talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Roy Hodgson Leaving Crystal Palace

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A chance for Palace to change up their style and go for something a bit fresher and more attacking, they’ve been such a dull side to watch pretty much since Bolasie left. 

Just need to make sure they do their research on the new manager, I.e. not Eddie Howe.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

A chance for Palace to change up their style and go for something a bit fresher and more attacking, they’ve been such a dull side to watch pretty much since Bolasie left. 

Just need to make sure they do their research on the new manager, I.e. not Eddie Howe.

It’ll be Dyche 

Firstly, I think today is the best day to make an announcement. It gives the fans the opportunity to give Roy a thank you send off tomorrow night against Arsenal who are a big club that we play historically play well against.

I've always remained positive under Roy Hodgson's reign because in the future when people evaluate how much clubs have spent over the previous three seasons Roy's tenure will absolutely be viewed in a positive light. Regardless if the next Manager has a Brendan Rodgers at Leicester impact or a Paul Hirst at Ipswich impact. We were the butt of all Paddy Power jokes after the Frank de Boer debacle and despite having an injury ravaged squad every season we've never once been in threat of going down. When you think back to how bad some of our summer transfers windows have been, I cannot imagine how difficult the last three years have been to keep Palace up as a manager yet he's made it look pretty simple.

At the same time, unless you unearth a Pep Guardiola or a Jurgen Klopp you have to weigh up the positive and negatives of every manager and make decisions based on what suits the football club at the time. Thanks to Roy Hodgson we are in a position where relegation is no longer a concern, but the side lacks the flair that we used to be associated with and he's shown an unwillingness to give young players the freedom on the pitch to flourish. He did it against Aston Villa last weekend and I cannot wait to get back in a stadium because of how good Eze and Mitchell look.

With fans returning, now seems to be the best time for everyone to move on. I have full faith in Steve Parish to appoint the right man given his relatively successful track record. When things are going wrong he's not afraid to pull the trigger. He's a fan and a very astute businessman and I trust everything he does is in the best interest of the club.

I'm nervous but excited. Something I haven't really felt since the FA Cup Final.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

I think fans that expect an immediate change in philosophy and style will be in for an immediate shock. It will probably take about three transfer windows to sign the personel to execute an effective change in transfer style. Mark Hughes only managed to do it relatively quickly at Stoke because Peter Odemwingie as a January signing stretched the play brilliantly despite not appearing on any data geeks radar.

35 minutes ago, Rick said:

It’ll be Dyche 

Steve Parish said when Ian Holloway left that the club wouldn't appoint a person in a job ever again because of the grief the Dougie Freedman to Bolton scenario caused. Albeit that was over eight years ago.

50 minutes ago, Rick said:

It’ll be Dyche 

Unless they have a tonne of money to spend I don’t see Dyche leaving, also think Dyche is a lot more direct than Hodgson and fans have given him grief for his style of play.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Think it would be more fitting if ten years later he still couldn't deliver Liverpool top four.

He made up for his time as Liverpool manager last year tbf to him. Letting us win 7-0 while we’re a shambles this year was just a cherry on top.

I think it’s actually quite a tough job for a new manager to come in - Palace have a net spend of around £50m in 5 years under Roy. He’s actually done a really good job with that kind of spending in this league and probably doesn’t get enough credit for it.

If I we’re Palace (weird thing to say because I can’t be a football club), I’d go for Dyche like @Rick says. He’s proven to be a capable manager without needing to spend much - and what Palace can spend goes beyond what Burnley can spend.

Someone like Lampard I think is too big of a risk because he’s got a lot of learning to do and spent a lot at Chelsea to not really take them forwards. Gerrard too - managing Rangers is a hell of a lot different than managing Palace.

They need someone with proven pedigree in a top flight league who’s shown they can do decent work on a tight budget. It’s a pretty small list, I think.

28 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Too much of a risk. Think it was evident from his time with us he virtually had no structure in place. 

