressure on the players to deliver. Liverpool have a very positive recent record of it given the CL runs and then a couple of seasons of going right to the end of the league season and smashing it in one of them. Being honest, I can't see them winning the league either, but that's not to say they won't continue to push. If Fernandes stays fit they have a chance. He's an absolute cunt (and every team has them) but he's delivering every single game, be it assists or goals. 

Through the whole game, the Wolves goal was threatened twice. The goal & the Fernandes attempted that Greenwood put in the box. Other than that, Wolves gave more than a good account for themselves and they were missing a striker. I just think Utd have a very soft belly, and if you get at them it’s likely they start falling to bits. 

Liverpool players have a mentality I’ve never seen in all my years of watching this football team. Nobody in the league can match the perseverance & effort that this team of players have shown in the last three years. That’s where I think we have the edge....well than and the fact that our players are much fucking better than theirs. 

Archived