This is the big concern people have with him. At the same time I think he probably looks at the challenge or replacing so many out of contract players and wonders if its worth it. I wouldn't be against the appointment but he's on an even keel with the other candidates despite managing a large club.

16 minutes ago, Danny said:

Unless they have a tonne of money to spend I don’t see Dyche leaving, also think Dyche is a lot more direct than Hodgson and fans have given him grief for his style of play.

The Twitter fans will turn on Dyche by Christmas but the majority will see value in him. His family are in London but I don't think Parish will poach a Manager. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He made up for his time as Liverpool manager last year tbf to him. Letting us win 7-0 while we’re a shambles this year was just a cherry on top.

I think it’s actually quite a tough job for a new manager to come in - Palace have a net spend of around £50m in 5 years under Roy. He’s actually done a really good job with that kind of spending in this league and probably doesn’t get enough credit for it.

If I we’re Palace (weird thing to say because I can’t be a football club), I’d go for Dyche like @Rick says. He’s proven to be a capable manager without needing to spend much - and what Palace can spend goes beyond what Burnley can spend.

Someone like Lampard I think is too big of a risk because he’s got a lot of learning to do and spent a lot at Chelsea to not really take them forwards. Gerrard too - managing Rangers is a hell of a lot different than managing Palace.

They need someone with proven pedigree in a top flight league who’s shown they can do decent work on a tight budget. It’s a pretty small list, I think.

Could argue given how shite you were for the next seven games that the seven nil win was a part of Roy's masterplan xD

Since Roy has come in I don't think we're in a negative net spend. Maybe Eze pushed us over but the sale of Wan-Bissaka was seen as a partial balancing of the books after Sam Allardyce was given a blank cheque book to keep us up. The fact we were top five spenders before Roy came in kind of sums up how he's turned us from a laughing stock to boring in the most complimentary fashion possible because it was a huge task to do that in the first place.

The only Palace fans whose opinions I value say the same things as you regarding Lampard, Dyche and what the next Manager needs to be. I'm slightly more optimistic because I believe in Steve Parish and the people he surrounds himself with. The biggest pressure will be on Dougie Freedman this summer to work with the new manager with the alleged 50m budget. If we were to appoint Frank and his backroom staff they'd take a large chunk of that. Thankfully Dougie built a great team for us before and hopefully can work with people to do it again.

• Subscriber

It feels like a quite risky job to take, it's going to require a really good first summer for whoever comes in.

I said it ages ago to you on here but Bordalas from Getafe might be a good fit. Gone a bit poor this season but he's done some pretty impressive stuff there.

Just looked and he's leaving them at the end of this season. Could be a wildcard pick here. Getafe are quite comparable to Palace in some ways.

I've always liked Roy Hodgson and I think that it's kind of an end to an era seeing him retire from management. He made huge changes to Swedish football when he managed there and he also found a lot of success with the Switzerland national team in the 1990's. Other national teams he managed include the UAE, Finland and of course England. He also spent most of his managerial career managing clubs all over Europe, until he returned to England to manage Fulham in 2007. He's had a very interesting managerial career and he has always been a gentleman. As he heads into his mid 70's, perhaps it's understandable that he has decided retire, nevertheless, for me, his presence as a football manager will be missed. 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Pulled out is the new code for Not Considered.

Given how much him and his entourage would cost it may be for the best.

what about 'sensationally pulled out' xDxD 

Sounds like something @MUFC would do.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I've tagged @MUFC myself mate, so he should have seen it from that, no? Not sure if there is an issue with my account.

I tagged him as well, but then so did you, so I wanted to get a professional tagger in just to make sure @MUFC received the tag. 

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, Stan said:

@CaaC (John) can you tag @MUFC please just in case he didn't see the above? Thanks. 

21 minutes ago, Stan said:

I tagged him as well, but then so did you, so I wanted to get a professional tagger in just to make sure @MUFC received the tag. 

Ok...boss...are you there @MUFC O.o

Archived